Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HabsRuleForever

Suspensions and Officiating

621 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, RCAF48 said:

Wish a couple of those "jerks" played for us rather than some of the nice gentlemen we have that have given us so much success. 

Absolutely. Didn't say those players couldn't play. Some of them are also elite talents. But those guys in my view

- play the game dirty and take cheap shots when they can

- don't get called for penalties and suspensions as much as they should. We've seen Chara repeatedly excused for dangerous hits without suspension with excuses like "the stanchion is what caused the injury" or "it's not Chara's fault he hit a guy in the head, cause he's so tall"... by this logic, you could bring a steel pipe on the ice and use it to beat players down because it's the object doing the damage and players like Gerbe and Desharnais could clip opponents whenever they wanted because it's not their fault that's where small guys line up their hits. Ovechkin is another guy who is obviously a fantastic player but who has made his fair share of reckless hits from behind and up high and with leaving his feet, and he usually gets off without even a warning. We all know about Kreider running goalies (and not just Carey), and Matt Giordano is one of the dirtiest players in the league and rarely pays the price. The only ones on my list who get called for what they do are the lesser talents, like Kassian, Wilson, and so on. But it's clear the NHL lets off the better-skilled dirty players just to keep them on the ice.

On 2/13/2020 at 6:58 PM, H_T_L said:

That's the going rate for a Boston player.

Would Chara have gotten at least 20 games if you had your way?  

NHL.com.  San Jose forward Evander Kane will have a hearing for elbowing Winnipeg defenseman Neal Pionk at 6:58 of the third period.  Kane was assessed a minor for elbowing at 6:43.  

6 hours ago, CANADIENS27 said:

Would Chara have gotten at least 20 games if you had your way?  

Here's a cross-check that Nazem Kadri threw at Jake Debrusk in last year's playoffs...

https://russianmachineneverbreaks.com/2019/04/15/nazem-kadri-suspended-remainder-of-the-first-round-for-vicious-cross-check/

He was given a suspension for the rest of the round (which could have been up to 5 playoff games).

So please tell me how this cross-check to the neck area was different than Chara's. Usually, the NHL uses a 2-3 to 1 ratio to determine playoff vs regular season game suspensions, so by that practice, you would say Chara deserved 10-15 regular season games for his suspension. Yet he got no games. Because the NHL always does what it can to minimize suspensions to Boston and especially Chara.

12 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Here's a cross-check that Nazem Kadri threw at Jake Debrusk in last year's playoffs...

https://russianmachineneverbreaks.com/2019/04/15/nazem-kadri-suspended-remainder-of-the-first-round-for-vicious-cross-check/

He was given a suspension for the rest of the round (which could have been up to 5 playoff games).

So please tell me how this cross-check to the neck area was different than Chara's. Usually, the NHL uses a 2-3 to 1 ratio to determine playoff vs regular season game suspensions, so by that practice, you would say Chara deserved 10-15 regular season games for his suspension. Yet he got no games. Because the NHL always does what it can to minimize suspensions to Boston and especially Chara.

Both cases were completely uncalled for.  

Well,,,,, CJ vented after last nights mess. Another game decided by zebras. Looks like the directive from Bettman is to help us get as high a pick as possible to fill that building on draft day in Montreal.:rolleyes:

3 hours ago, H_T_L said:

Well,,,,, CJ vented after last nights mess. Another game decided by zebras. Looks like the directive from Bettman is to help us get as high a pick as possible to fill that building on draft day in Montreal.:rolleyes:

Doncha know that the lottery might be fixed as well? Just a thought. 

Wife did some research and found that Morton doesn't like the Pens either ,and gives them a lot of penalties that were/are "suspicious".

CJ has been fined $10,000 for his comments regarding the refs in Sat. night's game.

31 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

CJ has been fined $10,000 for his comments regarding the refs in Sat. night's game.

Slash to the throat costs you 5k, complaining about the refs twice the amount. The definition of reasonable in the NHL.

1 minute ago, ChiLla said:

Slash to the throat costs you 5k, complaining about the refs twice the amount. The definition of reasonable in the NHL.

So true.:rolleyes:

Do the refs get fined for their potty mouth??? I think not.

15 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

So true.:rolleyes:

Do the refs get fined for their potty mouth??? I think not.

Yeah, good question. I guess being caught on camera dropping f-bombs in a player's face when you're supposed to be impartial is considered acceptable behavior.

1 hour ago, kinot-2 said:

I wonder where Bergevin and Molson are in all of this. Sipping lattes? 

24 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

I wonder where Bergevin and Molson are in all of this. Sipping lattes? 

I mean, it wasn't Marc or Geoff that got fined $10,000. :D I'm sure Julien will be alright. And if we think Bergevin or Molson will say anything publicly to upset the league status quo... Well, that might be wishful thinking.

NHL.com.  Philadelphia defenseman Matt Niskanen has been fined $5000 for slashing Columbus forward Gustav Nyquist at 19:38 of the third period.  

NHL.com.  Ottawa forward Scott Gabourjin has been $1881.72 for unsportsmanlike conduct at 11:23 of the third period.  Gabourjin was given a ten minute misconduct.  

NHL.com.  New Jersey forward John Hayden has been fined $2016.13 for cross checking Detroit forward Tyler Bertuzzi at 19:14 of the third period.  Hayden was given a major and a game misconduct.  

NHL.com.  St. Louis forward Oskar Sundqvist has been $5000 for roughing Chicago defenseman Adam Boqvist at 14:54 of the second period.  Sundqvist received a minor for roughing and a minor for elbowing.  

NHL.com.  Rangers forward Brendan Lemieux will have a hearing for interference against Colorado Joonas Doskoi at 17:08 of the third period.  Lemieux received a minor for interference.