Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HabsRuleForever

Suspensions and Officiating

621 posts in this topic

NHL.com.  Washington forward Tom Wilson will have a hearing for an illegal check to the head of Pittsburgh forward Zach Aston-Reese.  The incident occurred at 9:47 of the second period and there was no penalty.  Aston-Reese suffered a broken jaw and a concussion and will miss the remainder of the playoffs.  He will also need surgery.  

4 hours ago, CANADIENS27 said:

NHL.com.  Washington forward Tom Wilson will have a hearing for an illegal check to the head of Pittsburgh forward Zach Aston-Reese.  The incident occurred at 9:47 of the second period and there was no penalty.  Aston-Reese suffered a broken jaw and a concussion and will miss the remainder of the playoffs.  He will also need surgery. 

Here's my take on the incident, for which Wilson has been given 3 games: it was a clean hit by the rules. It's maybe not the most popular take and I don't even really enjoy saying it myself, but I've watched the hit several times and I can't find anything that makes the hit illegal.

Wilson is a dirty player. He's a repeat offender with multiple infractions. He hasn't learned from any of this and continues to be reckless. And his laughing at Aston-Reese is simply sickening.

BUT...

- Wilson hits him straight on. Aston-Reese is watching him and leans into the hit too. There was no interference and there was no blindside hit.

- Wilson doesn't leave his feet before contact.

- Wilson hits shoulder to shoulder and then moves up into the head afterwards. But as per the NHL's own policy, the head is simply not the primary point of contact.

So I don't know. I think the rules should be changed. I think players like Wilson should be suspended for hits like this. But under the current rules, I don't think you can simply suspend a guy for 3 playoff games because you don't like him or because another player got hurt from a clean hit. As dirty a player as Wilson is, the hit itself was not against the rules if you ask me. Would love to hear what other people think and what exactly about the hit might be illegal.

45 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Here's my take on the incident, for which Wilson has been given 3 games: it was a clean hit by the rules. It's maybe not the most popular take and I don't even really enjoy saying it myself, but I've watched the hit several times and I can't find anything that makes the hit illegal.

Wilson is a dirty player. He's a repeat offender with multiple infractions. He hasn't learned from any of this and continues to be reckless. And his laughing at Aston-Reese is simply sickening.

BUT...

- Wilson hits him straight on. Aston-Reese is watching him and leans into the hit too. There was no interference and there was no blindside hit.

- Wilson doesn't leave his feet before contact.

- Wilson hits shoulder to shoulder and then moves up into the head afterwards. But as per the NHL's own policy, the head is simply not the primary point of contact.

So I don't know. I think the rules should be changed. I think players like Wilson should be suspended for hits like this. But under the current rules, I don't think you can simply suspend a guy for 3 playoff games because you don't like him or because another player got hurt from a clean hit. As dirty a player as Wilson is, the hit itself was not against the rules if you ask me. Would love to hear what other people think and what exactly about the hit might be illegal.

I disagree. Wilson does in fact hit the head first. Wilson may have been on his feet when contact was made but he jumped into the check and must have been close to a foot off the ice after the hit. This indicates to me an intent to injure. Unlike the regular season no pay is forfeited since the players don't get paid in the playoffs(I'm pretty sure this is true) so an extra game or 2 is fine by me.  As long as players hit to injure an opponent these incidents will never go away. Wilson could have just hit him enough to take him out of the play but he had to go that extra mile and try to hurt him. And yes, the rules should have been changed a long time ago but the NHL loves the violence.

Edited by habs1952

14 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

I disagree. Wilson does in fact hit the head first. Wilson may have been on his feet when contact was made but he jumped into the check and must have been close to a foot off the ice after the hit. This indicates to me an intent to injure. Unlike the regular season no pay is forfeited since the players don't get paid in the playoffs(I'm pretty sure this is true) so an extra game or 2 is fine by me.  As long as players hit to injure an opponent these incidents will never go away. Wilson could have just hit him enough to take him out of the play but he had to go that extra mile and try to hurt him. And yes, the rules should have been changed a long time ago but the NHL loves the violence.

I think we're agreed that the rules stink. They're inconsistently enforced, but they also leave wiggle room for rulings to be made or not made. I absolutely think Wilson is a dirty player and maybe he meant to hurt Aston-Reese or maybe he just didn't care if that happened as a consequence. That said, here are a couple of freeze frames (I know they don't always do justice but this is the closest I can find):

screen-shot-2018-05-02-at-9-24-12-am.png

tom-wilson-hit-960x480.jpg

He definitely drives up after the initial contact, but at the point that the hit is made, it's face-to-face, Wilson's feet are on the ice, and the primary point of contact (as you can see here) is shoulder to body. The NHL has over the years made a big fuss about whether the head is picked or whether it's the initial point of contact, neither of which is the case here. They also tend to excuse players when full body contact is made, and that's the case here.

Does he get the head too? Yes, but slightly after the shoulder contact.

Is Wilson a deplorable human being who shouldn't have been laughing at the injury? 100%.

Is it unfortunate that Aston-Reese got hurt? For sure.

I honestly don't want to be defending Wilson, but I also want to see the NHL be consistent and get calls right. They've let worse go unpunished frequently, and the ruling just isn't consistent with what they've stated in the past. I have no problem if the league wants to suspend for this, but they should have previously announced a change in policy, whereby any head contact is now punishable.

My biggest beef is the non-calls... it is simply deliberate ignorance of the rule-book

Wilson got 3 games. 

14 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

I think we're agreed that the rules stink. They're inconsistently enforced, but they also leave wiggle room for rulings to be made or not made. I absolutely think Wilson is a dirty player and maybe he meant to hurt Aston-Reese or maybe he just didn't care if that happened as a consequence. That said, here are a couple of freeze frames (I know they don't always do justice but this is the closest I can find):

screen-shot-2018-05-02-at-9-24-12-am.png

tom-wilson-hit-960x480.jpg

He definitely drives up after the initial contact, but at the point that the hit is made, it's face-to-face, Wilson's feet are on the ice, and the primary point of contact (as you can see here) is shoulder to body. The NHL has over the years made a big fuss about whether the head is picked or whether it's the initial point of contact, neither of which is the case here. They also tend to excuse players when full body contact is made, and that's the case here.

Does he get the head too? Yes, but slightly after the shoulder contact.

Is Wilson a deplorable human being who shouldn't have been laughing at the injury? 100%.

Is it unfortunate that Aston-Reese got hurt? For sure.

I honestly don't want to be defending Wilson, but I also want to see the NHL be consistent and get calls right. They've let worse go unpunished frequently, and the ruling just isn't consistent with what they've stated in the past. I have no problem if the league wants to suspend for this, but they should have previously announced a change in policy, whereby any head contact is now punishable.

The hit may be made but if he's driving up there is no way he is going to miss the head. That's a head shot that circumvents the rules and re-inforces the fact Wilson deliberately intended to injure.

3 hours ago, habs1952 said:

The hit may be made but if he's driving up there is no way he is going to miss the head. That's a head shot that circumvents the rules and re-inforces the fact Wilson deliberately intended to injure.

Sure, I'm not disagreeing with that. But then change the rules.

4 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Sure, I'm not disagreeing with that. But then change the rules.

I'd love to but my name isn't Buttman.

7 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

I'd love to but my name isn't Buttman.

If you'd like to request a username change, just let us know.

2 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

If you'd like to request a username change, just let us know.

LOL

NHL.com.  Washington defenseman Michal Kempny has been fined $2419.35 for cross checking Tampa Bay forward Cedric Paquette.  The incident occurred at 6:55 of the third period.  Kempny was assessed a minor penalty.  

NHL.com.  Nashville forward Austin Watson is being investigated after a domestic plea that involved his girlfriend.  The charge can be dismissed if Watson completes the terms of judicial diversion program.  

How many this season?
How many will be overlooked?
How many will be too few?
How many will be too much?
How many against the Habs?

All this & more coming during the new season.

5 hours ago, HabsRuleForever said:

How many this season?
How many will be overlooked?
How many will be too few?
How many will be too much?
How many against the Habs?

All this & more coming during the new season.

Too many.

NHL.com.  Nashville left wing Austin Watson has been suspended 27 games for unacceptable conduct off the ice.  Watson had been involved in a domestic dispute with his girlfriend.  

Domi up and likely not gonna be pretty. 

Can we have Gally back now please?

7 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

We traded scoring for grit.

:4322:

4 hours ago, H_T_L said:

Domi plays for Arizona, why are we worried?

7 minutes ago, HabsRuleForever said:

Domi plays for Arizona, why are we worried?

Wake_Up_meme.jpg

Domi suspended the rest of the preseason.

Not really much of a punishment (its not like he wasnt making the team).    

19 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Yeah... he's going to be on the top line opening night so... not a big punishment. Does he forfeit any salary for the year? Probably not, huh?

22 minutes ago, maas_art said:

It will open up a chance for someone to get a longer look, if they're trying to make the team. 

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

Wake_Up_meme.jpg

36 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Rest of preseason, suspended he is.:4224:

1 hour ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Does he forfeit any salary for the year? Probably not, huh?

Dont think so. I think salary is 82 regular season games only. Pre-season and playoffs are free.