Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HabsRuleForever

Suspensions and Officiating

621 posts in this topic

59 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

It will open up a chance for someone to get a longer look, if they're trying to make the team. 

For sure. It might give us a chance to see Kotkaniemi or Suzuki next to Drouin which would be pretty cool actually. 

What it does is handcuff the team's ability to test where he best fits in the lineup. They'll have to now do that in games that count.

14 hours ago, H_T_L said:

What it does is handcuff the team's ability to test where he best fits in the lineup. They'll have to now do that in games that count.

Maybe Toronto, Pittsburgh, and Los Angeles will take it easy on us? :lol:

Domi's comments:

"It's not the way I wanted to handle that. It's an emotional game. Obviously, I'm an emotional player. But, you know what, I got to suffer the consequences of it. It's unfortunate, but it is what it is and I definitely respect the league's decision.

"I've known Aaron for a long time. Grew up playing against each other. We always play hard, always battle, whether it was in minor hockey, junior, the national level, and now the NHL, too. By no means did I want to hurt him. I feel bad about it and I hope he's OK."

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/leafs-senators-flames-jets-domi-habs-1.4834146

He's an emotional player because he sucker punched an opponent? I think 'stupid' is the proper word.

1 hour ago, habs1952 said:

He's an emotional player because he sucker punched an opponent? I think 'stupid' is the proper word.

Yeah i didnt love Gallagher's comments either:

"He's going to be a big part of our team going forward. He's an emotional player. We need him to play like that. It's not going to change a thing."

I know he (Gallagher) is saying "we need him to play emotionally" but it would have been nice if he could have at least denounced the hit.  Julien said something to the effect of "he made a mistake. We all make mistakes.  It doesnt make him a bad person" which i thought was better than Gallagher's snippet. 

How many people would take Brad Marchand on this team, even after all his antics, I know would.

One single moment of stupidity does not define anyone, get over this punch thing that was not the most disturbing part, it was his energy level,  he was not ready to play. Maybe through the game he even realized that. I am sure he has more to offer then what we have seen. I was and am still all in on the trade we made. I do think he played like crap in his first game as for the non fight sucker punch, shit happens. He has owned up to it. Time to move on.

If his first 5 to 10 games have the same level of energy as the preseason game then I will begin to worry.

NHL.com.  St. Louis defenseman Robert Bortuzzo will have a hearing for elbowing Washington defenseman Michal Kempny at :45 of the third period.  Kempny sustained an upper body injury and did not return to the game.  

Now that I've given myself the one week cool down period from the incident, I'l say that Domi is a five letter word that begins with mo and ends with ron.  Reminds me of this incident.  It's blatantly obvious that he's learnt absolutely nothing three years into the league.

On ‎9‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 11:20 AM, caperns61 said:

How many people would take Brad Marchand on this team, even after all his antics, I know would.

One single moment of stupidity does not define anyone, get over this punch thing that was not the most disturbing part, it was his energy level,  he was not ready to play. Maybe through the game he even realized that. I am sure he has more to offer then what we have seen. I was and am still all in on the trade we made. I do think he played like crap in his first game as for the non fight sucker punch, shit happens. He has owned up to it. Time to move on.

If his first 5 to 10 games have the same level of energy as the preseason game then I will begin to worry.

I agree we have plenty of time to see how this all plays out. That said Marchand has a long history of stupidity and that is where I would have to draw the line. If the HABS got him as a free agent for a dollar a year I'd quit watching this team , I hate that weasel he has no place in the NHL. I would of loved to see him "lick" someone like Robinson from years ago or any other old school player!

On 9/22/2018 at 11:20 AM, caperns61 said:

Except it's not the first incident.  Far from it.  Aside from the Garnet Hathaway incident I posted above there is this little gem involving Ryan Garbutt.  Some would call that a sucker punching history.  Now, no love lost here for either Ekblad or Garbutt, but I do agree with one of the comments on the video, "reminds me of Bertuzzi."  That's exactly what it reminds me of, Bertuzzi, just without the stick.  We give Marchand, Lucic and Chara crap for sucker punching (as we should) so we do we put up with crap here?

Also, I would pretend I wouldn't be tempted in having Marchand on the team, but here's an idea, how about Max Domi come within sniffing distance of first line on team Canada before we see how much of a hypocrite I am hmmm?

18 hours ago, CaptWelly said:

I agree we have plenty of time to see how this all plays out. That said Marchand has a long history of stupidity and that is where I would have to draw the line. If the HABS got him as a free agent for a dollar a year I'd quit watching this team , I hate that weasel he has no place in the NHL. I would of loved to see him "lick" someone like Robinson from years ago or any other old school player!

Most of the tough guys in the NHL today would not have lasted 5-10 seconds with Gordie Howe, Maurice Richard, and Ted Lindsay. I keep telling everybody at Marshall that these guys are the three baddest guys ever to play any sport. That's right, any sport. Try doing that on skates on a sheet of ice. And they did not back down elsewhere, either.

Lets give Julien a little time with Domi before we crucify him.  Yes, he's done some stupid things in the past but Andrew Shaw was an absolute nutcase when we got him (and Therrien seemed to encourage this) but Julien seemed to settle him down to the point where he became a quality forward. The only thing that has hurt him is his injury history. 

35 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Lets give Julien a little time with Domi before we crucify him.  Yes, he's done some stupid things in the past but Andrew Shaw was an absolute nutcase when we got him (and Therrien seemed to encourage this) but Julien seemed to settle him down to the point where he became a quality forward. The only thing that has hurt him is his injury history. 

I'll just make one more post before I stop on this subject (because I know I'm probably starting to get annoying on this).  Why do I consider these incidents especially bad.  In the Hathaway incident, sure I think Hathaway might have thrown an elbow, but then Domi threw a blatant interference hit which puts his team down a man, showing lack of discipline.  Then he goes on and sucker punches a guy who's down on the ice who still had his glove on.

In the case of Garbutt (I never thought I'd defend Garbutt or Ekblad).  But Garbutt threw a clean hit (if late, by a fraction of a second at most) then got assaulted.  He was actually lucky there because he got (as I mentioned) a stick and a crosscheck from Duclair so he knew somebody was coming after him.  When Bertuzzi assault Moore, the latter had little warning that a punch was coming and was knocked out before he even hit his head on the ice where his neck snapped backwards.  Had it not been Duclair's stick, would Garbutt have prepared for the sucker punch?

Lastly, I don't like Ekblad and it might be a bad angle (maybe Ekblad chopped at Domi, I don't know), but it was far from the worst thing he did and was a hockey play.  Then Domi outright sucker punched him.  That's well, Domi on Samuelsson stuff right there.  I guess the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

I consider the Moore and Samuelsson incidents among the most egregious incidents in the modern era.  So when you have a guy who's barely 3 years into the league doing that in the more "disciplined" era, that's straight up thuggish.  Most importantly though, these incidents happened two, three years apart when you're supposed to be older and more mature now.  That's not young and dumb, that's right and wrong difference.  I don't know what Julien can do to fix it.  What Andrew Shaw did is nothing by comparison.

Edited by Disillusioned1

49 minutes ago, Disillusioned1 said:

I'll just make one more post before I stop on this subject (because I know I'm probably starting to get annoying on this).  Why do I consider these incidents especially bad.  In the Hathaway incident, sure I think Hathaway might have thrown an elbow, but then Domi threw a blatant interference hit which puts his team down a man, showing lack of discipline.  Then he goes on and sucker punches a guy who's down on the ice who still had his glove on.

In the case of Garbutt (I never thought I'd defend Garbutt or Ekblad).  But Garbutt threw a clean hit (if late, by a fraction of a second at most) then got assaulted.  He was actually lucky there because he got (as I mentioned) a stick and a crosscheck from Duclair so he knew somebody was coming after him.  When Bertuzzi assault Moore, the latter had little warning that a punch was coming and was knocked out before he even hit his head on the ice where his neck snapped backwards.  Had it not been Duclair's stick, would Garbutt have prepared for the sucker punch?

Lastly, I don't like Ekblad and it might be a bad angle (maybe Ekblad chopped at Domi, I don't know), but it was far from the worst thing he did and was a hockey play.  Then Domi outright sucker punched him.  That's well, Domi on Samuelsson stuff right there.  I guess the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

I consider the Moore and Samuelsson incidents among the most egregious incidents in the modern era.  So when you have a guy who's barely 3 years into the league doing that in the more "disciplined" era, that's straight up thuggish.  Most importantly though, these incidents happened two, three years apart when you're supposed to be older and more mature now.  That's not young and dumb, that's right and wrong difference.  I don't know what Julien can do to fix it.  What Andrew Shaw did is nothing by comparison.

Well, you're more than welcome to vent and discuss- thats why the forum is here - and I dont disagree with anything you're saying.  

My point is simply this: imagine you're Max Domi. You grow up with Tie teaching you about hockey.  You probably have  "Rock'em Sock'em" marathons at Christmas time. There's maybe a Don Cherry poster above the mantle.   This kid has been spoon fed "play rough" since he could skate.  Now, you could very well point out that there's a difference between "rough" and "dirty" but there's a long history of there being a thin line there.  Messier was a "tough" player but threw the dirtiest elbows (when no one was looking) ive ever seen.  Scott Stevens was the prototypical "tough defensman" and he threw a lot of very questionable hits.   Im neither comparing, nor excusing anyone here, just saying, if you've been brought up in that house, it may be a bit confusing about what the 'right thing to do' is.   

I have zero doubt that Max Domi does the things he does because of his love for his team and teammates.  Someone (Julien) needs to explain to him that not only are these things not helping his team, they are not particularly noble or tough.   Like Shaw before him, a lot of the things Domi does - the really bad stuff - you could look at and say "if he'd only stopped an taken a breath for a minute" because most of them are just stupid snap decisions.   Im sure in his head he was throwing that punch and Ekblad was going to throw one back but when you watch it again and again (especially in slow motion) its clear Ekblad never had any intention of engaging. 

I am hopeful it will get sorted out because unlike his father, Max has oodles of talent and need to be able to showcase it. 

Shaw disgusted me in his first game as a Hab and it's taken a long time for that disgust to dissipate from my point of view. Domi's first game is like deja vu to me. I agree that Julien needs to lay down the law and point out that moronic plays like that hurt the team. Whether his message is received remains to be seen. It obviously didn't with guys like Marchant and Lucic  when he coached the Bruins. I'll try to reserve judgement, but so far that's strike one on Domi.

Not trying to justify Domi's actions in any way, shape, or form, but from what I understand Ekblad and Domi have a history going back to their junior days. 

19 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

Not trying to justify Domi's actions in any way, shape, or form, but from what I understand Ekblad and Domi have a history going back to their junior days. 

For sure. I fully agree Domi's play was stupid, reckless and, frankly, gutless - but i dont think it comes from a bad place. I think he is trying to do whatever he can to win. In that case i think he was frustrated with his game and was trying to get the team going & foolishly tried to fight a guy who didnt want to go. 

I dont think Domi is Sean Avery. I think he wants to win & needs guidance on what will and will not hurt his team.  I am prepared to give him some time but like HTL he's already got one strike in my books. 

So Domi vs Hathaway, Hathaway tries to elbow him in the head ...  so Domi takes him on ... good for him

Domi vs Garbut ... Garbut does a garbage hit on Domi's team mate and Domi goes after Garbut ... good for him

Domi vs Ekblad ... Domi gets heated, and pulls the trigger before Ekblad had accepted the invitation to dance ... nothing I saw that Ekblad did warranted the sucker punch so yeah, shame on Domi ... but I don't think that one punch defines him.      

4 hours ago, maas_art said:

For sure. I fully agree Domi's play was stupid, reckless and, frankly, gutless - but i dont think it comes from a bad place. I think he is trying to do whatever he can to win. In that case i think he was frustrated with his game and was trying to get the team going & foolishly tried to fight a guy who didnt want to go. 

I dont think Domi is Sean Avery. I think he wants to win & needs guidance on what will and will not hurt his team.  I am prepared to give him some time but like HTL he's already got one strike in my books. 

No Domi is actually the type of player a lot of fans have wanted for years ... somebody who is fearless to stand up for their team mates.   He is not a weasel like Avery, just hot headed .. hopefully he learns to be more calculated in his aggression from this incident.   The other two videos people posted (Hathaway and Garbut) I have zero problem with Domi's behaviour on those.

6 hours ago, Disillusioned1 said:

you contradict yourself here ... if it was such a clean hit, why was most of Arizona running at him?    Why was Duclair going at him? and why did Garbutt "know somebody was coming after him" ... watch the play again, Garbut's hit was as the announcers said "garbage" and he deserved to get pounded on.

NHL.com.  St. Louis defenseman Robert Bortuzzo has been suspended for the remainder of the preseason and the first regular season game for elbowing Washington defenseman Michal Kempny.  

12 hours ago, Disillusioned1 said:

Except it's not the first incident.  Far from it.  Aside from the Garnet Hathaway incident I posted above there is this little gem involving Ryan Garbutt.  Some would call that a sucker punching history.  Now, no love lost here for either Ekblad or Garbutt, but I do agree with one of the comments on the video, "reminds me of Bertuzzi."  That's exactly what it reminds me of, Bertuzzi, just without the stick.  We give Marchand, Lucic and Chara crap for sucker punching (as we should) so we do we put up with crap here?

Also, I would pretend I wouldn't be tempted in having Marchand on the team, but here's an idea, how about Max Domi come within sniffing distance of first line on team Canada before we see how much of a hypocrite I am hmmm?

So if you make team Canada u can do this... rubbish

Most players in the NHL have given cheap shots at one time or another. 

Look up my favorite player Sidney Crosby. He has given out viscous slashes, Elbows to the head. Blind side hits. The ones you try to pretend are part of the play. But just as bad sometimes worse then facing someone face to face and throwing a punch. I don't condone the play at all but hockey is still a physical game and a lot of players have played against each for a lot of years and tempers sometimes get the best of their common sense. This happened move on. Lots of time to grow up. I am kind of glad we have a player that can defend him self his teamates and can still play the game. Now lets go to sleep for two years wake up and then we should have a pretty good team :)

Edited by caperns61

2 minutes ago, caperns61 said:

So if you make team Canada u can do this... rubbish

Most players in the NHL have given cheap shots at one time or another. 

Look up my favorite player Sidney Crosby. He has given out viscous slashes, Elbows to the head. Blind side hits. The ones you try to pretend are part of the play. But just as bad sometimes worse then facing someone face to face and throwing a punch. I don't condone the play at all but hockey is still a physical game and a lot of players have played against each for a lot of years and tempers sometimes get the best of their common sense. This happened move on. Lots of time to grow up. I am kind of glad we have a player that can defend him self his teamates and can still play the game. Now lets go to sleep for two years wake up and then we should have a pretty good team :)

Agreed.  The other thing is speed.   We can watch and rewatch these plays- often in slow motion & think "oh my god thats terrible" but in the heat of the moment things happen...fast.      

Im not condoning the punch but in real time things probably happened differently than what we see in the slow-mo replay.  I still contend Domi thought he'd throw a punch and Ekblad would punch back. I dont for one minute think he was thinking "ok, i'll throw a punch he doesnt see & i'll drop him" - but thats what happened.

Mistakes happen & im sure the coaches have talked to him lots since. Richardson was a tough (and sometimes dirty) player so im sure he has some words of wisdom.

oh - and i think you dont need to sleep 2years - i think this squad is going to be better than you think as soon as this year even.