Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HabsRuleForever

Suspensions and Officiating

621 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, HabsAlways said:

So Domi vs Hathaway, Hathaway tries to elbow him in the head ...  so Domi takes him on ... good for him

Domi vs Garbut ... Garbut does a garbage hit on Domi's team mate and Domi goes after Garbut ... good for him

Domi vs Ekblad ... Domi gets heated, and pulls the trigger before Ekblad had accepted the invitation to dance ... nothing I saw that Ekblad did warranted the sucker punch so yeah, shame on Domi ... but I don't think that one punch defines him.      

In the Hathaway hit, Hathaway threw an elbow, which missed.  Then Domi leveled him which as I said, also got Arizona down a man.  The revenge happened.  At worst that should have been it.  You got your pound of flesh.  Then while Hathaway is down and with his gloves on, Domi started throwing punches.  Didn't even properly challenge the guy.  So good on him for being a goon?

The Garbutt hit is garbage how?  Elbows in, shoulder to chest, not late, player was playing the puck.  How's it a garbage hit?  Because it was on OEL?  Oh and once again, Domi didn't even challenge the guy, just started throwing sucker punches.  Real good of him there.  I'm guessing you'd defend Bertuzzi here too.

For Ekblad, at least you admit he did nothing to deserve the punch.  But as I've said, it's not one punch.  Domi sucker punched at last 3 different guys in 3 different seasons.  Sure it's one punch if we just ignore the others.

12 hours ago, caperns61 said:

So if you make team Canada u can do this... rubbish

Most players in the NHL have given cheap shots at one time or another. 

Look up my favorite player Sidney Crosby. He has given out viscous slashes, Elbows to the head. Blind side hits. The ones you try to pretend are part of the play. But just as bad sometimes worse then facing someone face to face and throwing a punch. I don't condone the play at all but hockey is still a physical game and a lot of players have played against each for a lot of years and tempers sometimes get the best of their common sense. This happened move on. Lots of time to grow up. I am kind of glad we have a player that can defend him self his teamates and can still play the game. Now lets go to sleep for two years wake up and then we should have a pretty good team :)

Where did I said just because you're team Canada you can do this.  No, if he's on team Canada it's still not acceptable.  The real difference is whether we keep/trade for a player who has such issues.  With a guy like Marchand we say he don't condone what he does but he can actually play hockey.  We'll try to get him to play hockey instead of act like a goon.  We spend more effort changing his behaviour.  With somebody who doesn't have such talent, you still try, but at some time you cut your losses, especially since you got rid of multiple players because of alleged CHARACTER ISSUES.

Also, like I said, Domi committed what I consider comparable to two of the post egregious offenses in the modern era so let's not pretend it's not worse than slashes and elbows.  Also, in those 3 instances I mentioned, only 1 was Domi actually "defending" a teammate.  And that was on a clean hit.  He did them for HIM, not his team.  That Ekblad punch end up costing us a goal.  We're glad it occurred in the preseason

I'll also say this about the Hathaway hit.  When Domi retaliated, he also threw an elbow.  Not only that, if you take a close look at it, it was an elbow, a blindside hit and most importantly, the primary point of contact was Hathaway's HEAD.  So since we're apparently keeping scores here that's at least 6 offenses: retaliation, interference, elbow, blindside hit, targeting the head and sucker punch.

Edited by Disillusioned1

12 minutes ago, Disillusioned1 said:

I'll also say this about the Hathaway hit.  When Domi retaliated, he also threw an elbow.  Not only that, if you take a close look at it, it was an elbow, a blindside hit and most importantly, the primary point of contact was Hathaway's HEAD.  So since we're apparently keeping scores here that's at least 6 offenses: retaliation, interference, elbow, blindside hit, targeting the head and sucker punch.

I still believe the Galchenyuk-Domi trade will prove to be a mistake. And, one that should be corrected ASAP. As it stands IMO, there are already more than enough players who could make not keeping Domi  a positive for the team.

1 hour ago, Habs_Hockey_Nutz said:

I still believe the Galchenyuk-Domi trade will prove to be a mistake. And, one that should be corrected ASAP. As it stands IMO, there are already more than enough players who could make not keeping Domi  a positive for the team.

What's done's done.  Like maas_art said, I'm just hoping Julien get make him realize (aside from cleaning up the antics) that if he is one of our top 6 forwards, we don't need our top 6 forwards and first rounders fighting.  We need him scoring goals, setting up plays and generally playing hockey.

13 minutes ago, Disillusioned1 said:

What's done's done.  Like maas_art said, I'm just hoping Julien get make him realize (aside from cleaning up the antics) that if he is one of our top 6 forwards, we don't need our top 6 forwards and first rounders fighting.  We need him scoring goals, setting up plays and generally playing hockey.

He should not be gifted anything IMHO and has yet to prove he is one of the Habs top-six. What's done can be undone if he is traded.

4 hours ago, Disillusioned1 said:

In the Hathaway hit, Hathaway threw an elbow, which missed.  Then Domi leveled him which as I said, also got Arizona down a man.  The revenge happened.  At worst that should have been it.  You got your pound of flesh.  Then while Hathaway is down and with his gloves on, Domi started throwing punches.  Didn't even properly challenge the guy.  So good on him for being a goon?

The Garbutt hit is garbage how?  Elbows in, shoulder to chest, not late, player was playing the puck.  How's it a garbage hit?  Because it was on OEL?  Oh and once again, Domi didn't even challenge the guy, just started throwing sucker punches.  Real good of him there.  I'm guessing you'd defend Bertuzzi here too.

Hathaway, if you're going to use a video to back up your point of view you can at least portray it accurately.    On Hathaway affter Domi throws the hit both he and Hathaway get tangled up and fall and they BOTH fling their gloves off at the same time.

For Garbut he hit the guy blind side ... and while it was a clean hit, it's also the kind of hit I'd like to see our team respond to in the way Domi did ... you don't let the other team just man handle you.   You even pointed out how Garbut "knew" people were coming for him ... so even HE knew his hit was garbage.

5 hours ago, Disillusioned1 said:

Also, like I said, Domi committed what I consider comparable to two of the post egregious offenses in the modern era so let's not pretend it's not worse than slashes and elbows.  Also, in those 3 instances I mentioned, only 1 was Domi actually "defending" a teammate.  And that was on a clean hit.  He did them for HIM, not his team.  That Ekblad punch end up costing us a goal.  We're glad it occurred in the preseason

You're equating that sucker punch with what Bertuzzi did?   Really?    I'm sure you're a proponent of no-touch hockey then too ... while what Domi did was stupid, it was nowhere comparable to what Bertuzzi did ... or how about this list :

Bertuzzi attacks Moore from behind as Moore is skating away (Ekblad was still pushing and shoving with Domi)

McSorley on Brashear ... as Brashear skates by, McSorley literally axe chops him in the head.

Matt Cookes blind side of Marc Savard

These are just 3 examples of 100% intentional attempts to injure ... blowing up Domi's sucker punch on Ekblad to be among these is just hyperbole and drama mongering.    There is zero evidence Domi had any intention other than having a fight with Ekblad and during the heat of the moment was stupid and took the first punch when Ekblad had no intention of dropping the gloves.  

Stupid? yes

Malicious? No

And of the 3 incidents ... 2 of them he was defending his team mate and retaliating against an attempt at an elbow (again, defending a team mate per se).         And that hit ... that was on OEL ... the Yotes star player, somewhat blind side, in a game where Garbut was taking runs at OEL all night long ... lets not forget Garbut is no angel.

Edited by HabsAlways

1 hour ago, HabsAlways said:

You're equating that sucker punch with what Bertuzzi did?   Really?    I'm sure you're a proponent of no-touch hockey then too ... while what Domi did was stupid, it was nowhere comparable to what Bertuzzi did ... or how about this list :

Bertuzzi attacks Moore from behind as Moore is skating away (Ekblad was still pushing and shoving with Domi)

McSorley on Brashear ... as Brashear skates by, McSorley literally axe chops him in the head.

Matt Cookes blind side of Marc Savard

These are just 3 examples of 100% intentional attempts to injure ... blowing up Domi's sucker punch on Ekblad to be among these is just hyperbole and drama mongering.    There is zero evidence Domi had any intention other than having a fight with Ekblad and during the heat of the moment was stupid and took the first punch when Ekblad had no intention of dropping the gloves.  

Stupid? yes

Malicious? No

And of the 3 incidents ... 2 of them he was defending his team mate and retaliating against an attempt at an elbow (again, defending a team mate per se).         And that hit ... that was on OEL ... the Yotes star player, somewhat blind side, in a game where Garbut was taking runs at OEL all night long ... lets not forget Garbut is no angel.

Agreed that the Domi punch wasn't as malicious as the McSorley or Bertuzzi attacks. As you said, it was mainly just a dumb decision. But it goes to show you what certain players believe to be acceptable in hockey culture. If you look at equally aggressive sports like football or rugby or so on, you rarely see full-fledged fights and punches to the face and so on. You get hits as part of the game, but there's no gesturing to try and prove who's the bigger or tougher guy outside of routine play. The whole idea that you should drop the gloves and fight or punch someone to fire up your team is antiquated and doesn't belong in today's NHL, and IMO, Domi's punch on Ekblad is just a sign of a player who was brought up on the wrong ideals and who made a stupid and selfish decision in the name of "grit" and "toughness" and "just playing good old Canadian hockey."

22 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Agreed that the Domi punch wasn't as malicious as the McSorley or Bertuzzi attacks. As you said, it was mainly just a dumb decision. But it goes to show you what certain players believe to be acceptable in hockey culture. If you look at equally aggressive sports like football or rugby or so on, you rarely see full-fledged fights and punches to the face and so on. You get hits as part of the game, but there's no gesturing to try and prove who's the bigger or tougher guy outside of routine play. The whole idea that you should drop the gloves and fight or punch someone to fire up your team is antiquated and doesn't belong in today's NHL, and IMO, Domi's punch on Ekblad is just a sign of a player who was brought up on the wrong ideals and who made a stupid and selfish decision in the name of "grit" and "toughness" and "just playing good old Canadian hockey."

That's a fair point.    But I do take objection to people assigning motives and intentions that are clearly not there.

25 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

We can`t say for sure what Domi was thinking at the time when he threw that punch. Only Domi knows for sure.

2 hours ago, HabsAlways said:

Hathaway, if you're going to use a video to back up your point of view you can at least portray it accurately.    On Hathaway affter Domi throws the hit both he and Hathaway get tangled up and fall and they BOTH fling their gloves off at the same time.

For Garbut he hit the guy blind side ... and while it was a clean hit, it's also the kind of hit I'd like to see our team respond to in the way Domi did ... you don't let the other team just man handle you.   You even pointed out how Garbut "knew" people were coming for him ... so even HE knew his hit was garbage.

What the hell are you talking about?  Let's do a full PBP of the play then.

Admittedly I'm no familiar with Hathaway but I have him ZERO benefit of the doubt.  When I first saw the play I saw Hathaway trying to hit Domi, who stepped out of the way.  Then Hathaway's arms came up.  At that point I thought it was a reflex.  But as I've said, I gave didn't give him any benefit of the doubt.  I said he "maybe threw an elbow."

On the other hand, I said Domi had an interference hit and a sucker punch.  I've made no mention of the fact even that he blind sided somebody, he elbowed somebody, he targeted somebody's head.  So I'm wondering how on earth you're keeping a straight face while pretending poor Domi somehow was the victim here.

Also, the glove DIDN'T come off at the same time.  Domi leveled Hathaway who pushed Domi's knee as reaction.  That's when Domi's gloves came off.  To say Domi somehow didn't throw the first punch, you're outright lying.  Hathaway's gloves came off at 1:14 in the video AFTER Domi grabbed him by the face and started throwing punches at 1:13.  Domi got two shots in before Hathaway was even on his feet.

And Garbutt's hit being blindside?  Are you even serious?  So every hit when somebody's back was to the boards is a blindside?  It was a clean hit.  Nobody should be expected to answer the bell on a clean hit.  Garbutt saw it coming because Duclair cross-checked him.  Otherwise Domi might have caught him with a sucker punch just like Bertuzzi did to Moore.  The consequences wasn't as severe fortunately, but let's not pretend it wasn't a goon move.

Let's keep things civil, otherwise more posts will be deleted and warnings will be handed out. Thanks.

Tom Wilson's hit on Sundqvist:

^^^ pretty ugly hit.   

Its tough for me to see from any angle so far if Wilson had a chance to change his direction.   Clearly Sundqvist was  not playing with his head up and WIlson already had him lined up but its tough to say if he was intentionally head-hunting.  A history of bad hits doesnt help WIlson.  

Its an in-person hearing so most likely 5+ games. 

1 hour ago, kinot-2 said:

Tom Wilson's hit on Sundqvist:

5:22 of the second period and Wilson was assessed a match penalty.  

3 hours ago, HabsRuleForever said:

20 games.

Good but not good enough.

Wow. thats a big one. 

5 hours ago, HabsRuleForever said:

20 games.

Good but not good enough.

And he needs to write a cheque for 1.2 million! LOL....looks good on him.

So Brad Marchand jumps Lars Eller in a game when Bos is losing 7-0 because he didn't like Eller taking a slapshot... Marchand punches Eller a few times before Eller starts defending himself, then Marchand bloodies Eller by punching him when he's lying on the ice.

If Domi got 5 games (albeit pre-season) and Marchand threw many more punches than Domi and Marchand has an even worse suspension history than Tom Wilson, then you could easily argue that Marchand should also get 20 games. I guess now we'll see whether the DOPS gave Wilson 20 to make an example of him like Raffi Torres or if they're actually serious in cracking down on repeat offenders even if they're guys who are key members of their teams.

3 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

So Brad Marchand jumps Lars Eller in a game when Bos is losing 7-0 because he didn't like Eller taking a slapshot... Marchand punches Eller a few times before Eller starts defending himself, then Marchand bloodies Eller by punching him when he's lying on the ice.

If Domi got 5 games (albeit pre-season) and Marchand threw many more punches than Domi and Marchand has an even worse suspension history than Tom Wilson, then you could easily argue that Marchand should also get 20 games. I guess now we'll see whether the DOPS gave Wilson 20 to make an example of him like Raffi Torres or if they're actually serious in cracking down on repeat offenders even if they're guys who are key members of their teams.

The rat got 19 PIMs. for the whole game

It always seems to be the same goons.

17 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

It always seems to be the same goons.

It doesn't look like the NHL is going to do anything about marchand, so, in that case, I hope Tom Wilson will remember what the rat did to Eller.

Edited by kinot-2

5 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

It doesn't look like the NHL is going to do anything about marchand, so, in that case, I hope Tom Wilson will remember what the rat did to Eller.

That's nuts.  

I think it hurt their case that Eller finally dropped the gloves but Marchard threw several punches at a non-willing combatant.   It should be at least a couple of games for any player (Domi got 5 pre-season for 1 punch and he has a limited history of reprimands) and with Marchands historty it should have been multiple games.   

Not surprised but its ridiculous. 

15 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

8 minutes ago, maas_art said:

That's nuts.  

I think it hurt their case that Eller finally dropped the gloves but Marchard threw several punches at a non-willing combatant.   It should be at least a couple of games for any player (Domi got 5 pre-season for 1 punch and he has a limited history of reprimands) and with Marchands historty it should have been multiple games.   

Not surprised but its ridiculous. 

Yup...

1. Marchand throws a bunch of punches before Eller drops the gloves, and if you're Eller, at some point you can't just let yourself be a punching bag. The officials blew it and didn't jump in to protect the player. Surprise surprise.

2. Marchand continues to hit Eller even after he's down. Dirty as hell, and like the earlier punches, easily an attempt to injure a defenseless opponent.

3. Marchand has one of the lengthiest suspension records in the NHL.

4. Marchand admitted after the game that he did it on purpose because he didn't like Eller celebrating his goal a couple of minutes before.

Marchand is without a doubt the dirtiest and most despicable player in the league, and he doesn't care that people think that. It's embarrassing how many times the NHL has let him off easy and let the Bruins off easy (Chara and Lucic and Shawn Thornton and Ference and more have all gotten away with stuff other players would have been suspended for). Jacobs and Bettman remain good friends, and the optics here are that the NHL simply allows Marchand to get away with more because they want to keep a top player on the ice and keep fans coming to fill up Jacobs' and the league's pockets.

So agreed, if the league isn't going to take care of it, here's hoping Tom WIlson or someone else lays out Marchand and puts him out for the 20 games he deserves to be out.