The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Suspensions and Officiating

HabsRuleForever

1 hour ago, CANADIENS27 said:

NHL.com.  Vancouver forward Antoine Russell has been fined $5000 for biting San Jose defenseman Michael Edouard-Vlasic.  

I agree with the fine and all but at the same time what was Russell supposed to do there the refs had his arms pinned and Vlasic was driving his fist into his temple it kind is serves Vlasic right for being that dirty. That being said Russell should have waited until the next shift and just pounded Vlasic for it.

16 hours ago, campabee82 said:

I agree with the fine and all but at the same time what was Russell supposed to do there the refs had his arms pinned and Vlasic was driving his fist into his temple it kind is serves Vlasic right for being that dirty. That being said Russell should have waited until the next shift and just pounded Vlasic for it.

In a way I agree... however, I never get how unsportsmanlike conduct can be so selective when it comes to the NHL and is allowed with so much regularity.

3 hours ago, Habs_Hockey_Nutz said:

In a way I agree... however, I never get how unsportsmanlike conduct can be so selective when it comes to the NHL and is allowed with so much regularity.

Because publicly they boast how fighting is way down but privately they want animosity between teams so fighting doesn't go away. Afterall, if the league doesn't call a penalty it's left up to the players to exact revenge and there is really only two ways to do it. Use the stick or use the fists.

2 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Tom Wilson ejected again today after another late hit to the back of the head... if he got 14 games last time, this one has to be 40. I just don't see how you can take the NHL seriously if they don't throw this guy out for at least half a year.

14 hours ago, CaptWelly said:

Not a Fan of Wilson , but he barely clipped him even looked like he turned trying to limit contact. If any other player especially a "star" player had done that I'm not sure there may have been a call.

No call from the league.

15 hours ago, CaptWelly said:

Not a Fan of Wilson , but he barely clipped him even looked like he turned trying to limit contact. If any other player especially a "star" player had done that I'm not sure there may have been a call.

Agree although I will say Wilson did have ample opportunity to avoid the hit altogether. Just classs this as a cheap shot.

5 hours ago, CANADIENS27 said:

NHL.com.  Detroit forward Tyler Bertuzzi will have a hearing for roughing/unsportsmanlike conduct against Colorado forward Matt Calvert.  The incident occurred at 12:49 of the third period.  No penalty was assessed.  

He got 2 games.

Still waiting on the Kunitz suspension.

NHL.com.  Calgary forward Ryan Lomberg will have a hearing for being an instigator for starting a fight with Minnesota defenseman Matt Dumba at 19:17 of the third period.  Lomberg has already gotten an automatic one game suspension as an instigator.  Lomberg was given a minor for instigating, a five minute major, and a game misconduct.  Coach Bill Peters was fined $10,000.  

4 hours ago, CANADIENS27 said:

NHL.com.  Calgary defenseman Mark Giordano will have a hearing for kneeing Minnesota center Mikko Koivu.  The incident occurred at 6:17 of the third period.  Giordano was given a two minute minor for tripping.  

4 hours ago, CANADIENS27 said:

NHL.com.  Calgary forward Ryan Lomberg will have a hearing for being an instigator for starting a fight with Minnesota defenseman Matt Dumba at 19:17 of the third period.  Lomberg has already gotten an automatic one game suspension as an instigator.  Lomberg was given a minor for instigating, a five minute major, and a game misconduct.  Coach Bill Peters was fined $10,000.  

I believe they both got 2 games.

I guess they rescinded Lehkonen's embellishment penalty. It doesn't do much as to the outcome of the immediately play but it does protect him from being tagged as a "repeat" offender which carries supplementary penalties, I guess.

This is the right call to make but it shouldn't have taken all weekend. Any "supervisor" could've looked at the replay and corrected the error in no longer than a tv timeout. Imagine if we lost by a goal. They probably wouldn't have backpedaled, though, and avoided the controversy.

This just raises an issue: if the League can overturn penalties, why can't they do the reverse and call penalties that get missed? With immediate access to every possible angle, there's no reason missed calls couldn't get penalized shortly after the fact. You could even go so far as to take a ref off the ice and make more space.

Whatever. The League has no desire to get the calls correct. Just thought I'd mention the Lehkonen thing.

3 hours ago, Flying_Lion said:

I guess they rescinded Lehkonen's embellishment penalty. It doesn't do much as to the outcome of the immediately play but it does protect him from being tagged as a "repeat" offender which carries supplementary penalties, I guess.

This is the right call to make but it shouldn't have taken all weekend. Any "supervisor" could've looked at the replay and corrected the error in no longer than a tv timeout. Imagine if we lost by a goal. They probably wouldn't have backpedaled, though, and avoided the controversy.

This just raises an issue: if the League can overturn penalties, why can't they do the reverse and call penalties that get missed? With immediate access to every possible angle, there's no reason missed calls couldn't get penalized shortly after the fact. You could even go so far as to take a ref off the ice and make more space.

Whatever. The League has no desire to get the calls correct. Just thought I'd mention the Lehkonen thing.

If I could address a couple of your points:

1. Don't think it's feasible to have the league reviewing penalties and missed calls. Imagine how much time would be spent with the head office calling down to the ice to say, you missed something, go back and give player X a penalty and put 87 seconds back on the clock. At some point, you need to get on with the game. You just need refs who show better judgment and more consistency. Often times, the ref is looking right at an infraction but doesn't call it because he thinks he's already called too many on one team or because it's the 3rd period or because he just doesn't like the player who got hit that much (and yes former refs have admitted this is true). So to me, the onus is just on the refs being better not because they're not seeing things. Even look at last game against Ottawa when Price's leg gets whacked out from underneath him by Tkachuk... league reviews it and still calls it a goal. They had all the angles and time to review it and they still got it wrong.

2. The league admitting it was a mistake now is fine. It doesn't change the fact they screwed up a monumental call in a tight game. We easily could have lost that game by a goal, and there's no excuse for the ref making that absurd a call. What's worse is that this happens regularly, it's just rare it's a clear impact on a goal like that. The real move that needed to be made by the league is what the NFL has taken to doing: fining or firing an official who makes that egregious a call. Maybe they do reprimand behind closed doors, but it's just not enough. You want fans to feel like they're being listened to and you want the league to show transparency? Luxmore should have at the very least been publicly fined and even more reasonable would have been to see him suspended without pay for two weeks.

5 hours ago, CANADIENS27 said:

NHL.com.  Edmonton forward Jujhar Khaira will have a hearing for a cross check against St. Louis defenseman Vince that occurred at 9:03 of the third period.  Khaira was assessed a five minute major and a game misconduct.  

Khaira got 2 games.

• H_T_L locked this topic