The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Suspensions and Officiating

14 hours ago, CANADIENS27 said:

NHL.com.  San Jose defenseman Erik Karlsson will have a phone hearing for an illegal check to the head of Los Angeles forward Austin Wagner.  The incident occurred at 3:25 of the second period and no penalty was assessed.  Wagner sustained an upper body injury.  

Karlsson gets 2 games.

NHL.com.  Boston forward David Backes will have a hearing for an illegal check to the head of New Jersey center Blake Coleman.  The incident occurred at 18:00 of the third period.  Backes was assessed a minor for illegal check to the head.  

4 hours ago, CANADIENS27 said:

NHL.com.  Boston forward David Backes will have a hearing for an illegal check to the head of New Jersey center Blake Coleman.  The incident occurred at 18:00 of the third period.  Backes was assessed a minor for illegal check to the head.  

The repeat offender was suspended 3 games.

21 hours ago, habs1952 said:

The repeat offender was suspended 3 games.

Punished for illegal check to head of Coleman, will miss Winter Classic

2 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

Punished for illegal check to head of Coleman, will miss Winter Classic

The Classic must be deemed an important game by the league similar to the value of a playoff game when a player gets suspended. 

• 2 weeks later...

I found this in the Calgary Hearald. Well worth the read about NHL officiating and in particular a non-call on McDavid. Video as well. 

Lots of comments from hockey pundits.

https://calgaryherald.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey/nhl-with-public-relations-fiasco-over-non-call-on-latest-ambush-of-connor-mcdavid/wcm/69b3d563-21a6-406e-bed9-ad3624e697a7

Edited by kinot-2
12 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

I found this in the Calgary Hearald. Well worth the read about NHL officiating and in particular a non-call on McDavid. Video as well. 

https://calgaryherald.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey/nhl-with-public-relations-fiasco-over-non-call-on-latest-ambush-of-connor-mcdavid/wcm/69b3d563-21a6-406e-bed9-ad3624e697a7

Two things: If anyone is expecting better of the NHL they're in for a long wait. Also, how was Lindholm allowed to end that game with all his teeth?

1 hour ago, habs1952 said:

Two things: If anyone is expecting better of the NHL they're in for a long wait. Also, how was Lindholm allowed to end that game with all his teeth?

I guess Lucic has turned the other cheek. 

10 hours ago, H_T_L said:

Another brilliant zebra performance. Be proud NHL. The only professional league using incompetents and doing zip to address it.

I know being a Habs fan would indicate a bias to some, however... I feel the Habs get the short end the stick more often than not and that if there is a bias, it is the refs against the Habs.

20 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

Yeah, I don't quite get how a penalty wasn't called on that play. It's clearly boarding/cross-checking.

22 minutes ago, CaptWelly said:

Does this actually show the play? I see the two guys talking about it the whole time.

Just click on the link. 

28 minutes ago, CaptWelly said:

I did click on the link the only one I could open was the one with the two guys discussing their team.

No video? I just clicked on it (Calgary Hearald ), and the story came up with the vid in it, and the comments were below it. 

Edited by kinot-2

Montreal Canadiens forward Paul Byron will have a hearing Wednesday with the league's Department of Player Safety for his hit Tuesday night on Florida Panthers defenceman Mackenzie Weegar.

Byron picked up a two-minute minor penalty for charging in the second period of Tuesday's 5-1 win over the Panthers after hitting Weegar into the boards behind the Panthers' net. Byron appeared to make contact with the head of Weegar on the hit and also appeared to leave his feet ahead of the hit.

7 hours ago, H_T_L said:

Montreal Canadiens forward Paul Byron will have a hearing Wednesday with the league's Department of Player Safety for his hit Tuesday night on Florida Panthers defenceman Mackenzie Weegar.

Byron picked up a two-minute minor penalty for charging in the second period of Tuesday's 5-1 win over the Panthers after hitting Weegar into the boards behind the Panthers' net. Byron appeared to make contact with the head of Weegar on the hit and also appeared to leave his feet ahead of the hit.

Three games, what a joke. That means he won't play till February unless they appeal.

It is a joke when you consider the hit on Mete in the Boston game that could have easily cased a serious injury. Not even a penalty on that play.  I guess the message is that anything goes unless the guy gets hurt.

So this is insane! noted goon Byron out for three games when you can all but kill a Habs player without even a penalty! we have seen some really awful calls on the ice this year but this is over the top! if you want to send a message give him a game but three? this guy could be a lady bing candidate!

35 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

It is a joke when you consider the hit on Mete in the Boston game that could have easily cased a serious injury. Not even a penalty on that play.  I guess the message is that anything goes unless the guy gets hurt.

Maybe MB should send in the clip of Mete' being boarded, and ask if that's OK. 

1 hour ago, HabsRuleForever said:

Three games, what a joke. That means he won't play till February unless they appeal.

55 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

22 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

So this is insane! noted goon Byron out for three games when you can all but kill a Habs player without even a penalty! we have seen some really awful calls on the ice this year but this is over the top! if you want to send a message give him a game but three? this guy could be a lady bing candidate!

3 games is insane. It's utter BS. I reviewed int he GDT why he shouldn't have even had a penalty, never mind a suspension. I haven't gone to look, but I easily recall several videos or statements released by the DOPS explaining that they were NOT suspending a player because the leaving of the feet occurred after contact. This clearly happens in this case. So for Parros to give Byron 3 games is ridiculous. And further, Renaud Lavoie reporting that it was two games for charging (which it isn't when he doesn't leave his feet before contact) AND one game because Weegar is hurt. The league has always stated they don't judge suspensions based on whether someone is hurt. They made that a huge point when Chara broke Pacioretty's neck and nearly killed him and said that Pacman's injury wasn't a factor in the ruling. Byron and the Habs get screwed over once again by a corrupt NHL.

• H_T_L locked this topic