The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Suspensions and Officiating

HabsRuleForever

1 hour ago, HabsRuleForever said:

Three games, what a joke. That means he won't play till February unless they appeal.

The bright side is that there's been speculation Byron has been playing hurt (minor lower body injury) so this will give him some time to rest up a bit.

Further to my point, here are three similar incidents in which NO suspension was handed out:

This is Tom Wilson getting hit from behind by Anton Stralman in the playoffs last year. Stralman runs his head into the boards. He also clearly leaves his feet before contact. This hit is by NHL rules WORSE than what Byron did, yet there was no suspension.

The second example here is Brayden Schenn leveling David Krejci. Like with Byron, this hit is not late nor is it from behind. Schenn also leaves his feet and like Byron, this happens only after the contact is made. Unlike Byron, who hits Weegar on the body as well, Schenn's hit is pretty much squarely to the head alone. Yet no suspension. This hit was also worse than Byron's in terms of breaking rules.

And some of you might remember this incident where Marchand saw Duclair coming at the last moment and jumped up, leaving his feet to clothesline Duclair, causing him to have a significant knee injury. Once again, the hitting player left his feet. Once again this resulted in injury. Once again there was contact up high. All similar to the Byron play. And in this case, Marchand also hits a guy late when he is not playing the puck. This is likewise more flagrantly against the rulebook than the Byron hit.

So you have three separate incidents, all meeting very similar criteria to what the NHL claims to have suspended Byron for and all even more flagrant in terms of rules that they broke (leaving feet before contact; head being primary point of contact; hit on a player without the puck). Byron broke none of those rules and yet ends up with 3 games. George Parros can get stuffed. Maybe he holds some type of grudge against the Habs because he blew goats while he played here, but the ruling is inexplicably inconsistent with other non-suspensions under Parros' tenure.

3 hours ago, Habs_Hockey_Nutz said:

... and selective depending on the team being affected IMHO.

...and probably selective based on the type of player (i.e. superstar vs. role player). I just really, really don't get three games for Byron. I thought the hit deserved a penalty and a one game suspension would have been sensible, IMO. Three games doesn't make sense. 

Three games is totally out of whack with what we've seen with other 1st time offenders. I expected a game, but this was excessive. As i pointed out,,, it seems that the NHL reacts on the results of an infraction rather then the event itself,,, even though they deny it. How else do you explain the hit on Mete in the Bruin game not being reviewed and punished? He wasn't injured, so no call on the ice and no review.

9 minutes ago, HabsRuleForever said:

So the whole fam damily too?

Haven't heard that one for a very long time, but, neither of my parents swore, not even that because it was too close to swearing. And no, we weren't religious. :P

8 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Can anyone point to any other cases this season or last season where a first-time offender received 3+ games for a suspension?

So far this season only 3 players have been suspended so far this season, Byron, Borowiecki and Backes but both Backes and Borowieki were checks to the head and Byrons is listed as Charging (probably because that was the original penalty) it is Backes second suspension of his career the first was a 3 game suspension in March of 2018, Borowieki is a repeat offender as his 3 game suspension came the game after serving a 1 game suspension for elbowing Cody Eakin in the head. All other head shots this year have resulted in a 2 game suspension they include a number of first time offenders in Brandon Lemieux, Josh Archibald and Eric Karlsson. Lemieux was a blatant head shot, Archibald was pretty much identical to Byrons as they both almost missed the other player and were against the boards. Karlsson's was more of a blind side open ice hit not targeting the head but was again the first point of contact. So to be consistent the Byron hit should have been 2 games not 3 but I think 2 things came into effect on this suspension.

1. the speed and distance traveled before the hit .

2. the resulting injury

6 hours ago, campabee82 said:

So far this season only 3 players have been suspended so far this season, Byron, Borowiecki and Backes b

Uh, Wilson, Karlsson, Khaira, Hyman, Lomberg, Giordano, Bertuzzi, Archibald, Lemieux, Backes, Borowecki (x2) and Matheson have all been suspended this season (plus 3 or 4 guys in the preseason I believe)

EDIT - im wondering if you meant to say only those players had been suspended more than 2 games so far this season - which i think, aside from the preseason - is true. 

2 hours ago, maas_art said:

Uh, Wilson, Karlsson, Khaira, Hyman, Lomberg, Giordano, Bertuzzi, Archibald, Lemieux, Backes, Borowecki (x2) and Matheson have all been suspended this season (plus 3 or 4 guys in the preseason I believe)

EDIT - im wondering if you meant to say only those players had been suspended more than 2 games so far this season - which i think, aside from the preseason - is true. 

Yes sorry what I meant was the first 3 were 3 game suspensions and the rest were 2 games

1 hour ago, H_T_L said:

Take note NHL,,,, here's a pro league that admits and tries to fix their mistakes

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/nfl-will-publicly-admit-error-on-key-non-call-in-rams-saints/ar-BBSwdKz?ocid=spartandhp,

Just seen that on TV, Pathetic, when the Saints should have been going to the SB.

• H_T_L locked this topic