Jump to content
The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Nicolas Deslauriers


HabsRuleForever
 Share

Recommended Posts

29 minutes ago, HabsRuleForever said:

Sorry, I meant that. Carey should have won more given the amount of games he played in December. What a terrible defense we have. SIGH

The funny thing is, we're making it way worse than it has to be.   I mean:

_____ - Weber
Mete - Petry
Schlemko/JJ - Benn 

is actually pretty decent if you could fill that hole with a top pairing guy.  But we keep dressing Alzner and Morrow who are easily our 2 worst dmen, we've give Mete to the Juniors, we traded away Sergachev and didnt resign Markov. 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, maas_art said:

Its not chosen though, its based on the most 3 star selections.  

Yeah, and even though Galchenyuk, Carr, Price, Petry, and Gallagher all outplayed Deslauriers, the media (which picks the stars) tends to over-vote for Francophone players when they perform well. Deslauriers played decent hockey, but he wasn't the best player this past month.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

Yeah, and even though Galchenyuk, Carr, Price, Petry, and Gallagher all outplayed Deslauriers, the media (which picks the stars) tends to over-vote for Francophone players when they perform well. Deslauriers played decent hockey, but he wasn't the best player this past month.

Wow! you seem to have a bone to pick with this guy! look no one thinks he is going to save the team or anything but he had a great month and showed up to play hard! if all the guys you just listed other than Carr did the same they would be getting this silly cup rather than him. english french it does not matter to me as long as the guys play up to whatever potential they have.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

Wow! you seem to have a bone to pick with this guy! look no one thinks he is going to save the team or anything but he had a great month and showed up to play hard! if all the guys you just listed other than Carr did the same they would be getting this silly cup rather than him. english french it does not matter to me as long as the guys play up to whatever potential they have.

It's not personal, but Deslauriers is drastically overrated. Just because you play hard and hit people, doesn't mean you're playing well. There's a difference. I like that Deslauriers played hard and he clearly puts in a lot of effort. That's great. But Galchenyuk had just as many points and was just as good, if not better. Why didn't he get the same votes for stars? Because a lot of people in the media like to flog him as being lazy and inconsistent. If he's lazy and still leading the team in points for December, then what does that say about everyone else and what does that say about Galchenyuk's talent?

It's great that Deslauriers had success, but the team was still outplayed when he was on the ice. Daniel Carr had just as good a month, with just as much offensive production and being just as hard-working on the ice. Why didn't he get as many star votes? Goalies tend to get star votes more easily and I also believe Francophone players tend to get lauded more easily when they do well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

Wow! you seem to have a bone to pick with this guy! look no one thinks he is going to save the team or anything but he had a great month and showed up to play hard! if all the guys you just listed other than Carr did the same they would be getting this silly cup rather than him. english french it does not matter to me as long as the guys play up to whatever potential they have.

:6280:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/2/2018 at 6:53 PM, BigTed3 said:

It's not personal, but Deslauriers is drastically overrated. Just because you play hard and hit people, doesn't mean you're playing well. There's a difference. I like that Deslauriers played hard and he clearly puts in a lot of effort. That's great. But Galchenyuk had just as many points and was just as good, if not better. Why didn't he get the same votes for stars? Because a lot of people in the media like to flog him as being lazy and inconsistent. If he's lazy and still leading the team in points for December, then what does that say about everyone else and what does that say about Galchenyuk's talent?

It's great that Deslauriers had success, but the team was still outplayed when he was on the ice. Daniel Carr had just as good a month, with just as much offensive production and being just as hard-working on the ice. Why didn't he get as many star votes? Goalies tend to get star votes more easily and I also believe Francophone players tend to get lauded more easily when they do well.

AGree 100%^ 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎2018‎-‎01‎-‎02 at 9:53 PM, BigTed3 said:

 But Galchenyuk had just as many points and was just as good

And there lies the reason in a nutshell, he had just as many points as a 4th line player who averages 10 minutes a game compared to someone who averages 15minutes a game, a player who gets 0 minutes per game on the power play to someone who gets over 2 minutes per game on the power play. A player who has a cap hit of 750 thousand to a guy who has a cap hit of 4.9 million 

The reason Nicholas got it over a player like Alex is not because he is French. Its because he over achieved his value, why would you give it to someone who underachieved?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Ravadak said:

And there lies the reason in a nutshell, he had just as many points as a 4th line player who averages 10 minutes a game compared to someone who averages 15minutes a game, a player who gets 0 minutes per game on the power play to someone who gets over 2 minutes per game on the power play. A player who has a cap hit of 750 thousand to a guy who has a cap hit of 4.9 million 

The reason Nicholas got it over a player like Alex is not because he is French. Its because he over achieved his value, why would you give it to someone who underachieved?

Galcenyuk had 9 points in 12 games and played about 14.0 minutes a game.

Carr had 9 points in 12 games and played about 12.3 minutes per game.

Deslauriers had 7 points in 11 games and played about 12.4 minutes a game. There were 4 games where he got more ice time than Galchenyuk, who was given the ice time of a 4th liner on many nights. 

So both Carr and Galchenyuk out-produced Deslauriers. I notice you addressed Galchenyuk but ignored the Carr example I gave, even though Carr scored more points with less ice time and had just as low expectations of value as Deslauriers.

The main difference between Carr and Deslauriers is that Deslauriers is French. Because Carr was the better player in December. I'm by no means saying Deslauriers had a bad month. The guy played well and deserved some recognition, but I think others were on par with him or better and did not get due recognition. I don't think it's a secret that the media in Montreal (who choose the star selections) over-value Francophones. They clamor for French coaches and GM's and they love when we get a homegrown talent on our roster. So let's compare similar type players:

Drouin was lauded strongly in the press (and by Bergevin) and has been allowed to play center for a long stretch, despite the fact Galchenyuk had more NHL experience, more experience as a center, and better production than Drouin. Galchenyuk was labeled as lazy and defensively-irresponsible. No questions were raised about Drouin's attitude despite the fact he was a hold-out in Tampa who had asked for a trade.

Lars Eller languished here for several seasons. He was never given a real chance at playing top 6 center, even though he had great results when given the chance to center the EGG line for a brief period and better results with Pacioretty than DD or the other guys who got to play there. Despite this, he had no prolonged opportunity there. On the other hand, a similar player like Danault has been given umpteen games to play on the first line with the likes of Pacioretty and Radulov. Danault has played well at times and I really like him as a player, but I liked Eller just as much and Eller was never given the same chance.

David Desharnais remained the number one center despite having a scoreless slump of something like 30+ games at one point. That same luxury was never afforded Scott Gomez.

Don't get me wrong. It's not always fantastic to be a Quebecer on the Habs. When things go south, the media will also get on those players too. But I don't think it's a secret that the media loves a Francophone success story and that the team over-values contributions of Francophones, when non-Francophones can play just as well and don't get the same recognition. To me, that is PART of why Deslauriers got more attention than the likes of Galchenyuk and Carr.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Deslauriers led the team with four goals

He also led all NHL players with 54 hits

Deslauriers was a +10, Galchenyk was a - 4,

Over and over and over, you talk about Galchenyk points. Hockey is more than that.

Galchenyk got 34 minutes more icetime then Deslauriers. That equates to more then 2 games

Galchenyk got 16:58 seconds of PP time, Deslauriers got :02 seconds. 

But you are right Galchenyk did get 2 more points than Deslauriers.  So why was Galchenyk not picked?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Ravadak said:

Deslauriers led the team with four goals

He also led all NHL players with 54 hits

Deslauriers was a +10, Galchenyk was a - 4,

Over and over and over, you talk about Galchenyk points. Hockey is more than that.

Galchenyk got 34 minutes more icetime then Deslauriers. That equates to more then 2 games

Galchenyk got 16:58 seconds of PP time, Deslauriers got :02 seconds. 

But you are right Galchenyk did get 2 more points than Deslauriers.  So why was Galchenyk not picked?

Probably not necessary for you to post in large font with bold and underline. The fact that you are writing like you are shouting at me doesn't make your points any more or less convincing.

That said, I will make the following comments:

1. I'm typically careful judging players based on number of hits. If you're constantly hitting guys, it's usually because your team doesn't have the puck when you're on the ice. Hits leaders in the NHL this year are Chris Wagner and Robert Hagg, and if you said "who?" so did I. Brooks Orpik, Luke Schenn, and Matt Martin are also in the top 10. These aren't exactly top-tier players.

2. We've had this debate on the site before, but +/- doesn't correlate with much. I will give you that a difference of 14 within a month is probably significant, but again, Deslauriers had a PDO of something like 120 in December. The team, as far as I know, didn't allow an ES goal with the 4th line on the ice, despite the fact they were outshot on most nights. Deslauriers had a 22% shooting percentage in December, something he won't replicate too often either.

3. I'm not saying Deslauriers was bad. I'm actually saying he had a good month results-wise. But if you look at Carr (who you again, seem to be ignoring in your replies), he was just as good and probably better than Deslauriers, and he didn't get as many star votes. Why? And I also felt that AG was just as good. You're entitled to disagree with that, but he's an offensive player who did his job well. I can fully appreciate that Deslauriers had a good month but so too did Carr, AG, Price, Petry, etc... and I simply think that Deslauriers' play was over-valued in part because the media loves to vote for a Quebec-born buy who does well.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Ravadak said:

Deslauriers led the team with four goals

He also led all NHL players with 54 hits

Deslauriers was a +10, Galchenyk was a - 4,

Over and over and over, you talk about Galchenyk points. Hockey is more than that.

Galchenyk got 34 minutes more icetime then Deslauriers. That equates to more then 2 games

Galchenyk got 16:58 seconds of PP time, Deslauriers got :02 seconds. 

But you are right Galchenyk did get 2 more points than Deslauriers.  So why was Galchenyk not picked?

Dude lay off AG, just because you don't like a player does not mean you need to go from thread to thread knocking him, he's a great offencive player when they let him be, that's something we need, we don't need anymore defencive minded players with great +- ty

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

1. I'm typically careful judging players based on number of hits. If you're constantly hitting guys, it's usually because your team doesn't have the puck when you're on the ice. Hits leaders in the NHL this year are Chris Wagner and Robert Hagg, and if you said "who?" so did I. Brooks Orpik, Luke Schenn, and Matt Martin are also in the top 10. These aren't exactly top-tier players.

 

 

Your team may not have the puck but if you're throwing hits in the offensive zone trying to get the puck back on the forecheck I'd say that's a plus.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Ravadak said:

Deslauriers led the team with four goals

He also led all NHL players with 54 hits

Deslauriers was a +10, Galchenyk was a - 4,

Over and over and over, you talk about Galchenyk points. Hockey is more than that.

Galchenyk got 34 minutes more icetime then Deslauriers. That equates to more then 2 games

Galchenyk got 16:58 seconds of PP time, Deslauriers got :02 seconds. 

But you are right Galchenyk did get 2 more points than Deslauriers.  So why was Galchenyk not picked?

What's with the bold underline? Seems like you're shouting...don't be mad 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, habs1952 said:

Your team may not have the puck but if you're throwing hits in the offensive zone trying to get the puck back on the forecheck I'd say that's a plus.

Yes, but that's hard to interpret just based on hit totals alone. Again, if you look at the hits leaders in the NHL, they're typically 4th liners or lower-pairing D men with bad possession numbers, so it would suggest guys who throw a lot of hits don't have the puck much, similar to guys who shot block a lot. What would be more interesting would be to know how many of Deslauriers' hits lead to turnovers where we regain puck control.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...