The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

The Rest of the NHL

habs1952

5 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

Would that not mean that he was the problem? LOL

Sounds good to me. He deserves what he gets for abandoning ship for pretty much the same money he would have got to play on the Island. I could see it if he had asked for market value, because the NYI's weren't going there,,,, but he signed for a discount and less term with the Laffs.

5 hours ago, H_T_L said:

Wonder how Tavares is feeling today knowing the Islanders will play in round 2? 

Maybe he prefers golfing in the Spring and he knew this was the best way to an early tee time?

I work with an Isle fan and he was livid when Tavares left them high and dry. He is loving every moment of this.

I get that it’s a business and all but score another one for Karma. Can’t think of a more deserving guy to have to feel how he does this morning.

2 hours ago, Flying_Lion said:

Maybe he prefers golfing in the Spring and he knew this was the best way to an early tee time?

I work with an Isle fan and he was livid when Tavares left them high and dry. He is loving every moment of this.

I get that it’s a business and all but score another one for Karma. Can’t think of a more deserving guy to have to feel how he does this morning.

Personally, I don't see Tavares as being a bad guy in this. Sure, he plays for the Leafs now, but he went there because he wanted to play for his hometown team and he reportedly took less money to go there. He didn't just do this for money, he didn't lie and say he was coming back knowing he wasn't. Yeah, I get Isles' fans being upset they lost him, but I don't see how you can fault Tavares here or hate on him for what he did... the only people Isles fans should be mad at are their management team who didn't read his move well enough... if they weren't certain they would get JT signed, they should have traded him last year. Their own fault for ending up with nothing.

17 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Personally, I don't see Tavares as being a bad guy in this. Sure, he plays for the Leafs now, but he went there because he wanted to play for his hometown team and he reportedly took less money to go there. He didn't just do this for money, he didn't lie and say he was coming back knowing he wasn't. Yeah, I get Isles' fans being upset they lost him, but I don't see how you can fault Tavares here or hate on him for what he did... the only people Isles fans should be mad at are their management team who didn't read his move well enough... if they weren't certain they would get JT signed, they should have traded him last year. Their own fault for ending up with nothing.

Agreed JT saw an opportunity to not only play for his hometown but also contend for the cup. It would be like Poehling playing out his contract here and then signing with Minnesota to play for the wild

10 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

That makes sense. I was always under the impression he pleaded with them not to trade him and that he had indicated a desire to stay. I suppose without a signed contract, they should have done what was best for their organization.

If it’s true that he specifically asked not to be traded, though, that seems to me a bit disingenuous. If there was any doubt he would re-sign, he should have kept his mouth shut. It handcuffs a GM to an extent, makes them look like the bad guy for trading away a player that “wanted to stay”.

Still, he got millions from the Islanders and would have gotten more from them. I doubt he was completely oblivious to what the market would look like for his talents so to act like he only left the Islanders because Toronto came calling is a bit of an eye-roll. I don’t think he had any intent to stay and any indication otherwise that factored into the Islanders’ (admittedly poor) decision to hold onto him pass the deadline was pretty bad form. 

Yeah, at the end of the day, it’s on management for the fact that they got nothing but it doesn’t change the fact that the reasons he left - to win a Cup and be a hometown savior - blew up in his face this year. The future doesn’t look as bright in TO now that the experiment didn’t produce the magic they hoped for and they’re in the same spot they were last year.

So, like I said, I think golfing looks good on him. 

16 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

5 hours ago, Flying_Lion said:

That makes sense. I was always under the impression he pleaded with them not to trade him and that he had indicated a desire to stay. I suppose without a signed contract, they should have done what was best for their organization.

Yeah i think the Isles fans have a perception of what went on behind closed doors but nobody really knows but Tavares, his agent & Isles management.

The rumours in NY are that he was asked prior to the deadline if he was going to test free agency & he said no, he wanted to stay in Long Island but who knows if that is true - and even then, if it was, its still a risk on NY's part.  My feeling is that if you cant get your superstar franchise player signed the summer before his final contract year then you probably should trade him for assets.  

That said, there's a legitimate chance he had every intention of returning to NY - assuming Toronto didnt offer him a contract. In other words, it was the leafs (childhood team) or the isles (team that drafted him) and listening to everyone else was just for fun/to see what is out there.   You cant really blame him in any event.

Technically, deals can still happen after the deadline. The deadline is for playing eligibility for the remainder of this season -- a player has to be dealt by the deadline in order to be eligible for the playoffs or any remaining regular season games with his new team. It isn't common, but two teams could theoretically trade minor-league players or prospects after the deadline.

• H_T_L locked and unlocked this topic
  • H_T_L locked this topic