The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

The Rest of the NHL

1 hour ago, Noob616 said:

Backlund re signs in Calgary, 6Y/5.25M per. Damn, was really hoping the Habs would be the team giving him that contract.

Nahhh,,, MB (not BG) only signs bottom 6 players. 

Edited by kinot-2
1 hour ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I don't think Backlund would be the solution to our problem.

I'm pretty high on Backlund, he's a ~50 point two way center that plays tough defensive minutes and excels possession-wise. To me signing Backlund to that contract would almost be like rolling back the clock 5 years on Plekanec IMO. He's definitely not the saviour and it doesn't matter because he's signed now but the Habs can't be choosers when it comes to (hypothetical) UFA top 6 centers, and they'd easily be able to afford him with piles of cap space since Plekanec's 6M cap hit is either gone or much cheaper next year.

Idk, what I think gets lost in the search for a 1C is that the Habs really don't have a long term solution at 1C, 2C, or 3C either. Drouin is a winger ideally and not a long term solution at 1C. Danault is an adequate 2C but like I said in the other thread he doesn't stack up to Turris, Point, Krejci, Kadri, Malkin, Kesler, Carter, Couture, Draisaitl, Little, Patrick, Kuznetsov, Barzal, etc. It seems unfair to compare him to those guys but in reality the Habs would have to beat those teams in the playoffs and are basically guaranteed to have to go through 2 of Boston, Tampa, and Toronto in the first 2 rounds. 

Plekanec is an OK 3C but he's probably only got a year left at best and he's not a long term solution either, and Danault can't be the long term 3C because he's still needed in the top 6. Just any center that can legitimately fill a top 6 role helps this team so much, and now that Backlund's gone all that's potentially out there is Tavares and maybe Stastny who's 33.

Kings were leading the Sabres 4-0 after the second period and not the first as posted above.  Score is now Los Angeles 4 Buffalo 1 with 15:35 left in the third period.  Anaheim 1 Minnesota 1 after the first period.  Ottawa 2 Rangers 1 after the first period.  

How many times has Cam Talbot complained about goaltender interference this season?! Last night it seemed totally warranted that Edmonton's goal was disallowed. The fact that HIS team refused to challenge Arizona's first goal has nothing to do with the officials. Talbot seems like an absolute whiner.

1 hour ago, jennifer_rocket said:

How many times has Cam Talbot complained about goaltender interference this season?! Last night it seemed totally warranted that Edmonton's goal was disallowed. The fact that HIS team refused to challenge Arizona's first goal has nothing to do with the officials. Talbot seems like an absolute whiner.

Agreed. No way that goal should have stood. That was as clear an infraction as any other. No idea why he would whine about that one.

Gudbranson signed in Vancouver for 3Y/4M per. Thank god, I just had this feeling the Habs were going to throw money at him and we already have one disastrous contract to a depth defenseman. Next potential Habs grenade that I hope gets taken care of is Bozak, and to a lesser extent Stastny.

• H_T_L locked and unlocked this topic
  • H_T_L locked this topic