The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

The Rest of the NHL

habs1952

39 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

Leafs are eliminated 3 days ago and yet the top 2 headlines today on TSN are about them. So typical.:rolleyes:

If you want to check on what the real hockey teams have done today you have to scroll down.

on the bright side everyone seems to be turning on Dubas.   I love his comments about Ceci.  Basically said he didnt suck, advanced stats show he didnt. lol. 

2 hours ago, maas_art said:

Bruins suddenly a lot more beatable (not that he's been playing great so far) 

Yeah, no kidding. Before the playoffs started, I had Mtl, TB, Was, and Car moving through. In the West, I picked LV, Col, Cgy, and Van. Feeling good about the West, not as good about the East. But regardless of how you look at things, none of those teams look unbeatable and there are so many wildcards this year. I still don't like the odds of winning the Cup, but Bos went from #1 seed to #4 seed and now has lost its starting goalie. Carolina looks like they might have just lost Svechnikov to an ankle or leg injury for a while. But its not unfeasible that we see all of Mtl, NYI, and Clb moving through along with the winner of the Bos-Car series, who could be short one of their best players. In our case, I almost wonder if we've been better against Rask than Halak if we have to face one or the other, but it's one less asset Boston has and Halak at his age may struggle playing every game through the playoffs...

Ah, the tools that be the NHL/Boston media:

- Former Bruins coach Mike Milbury says that Tuukka Rask had no reason to leave the bubble and that no one else would have done it other than him.

- Former Hab Brandon Prust (who has made his share of inappropriate remarks on social media lately) says that leaving to spend time with your family and newborn is dumb because "babies don't even know who you are for the first 6 months of their lives so what does it matter if he's there." (you can't make this stuff up for how dumb some people are)

- Bruins' commentator Jack Edwards (aka the biggest homer in the game) says Svechnikov essentially deserved to be injured by Chara because he "rode Chara like a hobby-horse" on a previous goal.

1 minute ago, BigTed3 said:

Ah, the tools that be the NHL/Boston media:

- Former Bruins coach Mike Milbury says that Tuukka Rask had no reason to leave the bubble and that no one else would have done it other than him.

- Former Hab Brandon Prust (who has made his share of inappropriate remarks on social media lately) says that leaving to spend time with your family and newborn is dumb because "babies don't even know who you are for the first 6 months of their lives so what does it matter if he's there." (you can't make this stuff up for how dumb some people are)

- Bruins' commentator Jack Edwards (aka the biggest homer in the game) says Svechnikov essentially deserved to be injured by Chara because he "rode Chara like a hobby-horse" on a previous goal.

No argument,,, yes those guys are all tools, but IMO Rask is also a tool. He knew his family situation going into this bubble and had the chance to opt out beforehand with no consequences to himself. He's leaving his team high and dry and is also quoted as saying he's bored. If a Hab had done that, you can bet the media would jump down his throat. I'd be surprised if the Bruins don't try to move him before next season.

4 hours ago, H_T_L said:

No argument,,, yes those guys are all tools, but IMO Rask is also a tool. He knew his family situation going into this bubble and had the chance to opt out beforehand with no consequences to himself. He's leaving his team high and dry and is also quoted as saying he's bored. If a Hab had done that, you can bet the media would jump down his throat. I'd be surprised if the Bruins don't try to move him before next season.

Not defending Rask in general, because he seems like he's got a temper and a bad attitude sometimes, but in this case, I don't blame him that much. Don Sweeney said today that no one on the team was surprised to hear he opted out and that they "were privy to information about this for much longer than the public or the media." So it sounds like this wasn't a last-minute decision. It sounds like Rask struggled with the idea of coming into the bubble in the first place and gave it a go and it wasn't for him. The guy doesn't need the money in all likelihood, so if he was having doubts, he probably decided to give it a try for his teammates. Can't blame a guy for deciding his family is more important to him, at least that's my take.

Probably safer for Rask to cross and disappoint 20 teammates than a pregnant woman (more dangerous than a Marchand) or the lady that is making your family for the rest of your life. Hockey is still just a sport that has had to be regulated from a virus and put a lot of people in a difficult situation. I was reading some where that many players plan their families around the hockey season (give birth in July or August) Hard to blame him for that, unless you're a fan as we tend to see the sport and the player differently. I can imagine some of the communication he has had with his wife has been quite emotional (something to do with hormones I think) and he is nearing the end of his career. Now if Halak's wife can arrange for him to leave before the Habs play the Bruins that would be nice.

• H_T_L locked this topic