The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Bergevin Mid Season Press Conference

Did anyone catch the entire presser?  I was sleeping (night shift in the Oil Patch), so I missed it, what were your takeaways?  I caught a lot of the reaction on twitter but would like know what you all thought of it. 

Not sure why he felt the need to have a press conference .

To answer to everything that's gone wrong and yet he still feels that this team can win because the really CP31 is back playing the way he can

Edited by Regis22

I had a chance to watch the whole thing at work on my phone (don't tell my boss). 

This is what I took from it: 

Bergevin knows he's made mistakes, of course can't publicly admit to it like a lot of us would want him to but it's there.  I think he's being slowly humbled as he goes along here, no more silly, you want loyalty buy a dog comments (which I loved btw).  

I am certainly not a Bergevin apologist but I do have more hope for him than I did before the conference.  He seems to know that Drouin wasn't the answer he was looking for at C when he traded away our blue chip PMD in Sergachev.  

I want this team to fight to the end because:

A.  I don't think they will get a top three pick even if they try to tank, they're not bad enough for that

B.  It will create a better atmosphere in that room, if they make a big push and still miss out they gain a better sense of camaraderie, they work hard in the off season and come back ready to fight from game 1 next year with a few more tools after what looks to be a decent UFA crop coming.  

C. Tanking is bad in the modern era, look at EDM, BUF, ARI, etc.  They have created a losing culture there that is very difficult to shake.  Imagine that same losing culture in Montreal,  wow, the boos raining down on them would only sink them further.  

The future is still bright ladies and gentlemen - Juulsen and Scherbek are coming along nicely, Poehling is going to be a great #2C, and Tavares will look great in a Habs Uni next season;)

Melnick asked Ferraro if he was confused by Bergevin’s statement that in a perfect world Drouin would be on the wing but that for now he’s the best the Canadiens have as a No. 1 centre.

“I don’t know why you’re confused,” Ferraro said jokingly.

“I was blown away with that statement,” the analyst added. “You’re going to trade your No. 1 prospect for a player that doesn’t address your biggest need and you’re going to play him out of position — the new guy — and you’re going to know that he doesn’t belong there. That’s not confusing, that’s dumb-founding.”

http://montrealgazette.com/sports/hockey/nhl/hockey-inside-out/stu-cowan-canadiens-are-still-searching-for-that-elusive-no-1-centre

You want a big return? Trade Price then. Teams like Chicago and Pittsburgh and other teams, have proven you can win with a good goalie and not a GREAT goalie. As long as you surround him with a good D.

2 hours ago, habby67 said:

You want a big return? Trade Price then. Teams like Chicago and Pittsburgh and other teams, have proven you can win with a good goalie and not a GREAT goalie. As long as you surround him with a good D.

According to Capfriendly.com, Carey has a full no movement clause negotiated as part of his extension. Not sure where their information comes from, but it mentions that it is in effect now. So, Carey's with us for good (most likely).

2 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

According to Capfriendly.com, Carey has a full no movement clause negotiated as part of his extension. Not sure where their information comes from, but it mentions that it is in effect now. So, Carey's with us for good (most likely).

I believe his full NTC starts with the new contract July 1st. Like with PK, there's a window now to deal him before that kicks in and if he's traded, he loses his NTC (the new team doesn't have to honor it). Loophole in the CBA I guess, but in my view, they should do away with NTC's altogether.

3 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

I believe his full NTC starts with the new contract July 1st. Like with PK, there's a window now to deal him before that kicks in and if he's traded, he loses his NTC (the new team doesn't have to honor it). Loophole in the CBA I guess, but in my view, they should do away with NTC's altogether.

When they negotiated the new contract they retroactively added the NMC to his current contract as of the day it was signed in the summer.

2 hours ago, Noob616 said:

When they negotiated the new contract they retroactively added the NMC to his current contract as of the day it was signed in the summer.

That sounds fishy. You can't renegotiate, restructure, or terminate contracts in the NHL. So why would you be allowed to add a clause to an existing contract? I know capfriendly and Nick Kypreos both reported this, but other than a gentleman's agreement with Bergevin, I don't see how this is legit under the CBA.

2 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

That sounds fishy. You can't renegotiate, restructure, or terminate contracts in the NHL. So why would you be allowed to add a clause to an existing contract? I know capfriendly and Nick Kypreos both reported this, but other than a gentleman's agreement with Bergevin, I don't see how this is legit under the CBA.

I don't know the specifics, maybe it's a gentleman's agreement or maybe it's possible to upgrade a NTC to a NMC as part of another contract. I'd guess Price saw what happened to Subban and insisted on it.