The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

The Draft

maas_art

5 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Everyone's going off the board. Makes you wonder if there even is a board.

I think it's more of a butterfly effect thing. If the Habs just took Zadina the draft plays out completely differently I think. 

If one team likes a guy at #15 better than the consensus #15, then the next team likes the #17 guy better than the #16, etc etc. It only takes a few of those to completely throw off the draft board.

Just now, Noob616 said:

I think it's more of a butterfly effect thing. If the Habs just took Zadina the draft plays out completely differently I think. 

If one team likes a guy at #15 better than the consensus #15, then the next team likes the #17 guy better than the #16, etc etc. It only takes a few of those to completely throw off the draft board.

One event can definitely throw the draft in a whole different direction, but I think a lot of these teams just went their own ways. If you believe the GM's, Ott takes Tkachuk anyways (I believe that one) and Ari maybe takes Hayton anyways too (Chayka said he was their guy all along) if we take Zadina. Det probably takes Hughes instead of Zadina, which means Van takes Dobson or Bouchard. Chi likely takes Kotkaniemi. NYR likely stick with Kravtsov. Edm likely stays with Bouchard if Van took Dobson. The Isles take Wahlstrom but then maybe take Boqvist instead. I'm not sure the top 12 are any different, even if they go to different teams. But a few of these mid round picks have opened up guys like Veleno and Wilde dropping.

Can't complain about tonight so far - we didn't trade our pick or Pacioretty for some terrible defenseman, so that's good. Took the best center available - worries me a bit that it's considered a bit of a reach at 3rd or would have been nice if we could have traded down, but that's always risky to pull off.

Just now, Graeme-1 said:

Can't complain about tonight so far - we didn't trade our pick or Pacioretty for some terrible defenseman, so that's good. Took the best center available - worries me a bit that it's considered a bit of a reach at 3rd or would have been nice if we could have traded down, but that's always risky to pull off.

given how things played out, i think we made the right choice

So we have the 4th and 7th choices tomorrow.

Here are my top players remaining, first with the boatload of D men in this range:

- Bode Wilde

- Jett Woo

- Jared McIssac

- Adam Ginning

- Jonathan Tychonick

- Sean Durzi

There are going to be some D men with great potential there at 35 and 38 and maybe even late in the 2nd round.

Up front,

- Akil Thomas

- Vladislav Kotkov

- Jesse Ylonen

- Jonatan Berggren

Big winners of the 1st round:

- Det, getting Zadina falling to 6 and Veleno falling to 30. Those guys could have easily gone 3 and 10, and they may now have 2/3 of a first line for 10 years.

- NYI, getting Wahlstrom and Dobson at 11 and 12. Both top 10 guys who fell down to them. Both safe bets to be regulars in the NHL and as I said, possible that Wahlstrom ends up being better than Zadina and/or Tkachuk.

- Edm and Van, having Bouchard and Hughes fall to them.

- Chi: first they got big potential Adam Boqvist and then they got Beaudin late. Two stud defencemen, a little bit more of a gamble than some of the other 1st rounders, but a possible top pairing duo. Solid.

10 minutes ago, loyalhabsfan said:

I am incredibly happy with JK. Happy MB had the stones to make that pick. Also glad we didn't do anything crazy, tells me our draft board is still in line and I'm hoping we stay the course with the second round. Come'on Timmins.

I agree. I trust Timmins & I think if he thinks JK is a potential #1C then they made the right play. 

Im curious what happens next.  JK has been playing in a men's league so does he do better over in Finland or do we bring him over to Laval?  He can play in the minors (unlike most drafted player) and we could potentially call him up as early as next year.  I cant imagine he steps right onto the team but you never know i guess. 

1 minute ago, CaptWelly said:

Subban was taken in the second round!

Right but he was never projected to go high.

When you look back at players who were projected as top 10 picks and they end up going late into the 1st round they almost never work out. 

I can live with that pick, not really a surprise. And please let's not rush him, barring major changes we'll suck with or without Kotkaniemi next season. I'd give the kid all the time he needs.

And thumbs up to Detroit, a core of Zadina, Veleno, Larkin, and Mantha to build around is nothing to sneeze at.

Wrong choice at number three, you have to take the best player and we didnt. I dont think it ever works when your drafting for a position. Hoping I am wrong. I dont think he is quick enough for the pivot, i think that is one of the main reasons he played the wing in the finnish league. And the more you play on the wing the tougher it is to play center. Check our most recent trade AG.

Zadina on not being drafted by the habs / ottawa .. i will fill their nets with goals :)

I'm okay with the Kotkaniemi pick. In the weeks building up the draft we were all aware it would probably be Kotkaniemi or Zadina, so I was kind of expecting it. We picked the best centre available in the draft. Go us! Let's hope he develops into a top line player in the coming years. Detroit certainly got a gift with Zadina falling to them at #6.