The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

The Draft

maas_art

18 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Romanov ranked 156 by hockey prospects, 179 by future considerations, 115 among Europeans by Central Scouting. A big reach there. Not happy with the Habs day 2 thus far.

sigh

I mean look at the recent history, it hasn't been good. 

6 minutes ago, Noob616 said:

Not thrilled with Romanov but I won't pretend I have any clue about these guys past the first handful of guys. Guess they felt comfortable reaching with 4 second round picks and the Habs really need a skilled Russian LD.

Im the same as you in terms of true knowledge but when hes ranked 156... thats too much of a reach for me given recent history. I hope I'm wrong

52 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Romanov ranked 156 by hockey prospects, 179 by future considerations, 115 among Europeans by Central Scouting. A big reach there. Not happy with the Habs day 2 thus far.

32 minutes ago, Noob616 said:

Not thrilled with Romanov but I won't pretend I have any clue about these guys past the first handful of guys. Guess they felt comfortable reaching with 4 second round picks and the Habs really need a skilled Russian LD.

To me this feels like the first real "Timmins" draft of the Bergevin era.  So far we've seen a lot of strange, 'off the board' picks which makes me think they are all Timmins (Bergevin always went 'safe')     Hopefully we get some gems. Its a weird collection so far but Timmins has shown he can often pick guys everyone else overlooked.  Im surprised he picked some of them so early but if he felt like Romanov was better than anyone else left, then i guess its the right move (if you think someone will take him before your next pick).

Its tough to tell at this point but i'll give TT the benefit of the doubt for now.  

23 minutes ago, maas_art said:

To me this feels like the first real "Timmins" draft of the Bergevin era.  So far we've seen a lot of strange, 'off the board' picks which makes me think they are all Timmins (Bergevin always went 'safe')     Hopefully we get some gems. Its a weird collection so far but Timmins has shown he can often pick guys everyone else overlooked.  Im surprised he picked some of them so early but if he felt like Romanov was better than anyone else left, then i guess its the right move (if you think someone will take him before your next pick).

Its tough to tell at this point but i'll give TT the benefit of the doubt for now.  

16 minutes ago, Noob616 said:

Yeah I agree, Romanov plus the Harris pick (US High School) makes this feel very much like a Timmins draft.

I just hope it's finding underrated players and not just galaxy brain overthinking things.

Hope you guys are right! I wouldn't know. But I do have the hope that its Timmins and the bad drafting has been due to MB... can't be sure of it but definitely a possibility 

The issue with Romanov is not that he'll be bad, but tons of scouts have seen him and didn't think that highly of him. So the odds were high he still would have been there at 56 or 61 or 66 or so on. You had an elite first-round level prospect like Jared McIssac sitting there at 35 and you bypass him to take Ylonen. You bypass Akil Thomas and Ryan McLeod and Bode Wilde and so on too. Those high 2nd rounders are chances to essentially grab multiple 1st round talents. Instead, they go off the board twice and take guys you could have gotten lower down. Not impressed.

I guess only thing is they've been good at scouting the OHL lately (Sergachev, Mete), so maybe they saw something about McLeod or Thomas they didn't like. I certainly would have preferred one of those guys or Wilde over Romanov but I do like the Ylonen pick a lot. 

1 minute ago, Noob616 said:

I guess only thing is they've been good at scouting the OHL lately (Sergachev, Mete), so maybe they saw something about McLeod or Thomas they didn't like. 

I personally didn't think highly of McLeod but I liked Thomas as a 2nd round pick-up. I certainly see more value there than in Romanov. McIssac was really the guy I wanted at 35, which is why I'm disappointed to see us pass on him.

Habs had that combine for Scandinavian prospects and they clearly wanted to go back there multiple times. But I wonder if they ignored some guys here just because they thought they had inside information on some of these European guys.