The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Poll: Your One Do-Over

BigTed3

If you could take back one player, who would you choose?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. If you could take back one player, who would you choose?

• P.K. Subban (but you need to give up Shea Weber)
    • Mikhail Sergachev (but you need to give up Jonathan Drouin)
    • Ryan McDonagh (for free)
    • Alex Radulov (for free)

The Habs have made a few ill-advised moves. If you could undo one of those, which player would you want back, keeping in mind that you have to give up any pieces of the trade we still have left on our roster... this is not asking you which trade you would go back in time and not make, this is asking you which player you would take back in present day to add to our current roster going forward.

Yup. All 4 would be welcomed on my roster but Subban is obviously the guy i want back by a far. 

As bad as the McDonaugh deal was, I dont fault gainey nearly as much as I do MB for the Subban deal.  McDonaugh was an unknown - albeit a very very high end prospect- but Gainey felt he needed to "change the culture" and, misguided as it was, did set the groundworks for the much improved team that Bergevin inherited.   In subban we had a young, norris trophy winning dman who was capable of playing with anyone, in any situation. In return we got an elite defensman already in decline, with 4 years and way more mileage on his bones.  Both were totally known and it was a horrendous deal no matter how you slice it.

At least, unlike the John Scott deal, it didnt come with a "I had to make that trade. I have a reason that I can't really tell you why, but if I could, you would probably understand."

I'd take Sergachev only because although I picked Trump to win early I didn't really follow through all the way. I have to believe we live in a world of stripes be it army, police or exslave in the US and the amount of change the racist president has brought to my country has had to alter PK in a way unforeseen by most. I think he was a bit of a loose cannon. Maybe not now but the change though not necessary wasn't as bad as thinking Drouin could pick it up as much as Weber would falter in comparison. Capiche?

Subban, without question.

With Subban in the fold, the trading of Sergachev for Drouin isn't so mind-boggling stupid. McDonagh has been a Ranger for so long, I kind of forget he could have been a Hab. As far as Radulov is concerned, his talent certainly missed, but not nearly as much as Subban's on the back end.

16 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

The Eller deal could have been included in the poll. I'm not syaing he would get votes but that was the start of the destruction.

I thought about it! But I didn't think it would match up to the others, so I opted only to put in players I thought could realistically get votes to win. Eller is himself probably inferior to the others as a player and with McDo and Radulov potentially coming back for free (whereas for Eller you'd have to give back two 2nd's or Shaw, however you see it), I didn't see it being a valid option. That said, I agree with you that it was another one of Bergevin's boneheaded moves that cost us, just to a lesser degree.

I get the love for Subban. He's easily the best player on that list. But in my view right now, the team has been run down so much by Bergevin that I just don't think we have the horses to win a Cup, even with Subban. And Subban would be 2-3 years older than when we dealt him away, so at this point, I'd rather have the guy who can be a stud here for another 8-10 years, and that's Sergachev. Drouin would have been a good acquisition if he were able to play center, but that ship seems to have sailed. And so if he's not filling a need on this team, I'd rather get  someone we do need: a #1 LHD with a chance to extend the Cup window.

FWIW

Not saying these guys would have the same points if they were still with Montreal because obviously Montreal is a bad hockey club.

Subban 40 pts

Sergachev 28

Max  32`

1 Would not have traded Subban for Weber straight up - would have at least tried to get something else from Nashville if Weber is was so well regarded throughout the league

2. Its hind sight now but they were week on D and traded Sergachev for a winger ( Drouin )  in the hopes that the winger could play C . It never worked out . The D still is bad and we have no C . That was an all round flop.  

3. Keeping Radulov would be nice but no with no # 1  C , and a lousy D , he wouldn't have made a difference , this year was still a train wreck waiting to happen 

I choose Subban

2 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

My do over didn't make the list. I wouldn't have hired MB. That solves 3 out of 4 of those deals. If I have to pick one, then I have to go with the one that had the most impact and made this team totally boring to watch. The PK deal.

beat me by literally 1 minute

:4224:

this^

Subban for me. He's one of a handful of elite defenders that can play with literally anyone and put up elite top pair results. After Karlsson I put him as interchangeable with Doughty/Hedman as the #2-4 ranked defenders in the league. It also changes the overall team trajectory, a core of 28 year old Pacioretty/Subban and 30 year old Price would make me much more comfortable about retaining Pacioretty and trying to go all in built around that core. 

I could buy an argument for Sergachev given his age too, some combination of Weber, Petry, Sergachev, and Mete is a good top 4 in the short and medium term, and Sergachev helps offset Weber's weaknesses. I just think overall Subban changes things the most, right now Price is really the only game breaking talent on the team, Subban would add another and his skillset obviously compliments Pacioretty's as well.

Subban is likely still an elite player for another 2-4 years. After that, it's a question of how well he ages, but you can expect some amount of a drop-off. If we re-acquire Subban now, then, I ask myself if we're able to compete for a Cup immediately. We're probably a lot better. We're probably a playoff team. But we'd still have work to do. I'm not sure you can keep Pacioretty, Price, and Subban long-term with all three guys hitting their 30's and eating up a combined 26-27M in salary. I think the focus should be on trading Weber and Pacioretty for younger assets, and to me, Sergachev fits into that gameplan. If you take me back a couple of years and ask me to keep Subban at age 25 or 26, then absolutely, yes. But we've seen what a few years extra has done to Weber and I think Sergachev, while not the better player yet, fits into what our gameplan should be going forward.

Sergachev.  Subban seems like the obvious choice but even with him, with the lousy trades/drafting/non-development of players over the years I don't feel the Habs are contenders.  Subban would merely have papered over the mistakes for a few more seasons and probably a few better picks.

What's worse, he might just paper it over enough that Therrien and Bergevin still end up having their jobs.

Sergachev + rebuild.

Ted... Your One Do-Over? It would require going back in time... or so I assumed. If you could take back one player (now), who would you choose?...  is a different context.

Re: Eller... I thought about it! But I didn't think it would match up to the others, so I opted only to put in players I thought could realistically get votes to win.

I get the love for Subban. He's easily the best player on that list. But in my view right now, the team has been run down so much by Bergevin that I just don't think we have the horses to win a Cup, even with Subban... I'd rather get  someone we do need: a #1 LHD with a chance to extend the Cup window.

If we re-acquire Subban now, then, I ask myself if we're able to compete for a Cup immediately.

I think the focus should be on trading Weber and Pacioretty for younger assets, and to me, Sergachev fits into that gameplan.

I voted Subban bypassing your intended context and initial comment (which I hadn't read)... my bad, but do understand your comments for the "now" scenario.

I would still choose Subban provided Weber is traded... he has proven his worth to-date

• 2 weeks later...