The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

How good is Stephane Waite?

maas_art

As Neimi has yet another strong outing I wonder how much of our goaltending success needs to be directed to Stephane Waite.  

Im not suggesting for one minute that Carey Price isnt a generational goaltending talent - he is - but its interesting that Waite seems to get the most out of every tender that puts on our uniform.

We've made a number of moves since he got here (Signing a purportedly washed up Neimi, trading Desjardins for Tokarski, Claiming Mike Condon) that seemed odd at the time but ended up getting us a strong goalie.

So, how much credit does Waite deserve?  He clearly seems to be able to bring out the best in any tender - does he see their flaws better than most goalie coaches? What else makes him so effective?

This also leads me to the question:  If Waite is that good - that he can take washed up goalies or no-names and turn them into reliable NHL players... should we not use this & trade Carey Price (to fill holes in our roster) and let Waite assemble 2  - 3 guys who can keep our nets safe without killing our cap? 

9 minutes ago, maas_art said:

As Neimi has yet another strong outing I wonder how much of our goaltending success needs to be directed to Stephane Waite.  

Im not suggesting for one minute that Carey Price isnt a generational goaltending talent - he is - but its interesting that Waite seems to get the most out of every tender that puts on our uniform.

We've made a number of moves since he got here (Signing a purportedly washed up Neimi, trading Desjardins for Tokarski, Claiming Mike Condon) that seemed odd at the time but ended up getting us a strong goalie.

So, how much credit does Waite deserve?  He clearly seems to be able to bring out the best in any tender - does he see their flaws better than most goalie coaches? What else makes him so effective?

This also leads me to the question:  If Waite is that good - that he can take washed up goalies or no-names and turn them into reliable NHL players... should we not use this & trade Carey Price (to fill holes in our roster) and let Waite assemble 2  - 3 guys who can keep our nets safe without killing our cap? 

I think this team needs to think about trading Carey regardless. We're not close where we are now, and we've gotten better goaltending from Lindgren/Niemi this year than from Price, and by a wide wide margin. Price is still valued based on reputation, and I don't doubt he can get back to being a .920-.925 goaltender. But I think Waite can do enough with other guys to not have to dish out 10.5M a year on your goalie.

27 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

Not against trading Price for the right return but if its another deal similar to the PK transaction,,,,, pass.

Sure, if we trade Price for Luongo or Lundqvist straight up, then it's a bad idea. But what are the odds we're going to swing Price one for one to bring back a goalie who is older and on a longer/worse contract than what Carey has now? You make the trade if dealing him brings you back a clear 1C (like a Barzal or Draisaitl) or a package of guys who have star potential or that address a variety of needs. No way I deal him 1v1 for another goalie, that's basically a salary dump at that point, which is not what that trade should be.

52 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

I think this team needs to think about trading Carey regardless. We're not close where we are now, and we've gotten better goaltending from Lindgren/Niemi this year than from Price, and by a wide wide margin. Price is still valued based on reputation, and I don't doubt he can get back to being a .920-.925 goaltender. But I think Waite can do enough with other guys to not have to dish out 10.5M a year on your goalie.

Pretty much this.  Carey's $ can be much better spent elsewhere, especially if Lindgren can add the physical and mental stamina required to play 50+ games at a solid, middle-of-the-league goaltending standard.

3 hours ago, maas_art said:

I was thinking the exact same thing. It`s either coincidence or Waite is a goal-tending coach genius. Didn`t quite pan out for Scrivens and Montoya though.

3 minutes ago, Habs=stanleycup said:

I was thinking the exact same thing. It`s either coincidence or Waite is a goal-tending coach genius. Didn`t quite pan out for Scrivens and Montoya though.

Scrivens was a desperation move.  With Price injured, MB felt like he needed to add someone and if there were just no available tenders that Waite felt confident in, I could see MB just getting anyone.  Maybe Waite felt like there was some potential there (Scrivens did look good for short stretches throughout his career) but SW is obviously not a miracle worker.

I actually thought Monty was pretty good for us. Last year he played close to 20 games, had over a .910 sv and i think like 2.5-2.6Gaa - not bad at all for a backup. This year he had a brutal stretch but only actually played like 4 or 5 games for us i think?

7 hours ago, maas_art said:

Good players become great through good coaching.