Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BigTed3

2018-19 Habs Lines

329 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Drouin is struggling, and he's the guy the team needs to get going. I think we also need to try to get Scherbak in for some offence and a shot on the PP. I wouldn't mind trying something like

Byron-Kotkaniemi-Gallagher

Drouin-Domi-Scherbak

Lehkonen-Danault-Shaw

Hudon-Tatar-Armia

Yeah id definitely think about swapping around a few players, namely Drouin (it feels like he's trying to do too much & therefore nothing is working) and Armia (who has been good but id really like to try Sherbak on one of the top 2 lines). 

Id also probably do my best to get Plekanec 2 games. Right now that is looming over everything we do. Theres' no way we trade or waive him when he's 2 games shy of 1000. But it also prevents us from making other moves. So, bite the bullet, throw him in the lineup for 2 games & then move on. 

2 hours ago, Habs_Hockey_Nutz said:

Interesting... I didn't know Tartar was a center

He was for a while but not for several years. I think he may have been drafted as a centre? He definitely played there for a bit before ending up on Datsyuk and Zetterberg's wings.

What the hell  why did the demote Kotkaniemi he played well last night now he is on the 3rd line. Not deserved if anything Drouin should be demoted.

Edited by campabee82

heres what im seeing.

armia is a good plugger but is getting way too much time with skill guys and on the pp. thats enough.

danault is in a similar spot. he cant handle the looks he gets.

conversely, domi is really making a fan out of me and we have kids like lehkonen and scherbak that I want to see put in a position to succeed

drouin domi gallagher. lets go

tatar kotka lehkonen

byron danault armia

scherbak peca shaw

and lets get armia and shaw off the pp please ,we are doing great so far ditching conventional wisdom from 10 years ago. we dont need a gritty guy in front of the net , we need guys who can execute difficult plays at a high speed.

59 minutes ago, jeff33 said:

heres what im seeing.

armia is a good plugger but is getting way too much time with skill guys and on the pp. thats enough.

danault is in a similar spot. he cant handle the looks he gets.

conversely, domi is really making a fan out of me and we have kids like lehkonen and scherbak that I want to see put in a position to succeed

drouin domi gallagher. lets go

tatar kotka lehkonen

byron danault armia

scherbak peca shaw

and lets get armia and shaw off the pp please ,we are doing great so far ditching conventional wisdom from 10 years ago. we dont need a gritty guy in front of the net , we need guys who can execute difficult plays at a high speed.

Pretty much agree.   There's no one on our roster that I dislike; we argubly have 12 - 15 quality NHL forwards, but there's a big difference between Domi and Gallagher vs Peca and Deslauriers.  

We currently have spread out the talent over 4 lines but we dont have talent like Crosby or Malkin that allow you to play a plugger consistently  in the top 9.    JFK, Drouin, Domi, Gally, Lehkonen and Tatar are our top 6 players & should be in the top 6, night after night.  That still leaves us with Danault, Byron, Hudon, Shaw, Armia, Scherbak, Peca, DLR and DLo in our bottom 6.   its not like you're going to have crap lines - there's still solid potential with  Byron - Danault - Shaw  and  Hudon - Peca - Armia  or similar.   

14 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Pretty much agree.   There's no one on our roster that I dislike; we argubly have 12 - 15 quality NHL forwards, but there's a big difference between Domi and Gallagher vs Peca and Deslauriers.  

We currently have spread out the talent over 4 lines but we dont have talent like Crosby or Malkin that allow you to play a plugger consistently  in the top 9.    JFK, Drouin, Domi, Gally, Lehkonen and Tatar are our top 6 players & should be in the top 6, night after night.  That still leaves us with Danault, Byron, Hudon, Shaw, Armia, Scherbak, Peca, DLR and DLo in our bottom 6.   its not like you're going to have crap lines - there's still solid potential with  Byron - Danault - Shaw  and  Hudon - Peca - Armia  or similar.   

exactly ,and to further that point I think as much as its cool that we can run 4 balanced lines, I think we need to put our best guys together to get the most offence we can get.

like you said, our bottom 6 wouldnt be crap, we have decent players to mix and match who could still play a good skating pressure game.

the original plan was to use domi and drouin as a tandem, id like to see it. 

Drouin-Domi-XXX

Tatar-Kotkaniemi-XXX

Don't care who plays RW on those lines, don't care how they make up the rest of the lines.

1 hour ago, Noob616 said:

Drouin-Domi-XXX

Tatar-Kotkaniemi-XXX

Don't care who plays RW on those lines, don't care how they make up the rest of the lines.

I don't think we can take Gallagher out of the top 6, and I'd like to see what Scherbak can do next to Domi, so if you're doing that, that's how I'd fill out those lines.

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

I don't think we can take Gallagher out of the top 6, and I'd like to see what Scherbak can do next to Domi, so if you're doing that, that's how I'd fill out those lines.

IMHO If anyone should be bumped out of the lineup, it should be Drouin. His effort to date leaves something to be desired... I'd like to insert Sherbak into his spot in the top six to see what he can do with better players and send a message to Drouin to get with the program.

I think like others that Domi and Drouin should play together cause they had chemistry in the pre-season. Line up should look something like:

Drouin-Domi-Gallagher 

Tatar-Kotkaniemi-Scherbak 

Byron-Danault-Lehkonen 

Hudon-Plekanec-Shaw 

Scratches

Peca, Armia, Alzner

At least for one game then pull Plekanec and insert Peca back in on that line.

24 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

I think like others that Domi and Drouin should play together cause they had chemistry in the pre-season. Line up should look something like:

Drouin-Domi-Gallagher 

For half a game? lol. 

Drouin and Kot  had great chemistry in preseason.  Im not saying they shouldnt try something - anything - to get Drouin going but i dont think that 10 mins or so of ice time in preseason should be the reason to do it. 

7 minutes ago, maas_art said:

For half a game? lol. 

Drouin and Kot  had great chemistry in preseason.  Im not saying they shouldnt try something - anything - to get Drouin going but i dont think that 10 mins or so of ice time in preseason should be the reason to do it. 

Correct they only played about 10 minutes together during one preseason game but they did also practice together quite a bit. Which I know is not the same as a game situation but chemistry builds from all aspects of the game practices included. So why not at least start them together then switch it up if needs be.

Im pretty impressed with some of the lines but i think we could afford to shuffle a few players at this point.  Because I know Julien wont try anything radical like say,  Tatar-JK-Gallagher, Id try:

Drouin - Domi - Hudon / Scherbak      Lehk has been great there but i think the DDs would be ok with a different RW & we could then spread the wealth

Tatar - Danault - Gallagher       This line is most likely not getting touched.

Byron - JK - Lehkonen        Armia has been really good. I like him & glad he's on our roster but he just does not have the offensive vision to keep up with the other 2.

Armia - Peca - Shaw / Scherbak     A 4th line that can actually keep up & play more than 7 minutes a game.

On defense:

Mete - Petry

Reilly - Juulsen

Benn - Oulette

once Weber is back though im not sure what we do. Juulsen has earned a place in the top 4. We have a wealth of RHD.

I suspect we'll see:

Reilly - Weber

Mete - Petry

Ouellet - Juulsen 

8 hours ago, maas_art said:

once Weber is back though im not sure what we do. Juulsen has earned a place in the top 4. We have a wealth of RHD.

I suspect we'll see:

Reilly - Weber

Mete - Petry

Ouellet - Juulsen 

Once Weber is back, we're loaded down the right side, which I think is fine. I think it is great to be able to throw our a solid player on every shift and to not have to overload Weber with excess ice time. For me, the way I'd line them up is

Mete-Weber

Reilly-Juulsen

Ouellet-Petry

Why? Mete loves to pinch and he's really good at it, but when the forwards don't cover him, there can be 2-on-1's created against us, and Petry simply hasn't impressed me playing against those odd-man rushes. I'd also like for him to be a bit more free to roam himself. So I'd view Mete and Weber as a better complement to each other: Weber covers up for Mete's roaming and Mete's skating ability and puck-moving skill covers for Weber's relative weakness in those areas. Reilly-Juulsen has been really good and I like the idea of keeping them together, and Ouellet is a more responsible partner to allow Petry to move up ice the way Weber fits in with Mete. At the end of the day, the most important thing is seeing these 6 guys in ahead of Benn/Alzner/Schlemko, but this is my ideal set of duos.

16 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Once Weber is back, we're loaded down the right side, which I think is fine. I think it is great to be able to throw our a solid player on every shift and to not have to overload Weber with excess ice time. For me, the way I'd line them up is

Mete-Weber

Reilly-Juulsen

Ouellet-Petry

Why? Mete loves to pinch and he's really good at it, but when the forwards don't cover him, there can be 2-on-1's created against us, and Petry simply hasn't impressed me playing against those odd-man rushes. I'd also like for him to be a bit more free to roam himself. So I'd view Mete and Weber as a better complement to each other: Weber covers up for Mete's roaming and Mete's skating ability and puck-moving skill covers for Weber's relative weakness in those areas. Reilly-Juulsen has been really good and I like the idea of keeping them together, and Ouellet is a more responsible partner to allow Petry to move up ice the way Weber fits in with Mete. At the end of the day, the most important thing is seeing these 6 guys in ahead of Benn/Alzner/Schlemko, but this is my ideal set of duos.

I agree those 6 should be our first choice. I would probably swap Reilly and Mete though. I think Reilly has been our best deeman since the start of the season, and would really like to see how he paired with Weber. Mete and Juulsen played well together in the pre season. Either way though that should be your top 6. Some of the parts may be interchangeable. 

32 minutes ago, caperns61 said:

I agree those 6 should be our first choice. I would probably swap Reilly and Mete though. I think Reilly has been our best deeman since the start of the season, and would really like to see how he paired with Weber. Mete and Juulsen played well together in the pre season. Either way though that should be your top 6. Some of the parts may be interchangeable. 

Won't happen it makes too much sense and MB can't allow for a logical decision to be made by our coaches. So Ouellett will be out and Alzner in beside Petry as second pairing that's why he has been plying beside Petry in Mete's absence.

Edited by campabee82

Also Ouellett will come down with a miricale injury with an unknown return date so he can go on IR instead of waivers 

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

Mete-Weber

Reilly-Juulsen

Ouellet-Petry

1 hour ago, caperns61 said:

Yeah, my thinking was like Caperns - that Reilly has been really really good so Id like to see him next to Weber - but like BT, I do like the idea of keeping Juulsen-Reilly together.    And I agree with the bolded part the most of all.  

So... when Weber returns, should we maybe NOT put him on the PP? The PP currently sits 18th in the league. It has been clicking along quite well in the past few games, IMO. Plenty of time to see how it unfolds before his return, but my initial impression is that maybe he stays healthier if we reduce his minutes. Petry, Reilly, and the forwards can probably manage the PP without him, I think.

4 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

So... when Weber returns, should we maybe NOT put him on the PP? The PP currently sits 18th in the league. It has been clicking along quite well in the past few games, IMO. Plenty of time to see how it unfolds before his return, but my initial impression is that maybe he stays healthier if we reduce his minutes. Petry, Reilly, and the forwards can probably manage the PP without him, I think.

Given the puck movement we've had I think Weber on the power play might be good actually ... may create the space for him to unleash that canon

2 hours ago, HabsAlways said:

Given the puck movement we've had I think Weber on the power play might be good actually ... may create the space for him to unleash that canon

I also agree it's hard to not want his shot on the PP. Like Chucky his shot is missed on the PP also. I also think it actually opens up more room down low because teams usually overplay him because of his shot. I could see possibly starting out on the second unit maybe until he's 100% up to game speed. I don't think limiting time on the PP has anything to due with injury. Over his career he's been pretty injury free. Groin injuries and back injuries always seem like the ones that come back the most over time.  

3 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I think when you have a player like weber you have to use him on the pp.   I think the biggest difference this year is that we're starting to get back to a quarterback system. Last year we just had 4 guys and weber. The other 4 guys were irrelevant because all they did was get the puck to weber.  Now though, since we've been playing without him, maybe we can integrate im into the mix but have him as ONE weapon, not the only weapon. 

2 minutes ago, maas_art said:

I think when you have a player like weber you have to use him on the pp.   I think the biggest difference this year is that we're starting to get back to a quarterback system. Last year we just had 4 guys and weber. The other 4 guys were irrelevant because all they did was get the puck to weber.  Now though, since we've been playing without him, maybe we can integrate im into the mix but have him as ONE weapon, not the only weapon. 

I agree with Weber being on the first p.o. if you want to limit his minutes until he is 100% keep him off the ok cause those are much harder minutes. But I am pretty confident that when he gets back he will be 100% and ready to go. So the PP should look some thing like this

PP1

Tatar-Domi-Gallagher

Drouin-Weber

PP2

Byron-Kotkaniemi-Lehkonen

Mete-Petry 

IMO the issue with Weber on the PP is that he's not a great passer but he has that outstanding shot. If we had two big shots from the point, then the situation changes. Being the only threat from back there makes it easy for other teams to key on,, knowing that Weber's passing skills aren't above average. He'll take that shot rather then try to make a play at the net, and other teams know it.

Don't know what the solution is but wouldn't a guy like Markov look great manning the other point? He has a decent shot and great passing skills. Right now our best option is Reilly on the other point if we're not staying with Drouin and with Weber's foot speed i'm not sure Drouin is the best option on the other side when teams block that big shot

7 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

IMO the issue with Weber on the PP is that he's not a great passer but he has that outstanding shot. If we had two big shots from the point, then the situation changes. Being the only threat from back there makes it easy for other teams to key on,, knowing that Weber's passing skills aren't above average. He'll take that shot rather then try to make a play at the net, and other teams know it.

Don't know what the solution is but wouldn't a guy like Markov look great manning the other point? He has a decent shot and great passing skills. Right now our best option is Reilly on the other point if we're not staying with Drouin and with Weber's foot speed i'm not sure Drouin is the best option on the other side when teams block that big shot

Theoretically  you could play Petry-Weber on the PP too.  I dont think there's a big concern having both RHD on at once when you have the man advantage.  

I agree with your point.  Weber should really only get the puck when he is in a position to one-time it. 

1 minute ago, maas_art said:

Theoretically  you could play Petry-Weber on the PP too.  I dont think there's a big concern having both RHD on at once when you have the man advantage.  

I agree with your point.  Weber should really only get the puck when he is in a position to one-time it. 

Yeah,,,Petry likely makes the most sense in our situation. I fear we'll fall back to the "give it to Weber" mentality that has failed us. Drouin hasn't looked terrible back there because he's able to make those passing plays. My concern would be his advancing to the net trying to draw an opposing player and then go to the old way of doing things and feed it back to Weber on his own. If he's blocked he certainly doesn't have the foot speed to  get back and cover. I can see a lot of  short handed shots.