Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BigTed3

2018-19 Habs Lines

329 posts in this topic

I think that's why I'm posing the question about Weber. Is he multidimensional enough to be of use on fluid powerplay? If he only has the shot... does that outweigh his mobility and passing skills on a powerplay that, seemingly, might be better with someone like Petry on it instead?

9 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I think that's why I'm posing the question about Weber. Is he multidimensional enough to be of use on fluid powerplay? If he only has the shot... does that outweigh his mobility and passing skills on a powerplay that, seemingly, might be better with someone like Petry on it instead?

In a normal case Id say no, but with his shot, I think yes.  Sheldon Souray was similar for a while (although far less sound positionally).   Weber's shot isnt just an "in the net" thing either.  His shot has led to many many rebound powerplay goals. Its powerful and accurate enough to put stun the goalie in many cases & then a guy near the net will pop in an easy rebound. 

Id definitely work him into the unit if i was in charge.   I agree that he needs someone very fluid and creative on the other point though. 

I'd like to see (assuming Armia hurt but Byron back):

Drouin-Domi-Scherbak

Tatar-Kotkaniemi-Gallagher

Lehkonen-Danault-Shaw

Byron-Peca-Hudon

9 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

I'd like to see (assuming Armia hurt but Byron back):

Drouin-Domi-Scherbak

Tatar-Kotkaniemi-Gallagher

Lehkonen-Danault-Shaw

Byron-Peca-Hudon

I wouldn't mind that at all. Hudon hasn't really done anything on the top line and giving Kotkaniemi two responsible wingers may work well. The third line looks fine and the fourth is still much better than any other variation that includes Deslauriers. Too bad Scherbak seems to be pretty much a non-factor in the AHL so far, putting up some points would have been good for his confidence before returning to the big league.

I wonder if Drouin might get a demotion from the Domi line if his poor play continues.

Assuming Armia and Plekanec out with an injury. Also assuming Byron back in.

Jonathan Drouin - Max Domi - Artturi Lehkonen

Tomas Tatar - Phillip Danault - Brendan Gallagher

Paul Byron - Jesperi Kotkaniemi - Andrew Shaw

Nicolas Deslauriers - Matthew Peca - Charles Hudon

Interesting that when asked about playing Petry next to Weber, Julien said "to my knowledge neither one of them can play the left" which kind of nixed that idea... that means when healthy, we can likely expect to see Weber-Petry-Juulsen down the right side of the ice. It thus means that the other guys (Schlemko, Mete, Reilly, Kulak, Benn, Ouellet) are jockeying for 3 spots. IMO, Mete and Reilly should have two of them and the last one should be a toss-up between Ouellet and Kulak.

Kulak is looking okay although seemed a little panicked at times last game. I think Ouellett is inconsistent and easiest to let go. I would still go with Benn and have Schlemko as a number 7 once Juulsen is back. Weber may be a little quicker and more mobile if they had to clean out the knee. It sounds like he may have been playing (and playing pretty good) on a bad leg for quite a while.

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

Interesting that when asked about playing Petry next to Weber, Julien said "to my knowledge neither one of them can play the left" which kind of nixed that idea... that means when healthy, we can likely expect to see Weber-Petry-Juulsen down the right side of the ice. It thus means that the other guys (Schlemko, Mete, Reilly, Kulak, Benn, Ouellet) are jockeying for 3 spots. IMO, Mete and Reilly should have two of them and the last one should be a toss-up between Ouellet and Kulak.

That is weird seeing as how Petry has played at least a handful of shits at LD this year.   ALthough maybe that means CJ thought so little of his play there that he said to his knowledge petry cant play there :D

52 minutes ago, Habberwacky said:

Kulak is looking okay although seemed a little panicked at times last game. I think Ouellett is inconsistent and easiest to let go. I would still go with Benn and have Schlemko as a number 7 once Juulsen is back. Weber may be a little quicker and more mobile if they had to clean out the knee. It sounds like he may have been playing (and playing pretty good) on a bad leg for quite a while.

None of them are ideal, but IMO Benn has been below average and Schlemko has been poor in a decent enough sample size. Kulak has been good in the AHL, and I'm willing to give him more of a chance. AS for Ouellet, he started the year fine, maybe even well, as a 3rd pairing D man. His problem was that he started trying to do too much. I think there's a better chance he can be coached back into his comfort zone and I think given his skating and puck movement are better than Benn's or Schlemko's, I'd rather move forward with Ouellet and Kulak than Benn/Schlemko.

10 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

None of them are ideal, but IMO Benn has been below average and Schlemko has been poor in a decent enough sample size. Kulak has been good in the AHL, and I'm willing to give him more of a chance. AS for Ouellet, he started the year fine, maybe even well, as a 3rd pairing D man. His problem was that he started trying to do too much. I think there's a better chance he can be coached back into his comfort zone and I think given his skating and puck movement are better than Benn's or Schlemko's, I'd rather move forward with Ouellet and Kulak than Benn/Schlemko.

I agree about Ouellet... however, now that MB had to bite the bullet on Alzner, I doubt either Benn or Schlemko will be scratched just yet. It may be a different story should Juulsen be ready to play. I'm still wondering about Reilly too.

Today's practice,,,,

Drouin - Domi - Shaw
Tatar - Danault - Gallagher
Byron - Kotkaniemi - Lehkonen
Agostino - Chaput - Deslauriers
Hudon - Peca - Scherbak

Kulak - Weber
Schlemko - Petry
Reilly - Benn
Ouellet - Mete

Looks like Kulak is getting the next audition. Reilly back in and Mete out

Note the highlight

25 roster players if Byron and Scherbak are healthy. Two more moves to make.

11 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

Today's practice,,,,

Drouin - Domi - Shaw
Tatar - Danault - Gallagher
Byron - Kotkaniemi - Lehkonen
Agostino - Chaput - Deslauriers
Hudon - Peca - Scherbak

Kulak - Weber
Schlemko - Petry
Reilly - Benn
Ouellet - Mete

Looks like Kulak is getting the next audition. Reilly back in and Mete out

Note the highlight

25 roster players if Byron and Scherbak are healthy. Two more moves to make.

Some thoughts:

- Yay Byron!
- Kulak - hrm.  He looked pretty good next to Petry from what I saw last game but much like Benn, he's great if you use him lower down the lineup. I dont see him being a legit top pair option. 
- Why oh why Claude is Schlemko still in the top 4?
- Reilly in - good.  Mete out - why?   Yes a goal deflected off of him but c'mon. He's young. Its not going to help him to not play.
- Schlemko and Benn should be the guys looking in.

My worry is that with Byron back, Mete  (no waivers)  may get sent down. Alternately Kulak (temporarily no waivers) might but if they are trying him higher up the lineup that may not happen. Chaput is still within the 10 game limit but Agostino has now played 10 so he'd have to go through waivers again if we send him down.  I worry we may drop Oulette or send down Mete when teh right move would be to trade or waive Schlemko or even Benn. 

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

Some thoughts:

- Yay Byron!
- Kulak - hrm.  He looked pretty good next to Petry from what I saw last game but much like Benn, he's great if you use him lower down the lineup. I dont see him being a legit top pair option. 
- Why oh why Claude is Schlemko still in the top 4?
- Reilly in - good.  Mete out - why?   Yes a goal deflected off of him but c'mon. He's young. Its not going to help him to not play.
- Schlemko and Benn should be the guys looking in.

My worry is that with Byron back, Mete  (no waivers)  may get sent down. Alternately Kulak (temporarily no waivers) might but if they are trying him higher up the lineup that may not happen. Chaput is still within the 10 game limit but Agostino has now played 10 so he'd have to go through waivers again if we send him down.  I worry we may drop Oulette or send down Mete when teh right move would be to trade or waive Schlemko or even Benn. 

Candidates to go back are Chaput and Mete as you mention and Kulak is still in that window. I would also guess we wouldn't be devastated to see Agostino or Peca waived and possibly lost,,, and from the looks of it Oulette seems to be on the list and maybe even Scherbak. As much as we would like to see Schlemko or Benn moved, it's doubtful one or both get traded seeing as CJ has this apparent manlove for both

25 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

Candidates to go back are Chaput and Mete as you mention and Kulak is still in that window. I would also guess we wouldn't be devastated to see Agostino or Peca waived and possibly lost,,, and from the looks of it Oulette seems to be on the list and maybe even Scherbak. As much as we would like to see Schlemko or Benn moved, it's doubtful one or both get traded seeing as CJ has this apparent manlove for both

And just like that,  Mete sent down.  

Dont love it since i think he's one of our 6 best, but on the flipside, he will get playing time in Laval and he should be learning from some good coaches.  Gone are the days when i was worried whenever a kid was sent down to that group. 

Mete and Benn looked lost in that Carolina game. Mete needs to go down and regain his confidence. 

16 minutes ago, maas_art said:

And just like that,  Mete sent down.  

Dont love it since i think he's one of our 6 best, but on the flipside, he will get playing time in Laval and he should be learning from some good coaches.  Gone are the days when i was worried whenever a kid was sent down to that group. 

Hope they don't pair him with Alzner ( you know they will) so that he can rebuild his confidence and get back up here in the very near future 

Lets be brutally honest with ourselves ... Mete has mid/bottom pairing potential and has looked completely lost all season long.    Playing top minutes in Laval under Bouchard might get him back to being a top4 LD hopefully.    But right now he was almost as bad as Benn/Schlemko.

2 minutes ago, HabsAlways said:

Lets be brutally honest with ourselves ... Mete has mid/bottom pairing potential and has looked completely lost all season long.    Playing top minutes in Laval under Bouchard might get him back to being a top4 LD hopefully.    But right now he was almost as bad as Benn/Schlemko.

Not going to disagree but that's sometimes the price you pay for playing your youth. He's certainly showing signs of that sophmore jinx. Hopefully the stint down helps him regain that potential we all saw from him last year, and he earns his way back relatively quickly. I still see him in our top 6 above guys like Benn or Schlemko. They've played some pretty brutal games and what you see from them is what you get. Not much hope for improvement.

36 minutes ago, HabsAlways said:

Mete is heads and tails better than Schlmenko, he is a much better skater, stick handler, defensively and offensively.  This teams management is making less and less sense to me.  It's like watching a Simpsons episode

1 minute ago, 26NCounting said:

Mete is heads and tails better than Schlmenko, he is a much better skater, stick handler, defensively and offensively.  This teams management is making less and less sense to me.  It's like watching a Simpsons episode

Given the last 5 games ... Mete has been equally as horrible as Schlemko .. and with people coming off injuries Habs have to make room.   Mete and Juulsen are the only two D that ware waiver protected.    Better to let Mete sort his game out in Laval than have him play the way he has been.   And if the rumours are true Habs are looking for a D, which implies to me Benn/Schlemko aren't going to be around for long.

1 hour ago, tony5775 said:

Mete and Benn looked lost in that Carolina game. Mete needs to go down and regain his confidence. 

I really like Mete but I agree this season he hasn't been quite the same. He still has good offensive instincts but his defense has been lacking. Last year he did say he learned a lot when playing along side of Weber. He may have needed that balance anyway at this point I don't think it would hurt him.

44 minutes ago, HabsAlways said:

Given the last 5 games ... Mete has been equally as horrible as Schlemko .. and with people coming off injuries Habs have to make room.   Mete and Juulsen are the only two D that ware waiver protected.    Better to let Mete sort his game out in Laval than have him play the way he has been.   And if the rumours are true Habs are looking for a D, which implies to me Benn/Schlemko aren't going to be around for long.

39 minutes ago, CaptWelly said:

I really like Mete but I agree this season he hasn't been quite the same. He still has good offensive instincts but his defense has been lacking. Last year he did say he learned a lot when playing along side of Weber. He may have needed that balance anyway at this point I don't think it would hurt him.

I agree Mete hasn't been playing well but that could just be a result of the pairings they have had with him let's not forget that at times CJ has elected to play weak D with stronger ones to try and balance the D with a young dman this can sometimes set his development back. Also I believe this is just a circumstance of 1 he is waiver exempt and 2 they are still trying to showcase Benn and Schlemko. I agree that the time down in Laval will serve Mete well too maybe get some of the bad plays he has been making out of his game. I think that by the new year we will no longer see Benn, Schlemko or Peca on the team also possible traded away could be Scherbak, Hudon, Deslauriers, Ouellet and if Florida has any say at all Lindgren. Making our line something like

Tatar-Danault-Gallagher 

Drouin-Domi-Shaw 

Byron-Kotkaniemi-Lehkonen

Agostino-Chaput-Hudon

Armia, Deslauriers/Scherbak

???-Weber

Reilly-Petry 

Mete-Juulsen 

Kulak

Price

Niemi

With Byron back, I'd like to see