Tatar-Danault-Gallagher
Byron-Kotkaniemi-Lehkonen
Agostino-Chaput-Deslauriers
Hudon-Peca-Scherbak

Kulak-Weber
Schlemko-Petry
Reilly-Benn
Ouellet-Mete"

He's a little off seeing as how Mete has been sent down.

1 hour ago, H_T_L said:

He's a little off seeing as how Mete has been sent down.

I think he was sent down after practice though... 

37 minutes ago, maas_art said:

I think he was sent down after practice though... 

These are actually the practice lines posted on the Habs website from today. No Mete

Drouin - Domi - Shaw
Tatar - Danault - Gallagher
Byron - Kotkaniemi - Lehkonen
Agostino - Chaput - Deslauriers
Hudon - Peca - Scherbak

Kulak - Weber
Schlemko - Petry
Reilly - Benn
Ouellet 

Price
Niemi

16 hours ago, H_T_L said:

These are actually the practice lines posted on the Habs website from today. No Mete

Drouin - Domi - Shaw
Tatar - Danault - Gallagher
Byron - Kotkaniemi - Lehkonen
Hudon - Peca - Scherbak

Kulak - Weber
Schlemko - Petry
Reilly - Benn
Ouellet 

Price
Niemi

I would have liked the defense to look like this...

Reilly- Weber
Kulak - Petry
Ouellet - Benn
 Schlemko

Drouin - Domi - Shaw
Tatar - Kotkaniemi - Gallagher
Byron - Danault - Lehkonen

Hudon, Peca,

Armia (Injured reserve?)  One player needs to be sent down or traded when Armia returns... but who?

Kulak - Weber
Schlemko - Petry
Reilly - Juulsen

Benn

Price
Niemi

Unlike some, I really like Armia in a top-9 role... but with the current winning combinations can't decide where I'd put him... any suggestions?

Tough choice on who to send down but in my mind it would be Chaput. Our goals against appears headed in the right direction and letting  Ouellet go was the right move hopefully he clears today.

2 hours ago, Habs_Hockey_Nutz said:

Armia (Injured reserve?)  One player needs to be sent down or traded when Armia returns... but who?

1 hour ago, Habberwacky said:

Tough choice on who to send down but in my mind it would be Chaput. Our goals against appears headed in the right direction and letting  Ouellet go was the right move hopefully he clears today.

Chaput has been the best of the 4th liners. His arrival really turned that line around. IMO, Deslauriers is very clearly the player who should be waived. And after that, I'd have Agostino (less effective than Chaput and also a winger) and Peca ahead of Chaput for demotion.

i don't really see how Armia displaces any winger in the top 9 other than Shaw, and Shaw has been on fire since being moved to the top line; he's done much better there than Armia did. So IMO, a line of Hudon-Chaput-Armia would be the best possible 4th line we could put out, and Deslauriers goes bye-bye.

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

Chaput has been the best of the 4th liners. His arrival really turned that line around. IMO, Deslauriers is very clearly the player who should be waived. And after that, I'd have Agostino (less effective than Chaput and also a winger) and Peca ahead of Chaput for demotion.

i don't really see how Armia displaces any winger in the top 9 other than Shaw, and Shaw has been on fire since being moved to the top line; he's done much better there than Armia did. So IMO, a line of Hudon-Chaput-Armia would be the best possible 4th line we could put out, and Deslauriers goes bye-bye.

I like that combination but I am not convinced that CJ feels Deslauriers would clear waivers so I don't think they move him out

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

Agree with all of this but I dont think MB/CJ will expose DLo to waivers, even though he's absolutely the correct choice.  

And agree with you about the top 9.  Armia is a great piece of our forward group but if we're leaving the lines the way they are, Armia would go on my 4th line.  hudon - chaput - armia is a line you could actually use in all situations and give some decent minutes to also. 

CJ appears to favour a line that can bang and create turnovers especially on the road and Dlo , Chaput and Agostino look a little better every game. In getting someone to the AHL it is the man who is least likely to get picked up. Peca, Hudon, Agostino and Dlo are all players who may get grabbed off of waivers in my mind. I guess it's a good problem to have as the value of  our players has increased.    I agree that Armia may be the odd man out and get stuck on the 4th line but he will get some minutes on the pk with Byron so he still has good value. I like the fact Shaw, Drouin and Domi can all play centre (some better than others) and take draws as it provides some extra depth and I noticed that depending on where the faceoff was CJ had Shaw or Domi switching off at centre. Gives CJ some options.

26 minutes ago, Habberwacky said:

CJ appears to favour a line that can bang and create turnovers especially on the road and Dlo , Chaput and Agostino look a little better every game. In getting someone to the AHL it is the man who is least likely to get picked up. Peca, Hudon, Agostino and Dlo are all players who may get grabbed off of waivers in my mind. I guess it's a good problem to have as the value of  our players has increased.    I agree that Armia may be the odd man out and get stuck on the 4th line but he will get some minutes on the pk with Byron so he still has good value. I like the fact Shaw, Drouin and Domi can all play centre (some better than others) and take draws as it provides some extra depth and I noticed that depending on where the faceoff was CJ had Shaw or Domi switching off at centre. Gives CJ some options.

The numbers for all our 4th liners are pretty small this year, so hard to say much, but if you look at last year, Hudon was 6th on the team in hits and 6th in takeaways. He's an excellent forechecker and he goes into the dirty areas despite his size. And needless to say, he's far more skilled than the guys we have on the 4th line right now. I know the coaches don't like him and he had to fight to get into the line-up, but all the numbers suggest he's a better player and that he is a useful guy at "banging" and "creating turnovers."

7 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

The numbers for all our 4th liners are pretty small this year, so hard to say much, but if you look at last year, Hudon was 6th on the team in hits and 6th in takeaways. He's an excellent forechecker and he goes into the dirty areas despite his size. And needless to say, he's far more skilled than the guys we have on the 4th line right now. I know the coaches don't like him and he had to fight to get into the line-up, but all the numbers suggest he's a better player and that he is a useful guy at "banging" and "creating turnovers."

It appears Hudon is definitely trying to do more  and get noticed. I was truly surprised to see him leading the team in hits the other night. That would make me want to keep him over a Peca despite Peca being a centre.  This is the first year in quite a while that positions appear to be open for the taking if you can step into the role the coaches envision. We will definitely put a better product on the ice if the players are forced to stay hungry. Kotkoniemi's taking of the 3rd line centre position has put some other players in a more fragile position, but it has also made it more likely we could be forced to expose some players to the waiver wire. A good problem to have i guess.

Byron moved up to 1st line with Domi-Drouin. Shaw down to 3rd. Other lines stayed the same today.

Mete paired with Petry, Kulak remains with Webe, and Schemko, Benn, and Reilly alternating on the 3rd pairing...

I know CJ will never bench both Benn and Schlemko at the same time for whatever reason, so with that in mind i would go with,,,

Mete/Reilly - Weber

Mete/Reilly - Petry

Benn/Schlemko - Kulak/Juulsen

In no way do i play both Benn and Schlemko in the same game, and keep both as far away as possible from Weber and Petry.

24 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

I know CJ will never bench both Benn and Schlemko at the same time for whatever reason, so with that in mind i would go with,,,

Mete/Reilly - Weber

Mete/Reilly - Petry

Benn/Schlemko - Kulak/Juulsen

In no way do i play both Benn and Schlemko in the same game, and keep both as far away as possible from Weber and Petry.

Agreed.  Barring a trade, our best potential lineup on D is probably:

Reilly - Weber
Mete - Petry
Kulak - Juulsen
Benn

Will we ever see it?  Doubtful.

Our next game being Vancouver , they generally aren't a real physical team so I say we should insert Hudon into the slot left by Shaw. Shaw plays a physical game but has been bringing a lot of offense lately. So I know a lot are asking about Armia just coming back off of injury. I say we go with Hudon as I think he has a better chance of replacing the offense that Shaw was bring.  I will say I like this years line up as in the parts are pretty exchangeable between the lines. It makes it good the coach to get things going sometimes but mostly to be able roll 3 lines with all good potential. I also like how the 4th line has been working lately.

Drouin -Domi- (Hudon/Byron)

Tatar-Danualt-Gallager

(Hudon/Byron)-Kot- Lehk

Ago-Chaput-Des

Mete-Weber

Reilly-Petry

Kulak-Benn 

Practice lines today

Tatar - Peca* - Gallagher
Drouin - Domi - Byron
Lehkonen - Kotkaniemi - Armia
Agostino - Chaput - Deslauriers/Hudon

Mete - Weber
Reilly - Petry
Kulak - Benn
Alzner - Schlemko

Price
Niemi
McNiven

10 hours ago, H_T_L said:

Practice lines today

Tatar - Peca* - Gallagher
Drouin - Domi - Byron
Lehkonen - Kotkaniemi - Armia
Agostino - Chaput - Deslauriers/Hudon

Mete - Weber
Reilly - Petry
Kulak - Benn
Alzner - Schlemko

Price
Niemi
McNiven

Peca is subbing for Danault who took a therapy day so won't play most likely. Good to see Armia back with Lehk and Kotka. Hudon should get the nod on the 4th line but probably won't (hard to understand maybe... it is what it is). The Shaw injury hurts a bit since he had been contributing lately.

Getting to the point where the lines look like they might need a shake-up. Drouin and Domi haven't looked good since Andrew Shaw caught fire first playing with them. Danault had a nice run but it still feels like he should be the 3C and Kotkaniemi should be in the top 6. I think we need to make some swaps. So how about

Drouin-Domi-Gallagher

Tatar-Kotkaniemi-Hudon

Lehkonen-Danault-Byron

Peca-Chaput-Armia

Drouin has really become the hard guy to find a role for, so I left him with Domi, but since they need a shake-up, I paired them with the guy who is Mr. Effort. Kotkaniemi finally gets a winger who can shoot in Tatar and I think it's time we see what an offensive player like Hudon can do with a guy who's a good puck distributor. If Hudon fails here over the next 10 games, then he's likely done in Montreal, but let's find out what he can do with a real chance in an offensive role. Those who read my posts know I've always been a huge fan of Lehkonen-Danault-Shaw as our 3rd line, and with Shaw out, Byron slots in as the next best option here. The 4th line is the three best players left over, and maybe Armia can benefit from some easier match-ups.

52 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Getting to the point where the lines look like they might need a shake-up. Drouin and Domi haven't looked good since Andrew Shaw caught fire first playing with them. Danault had a nice run but it still feels like he should be the 3C and Kotkaniemi should be in the top 6. I think we need to make some swaps. So how about

Drouin-Domi-Gallagher

Tatar-Kotkaniemi-Hudon

Lehkonen-Danault-Byron

Peca-Chaput-Armia

Drouin has really become the hard guy to find a role for, so I left him with Domi, but since they need a shake-up, I paired them with the guy who is Mr. Effort. Kotkaniemi finally gets a winger who can shoot in Tatar and I think it's time we see what an offensive player like Hudon can do with a guy who's a good puck distributor. If Hudon fails here over the next 10 games, then he's likely done in Montreal, but let's find out what he can do with a real chance in an offensive role. Those who read my posts know I've always been a huge fan of Lehkonen-Danault-Shaw as our 3rd line, and with Shaw out, Byron slots in as the next best option here. The 4th line is the three best players left over, and maybe Armia can benefit from some easier match-ups.

I like your options.   I agree its probabbly time to try some new stuff - plus it never hurts to have players play with other guys because you can never predict an injury.    I wouldnt mind seeing JK and Drouin together like we saw in the preseason. I know they played a couple of games together to start the year but JK was doing a lot of learning now & his game feels a lot more composed half way through the year.  I woudl also really like to see Gallagher on Domi's wing (although Gallagher + Jk could be cool too). 

Id consider something like:

Tatar - Domi - Gallagher
Drouin - Kotkaniemi - Lehkonen
Byron - Danault - Armia
Peca - Chaput - Hudon/Shaw

25 minutes ago, maas_art said:

I like your options.   I agree its probabbly time to try some new stuff - plus it never hurts to have players play with other guys because you can never predict an injury.    I wouldnt mind seeing JK and Drouin together like we saw in the preseason. I know they played a couple of games together to start the year but JK was doing a lot of learning now & his game feels a lot more composed half way through the year.  I woudl also really like to see Gallagher on Domi's wing (although Gallagher + Jk could be cool too). 

Id consider something like:

Tatar - Domi - Gallagher
Drouin - Kotkaniemi - Lehkonen
Byron - Danault - Armia
Peca - Chaput - Hudon/Shaw

That was the top 6 I came in to suggest.  Although I like the idea of Gallagher playing with domi and drouin- hes the advanced version of shaw, and they had good success- I think tatar has been consistently very good with him all year and I would like to see that winger duo with our best center. 

The clincher is KK was with drouin all pre season and I liked how that looked as well.  Im definitely down to see both combinations over time though

2 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Drouin-Domi-Gallagher

Tatar-Kotkaniemi-Hudon

Lehkonen-Danault-Byron

Peca-Chaput-Armia

I really like this line up to try. We definitely need a shake up. I think Gallagher is the perfect answer to jump starting those other guys. I also think they make good combinations on the other lines. Mixing it up sometimes is needed.

1 hour ago, CaptWelly said:

Mixing it up sometimes is needed.

Well and our biggest strength is that we have a pretty quality group of 9 or 10 forwards.  We may be lacking a top end game breaking talent but we have good talent across all 3 lines.  It shouldnt hurt to mix it up a little. 

First off, are there any players that may be able to play center? I'm thinking Hudon for one and watching Agostino play and want to control the puck, I wonder if he could do it.

Frankly I wonder if Domi could be more effective coming of the wing

splitting up Drouin and Domi has to be tried... and IMHO the way to do it would be to have 4 lines that are rotated almost equally... with the exception of the power play and penalty kill of course. I'd try this...

Domi-Danault-Gallagher
Tatar-Kotkaniemi-Armia
Drouin-Hudon-Lehkonen
Byron-Chaput-Agostino

Deslaurier, Peca