The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2018-19 Habs Lines

BigTed3

have we ever, for even 1 lousy 30 second shift, seen domi, our best center , with the best wingers? domi drouin/tatar gallagher? maybe on a pp that we cant buy a goal on? a last minute of a game when we are down by 1.....e.g the one we just lost to NYI?

A big YUP to the last few posts!

Anyone remember a few years ago when MT had a line of AG centering BG and MP? They scored a bunch of points in their first 3 or 4 games together and tailed off, but still scored some, for a total or 7 or 8 games (I believe). They were then broken up .... OK, but why not re-unite them late in games when the team was losing by a goal or 2.

(Maybe that happened but I never saw it.)  

4 minutes ago, rocketbelifleur said:

A big YUP to the last few posts!

Anyone remember a few years ago when MT had a line of AG centering BG and MP? They scored a bunch of points in their first 3 or 4 games together and tailed off, but still scored some, for a total or 7 or 8 games (I believe). They were then broken up .... OK, but why not re-unite them late in games when the team was losing by a goal or 2.

(Maybe that happened but I never saw it.)  

nope your correct, never saw it again. 

this goes all the way back to koivu-higgins- ryder forever, no matter what.   

we always seem to be short on talent to begin with , and then for some reason never put the guys we do have together. 

5 hours ago, jeff33 said:

how many times has this been said on this forum in the last 10 years!?

carbonneau, therrien, julien, we just keep hiring coaches who fall in love with their plugs, then we make a bunch of minor trades and waiver pickups to make sure the plug pipeline is nice and deep, and then we sprinkle them throughout the lineup and go out there and battle for 8th.  the modern era montreal canadiens

And now it's probably too late to trade Weber for what could have possibly been upgrades throughout the lineup. I don't think Bergevin has the guts to make a big deal. 

JOrdan Weal 19 minutes 46 points in 158 NHL games????? 

KK 3rd overall pick, only 18,  one of the reasons this teams is even in a playoff hunt, 32 points in 69 games gets just over 7 minutes of ice time. Healthy Scratch two games...

This reason alone Julien shoudl be fired.

Plus i would prefer a 4th line of Chaput Agostino and DLO, they at least played a fast pace in your face game, even though they could not score if their life depended on it...

20 hours ago, habs1952 said:

And now it's probably too late to trade Weber for what could have possibly been upgrades throughout the lineup. I don't think Bergevin has the guts to make a big deal. 

Hmmm is that not how he got Webber? or Drouin to a lesser degree? not sure i want this guy making to many ''big trades''!

3 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

Hmmm is that not how he got Webber? or Drouin to a lesser degree? not sure i want this guy making to many ''big trades''!

In hindsight I think that was a case of two teams dumping players they didn't want. Weber for age/salary and Subban for being Subban. 

Once again CJ shows us why he should not be in charge at this critical junction of the year. Looking at the Habs lines from this morning it is clear that he is struggling to fix our line combos, I don't know if the pressure of making the playoffs is getting to him or simply he doesn't understand we need to get back to the lines from earlier in the year when we were having more success.

Tatar - Danault - Gallagher
Lehkonen - Domi - Shaw
Drouin - Kotkaniemi - Armia
Byron - Thompson - Weal
Weise, Hudon, Peca, Deslauriers

Mete - Weber
Kulak - Petry
Benn - Folin
Reilly

Price
Niemi
Lindgren

I would do the following

Tatar-Kotkaniemi-Gallagher

Drouin-Domi-Shaw

Lehkonen-Danault-Hudon

Byron-Weal-Armia/Peca

Mete-Petry

Reilly-Weber

Kulak-Folin

Benn

Price

Lindgren

Niemi

it's time to reunite Domi and Drouin and give Kotkaniemi better wingers and a chance to prove his worth as a #1 Center. If we miss the playoffs with this lineup at least we can say we gave it our BEST shot with our BEST possible lineup.

1 hour ago, campabee82 said:

it's time to reunite Domi and Drouin and give Kotkaniemi better wingers and a chance to prove his worth as a #1 Center. If we miss the playoffs with this lineup at least we can say we gave it our BEST shot with our BEST possible lineup.

100% agree.  We need to go down fighting.  There's an article on HEOTP that hits the nail on the head:  Julien is overworking his workhorses while resting his thoroughbreds.  

If i had my way Id try these lines to end the season:

Drouin-Domi-Shaw 
Tatar-Kotkaniemi-Gallagher
Lehkonen-Danault-Weal
Byron-Peca-Armia

Mete-Petry
Reilly-Weber
Kulak-Benn/Folin

This team can still make the playoffs, but they're going to have to win pretty near all their remaining games.  The way they've played lately, that seems unlikely but there's still a (very small) glimmer of hope. 

They out shot Chicago 48-24. So we are not playing poorly. The Islander game should of went to OT if not for Domi, Kulak and Petry all making a poor play at the same time.  Julien just has a very bad habit of not recognizing who is playing well in any given game.  He is being out coached in many close games. New lines are definitely a must. Weal on the PP give me a break. Put all the vets on the PP and let them work it out.  

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at our potential roster for next year, I think the odds of Brook making the team will be low. Primeau will almost certainly be paired with McNiven in Laval as well, with Lindgren as the back-up here, barring a surprise showing by McNiven out of camp (as Lindgren would be waiver-eligible next year I believe and is thus the guy you don't want to have to send down). Romanov's status is unclear but despite the Habs reportedly trying hard to get him over here, it'd be a hard sell to make it happen. The two guys who likely have the highest odds of cracking the Habs roster out of camp would be Poehling and/or Suzuki. Unlike some who have Domi moving over to wing, I'm not sure that's in the cards for next season (barring another trade/signing that shakes things up).

Why? Well for one, Domi had a monster year and handled #1 center duties famously, putting up as good a point total from a center as we've had in many years and doing so while holding his own defensively too. Not sure it's a good idea to rock that boat when we've been searching for a #1 center for a while. Two, the only other guy on our roster who has a realistic shot to be a 1C is Kotkaniemi and I'm not sure he's ready next year. The team refused to use him as even a 2nd line center this season, not even for a stretch to see how he would do, so there's nothing to suggest they think he's ready to go from 3C to 1C in one off-season. And three, if the guy they're moving Domi over for is Poehling, then I'd be surprised if that move is made when Poehling is a rookie. I think the team will start Poehling (if he makes the team) as a winger in the top 9  or as the 4C and then gradually move him up when Kotkaniemi is ready to be the 1C... when that happens Domi moves to wing, JK moves from 2C to 1C and Poehling moves from wing/4C to 2C. But not to start next year. What's far more important next year is not moving Domi off the dot, but rather moving JK up into the top 6 and Danault down to 3C, where each guy belongs.

So I think we're going to look more at lining up something like

Drouin-Domi-Gallagher

Tatar-Kotkaniemi-Suzuki

Lehkonen-Danault-Shaw

Byron-Poehling-Armia

If Suzuki and Poehling can both prove they should start here, it becomes clear that there's no roster space for the likes of Hudon or Deslauriers or Weise. In this scenario, Peca, Weal, Thompson, and Evans are likely guys fighting it out for the 13th/14th forward spots. It's also clear that there's room here to move a forward like Drouin if a trade exists to bring in a LHD.

On D, it's much more of a disaster. If they don't bring back Benn (and IMO they shouldn't), then we're starting off close to where we left off, with the possible exceptions of Juulsen being back and maybe Fleury ready to compete for a spot too. But like Brook, those are all guys who play the right side of the ice, which means there isn't much help coming on the left side. Right now, the left side still features Mete, Reilly, Kulak, Folin, Ouellet, etc. So maybe you can get by with one of Petry/Weber on your first pairing, followed by Juulsen on the 2nd and Fleury or Brook on the 3rd as your right side. But while Mete is a passable 2nd-pairing lefty and Reilly or Kulak can be the 3rd pairing guy, you're still stuck on the top pairing. So MB absolutely needs to find a trade to fill that hole. It could be Drouin who goes, it could be Weber, it could be Petry, or frankly it could be a package that contains a player like Tatar or Danault or Suzuki... but something's got to give. The two LHD in the draft with maybe an outside shot of starting in the NHL are Byram and Broberg, but Byram almost certainly goes in the top 5-7 picks and Broberg is probably a top 10-12 choice. So 15th overall isn't going to get that done either, unless we're trading to move up or get extremely lucky and win the lottery. MB can claim being a GM is hard, but he's also going into year 8 of figuring out how to make this work. He's got some trade chips he can work with but it's a non-starter for him not to find a better solution for his 1 LHD.

With Poeling now on his way to join the habs what does everyone think the odds are that CJ sits KK for the rest of the year? I hate to say it but I feel like CJ has been looking for any excuse to take the kid out of the lineup now he has one. I would hope we line up 

Tatar-Domi-Gallagher 

Lehkonen-Kotkaniemi-Shaw

Drouin-Danault-Weal

Byron-Poeling-Armia 

Mete-Weber 

Kulak-Petry 

Reilly-Benn

Price 

Lindgren

For the rest of the year but I don't see that happening with CJ in charge.

8 hours ago, Regis22 said:

He's trying to win games and make the playoffs , no way I see him putting a kid just out of US university hockey in the line up -

Agreed. This coach loves his veterans when the season is on the line.

I think Kotkaniemi has struggled a little of late (and on the road in general), so it's understandable that CJ scratched him against a physically strong team like the Jets. Even though JK has exceeded expectations by far this season, he didn't play well against Columbus and chances are he'd be physically outmatched against an even bigger team like Winnipeg. Hopefully he's back in against Tampa though.

44 minutes ago, ChiLla said:

I think Kotkaniemi has struggled a little of late (and on the road in general), so it's understandable that CJ scratched him against a physically strong team like the Jets. Even though JK has exceeded expectations by far this season, he didn't play well against Columbus and chances are he'd be physically outmatched against an even bigger team like Winnipeg. Hopefully he's back in against Tampa though.

At this point, would he be a better option than either Deslaurier or Peca?

31 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Any chance we see Poehling in the lineup before the end of the regular season?

I think its unlikely unless we are eliminated before the final game. If thats the case then maybe he gets a taste of the NHL. 

I do like K and am glad of how good a season he has had. I will say though that Weal has looked really good when given that opportunity to be a center. He has speed and drive, he seems more confident at this time and definitely puts in the effort. I do like what I've seen of K but he wasn't projected to be a great offensive center more of a two way guy with offensive potential. At this time other than flashes I haven't seen where he merits (yet) that #1 spot that everyone wants to give him right away. He is just a kid so as he fills out it will be interesting to see where he ends up. I hope he moves up to #2 spot next year with Domi still #1 and Poeling starting out #3 with Suzuki as a winger , which I think will suit him better. It's going to be fun to watch !

• H_T_L locked this topic