The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

ROUND #3 playoff discussion

H_T_L

11 minutes ago, HabsRuleForever said:

He’s not good enough to be a Hab.

for a team needing Centre's they could use him, but I guess he didn't have enough grit , character or the proper attitude

http://torontosun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/traikos-capitals-lars-eller-finally-finding-his-niche

Traded from the team that drafted him 13th overall in 2007 and misused for years in Montreal — where Eller admitted he “bounced around, a lot” — the Danish forward has finally found a home in D.C., where his role keeps expanding

With Nicklas Backstrom nursing a hand injury, Eller was bumped up to the second line where he logged 20 minutes and 35 seconds — the most of any forward from either team — in the Caps’ 4-2 win in Game 1 of the Eastern Conference final. Eller scored the third goal of the game when Alex Ovechkin fanned on a shot on the power play that ended up his stick. It was his fourth goal and eighth point of the playoffs

“I think I definitely found my identity as a player that maybe when I was in Montreal I lost that at times,” said Eller. “And now I’m playing more minutes while Nicky is out. But I play the same way, even if I’m on the first line, second line, third line. You go out there with the same mindset. The mindset doesn’t change. I played that same game, but I think I’m a player who’s a good two-way player. I can play power play, short-handed, in all kinds of situations.

“I kind of lost that identity (in Montreal) with what kind of game I needed to play to be successful. I bounced around a lot. I mean a lot. I’ve had a lot more stability here.”

It was in Montreal where Eller spent five years with middling success. Part of it was misplaced expectations. As a top draft pick, it was easy to look at Eller with top-line potential. But, like the Canadiens’ frustration with Alex Galchenyuk, the offence never came. He didn’t know who he was, because coaches and management couldn’t decided what player they wanted him to be.

It wasn’t until he arrived in Washington, where the demands on him were more precise and to the point, as well as more realistic. Playing behind Backstrom and Evgeny Kuznetsov, he was finally slotted into an appropriate role.

“I always thought I had good abilities, but it’s about learning how to use your abilities to the best,” said Eller, who seemed to take a stab at his former team in praising the winning environment in Washington.

8 hours ago, Regis22 said:

for a team needing Centre's they could use him, but I guess he didn't have enough grit , character or the proper attitude

http://torontosun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/traikos-capitals-lars-eller-finally-finding-his-niche

Traded from the team that drafted him 13th overall in 2007 and misused for years in Montreal — where Eller admitted he “bounced around, a lot” — the Danish forward has finally found a home in D.C., where his role keeps expanding

With Nicklas Backstrom nursing a hand injury, Eller was bumped up to the second line where he logged 20 minutes and 35 seconds — the most of any forward from either team — in the Caps’ 4-2 win in Game 1 of the Eastern Conference final. Eller scored the third goal of the game when Alex Ovechkin fanned on a shot on the power play that ended up his stick. It was his fourth goal and eighth point of the playoffs

“I think I definitely found my identity as a player that maybe when I was in Montreal I lost that at times,” said Eller. “And now I’m playing more minutes while Nicky is out. But I play the same way, even if I’m on the first line, second line, third line. You go out there with the same mindset. The mindset doesn’t change. I played that same game, but I think I’m a player who’s a good two-way player. I can play power play, short-handed, in all kinds of situations.

“I kind of lost that identity (in Montreal) with what kind of game I needed to play to be successful. I bounced around a lot. I mean a lot. I’ve had a lot more stability here.”

It was in Montreal where Eller spent five years with middling success. Part of it was misplaced expectations. As a top draft pick, it was easy to look at Eller with top-line potential. But, like the Canadiens’ frustration with Alex Galchenyuk, the offence never came. He didn’t know who he was, because coaches and management couldn’t decided what player they wanted him to be.

It wasn’t until he arrived in Washington, where the demands on him were more precise and to the point, as well as more realistic. Playing behind Backstrom and Evgeny Kuznetsov, he was finally slotted into an appropriate role.

“I always thought I had good abilities, but it’s about learning how to use your abilities to the best,” said Eller, who seemed to take a stab at his former team in praising the winning environment in Washington.

I still remember the success the Gachenyuk-Eller-Gallagher line had before Therrien broke that up... could/should have been the Habs top Line IMO.

Tampa's play has been so disappointing in the ECF. :( They're just not playing their best hockey right now.  The clinical finishing is not there.  Too much passing and take too long to shoot.  The usually deadly Johnson-Kucherov-Palat triplets suck.  Stamkos has been underwhelming.  Chris Kunitz has been a ghost.  JT Miller gone missing. Too dependent on rookie Brayden Point alone.  The top 3 D Hedman, Stralman and McDonaugh leave too many holes and scoring space.  I knew it was a mistake to trade Bishop instead of Vasilevsky!  

Tampa was supposed to be the GOLD STANDARD in the East!  :6351:

12 hours ago, Disillusioned1 said:

So that guy who scored the game winner, anybody know him?  Looks pretty good.  Lars somebody.  Can we trade for him or something?

Why did the Habs trade Eller in the first place? I thought he was pretty good when he was a Hab. I guess he had to leave to come into his own.

Just now, Larry-Launstein-Jr said:

Why did the Habs trade Eller in the first place? I thought he was pretty good when he was a Hab. I guess he had to leave to come into his own.

Somebody did a great job with him in Washington.

• H_T_L locked this topic