The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

ROUND #3 playoff discussion

H_T_L

41 minutes ago, Larry-Launstein-Jr said:

Why did the Habs trade Eller in the first place? I thought he was pretty good when he was a Hab. I guess he had to leave to come into his own.

He was Therrible. :P

As for why? I can only assume its because Therrien didnt like him.  Marc Bergevin himself seemed to like Lars. Unlike PK, who all the management seemed to hate, MB did stick up for Lars some times.  

2 hours ago, Larry-Launstein-Jr said:

Why did the Habs trade Eller in the first place? I thought he was pretty good when he was a Hab. I guess he had to leave to come into his own.

He was. Bergevin even stated he's the kind of player you need for the playoffs. The Habs got rid of him because Bergevin screwed up the team so bad that if you don't make the playoffs you don't need guys like Eller.

I thought I'd share the FO% of some of the young centres still left i the playoffs:

Name          Season ------ Career ------ Current Playoffs ------

Kutznetsov      44.2             45.1              39.15

Scheifele        51.25            44.9              46.9

Marchessault  43.49            44.3              36.84

Point               47.44            46.6              49.5

Eller                49.27            49.2              45.83 (okay so he's not really young anymore)

Karlsson          48.03            46.3              44.33

Gourde            43.41            41.4              58.33 (wow)

Going back a round

Marner            52.63             48.5              40

MacKinnon      41.92             46.8              37.65

Dubois             43.82             43.82            40.71

Guentzel             50               49.7               44.44

There are of course exceptions (Johansen, Nylander, Johnson, Stephenson, Jenner, Hertl) but it seems in general younger centres don't do well in the circle, but that doesn't seem to affect them playing the position.  Yet in Montreal we're explicitly told you can't centre unless you win the draw.

11 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

He was. Bergevin even stated he's the kind of player you need for the playoffs. The Habs got rid of him because Bergevin screwed up the team so bad that if you don't make the playoffs you don't need guys like Eller.

Wasn't it a series of moves that sent Eller out and brought Shaw in? Not that we swapped Eller for Shaw, but that's what it felt like. And we all know how Bergevin feels about gritty guys like Shaw. I guess he thought Eller was too soft or something.

1 hour ago, Disillusioned1 said:

it seems in general younger centres don't do well in the circle, but that doesn't seem to affect them playing the position.  Yet in Montreal we're explicitly told you can't centre unless you win the draw.

Yup.  Malkin is a career 40.2%    Id still like to have him as my #1 centre though. 

^^ Good post about the face-off percentages. There's a lot of evidence that suggests faceoff percentages have very little effect on goals and scoring chances and so on. There are tons of draws that are "won" by one player but which are contested, with the puck going into a battle along the boards. And there are tons of face-off wins that end up with the team winning the draw simply dumping the puck out and giving up possession. So in the big picture of things, it takes a lot more than winning the draw; you also need to be able to do something with the puck once you have it.

That said, some interesting data going around right now suggesting Montreal was far and away the worst team in the league last year in terms of allowing shots against following a defensive zone face-off loss. But this would suggest not that we need to find players to win more draws but that we're terrible at defending off the draw. That comes down to finding better players across the board and to better coaching. Hopefully with Lacroix and Daigneault gone, we can find guys who can improve upon set plays.

Different looking game, even without the goals. Knights were probably a bit sluggish in the first game, after 5(?) days off.

To complicate things for the Jets is the fact that they had no extra time off between series, which may catch up to them later in this series.

And, shame on the NHL for not giving the Jets an extra day or two off between series - a team that makes it to the Cup semi-finals deserves more respect!

15 minutes ago, rocketbelifleur said:

Different looking game, even without the goals. Knights were probably a bit sluggish in the first game, after 5(?) days off.

To complicate things for the Jets is the fact that they had no extra time off between series, which may catch up to them later in this series.

And, shame on the NHL for not giving the Jets an extra day or two off between series - a team that makes it to the Cup semi-finals deserves more respect!

Would you feel sorry for Vegas if the positions were reversed? :P

Just now, kinot-2 said:

Would you feel sorry for Vegas if the positions were reversed? :P

Yeah, I hate the NHL/owners more than any team/players - fair is fair. 

Was that too serious?   :6416: 

9 hours ago, rocketbelifleur said:

Nature of the beast. Teams that finish their opponents early are rewarded with the rest while the other series play out. 

Why should a team that took 7 games be rewarded with rest? Their reward is that they get to keep playing.

Sure, an argument could be made regarding the fact that 2 top teams go toe-to-tie in the 2nd round but that’s a different argument altogether. 

The NHL has a lot to be ashamed of. Preventing the Stanley cup Playoffs from going deep into July by giving every team a few days rest between each series is not one of them. 

• H_T_L locked this topic