Jump to content
The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Canadiens re-sign Antti Niemi


Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, maas_art said:

So on the surface this most likely means Lindgren to the minors to play big minutes... but what if this means we have a deal in the works (or are at least considering) trading Carey Price... 

That was my thought.  They better trade Price now (for good return), or Lindgren will never get to play.  But given past history, I'm not keeping my hopes up.  All in all, I don't understand this contract, cheap or not.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Disillusioned1 said:

That was my thought.  They better trade Price now (for good return), or Lindgren will never get to play.  But given past history, I'm not keeping my hopes up.  All in all, I don't understand this contract, cheap or not.

I think there's a couple of ways of looking at it.   If we are trading price then it makes perfect sense to have AN and CL  as our tandem just in case CL cant handle starters duties.

If we're not trading price then it comes down to whether you think CL can learn more as the starter in Laval vs. the backup in montreal.   I think with the new coaches down in Laval maybe it will help his development but i also think that at 24 years old he's probably earned his shot with the big club. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, maas_art said:

So on the surface this most likely means Lindgren to the minors to play big minutes... but what if this means we have a deal in the works (or are at least considering) trading Carey Price... 

I thought Price had a no movement clause put into his expiring contract?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think just...chill everyone. Signing a 35 year old backup goalie to a 1 year deal doesn't mean a Price or Lindgren trade is imminent. Lindgren's looked good in limited NHL time but he didn't exactly dominate the AHL last year and it's reasonable to think he's better off starting in Laval than backing up Price. If Niemi struggles they can send him down and his 950k will be off the cap and they can just call up Lindgren.  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, habs1952 said:

I thought Price had a no movement clause put into his expiring contract?

He does but a large portion of the time NMC are blown out of proportion.  Sure, sometimes guys (phaneuf) will veto a trade but more often than not if a team approaches a player he will waive it.   I mean basically the team is saying to the player "we dont want you any more."    

If you're a role player on a winning roster maybe you veto it because you dont want to go to a bad team but if you're a star in need of a change and the team that is supposed to have your back wants to trade you, chances are you dont want to stick around. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

This might be more of a Zacahary Fucale is out type of move than anything larger. Niemi did well for us last season. A 1-year deal is fine. Fucale I expect to be let go. McNiven and Lindgren platoon in Laval.

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if Fucale is done with the Habs. His contract is up now and it's pretty clear the Habs don't see him as anything more than organizational depth, he didn't get a sniff of ice time last year even with the goaltending injuries and they went out and got Niemi (who at the time was on his 4th team in 6 months and had just been waived twice) instead of giving Fucale a game. Odds are he's either backing up Lindgren or McNiven in Laval or playing in Brampton.

You've got to wonder how long he's willing to do that for $70k if he can get the same or better money to play in Germany or Switzerland or something. I'd much rather be travelling between Munich and Berlin than Brampton and a bunch of decaying rust belt cities in the ECHL.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

This might be more of a Zacahary Fucale is out type of move than anything larger. Niemi did well for us last season. A 1-year deal is fine. Fucale I expect to be let go. McNiven and Lindgren platoon in Laval.

For sure.  I could see him as part of a throw-in in a trade too. Wont have a lot of value but sometimes that type of player (past pedigree) will tip the scale on a multi-player transaction. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I look at the Penguins, a team that has won with good goaltending but not great. When they won, they did so with a team built strong enough to support Murray and obviously it's worked. I would rather trade Price for some assets and fill a few holes and go with a guy like Lindgren or whoever. With Price here for the duration of his contract we will not win a cup. Seems to me, the way Price played is that he needed more help from the D then Niemi did and that comes down to their style of play. Just my opinion. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

- I think Niemi has the back-up job to lose. Lindgren struggled down the stretch despite a great start in his stint in Montreal. I think Lindgren will have the chance to steal the job, but he'll really have to impress a la Mike Condon in camp to make that happen.

- I don't think Niemi was re-signed with the intent of trading Price. In fact, I think most potential trades involving Price will require us to take a goalie back to manage salary/position overload.

- Fucale is done. He won't get a crack at the AHL any way you cut it. Lindgren is #1 there, then McNiven, and Primeau is waiting in the wings behind them.

- Niemi is making 950k next year. He's still 34 as of June 30th (which is when the 35+ rule on burying contracts kicks in for the coming season), and you're allowed to bury up to 1.025M of cap per player this season for players under 35. So even if Niemi is awful, the Habs can demote him to the AHL, not play him, and have it count nothing against the team's cap.

Bottom line... I think Niemi is, as he was last year, an insurance policy and another option. Status quo.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Niemi revived his career with his goaltending coach from his prime in Chicago and Price could use a veteran NHL goaltender to talk to if he struggles. The job is Lindgren's  when Niemi leaves. We are clearly looking for stability in goal and this may turn out to be a very nice signing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, habby67 said:

With Price here for the duration of his contract we will not win a cup. Seems to me, the way Price played is that he needed more help from the D then Niemi did and that comes down to their style of play. Just my opinion. 

I agree that the way the NHL is right now, you are much better off building around PMD and playmaking centres (interestingly, 2 things we severely lack) than a goaltender.  Unfortunately with LV making it to the cup final in large part on Fleury's back, I think it will make MB double down on 'building around his goaltender.'

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Noob616 said:

I think just...chill everyone. Signing a 35 year old backup goalie to a 1 year deal doesn't mean a Price or Lindgren trade is imminent. Lindgren's looked good in limited NHL time but he didn't exactly dominate the AHL last year and it's reasonable to think he's better off starting in Laval than backing up Price. If Niemi struggles they can send him down and his 950k will be off the cap and they can just call up Lindgren.  

 

Actually, I don't mind them giving Bouchard and company at least this year to work with Lindgren.  Daniel Jacob, Assistant with Bouchard the past 4 years was hired in Laval.  Maybe they're looking to replicate BB's success.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The only real way to tell if Price can win a Cup is if you build a team around him. With the lineup we have right now the guy in charge is in a dream land if he thinks Price can be the guy to win a championship for them. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

With the addition of goaltender Étienne Marcoux to the Laval Rocket, can we now safely assume Fucale is finished?

One would think so.  I dont even think he'd have much of an impact as a trade throw in.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, jennifer_rocket said:

None, really. I suspect he just won't be qualified. Free agent. Signs in a different league.

Yeah thats my thinking. Unless Habs brass thinks there's a teenie tiny market to use him as a throw in, but i dont think its really worth the effort at this point.


Too bad, looked really promising for a while. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...