The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Plekanec will be re-signed or not?

From TSN article:

Going Back?

Tomas Plekanec spent the 14 seasons with the Montreal Canadiens before being traded to the Toronto Maple Leafs in February and the 35-year-old pending unrestricted free agent said Thursday he's hoping to return to the Habs.

“We discussed that possibility [returning to Montreal] when I got traded in February and that’s where it’s at," Plekanec told TSN Radio Montreal 690. "And as I said before, I’d love to come back to Montreal. That’s my priority and Marc [Bergevin] said they’d like to have me back.”

Plekanec scored six goals and posted 24 points in 60 games with the Canadiens last season before being moved for a second-round pick and two prospects. He had just two assists in 17 regular season games upon joining the Maple Leafs, struggling to adjust to his fourth-line role. He moved up the lineup in the team's first-round series against the Boston Bruins and finished with two goals and four points in seven playoff games.

Plekanec first joined the Canadiens as a third round draft pick in 2001 and said Thursday he'd like to finish his career with the team.

"I’d like to play one more year back home, in my hometown,” he said.

Discuss

Honestly I'd love to have Plekanec back, he's long been one of my favourite Habs.  With that said, my endorsement is contingent on two things:

1) He's brought back as a third- or fourth- line centre.  Yeah he could probably still do spot duty on one of the top lines if someone gets hurt, but going into the season with him high in the depth chart just means that Bergevin failed to find an actual solution to our problems.

2) He's paid as such.  I'd love to have him back, but we need to pay him like a 3rd liner.

36 minutes ago, Manatee-X said:

Honestly I'd love to have Plekanec back, he's long been one of my favourite Habs.  With that said, my endorsement is contingent on two things:

1) He's brought back as a third- or fourth- line centre.  Yeah he could probably still do spot duty on one of the top lines if someone gets hurt, but going into the season with him high in the depth chart just means that Bergevin failed to find an actual solution to our problems.

2) He's paid as such.  I'd love to have him back, but we need to pay him like a 3rd liner.

Exactly how i feel.  

I dont get too sentimental about players but Pleks is a special case for me.  I wouldnt mind him back but it would HAVE to be as a #4 centre.  I wouldnt even want him as our #3 because I believe Danault fits that bill well. 

In other words I do not want:

Stastny - Plekanec - Danault - DLR

but id be fine with

Tavares - Statsny - Danault -  Plekanec

I know the big knock on this plan is that it will take away playing time from young players but honestly, on the 4th line is that a huge issue?   I cant see how putting two young wingers with Pleks on the 4th line would be worse than using Froese or DLR there.  

1 year deal. $1.5-2m  4th line centre.  Done. 

will he be ? yes.

this team needs a rebuild and needs to turn the page on its history. I dont want plek back.not as a 4th liner, not for 5 bucks.

if any of you follow the jays its like us bringing back bautista for that one last year.  why, to watch him do nothing? not to mention our beloved coach will almost certainly overuse him, because I am sure our beloved manager is yet again going to be unable to address our center problems.

NO

1 hour ago, jeff33 said:

will he be ? yes.

this team needs a rebuild and needs to turn the page on its history. I dont want plek back.not as a 4th liner, not for 5 bucks.

if any of you follow the jays its like us bringing back bautista for that one last year.  why, to watch him do nothing? not to mention our beloved coach will almost certainly overuse him, because I am sure our beloved manager is yet again going to be unable to address our center problems.

NO

Agreed.

I'd rather use Danault as our 3C and DLR as our 4C. I don't see a need or role for Plekanec on this team, and re-signing him means we're holding back another player who can help us in the longer run. Are we a true Cup contender next year, in need of a shutdown veteran center for our 4th line? No. Can Plekanec be a top 6 center? No. End of story for me. Unless we sign Tavares, sign Carlson, dump Alzner/Schlemko, and have Zadina/Svechnikov be NHL-ready so that we can challenge for a Cup, I see no reason to take back Plekanec. The team needs to stop recycling players and coaches.

Yes he will

No he shouldn't  See above Comment ( What's best for the team comes before sentimental favorites. Plekanec produces nothing.  )

I cant belive there isn't some younger player that can skate around with one stick on his hand

• 4 weeks later...

He will and it won't be disastrous. He'll sign  a 1 year 1 million two-way contract. He'll play at least 19 games for the Canadiens then he'll  either travel with the team through the  playoffs or we miss again and he's traded to a contender for a chance at the Cup. Then he'll either resign elsewhere or retire with 1000 games played as a hab.

2 minutes ago, RyderRocks73 said:

He will and it won't be disastrous. He'll sign  a 1 year 1 million two-way contract. He'll play at least 19 games for the Canadiens then he'll  either travel with the team through the  playoffs or we miss again and he's traded to a contender for a chance at the Cup. Then he'll either resign elsewhere or retire with 1000 games played as a hab.

by travel with the team,  did you forget to include "playing 17 minutes a night"?

4 minutes ago, RyderRocks73 said:

I also agree he'll probably re-sign and i dont think it will be awful.  I do think it will be a 1 way contract though, no way he signs a deal that allows us to pay him less in the AHL.I think it will be a bit more than you think too - maybe $1.5-2m.  

As long as he's played on the 4th line ONLY - no 1st - 3rd line (barring injury) and no PP time, i dont see a big problem. Its not like we are going to be taking time away from top 6 players. I dont really think it matters this point if DLR or Froese lose out on some ice time. 

I say  not. Term would probably be one and he'd likely want 2 at at least 4 mil. Bergy shoulld not give him more than Domi or any thing more than one year. I see him playing in the KHL or somewhere else. He is at best a third line center who could play some extra d-zone faceoffs but would have his ice time lowered to where paying him any more than that would probably not be worth it. I hope I am wrong and he signs for 3 mil or less.

1 hour ago, RyderRocks73 said:

............ or we miss again and he's traded to a contender for a chance at the Cup.

No " or " about they will miss again and IMO he should not be resigned . this team has enough 4 liners

He will be, Drouin, Danault, DLR are the only NHL centers on the roster right now and even if they sign Stastny or Tavares or something I think they still sign him as a bottom 6 center. 

I don't think Kotkaniemi changes things, it would be nice to have him play next year but he's still not even 18 so I doubt he makes the team out of camp.

Plekanec is fine as a 3rd/4th line center. The problem I have is that playing him takes ice time and development away from someone else, like a DLR, McCarron, Gregoire, Audette, Evans, or so on. I think it's time to move on. We spend too much time re-hashing coaches and players. No progress.

21 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Plekanec is fine as a 3rd/4th line center. The problem I have is that playing him takes ice time and development away from someone else, like a DLR, McCarron, Gregoire, Audette, Evans, or so on. I think it's time to move on. We spend too much time re-hashing coaches and players. No progress.

On 6/23/2018 at 1:43 AM, Windoe said:

Resign him, and then trade him at the deadline again to a Cup contender for an asset.

He had excellent trade value last season as a rental, he should still have decent trade value again next year.

Both posts have merit. That said, I believe DLR will make the team and so his further development will not be an issue whereas Plekanec could still fill the 4th line role more than just adequately. McCarron  doesn't factor in at the NHL level IMHO. Nor do Gregoire, Audette or Evans other than as call-ups for injury replacement... and therefore, playing more minutes in the AHL would be okay for me.

But, I would only sign him if the Habs cannot acquire a legit top-six center via trade. It would be nice to see him reach the milestone no doubt. I wonder if a player-coach scenario would work.

• 2 weeks later...