Jump to content
The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Galchenyuk traded for Domi


BigTed3
 Share

Recommended Posts

20 hours ago, Disillusioned1 said:

First of all, +/- speaks volumns does it?  I don't know who it was that mentioned it here, if that's the case the Alzner's a better player than Petry.

Second, Galchenyuk was a 56 point scorer, playing roughly 15 mintues a game, when he only played centre for part of it and had decent linemates, once gain, only for the part of it, without playing on the PP.  So technically no that's not 60 points, but it's better than 40 points.  In addition, to quote myself above.  If you consider Galchenyuk a 30 goal scorer, then he's in a pretty exclusive group that's less than 3.5% of the league.  Even if he's a 20 goal scorer, that's at minimum, top 8% of the league.  And on our team, we scored 209 goals last year as a team.  Some we just traded away roughly 10% of our goal production (on a year he shot terribly too) and one of the few semi-reliable options on our dreadful powerplay, so we're definitely not fine.

Lastly but certainly not the least, I don't have a crystal ball.  We don't deal in hypotheticals.  But since we're assuming things about the future, we can just as well assume that Galchenyuk somehow miraculously develop strong defensive skills in his prime, or more realistically, become a 75 to 80 point scorer.  That's no more or less accurate than predicting Domi will be a 60 point scorer.  Why would I give away the essential bird in hand of a basically 60 point scorer for a hypothetical 60 point scorer?

Okay, how about a different approach. Assuming Galchenyuk is a 60 point player (30/30). What sort of production do we need out of Domi to see the trade in a positive light? Does it have to be 30/30? Would 20/40 suffice? With Domi being known to play a more complete game, do the point totals need to level out? Or is some level of drop off reasonable if he positively contributes in other areas like defense and on the penalty kill? If he has a 50 point season (15/35), is that acceptable? Because I don't think 15/35 totals are so far fetched. If he could produce like that, would that ease some of negativity regarding this trade?

I get it, player for player I can see how an argument could be made that Domi straight up for Galchenyuk is a raw deal, and under other circumstances I might have expected a little more coming back as well (I always want a little something extra coming back). But there was a lot more to this trade than that. Galchenyuk might have a ton of talent, but it has been wasted here. A lot of that falls on MB and his crew, but some of it falls on AG as well. And blame game aside, it just seemed obvious to me that we would be parting ways. Maybe if MB didn't spend the whole season talking publicly about how poor his play is we could have gotten a little more. But all things considered, Max Domi is a darn good return IMO. I'm sorry if you don't see it that way. Who knows, maybe he will change you mind. :)     

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MALMACIAN_CRUNCH said:

Okay, how about a different approach. Assuming Galchenyuk is a 60 point player (30/30). What sort of production do we need out of Domi to see the trade in a positive light? Does it have to be 30/30? Would 20/40 suffice? With Domi being known to play a more complete game, do the point totals need to level out? Or is some level of drop off reasonable if he positively contributes in other areas like defense and on the penalty kill? If he has a 50 point season (15/35), is that acceptable? Because I don't think 15/35 totals are so far fetched. If he could produce like that, would that ease some of negativity regarding this trade?

I get it, player for player I can see how an argument could be made that Domi straight up for Galchenyuk is a raw deal, and under other circumstances I might have expected a little more coming back as well (I always want a little something extra coming back). But there was a lot more to this trade than that. Galchenyuk might have a ton of talent, but it has been wasted here. A lot of that falls on MB and his crew, but some of it falls on AG as well. And blame game aside, it just seemed obvious to me that we would be parting ways. Maybe if MB didn't spend the whole season talking publicly about how poor his play is we could have gotten a little more. But all things considered, Max Domi is a darn good return IMO. I'm sorry if you don't see it that way. Who knows, maybe he will change you mind. :)     

 

To feel like we won the trade, I'd need to see two things:

1. I'd want to see how AG does as a center in Arizona. If he has success in that role and becomes a 30G scorer or a true top 6 center, it's going to be hard for me to feel like we won the deal and it's going to make me feel like we screwed ourselves over with poor development. We've been in dire need of top 6 centers and in dire need of goals. If we gave that up and did so for a winger, it makes it hard to digest. Kind of the same reason Buffalo won't give us ROR straight up for Pacioretty.

2. On Domi's end, it comes down mainly to goals again. We have guys who can skate and pass the puck. We have very few guys who can score, and even if Domi puts up 50 points, it isn't enough to me if they're largely assists. Success in terms of production for Domi would IMO mean he's a 20-goal scorer regularly or else he's putting up 60 points. If he can do that, I'd be satisfied that we got a guy who's making a difference offensively. If we end up getting a guy who puts up 12-14 goals and 40-45 points, then I don't think it justifies trading a player with AG's offensive skill.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, MALMACIAN_CRUNCH said:

Okay, how about a different approach. Assuming Galchenyuk is a 60 point player (30/30). What sort of production do we need out of Domi to see the trade in a positive light? Does it have to be 30/30? Would 20/40 suffice? With Domi being known to play a more complete game, do the point totals need to level out? Or is some level of drop off reasonable if he positively contributes in other areas like defense and on the penalty kill? If he has a 50 point season (15/35), is that acceptable? Because I don't think 15/35 totals are so far fetched. If he could produce like that, would that ease some of negativity regarding this trade?

I get it, player for player I can see how an argument could be made that Domi straight up for Galchenyuk is a raw deal, and under other circumstances I might have expected a little more coming back as well (I always want a little something extra coming back). But there was a lot more to this trade than that. Galchenyuk might have a ton of talent, but it has been wasted here. A lot of that falls on MB and his crew, but some of it falls on AG as well. And blame game aside, it just seemed obvious to me that we would be parting ways. Maybe if MB didn't spend the whole season talking publicly about how poor his play is we could have gotten a little more. But all things considered, Max Domi is a darn good return IMO. I'm sorry if you don't see it that way. Who knows, maybe he will change you mind. :)     

 

First of all, I won't ever be happy with this trade.  The reason I've made clear with the Mercedes vs. Ford example.  At this point, Galchenyuk has more value than Domi.  Even if next year the Mercedes breaks down and the Ford keeps going, we don't know that right now.  Which means we should have gotten more for the Mercedes.  If was Domi + pick then maybe okay.  But standing right now, at the point of the trade, we lost.  If it was a one-off then I say yeah everybody screws up.  But the problem is, we kept losing this type of trades regardless of whatever playing style you fancy.  So no I'm not happy, even if Domi ends up being the better player, which I doubt.

The second point is this.  I've heard the line Galchenyuk needed a change of scenery and that the combination of Bergevin and him doesn't mix.  What I don't hear being talked about is how Domi isn't working out for Arizona either.  Galchenyuk at least you say never realized his potential or plateaued.  Domi and Duclair (apparently the other player we wanted) outright have their stats fall of a cliff from the first year (especially Duclair).  So you can't objectively say one has wasted talent while the other has not and we're literally trading our alleged problems for other people's alleged problems and lost the trade in the process.  Once again, Galchenyuk might flourish in Arizona too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Disillusioned1 said:

First of all, I won't ever be happy with this trade.  The reason I've made clear with the Mercedes vs. Ford example.  At this point, Galchenyuk has more value than Domi.  Even if next year the Mercedes breaks down and the Ford keeps going, we don't know that right now.  Which means we should have gotten more for the Mercedes.  If was Domi + pick then maybe okay.  But standing right now, at the point of the trade, we lost.  If it was a one-off then I say yeah everybody screws up.  But the problem is, we kept losing this type of trades regardless of whatever playing style you fancy.  So no I'm not happy, even if Domi ends up being the better player, which I doubt.

The second point is this.  I've heard the line Galchenyuk needed a change of scenery and that the combination of Bergevin and him doesn't mix.  What I don't hear being talked about is how Domi isn't working out for Arizona either.  Galchenyuk at least you say never realized his potential or plateaued.  Domi and Duclair (apparently the other player we wanted) outright have their stats fall of a cliff from the first year (especially Duclair).  So you can't objectively say one has wasted talent while the other has not and we're literally trading our alleged problems for other people's alleged problems and lost the trade in the process.  Once again, Galchenyuk might flourish in Arizona too.

I am not sure when Galcheynk became a Mecedez. If he was he would likely be putting up 30 plus goals and 40 plus assists then you can call him a mercedez.

He has been consistently on the wrong side of the score sheet for 6 NHL season. NOT 1. And we are not giving up a ton of goals 19 last season 17 the season before that. And they are his good qualities :4224: He had a grand total of 10 even strength goals, 27 assists ????????, last season  and we are worrying about losing his offensive production???? Max Domi had 8 even strength goals and  28  assists, WHAT ? And we talk about how much better AG, Why?  

What I dont get is we did not try to get a young centerman  or young left deeman,  even if you had to package Patches and Galchenyk.... or even top ten picks to accumulate them in the draft...

This is a trade between two GMS who hope the player they traded for can reach their full potential and one of 3 things will happen, they both will, they both will not, or one will and the other wont

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, caperns61 said:

I am not sure when Galcheynk became a Mecedez. If he was he would likely be putting up 30 plus goals and 40 plus assists then you can call him a mercedez.

He has been consistently on the wrong side of the score sheet for 6 NHL season. NOT 1. And we are not giving up a ton of goals 19 last season 17 the season before that. And they are his good qualities :4224: He had a grand total of 10 even strength goals, 27 assists ????????, last season  and we are worrying about losing his offensive production???? Max Domi had 8 even strength goals and  28  assists, WHAT ? And we talk about how much better AG, Why?  

What I dont get is we did not try to get a young centerman  or young left deeman,  even if you had to package Patches and Galchenyk.... or even top ten picks to accumulate them in the draft...

This is a trade between two GMS who hope the player they traded for can reach their full potential and one of 3 things will happen, they both will, they both will not, or one will and the other wont

 

Galchenyuk has been on the wrong side of the scoring sheet for 6 season has he?  Oh?  News to me.  I know how you like to quote +/- so let's start with that.  He was +14, -12, +8, -8, -5 and -31.  Now interesting thing there, his +/- is highly correlated with how the team did, shocking I know.  Just like the team, there's a bunch of really high minuses this year.  So saying he was consistently on the wrong side of the scoring sheet is an outright lie.  But if you want to talk about it then Domi hasn't been a plus since his first year.

Secondly, oh he even scored 10 even strength goals has he?  Well, Domi only scored 5 goals against a goalie.  What's your point?  So Domi's inability to scoring on the PP is now a negative for Galchenyuk?  Nice logic.  Steve Stamkos only scored 12 even strength goals last year.  Filip Forsberg, 13.  Patrik Laine, 24.  What losers.

Oh and lastly but certainly not the least, despite being the more offensively gifted player, Galchenyuk actually gets much more defensive zone starts than Domi, with plugs as linemates for most of the time he was here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, caperns61 said:

I am not sure when Galcheynk became a Mecedez.

Im actually more at odds with calling Domi a Ford. The implication is that Galchenyuk is 'top of the line' while Domi is merely average.

Both players have .61 ppg over their career.  Domi was one of the highest touted players in the league the year he came in, ranking 6th in calder voting behind the likes of Eichel, McDavid, Panarin etc.       He's had 1 injury shortened season and one bad (while his team imploded around him) season.   He is still a very good player.

Do I think Domi and Galchenyuk are of equal value right now? NO. Do i think we should have gotten more for Galcheynyk YES (although i certainly see how much MB and co damaged AG's value prior to trading him).

But to suggest that domi is some run of the mill utilitarian plugger is a bit silly.  He's played 3 seasons and 222 games compared with Galchenyuk's 6 and 418 games.  Lets give Max an opportunity to show what kind of player he is (hopefully with better linemates) before comparing them as thoroughbred vs pony.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not delving back into the whole +/- thing for now! Would agree that Domi is a decent hockey player with lots of potential, but you absolutely need to score more than 5 non empty-net goals a season to be a top 6 player. This team can't score. It needs goals. AG and MD may have near-equal PPG totals, but goals and assists are not equal, and it's still a concern to me as to who Domi's going to pass the puck to. Most elite puck distributors are centers, who have more options to begin with. We're asking Domi to play wing and set someone up without having a single top 6 center on the team, and the only true sniper left (unless he too gets traded) plays the same position as him and likely won't be on the ice at the same time. Like with the Drouin trade, the fit is puzzling.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Not delving back into the whole +/- thing for now! Would agree that Domi is a decent hockey player with lots of potential, but you absolutely need to score more than 5 non empty-net goals a season to be a top 6 player. This team can't score. It needs goals. AG and MD may have near-equal PPG totals, but goals and assists are not equal, and it's still a concern to me as to who Domi's going to pass the puck to. Most elite puck distributors are centers, who have more options to begin with. We're asking Domi to play wing and set someone up without having a single top 6 center on the team, and the only true sniper left (unless he too gets traded) plays the same position as him and likely won't be on the ice at the same time. Like with the Drouin trade, the fit is puzzling.

Not doubt!   The one interesting article over at EOTP (although the writer was NOT supportive of the trade or the thinking) suggests that Domi may mesh well with a guy like Drouin, thus turning JD into more of a goal scorer.  We shall see.  For not its a complete mystery (like most of Bergevin's moves) other than him just not liking a player. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

Not delving back into the whole +/- thing for now! Would agree that Domi is a decent hockey player with lots of potential, but you absolutely need to score more than 5 non empty-net goals a season to be a top 6 player. This team can't score. It needs goals. AG and MD may have near-equal PPG totals, but goals and assists are not equal, and it's still a concern to me as to who Domi's going to pass the puck to. Most elite puck distributors are centers, who have more options to begin with. We're asking Domi to play wing and set someone up without having a single top 6 center on the team, and the only true sniper left (unless he too gets traded) plays the same position as him and likely won't be on the ice at the same time. Like with the Drouin trade, the fit is puzzling.

How important were Markov and Subban for Patches ? They were not scoring for him, but they were creating for him which allowed him to score more goals. Just taking goals and telling me one player is better then another is ridiculous. Weber had 17 goals his first year with the Habs Subban had 10 with Nashville, I would still like to have Subban because he made all the other players around him better. Weber is scoring at a 22% clip, SUbban only at 17%  so for a  goal starved team by your own analysis we must be better off with Weber ???? 

Is this correct????

Listen I will not deny to anybody that I am not a Galchenyk fan nor am I a huge Domi fan but I will say this trade is alot closer then people think it is. If your only measurement is goals and you think digging the puck out of the corner, able to set players up in the offensive zone, head manning the puck to hit a guy on the fly, responsible in all 3 zones,  dont have as much value as someone who score 15 to 20 goals a season than there is nothing more then I can really say. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Disillusioned1 said:

Galchenyuk has been on the wrong side of the scoring sheet for 6 season has he?  Oh?  News to me.  I know how you like to quote +/- so let's start with that.  He was +14, -12, +8, -8, -5 and -31.  Now interesting thing there, his +/- is highly correlated with how the team did, shocking I know.  Just like the team, there's a bunch of really high minuses this year.  So saying he was consistently on the wrong side of the scoring sheet is an outright lie.  But if you want to talk about it then Domi hasn't been a plus since his first year.

I could not agree more, it does correlate to the team succes, so simply by your analysis, Galchenk plus minus should be much better then Domi, after all the habs were a much better team with the exception of last season. So lets go back 3 years when Domi started in the league. Galchenyk at even strengh -15, Domi at even strengh plus 4 among forwards. Now if we are using your correlation Domi should have been much much worse than Galchenyk, simply because Arizona was a - 75 over that period and Montreal was only a - 13.  I guess just pure luck that Domi ended up a + 4 and Galchenyk ended up a - 15. Maybe you meant there was no correlation?

Secondly, oh he even scored 10 even strength goals has he?  Well, Domi only scored 5 goals against a goalie.  What's your point?  So Domi's inability to scoring on the PP is now a negative for Galchenyuk?  Nice logic.  Steve Stamkos only scored 12 even strength goals last year.  Filip Forsberg, 13.  Patrik Laine, 24.  What losers.

I guess you got me on this one if the only measurement of a player is goals then you win. I guess you are happy that we traded Subban because he has only been scoing at a 17% rate while Weber is scoring at a 22% clip :)  Ohh Stamkos had 49 pts, Forsberg 39 points, Laine 35 points, Domi 31 points, Gakchenyk 25 points. I know only goals matter = silly me :)

Galchenyuk actually gets much more defensive zone starts than Domi, with plugs as linemates for most of the time he was here.

I am not sue where you get your stats. but if you go to corsica over the last 3 seasons, forwards with more the 1500 minutes there is not one player on Arizona or the Habs that have gotten more offensive zone starts ZSR Galchenyk is a wopping 70.18, should lead to more scoring :) Actually he was the only forward on the Habs or Arizona over 70 :)  over the last 3 seasons

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, caperns61 said:

Listen I will not deny to anybody that I am not a Galchenyk fan nor am I a huge Domi fan but I will say this trade is alot closer then people think it is.

If this deal happened summer 2016 it probably would have been seen as even - galchenyuk was in year 3 with 30g 26a in 82 games, domi was a rookie with 18g 34a in 81 games. 

a year later they were both injured - Domi: 9g 29a in 59g    Galchenyuk -  17g 27a in 61g   so again, probably pretty fair. 

last year though, AG managed 19g 32a in 82g bouncing around the lineup, while Domi had 9g 36a in 82 games with relatively stable linemates.   This is a tough one.

On the one hand, i can see GMs saying "but Domi has 3 years and then he's RFA, while AG can go UFA at the end of this contract"  and that is a consideration. Although if you hadnt made life hell for AG maybe you wouldnt have to worry about him leaving at that time.


Either way, i believe we were owed more.  Maybe not a lot more, but i would suggest fair market value should have been Galchenyuk for Domi + 2nd or Domi + prospect.


The bigger concern for me is why we moved a tradeable asset for another LW.  I do wonder if the plan is to play Domi at centre, or to at least try him there. He's a much more defensively responsible player than Galchenyk (or even Drouin) so maybe CJ thinks he would be fine down the middle.  Tough to say. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, caperns61 said:

How important were Markov and Subban for Patches ? They were not scoring for him, but they were creating for him which allowed him to score more goals. Just taking goals and telling me one player is better then another is ridiculous. Weber had 17 goals his first year with the Habs Subban had 10 with Nashville, I would still like to have Subban because he made all the other players around him better. Weber is scoring at a 22% clip, SUbban only at 17%  so for a  goal starved team by your own analysis we must be better off with Weber ???? 

Is this correct????

Listen I will not deny to anybody that I am not a Galchenyk fan nor am I a huge Domi fan but I will say this trade is alot closer then people think it is. If your only measurement is goals and you think digging the puck out of the corner, able to set players up in the offensive zone, head manning the puck to hit a guy on the fly, responsible in all 3 zones,  dont have as much value as someone who score 15 to 20 goals a season than there is nothing more then I can really say. 

 

Markov and Subban were absolutely important to Pacioretty. But Pacioretty still had to put the puck in the net. By no means am I saying Domi isn't valuable or that a team doesn't need good set-up men. I'm saying this particular Habs team has a complete lack of consistent goal-scorers/snipers. Like the Drouin trade, the deal doesn't make much sense from a fit perspective. With Drouin, we acquired a left winger (because that's really where he appears more comfortable) in exchange for a LHD, when we are swimming in top 6-9 LW and short on skilled LHD. With Domi, we acquired another LW and set-up man and dealt away a scorer when we have a clear need for the latter over the former.

It wouldn't make sense to trade Pacioretty for Bobrovsky or Holtby, even if you think those are great goalies, unless there's also a second deal to trade Price away. It wouldn't make sense to deal Weber for Phil Kessel, without another move to compensate for that. Doesn't mean Kessel isn't good, but the fit just isn't smart when we have wingers but very few competent D men.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, maas_art said:

Im actually more at odds with calling Domi a Ford. The implication is that Galchenyuk is 'top of the line' while Domi is merely average.

Both players have .61 ppg over their career.  Domi was one of the highest touted players in the league the year he came in, ranking 6th in calder voting behind the likes of Eichel, McDavid, Panarin etc.       He's had 1 injury shortened season and one bad (while his team imploded around him) season.   He is still a very good player.

Do I think Domi and Galchenyuk are of equal value right now? NO. Do i think we should have gotten more for Galcheynyk YES (although i certainly see how much MB and co damaged AG's value prior to trading him).

But to suggest that domi is some run of the mill utilitarian plugger is a bit silly.  He's played 3 seasons and 222 games compared with Galchenyuk's 6 and 418 games.  Lets give Max an opportunity to show what kind of player he is (hopefully with better linemates) before comparing them as thoroughbred vs pony.

By the same token then Galchenyuk had a strike shortened season and two injury shortened seasons.  Also, as mentioned, he was centred by offensive juggernauts like Steve Ott, Jacob De La Rose, Brian Flynn and Mike McCarron.

I must also admit I'm also not understanding the 222 vs. 418 games logic here.  There is a one year difference between Domi and Galchenyuk in age.  Given that the strike shortened the first season to 48 games, why didn't Domi play give or take 370 games (adjusted for injuries)?  Simple.  Because Galchenyuk was better earlier on.  It's not like they said let's play him and see where it gets us.  It's because he was good early on and got to play early on.  It's not a chicken and egg problem.  Domi didn't get to play early on because he wasn't good enough.  To say they both produced 0.61 points is to say a 21 year old produced the same as an 18 year old Galchenyuk and so on.  I wouldn't exactly view that in a positive light.

But no, Domi is not a bad players.  You'll excuse me, I'm rather frustrated these days and might be taking it out on him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Disillusioned1 said:

But no, Domi is not a bad players.  You'll excuse me, I'm rather frustrated these days and might be taking it out on him.

I think we're all in that boat.   I think thats why i like Weber - i feel so bad for him - its not his fault he came into this crap storm. Unless he has a time machine there's no way he can make up the slack left behind from losing Subban.  

And unlike in the past when we traded Turgeon for Corson, it looks like MB still has ownership's full trust.  its really frustrating. If i felt like i could cheer for another team, id surely do it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Markov and Subban were absolutely important to Pacioretty. But Pacioretty still had to put the puck in the net. By no means am I saying Domi isn't valuable or that a team doesn't need good set-up men. I'm saying this particular Habs team has a complete lack of consistent goal-scorers/snipers. Like the Drouin trade, the deal doesn't make much sense from a fit perspective. With Drouin, we acquired a left winger (because that's really where he appears more comfortable) in exchange for a LHD, when we are swimming in top 6-9 LW and short on skilled LHD. With Domi, we acquired another LW and set-up man and dealt away a scorer when we have a clear need for the latter over the former.

It wouldn't make sense to trade Pacioretty for Bobrovsky or Holtby, even if you think those are great goalies, unless there's also a second deal to trade Price away. It wouldn't make sense to deal Weber for Phil Kessel, without another move to compensate for that. Doesn't mean Kessel isn't good, but the fit just isn't smart when we have wingers but very few competent D men.

Thats to funny ''''' you were all for the drouin trade...Yet i was dead against it when it happened.

this has nothing to do with trading a LF for a deeman which was crazy at the time.  This is about trading two forwards who again I believe have equal value. right now today.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, caperns61 said:

Thats to funny ''''' you were all for the drouin trade...Yet i was dead against it when it happened.

this has nothing to do with trading a LF for a deeman which was crazy at the time.  This is about trading two forwards who again I believe have equal value. right now today.

I actually was not all for the Drouin trade. What I said at the time was that the trade had the potential to be a winner either way. This was not like trading Subban for Weber and losing on just about all counts of age, contract, skill, etc. In the Drouin trade, we received a player who was still very young and who could be a significant talent in his prime for many years. I also said that Drouin was more proven at the NHL level and that we were trading a lesser-known commodity but one with a high ceiling, whereby it could come back to bite us. My point had never been that we won the Drouin trade outright, just that it was defensible and could be something that made sense. However, I also stated that it really only made sense if 1. Drouin proved to be a top center or 2. Marc Bergevin followed it up with another trade to deal a winger for a center. Neither one of those things happened.

In the same way, we are now sitting on a surplus of top 9 wingers again, yet a deficit of top 6 centers and left-handed D men with skill. This trade doesn't address either one of those needs, so we're still sitting here with the same big holes we had a few weeks ago. MB clearly wanted to trade Galchenyuk, but if that's the case, you absolutely had to do it to plug one of the holes. At the very least, you had to replace his goal-scoring. I don't see how this trade accomplished any of that, because it didn't. So... if Bergevin goes out and trades Pacioretty for a top 6 center and deals another winger for a top 3 LHD, then fine. Now the balance of everything is that you've dealt your wingers for your needs and Domi fits much better into what's left. But if Bergevin stops where he is now, akin to how he was unable to address needs last year, then the trade just doesn't make sense in any way.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's possible that I'm just giving MB ore credit than he deserves, because who knows with him. But I have a hard time imagining he wasn't talking with Carolina about Hanifin, or Buffalo about ROR, or Edmonton about RNH. My guess is that MB shopped Galchenyuk for any and every worthwhile C/LD, I just don't think anyone was biting. Domi might not play the position we need, but he might have been the best player we could get for AG at the time. Does BPA apply to transactions beyond the draft?    

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, MALMACIAN_CRUNCH said:

It's possible that I'm just giving MB ore credit than he deserves, because who knows with him. But I have a hard time imagining he wasn't talking with Carolina about Hanifin, or Buffalo about ROR, or Edmonton about RNH. My guess is that MB shopped Galchenyuk for any and every worthwhile C/LD, I just don't think anyone was biting. Domi might not play the position we need, but he might have been the best player we could get for AG at the time. Does BPA apply to transactions beyond the draft?    

imho it doenst and here's why: at the draft, you have  3 minutes to make your selection. We had no need or timeline to trade Galchenyuk.  If Domi was "the best we could get for him" then better GM would have played him in a way that would have boosted his value and then traded him early next season. Mind you, a better GM would not have devalued him to the point he was at this summer.  
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

i think MB likes domi, he fits his style of play, he probly would have given arizona a pick if he had to, MB doesn't value guys like AG very high, MB is till building his grinder team to get us next years top draft, and many years to come

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, maas_art said:

imho it doenst and here's why: at the draft, you have  3 minutes to make your selection. We had no need or timeline to trade Galchenyuk.  If Domi was "the best we could get for him" then better GM would have played him in a way that would have boosted his value and then traded him early next season. Mind you, a better GM would not have devalued him to the point he was at this summer.  
 

I agree with you, even more, a good GM would have boosted his value last year so that his trade value is there when you need it. I can only assume that MB didn't want to go into this season with the distractions. I can't speak to Galchenyuks character or attitude, or how he was around the team, but from my perspective as a fan, their relationship seemed like a mess last year.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, MALMACIAN_CRUNCH said:

 I can only assume that MB didn't want to go into this season with the distractions.

He's going into next year with the same distractions as last year

No C's (  a # 1 and # 2 ) and No top pairing D man .

MB can talk all about attitude and character but this team doesn't have what it takes to make the playoffs  again .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Max will wear No. 13 in honour of Leafs great Mats Sundin, a mentor in his childhood days in Toronto and still a great supporter who often texts him on-ice tips.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Regis22 said:

He's going into next year with the same distractions as last year

No C's (  a # 1 and # 2 ) and No top pairing D man .

MB can talk all about attitude and character but this team doesn't have what it takes to make the playoffs  again .

I just meant the distractions pertaining to Galchenyuk. Also I'm not defending it, just throwing my two cents out there as to why he might have felt the need to push this trade in the off season rather than wait. 

Our lack of centers and a top pair LD aren't really what I would call distractions. More like direct issues. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...