Canadiens de Montreal

Galchenyuk traded for Domi

BigTed3

2 minutes ago, maas_art said:

What

The

Actual

F.

Congratulations Mr Bergevin, you may have outdone yourself. I thought Subban for Weber was bad. I thought Drouin for Sergachev was terrible but this?    

The only person who can possibly be happy about this trade is Houle because suddenly he's not the worst GM in franchise history. 

Pitiful.

How did this happen? Does anyone else remember wondering how we rentented Vanek for a 2nd round pick? Or how we got Danault and a second for weise? Trading Georges? Getting rid of Rene Bourque? Trading for and signing Petry?

Seriously, he did everything right at first, it was all really good! Now its one disaster after another.... wha happened?

I just cant believe how bad this trade is.

I mean Domi + 5th overall.. i can buy that. We are accepting a rebuild and it makes sense to turn 1 player into two assets but 1 for 1? Its borderline ludicrous.

More and more Bergevin looks like some angry kid who is trying to "prove" he knows best.  The stupidity of his moves is almost unbelievable.   Lets say you look at Domi and say "you know what, he's an 80 point player getting beaten down in the wrong system" - and lets say you're right... you still dont have to trade a way more valuable player for him!!!  Galchenyuk was worth waaaaay more than Domi 1 for 1.   Even AG for Domi + 2nd would have been better. Or Domi + prospect. but 1 for one? this is atrocious. 

As an aside, I like Domi. I think he'll do well in montreal and will be a fan favourite.  But so what? I like lots of players but I wouldnt trade higher than market value for them!!!   SO MAD RIGHT NOW. 

3 minutes ago, Windoe said:

Making more cap room for JT?

Trying hard here to figure this out...

Even if that is the case - and i fully expect we'll be making more moves - you dont trade for 75¢ on the dollar which Bergevin seems to be making a habit of.  

We traded Subban for Weber - a good defensman but not as good. We trade Galchenyuk for Domi - a good forward but not as good. Sure, maybe Domi works out to be a better player but right now AG has the higher value. It should never have been a 1 for 1. At worst it should have been 2-3 pieces coming back from Arizona for AG.  

1 minute ago, Windoe said:

Seeing that CapFriendly.com has put Max Domi as LW/C

Perhaps he plans on trying Domi at C

I wouldnt doubt at all they are thinking they can use Domi there- and maybe they can - but its another hail mary move. Not smart trading in the least. 

Thanks for the restless night MB. Tossed and turned all night and now on the computer at 4 a.m. I usually try to see the upside in a trade as time goes by. This one is a pure disaster. Did MB suffer some type of head injury and made this deal from a coma induced state in his hospital bed? Going to take a long time to get over this one. Eller made him look like a fool this season and Chucky just might make him look insane going forward. Now to boot we have to see Domi's face in the stands at the Bell. This just gets worse and worse.:5155:

There are no words. Like seriously, how does he come up with this stuff? 

This team clearly has two huge needs: centers and dmen. So our GM decides we need a downgrade at LW to fix this?

One step closer to Jack Hughes I guess.

19 minutes ago, habsisme said:

I don't see it as a disaster because I don't think Chucky had THAT much value but it's still a dumb trade. MB has clearly not learned any lessons

We're one of the most offensively challenged teams in the League and here we are trading 20 goal players for 10 goal guys.

Well he did say that the problem was attitude and Molson confirmed that those who couldn't/wouldn't change would be gone... hmmm ... I guess "ours is not to reason why, ours is but to do and die" (the plight of Habs fans)... it is a process remember :5155:

If this was it (a cost cutting measure) and there is nothing left to follow as a result.. what the...

Next he selects Brady Tkachuk (who has fallen out of the top five) instead of Zadina, in the hope that he can play center (listed as C/LW) even though he has been playing the wing most often...

Or worse trades his 3rd overall pick for peanuts and hopes to nab Tkachuk with a later pick

8 hours ago, H_T_L said:

I can't wait to hear the presser where MB rolls out his rolodex full of clichés to justify this one. Grit character and attitude.

He'll likely say Galchenyuk was a great player but that the Habs are excited they're getting such a fantastic player back who has the potential to provide scoring, grit, and provide a new look for the offence. No mention of the drop-off in goal scoring or the fact they didn't address a need. It's the same thing every time he makes a move. Someone from the media had better ask him why he didn't address the center or D holes when dealing from his one position of strength (LW). Pathetic.

8 hours ago, Habituallity said:

Having not read the first page... does anyone think galchenyuk may have asked for a trade?

It's possible. We know AG and CJ didn't get along that well. It seems to be that Julien doesn't care much for Russian players. Markov, Emelin, Nesterov, Radulov, Galchenyuk, etc. have all been shown the door since he came in. Is Scherbak next? A real shame we got two coaches in a row who didn't appreciate AG's talent.

That being said, even if AG did ask for a trade, it wasn't public knowledge and no one forced MB to make this trade. Duchene asked for a trade, and look at the return there. Even if AG requested this, you have to make a better trade than that. If MB deals AG for some package that includes the 5th overall, it's acceptable even if it's disappointing. But like with Weber-Subban, he deals two guys who play the same position and gets the clearly inferior guy in a 1 for 1 trade. There's no argument to be made for winning this trade.

5 hours ago, Windoe said:

Making more cap room for JT?

Trying hard here to figure this out...

The 5th overall wouldn't have cost us any cap space. Just saying.

5 hours ago, Windoe said:

Seeing that CapFriendly.com has put Max Domi as LW/C

Perhaps he plans on trying Domi at C

Galchenyuk can also play center, I hear. In fact, Chayka said Ari will play him there.

As a pure trade, This is not as bad a trade as people are making out. Over the last 3 seasons Galchenyk has 151 pts in 225 games, Domi has 135 in 222 points, GAlchenyk is a -44 and Domi is a -13. And up until this season I could argue that Galchenyk got to play on a much better team with much better plays. I think Max has the ability to be our lower tier Brad Marchand without the licking :). I think Domi offers a far more complete game them Galchenyk. 

And this is not as bad as Sergachev for Droiun where we traded away a piece where we were already weak at. 

Or Subban for Weber. Where we gave up a Norris Trophy winner for an aging vet.

From Mark Lazerus, who is a journalist/beat writer for the Chicago Blackhawks:

Stan Bowman has made a dicey deal here and there and has handed out a few questionable contracts. But Blackhawks fans should remind themselves frequently how fortunate they are that another team hired away Marc Bergevin.

Again, it's very clear to everyone how badly Bergevin has done in the past few years and again last night. No mistake that the Habs tried to hide this deal on a Friday night. That's the time to announce trades you know will be hated by fans and media.

EVERYTHING I've read about this trade has been unanimous. We lost this trade. Bergevin simply downgraded an asset at the wing. That's it. Nothing more to discuss. Our general manager is terrible at his job. Good God, remember when we were commending him for making the simple coaching decisions after our terrible season? Choices I could have made for the organization, really. But Bergevin is REALLY back now. I cannot wait to see the 8-year extension for Pacioretty. Or the trade for Lucic. Or the disaster at the entry draft. We'd be the laughing stock of the league if it weren't for Ottawa.

I don't understand this trade. Chucky has been getting better all around and is great on the PP and is a highly skilled player. I do understand that we were or are still deep at LW but it doesn't make sense to trade for a player similar at the same position. Hopefully Domi will excel here but it still doesn't address any of the teams immediate needs. I also think on a one to one it's a down grade. We'll see but I think this is disappointing.

2 Years ago, I was in Vancouver and the PK trade happened. Now I'm in Utah and I wake up to find this out. I'm so mad I could spit nails!!!!

Dumb just keeps getting dumber!!!! 

Thanks genius, you ruined my vacay. :5155::5155::5155: