Jump to content
The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Galchenyuk traded for Domi


BigTed3
 Share

Recommended Posts

15 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

2 Years ago, I was in Vancouver and the PK trade happened. Now I'm in Utah and I wake up to find this out. I'm so mad I could spit nails!!!!

Dumb just keeps getting dumber!!!! 

Thanks genius, you ruined my vacay. :5155::5155::5155:

 

You might want to consider taking Bergy on vacation with you next year. Take him out to see those beautiful canyons. Between the poor cell phone connections and a long walk in those canyons you never know what could happen.:6396: It would probably keep him out of the  loop until the draft is over. On other hand we may end up with some players outta Utah.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Habberwacky said:

You might want to consider taking Bergy on vacation with you next year. Take him out to see those beautiful canyons. Between the poor cell phone connections and a long walk in those canyons you never know what could happen.:6396: It would probably keep him out of the  loop until the draft is over. On other hand we may end up with some players outta Utah.

I was also at the Grand Canyon north rim yesterday. Crap!!!!! Missed opportunity. :5155:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bergevin on the trade:

- Max brings character, intensity, and intangibles (he said this about Alzner, Schlemko, Deslauriers, Froese, etc.)

- You can watch Max Domi on youtube and see how good he is (explains a lot about the Habs pro scouting woes if that's how they're doing scouting; also explains why they fired a bunch of scouts, since who needs them when you can watch youtube:

- I don't want to talk about Alex, I want to talk about Max (eerily similar to his comments about PK)

- Alex will be a UFA in two years, Domi is restricted for 4 more (but that was your fault for not signing AG long term when you had a chance)

- This is not a set up to another trade, Max will be on team next year and playing wing (so no addressing the center position, apparently)

 

I'm sorry, but I can't and don't respect anything Bergevin says any more. He's full of lies, he's full of BS, and he makes horrible hockey decisions. Also disappointing that the media members didn't pin Bergevin with harder questions.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can't believe I was dumb enough to think Tavares might come here and that maybe there was something to MBs madness. 

I just don't understand what happened. The first 2-3 years he made such great moves. WHAT HAPPENED?!

I don't understand how Molson can still stomach this. The media practically laughs when they talk about us, GMs who make trades with us get praised and even win awards... how does he rub shoulders with all the other rich owners and not feel like a complete loser 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

 

- You can watch Max Domi on youtube and see how good he is (explains a lot about the Habs pro scouting woes if that's how they're doing scouting; also explains why they fired a bunch of scouts, since who needs them when you can watch youtube:

 

You do know that the HAbs fired their Ontario scout ( Ludzik ) and I think 3 others .

They are moving to the new era of scouting . Watch videos people post on youtube

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ray Ferraro, who is  one of the really great analysts out there today and a guy whose opinion I respect, says the Habs lost this trade and made a dumb decision to trade Galchenyuk without getting a center back. Yup.

Francois Gagnon, a guy whose opinion I don't really respect that much and who is a Nordiques/Sens fan and acts like it, says Domi is the best we could have gotten for Galchenyuk and that the trade is fine... well if that's the case, then you simply don't trade the better player. Another dumb take from Gagnon. No one forced the Habs to make this deal, you only make the trade if you're improving your team.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

The more I think about it, the more I hate the deal. IMO Drouin and Galchenyuk are fairly interchangeable. So we essentially dealt Sergachev for Domi and the rest was pretty square. That's brutal. I'd have rather swapped AG for another top 10 pick and chosen a guy who could be useful to us. Enough with these terrible trades.

I don't think that's quite the right way to think about this, Drouin was coming off his 2nd-3rd NHL season (depending how you count the 21-game season) with 53 points in 73 games. Galchenyk is coming off his 6th NHL season with 51 points in 82 games and 2 years from UFA.

With that said, this is still a bad trade. I wasn't totally opposed to trading Galchenyk for the right return: despite flashes of brilliance, he's never seemed to put it altogether. I keep waiting for him to break out and keep seeing signs it happens, only for him to regress. If after six season he hasn't broken 60 points, maybe we need to accept most likely that's the player he is? I'll be completely happy if he breaks out in Arizona and proves the incompetence of our current staff, just not sure how likely it is.

With all that said, Max Domi is not fair compensation or a good fit for what we need - he's mostly played wing and doesn't score goals. We get a bit younger & cheaper, and I always assumed Galchenyk was out of here in 2 seasons when he's a UFA anyways, but Domi does not remotely fit what we need. After a promising rookie season, he's had 2 seasons where he looks more like a role-player than a top-six forward. I think he'll be an okay depth piece, but to trade our second-best point-getter / third-best goal-scorer from last season on a team that was offensively starved? What on earth is MB thinking? I suppose if we're tanking this makes some sense, but why not just get draft picks then (plus MB has given no indication he's trying to tank)?

Galchenyk was imperfect and never quite lived up to the hype for where he was drafted (granted, in what turned out to be an incredibly weak draft up front), but on an offensively challenged team he was still providing value, to trade for what appears to be a depth piece with a bit of offensive upside makes no sense.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Ray Ferraro, who is  one of the really great analysts out there today and a guy whose opinion I respect, says the Habs lost this trade and made a dumb decision to trade Galchenyuk without getting a center back. Yup.

I don't think Galchenyk's value was sky-high or anything, but feels like we could have found a decent youngish #2 center somewhere. Maybe we'd need to throw in a draft pick or another piece to make it work, but at least that trade would make some sense. And if that trade wasn't possible, just roll with Galchenyk - 51 points isn't nothing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

- Max brings character, intensity, and intangibles (he said this about Alzner, Schlemko, Deslauriers, Froese, etc.)

Oh now this trade makes sense, I totally forgot the problem with last year's team was character and not wanting to win. Who needs goals when you have intangibles!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Graeme-1 said:

I don't think Galchenyk's value was sky-high or anything, but feels like we could have found a decent youngish #2 center somewhere. Maybe we'd need to throw in a draft pick or another piece to make it work, but at least that trade would make some sense. And if that trade wasn't possible, just roll with Galchenyk - 51 points isn't nothing.

Buffalo has publicly stated they want scoring on the wings. Carolina has said they want to change their line-up drastically. Edmonton is in dire need of a scoring winger. Vancouver is itching to make a trade for a young impact player. And clearly some of the other teams believe Galchenyuk can be a useful center. I find it hard to believe MB couldn't find a deal for a center or a LHD.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This team's biggest issue the past two years has been a complete lack of goal-scoring. We had two bona fide snipers on the team: Pacioretty and Galchenyuk. Sure, Gallagher and Byron can score, but they're not players whom you think about being able to score from anywhere and being dangerous with one shot. They need to work and they need to get in close to make them count. Now, we've dealt one of our two real scorers for a playmaking winger and the other guy is rumored to be on the market too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Now AG does his media and says

1. That he found out about the trade via twitter (stay classy, Marc Bergevin and Geoff Molson)

2. He wanted to play center, asked Julien if he could, and was told no. In a wasted season like last one, why not try to boot AG's value as a center when the season is long gone? Stupid waste yet again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

This team's biggest issue the past two years has been a complete lack of goal-scoring. We had two bona fide snipers on the team: Pacioretty and Galchenyuk. Sure, Gallagher and Byron can score, but they're not players whom you think about being able to score from anywhere and being dangerous with one shot. They need to work and they need to get in close to make them count. Now, we've dealt one of our two real scorers for a playmaking winger and the other guy is rumored to be on the market too.

That's what's so crazy about this trade. Like I could kind of understand it if we were scoring a bunch of goals but still losing. I could sort-of understand a lot of MB's moves if that was the case (maybe the Weber trade makes some sense, although you still ask for a good pick back to make up for the age difference).  It's like MB is living in this alternate universe where the Canadiens biggest problem is something other than scoring goals.

It doesn't say much about the rest of the roster that our third-leading goal-scorer and second-leading point-getter had 19 goals and 51 points. But it's hard to see any sort of addition by subtraction here. And I just heard on the radio that of Domi's 9 goals, 4 or 5 were empty netters apparently? So it's also hard to see any addition by addition.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Graeme-1 said:

That's what's so crazy about this trade. Like I could kind of understand it if we were scoring a bunch of goals but still losing. I could sort-of understand a lot of MB's moves if that was the case (maybe the Weber trade makes some sense, although you still ask for a good pick back to make up for the age difference).  It's like MB is living in this alternate universe where the Canadiens biggest problem is something other than scoring goals.

It doesn't say much about the rest of the roster that our third-leading goal-scorer and second-leading point-getter had 19 goals and 51 points. But it's hard to see any sort of addition by subtraction here. And I just heard on the radio that of Domi's 9 goals, 4 or 5 were empty netters apparently? So it's also hard to see any addition by addition.

Right. MB continues to claim the biggest missing ingredient is character. His plan and vision just hasn't worked. At some point, the club is going to have to admit they need better skill and goal scoring and can't keep trading away the creative talented players.

I think I saw a stat that said Domi actually had just one more non-empty net goal than Jacob De La Rose last year, so that shows you something.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, tony5775 said:

This is a strange trade. The stories of AG and his off ice antics must have some truth to them. You would think the offers would of been better then this. 

At this point I don't trust the market because GMs know MB is the guy to fleece, so unless its a guy you MUST have, you low ball and hope for the best

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...