The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Galchenyuk traded for Domi

BigTed3

http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/news/alex-galchenyuk-trade-grades-details-max-domi-canadiens-coyotes-winners-losers/1y127dcglings1e2mlezrr8h2t

Canadiens: D+

At this point, Bergevin hardly deserves the benefit of the doubt. He's wheeling and dealing for his job this summer, so you can't fault the guy for trying, but add this trade to the heap of head-scratchers he has pulled off during five seasons in Montreal, all of which never seem to address the club's biggest needs.

Trade rumors around Galchenyuk have been swirling for years. Bergevin's stubborn insistence on playing him on the wing rather than at center (Galchenyuk's preferred position), even though the Habs are starved at pivot, has always been a point of contention, and the inconsistent switching has made it difficult to gauge exactly where his talent lies. In that regard, it's good that Montreal finally cut bait, because neither party was getting anywhere.

Domi, a restricted free agent, is due a new deal, which is expected to be completed in the coming days, if not hours. He's a year younger than Galchenyuk but has played nearly 200 fewer NHL games. He registered a career-high 52 points as a rookie in 2015-16 (both are averaging 0.61 points per game for their careers) but has lost his way a bit since then, scoring just nine goals in each of the last two seasons.

4 hours ago, tony5775 said:

This is a strange trade. The stories of AG and his off ice antics must have some truth to them. You would think the offers would of been better then this. 

Because it's just not plausible that Marc Bergevin would make a stupid, ill-advised move in which he gives away the better player in a lopsided trade for "grit" and "character"?

What a joke of a franchise we‘ve become, it‘s embarrassing. MB should have been canned right after the PK trade, yet he‘s still allowed to gut this team for whatever reason. 

I’m simply not going to watch this sorry excuse for a hockey team, there are way more important things in life to worry about.

Good job MB, you‘ve successfully set this franchise  back for another decade at least. 

8 minutes ago, ChiLla said:

What a joke of a franchise we‘ve become, it‘s embarrassing. MB should have been canned right after the PK trade, yet he‘s still allowed to gut this team for whatever reason. 

I’m simply not going to watch this sorry excuse for a hockey team, there are way more important things in life to worry about.

Good job MB, you‘ve successfully set this franchise  back for another decade at least. 

Totally agree except for one thing. He should have been canned before the PK trade. Probably when he hired MT.

4 minutes ago, FireHabs said:

Good trade let’s see what Domi can do before anybody is hanged.  Alex was up and down maybe if he played centre it would have been different but it wasn’t and he didn’t.

What exactly has Domi done so far to make you think this is a good trade?

5 minutes ago, FireHabs said:

Good trade let’s see what Domi can do before anybody is hanged.  Alex was up and down maybe if he played centre it would have been different but it wasn’t and he didn’t.

good trade!? 

I was down on Chucky and had no problem moving him. I agree that some people here think we could have gotten a lot more than was likely possible (IMO) but Domi? I just don't get it. We should have kept him or moved him for a poor man's 2nd line C or a #4 puck moving LD... but not Domi

The only way I could see myself being OK with this trade is if a firesale is coming, then I don't mind them gaining RFA years with someone they believe him 

3 minutes ago, habsisme said:

good trade!? 

I was down on Chucky and had no problem moving him. I agree that some people here think we could have gotten a lot more than was likely possible (IMO) but Domi? I just don't get it. We should have kept him or moved him for a poor man's 2nd line C or a #4 puck moving LD... but not Domi

The only way I could see myself being OK with this trade is if a firesale is coming, then I don't mind them gaining RFA years with someone they believe him 

I was never down on Chucky... I was down on management and coaching with the way they bounced him around and showed little faith in his potential

The above alone is enough for me to ask if Julien is still the right man for the job as head coach of the Habs the way some people seem to believe.

7 minutes ago, Habs_Hockey_Nutz said:

I was never down on Chucky... I was down on management and coaching with the way they bounced him around and showed little faith in his potential

The above alone is enough for me to ask if Julien is still the right man for the job as head coach of the Habs the way some people seem to believe.

I was thinking what you did but then Julien came in and treated Chucky even worse... but i guess we're about to find out what he's capable of 

3 minutes ago, habsisme said:

I was thinking what you did but then Julien came in and treated Chucky even worse... but i guess we're about to find out what he's capable of 

IMO if he is treated fairly with the Yotes he will show his true potential

Domi’s first year was a good one and it’s not his fault he was traded to the Habs so I’ll give him the benefit of him showing if he can play.  Julien, we picked up a coach that was let go and we let him go to I think a couple of years ago so he is not the man for this team.  And, I don’t know who is as if I did I would be running this this.

i like reading what all of you have to say but I am still going to watch and maybe they’ll do something.

5 minutes ago, jeff33 said:

incredible.

hey guys, whats worse, the return on this trade or the fact that its going to be the only significant move we make? 

wait until they re sign Plekanec, give Max an 8 year $10 m contract and sign Jack Johnson         

and with the 3 rd pick Montreal selects an unknow from USA high school                

44 minutes ago, habsisme said:

good trade!? 

This.   Look, I dont mind Max Domi and I actually am happy to have him on my team but not a that cost!!  Paul Byron + 2nd for Max Domi? You got it.  But Galchenyuk?  How much do you want to bet AG will break 60 points next year?  70?  Maybe more?   This is going to look hellaugly very very soon.  It may well end up being Mb's worst trade and that is saying a LOT. 

Even though i like Chucky I have no problem trading ANY player - as long as the return is good. This was NOT even close to a good return. Not only that, it was for a player at a position we're already stupidly strong at.  We have like 9 natural left wings.  Why on earth would you trade Chucky for one?? Sure we got younger but I would have taken an older player like ROR before i take Domi.  It was a ludicrous, idiotic trade.  Even if Domi suddenly scores 90 points next year, right now, June 2018 we got fleeced in respective value of each player.  

7 minutes ago, jeff33 said:

incredible.

hey guys, whats worse, the return on this trade or the fact that its going to be the only significant move we make? 

I actually think there will be several significant moves.  The scary part is that this may not be the worst one... stay tuned. 

2 minutes ago, maas_art said:

This.   Look, I dont mind Max Domi and I actually am happy to have him on my team but not a that cost!!  Paul Byron + 2nd for Max Domi? You got it.  But Galchenyuk?  How much do you want to bet he'll break 60 points next year?  70?  Maybe more?   This is going to look hellaugly very very soon.  Its probably Mb's worst so far and that is saying a LOT. 

Even though i like Chucky I have no problem trading ANY player - as long as the return is good. This was NOT even close to a good return. Not only that, it was for a player at a position we're already stupidly strong at.  We have like 9 natural left wings.  Why on earth would you trade Chucky for one?? Sure we got younger but I would have taken an older player like ROR before i take Domi.  It was a ludicrous, idiotic trade.  Even if Domi suddenly scores 90 points next year, right now, June 2018 we got fleeced in respective value of each player.  

I actually think there will be several significant moves.  The scary part is that this may not be the worst one... stay tuned. 

in a way im almost hoping it is, because the only other things i see us doing are getting lucic, johnson, making a brutal trade for max, overpaying a bum like bozak and not getting zadina at the draft and i dont want any of those things to happen