The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Report: Max Pacioretty traded to San Jose

BigTed3

6 hours ago, habs1952 said:

But what motivation will Max have knowing the Habs don't want him and other teams look at his value as low. We don't need him to be a bigger floater than he already is.

I think he needs to have a really good year as having another year like 2017-18 is not going help him hit a big pay day. So I suggest money whether from the Habs or some one else is the motivator. I think it was a great idea to fire his old agent because he is currently in a bit of a tough spot. Although if Price didn't sign before last year he might be in a similar although not as tough sittuation.

2 hours ago, truehabs said:

It has been confirmed that Max Pacioretty has screwed himself out of being traded by asking for an 8yr deal at $8million per year contract extension

Source? Haven't seen this anywhere. Reported that he turned down an extension with LA, but haven't seen anything confirmed about his wanting 8 years at 8 per. Could this be false?

2 hours ago, truehabs said:

It has been confirmed that Max Pacioretty has screwed himself out of being traded by asking for an 8yr deal at $8million per year contract extension

It could be the opposite. He may just be forcing MB's hand to trade him and get the best deal MB can get.

8 minutes ago, Noob616 said:

I also don't really get why 8M would be such a crazy number for Pacioretty. Evander Kane just got 7X7M and Pacioretty has one more 30 goal season (5) than Kane has 20 goal seasons (4).

It's not, especially since we really underpaid him over the years.  But it does really limit where we can trade him to.

9 minutes ago, Noob616 said:

I also don't really get why 8M would be such a crazy number for Pacioretty. Evander Kane just got 7X7M and Pacioretty has one more 30 goal season (5) than Kane has 20 goal seasons (4).

8M is not a crazy number, albeit on the upper end of where I'd envision him. I'd have guessed somewhere in the 7 to 8M range. However, if he's asking for 8 years, that's an extra season at that number, which he isn't getting anywhere else. If he signs for 7 year at 8M as a UFA, no one's giving him 8M when he becomes a free agent again 7 years later at age 37. The other thing to consider is that Kane is a bit younger, so even though Pacioretty is easily the better player and has less baggage, you're getting a couple more past-prime years that you're overpaying for. So it's a toss-up in terms of value when you adjust for age.

We would have to do sign and trade...it's near impossible to move him now for fair value everyone knows bergevin wants to move him...ic him being moved at the deadline for a 2nd round pick and some prospects that will develop into 3rd or 4th line players 

9 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Source? Haven't seen this anywhere. Reported that he turned down an extension with LA, but haven't seen anything confirmed about his wanting 8 years at 8 per. Could this be false?

I forget the guys name but he was on Prime Time Sports with Bob McCown on Monday talking about it

I don't get this, we are not rebuilding so why exactly are we moving Paks?  A perennial 30 goal scorer on a team in desperate need of goals.  It's not like we can move him for a better player.  Sure we need help on the wings but move a young goalie to a team desperate for a good young goalie...... can anyone else say Lindgrin to Buffalo in a package for O'Reilly.  So now we have a good young center with a couple of good young wingers.  

2 minutes ago, 26NCounting said:

I don't get this, we are not rebuilding so why exactly are we moving Paks?  A perennial 30 goal scorer on a team in desperate need of goals.  It's not like we can move him for a better player.  Sure we need help on the wings but move a young goalie to a team desperate for a good young goalie...... can anyone else say Lindgrin to Buffalo in a package for O'Reilly.  So now we have a good young center with a couple of good young wingers.  

I think we are rebuilding, we're just not telling anyone.   Otherwise why do you select a centre who is most likely 2+ years away from the NHL vs. an NHL ready player in this year's draft.  

And as much as we like Lindgren, he'd be a very small part of a deal to Buffalo for ROR. Every team has 1 or 2 Lindgrens. They dont have a lot of value, despite us hoping he will be starter-caliber one day.