Jump to content
The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Free Agent Frenzy


Recommended Posts

19 minutes ago, HabsAlways said:

As some have said, he SHOULD quit.

What he will do?   Despite some who dreamed of Tavares signing here, I said a few times there was zero chance Tavares even considered us.   And it appears that is the case.     Others are banking on Stastny ...  I think the Jets are going to try hard and resign him.    If they don't and somehow we land him, my response is big deal.     His career stats are 0.75ppg .. averaging 0.66 the last three years.   Sure  he had a great playoffs, but he is not the messiah the Habs need.

What the Habs need to do is tank and tank hard for 2-3 years ... and hope for a 1st overall 2019 or 2020 (Jack Hughes or Alexis Lafreniere).   Horde as many picks as they can those 3 years ... trade Weber, Price, Paccioretty for prospects and picks.    Stock up on a good solid group of young talent that might be ready in 4-5 years time.    

It's been 25 years of futility, of 'tweaking' and delusion that the rosters we've had were anywhere close to being contenders.      Making any kind of major splash on the UFA market this year simply prolongs that agony and insanity.

Good post

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, HabsAlways said:

As some have said, he SHOULD quit.

What he will do?   Despite some who dreamed of Tavares signing here, I said a few times there was zero chance Tavares even considered us.   And it appears that is the case.     Others are banking on Stastny ...  I think the Jets are going to try hard and resign him.    If they don't and somehow we land him, my response is big deal.     His career stats are 0.75ppg .. averaging 0.66 the last three years.   Sure  he had a great playoffs, but he is not the messiah the Habs need.

What the Habs need to do is tank and tank hard for 2-3 years ... and hope for a 1st overall 2019 or 2020 (Jack Hughes or Alexis Lafreniere).   Horde as many picks as they can those 3 years ... trade Weber, Price, Paccioretty for prospects and picks.    Stock up on a good solid group of young talent that might be ready in 4-5 years time.    

It's been 25 years of futility, of 'tweaking' and delusion that the rosters we've had were anywhere close to being contenders.      Making any kind of major splash on the UFA market this year simply prolongs that agony and insanity.

Good post

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Yeah... I get the impression that Molson is comfortable with Bergevin managing the team through this rebuild. I mean, we can pretend it isn't happening, but... it is. If Molson was really putting pressure on Bergevin to turn it around we'd have drafted Zadina, no?

All I DO know is, is that Bergevin has Molson under his thumb and has him buying into his nonesense hook, line and sinker IMO.

It`s the foxhole club that never went away.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sounds more and more like Stastny may re-sign with the jets.  From his standpoint it makes a lot of sense - really good chance to win a cup in the next few years. Jets will need to shed salary. Id be happy to take on a bad contract if we can snag a good prospect or a top pick from them to do so.

I still feel like NYI has the best chance of resigning Tavares too. 

 

Should be an interesting few days.  I have a feeling we will do very little, aside from some tinkering.  Which, frankly, is fine. I cant see how many of these guys will help.  Hickey or DeHaan would step onto our roster as our best LHD  so either of them would be useful but we'd only reap the rewards if MB then turned around & traded away Schlemko and Alzner, which i dont think he will do. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

Sounds more and more like Stastny may re-sign with the jets.  From his standpoint it makes a lot of sense - really good chance to win a cup in the next few years. Jets will need to shed salary. Id be happy to take on a bad contract if we can snag a good prospect or a top pick from them to do so.

I still feel like NYI has the best chance of resigning Tavares too. 

 

Should be an interesting few days.  I have a feeling we will do very little, aside from some tinkering.  Which, frankly, is fine. I cant see how many of these guys will help.  Hickey or DeHaan would step onto our roster as our best LHD  so either of them would be useful but we'd only reap the rewards if MB then turned around & traded away Schlemko and Alzner, which i dont think he will do. 

Well know MB will offer some half skilled player to a long term totally joke of a contract, just look at his track record.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A number of different GM are saying that Tavares is holding everything up. Not that he can sign anywhere (except re-signing with NY) but i think there's a sense that he hasnt made a decision yet & until that happens, GMs are not moving players.  July 1 may be a busy day not just for signings but trades too. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, maas_art said:

A number of different GM are saying that Tavares is holding everything up. Not that he can sign anywhere (except re-signing with NY) but i think there's a sense that he hasnt made a decision yet & until that happens, GMs are not moving players.  July 1 may be a busy day not just for signings but trades too. 

Tavares is going to Toronto IMO.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Drew Doughty re-ups with LA for 8 years at 11M AAV.

Thats some big money.  Makes Pk's deal look like a Bargain.  Will be 36 for the last year at $11m.  

17 minutes ago, Habs=stanleycup said:

Tavares is going to Toronto IMO.

I just dont see it but i guess we'll know soon enough.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

Thats some big money.  Makes Pk's deal look like a Bargain.  Will be 36 for the last year at $11m.  

I just dont see it but i guess we'll know soon enough.  

It's his most logical choice IMO. Well managed and well coached team. Young players bursting with skill. Playing alongside Mathews. Tavares' birthplace is Toronto.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Never thought JT would come to Montreal . Montreal has cash , the position is open ( # 1 C ) , Weber, Price , history etc  BUT the team s*cks and is going in the wrong direction .

I wouldn't be surprised if he stays with NY. But Montreal was never an option . He's not a player who seems to crave the spotlight , so why would he want to come to Montreal and deal with the crap and be on a bad hockey club

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My hope is that any free agent looking for term will decide Montreal is too bad to consider signing here. A total lack of signings in this window will continue to push us towards a proper rebuild and, hopefully, MB getting fired. If we sign Stastny for 5-6 years, I think that would be entirely disappointing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I like that we've picked up a 7th rounder (2019) and a 4th rounder (2020) in the process. We've used some of our cap space to pickup a young player and some picks, while helping Winnipeg clear space by dealing Mason.

No doubt, looks like MB made smart use of our Cap space for once. Especially since Stastny seems willing to stay in Winnipeg... plus I do like Armia. We really seem to be after guys from Finland these days ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, ChiLla said:

No doubt, looks like MB made smart use of our Cap space for once. Especially since Stastny seems willing to stay in Winnipeg... plus I do like Armia. We really seem to be after guys from Finland these days ?

It's also the type of deal that says, "we're rebuilding," which is nice! Our goal should be to use our cap space to bring in players on 1-year deals. We can trade those players as the deadline approaches to garner more draft picks for the 2019 draft.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

It's also the type of deal that says, "we're rebuilding," which is nice! Our goal should be to use our cap space to bring in players on 1-year deals. We can trade those players as the deadline approaches to garner more draft picks for the 2019 draft.

For sure, it’s definitely the right signal. Maybe we can also turn Mason into another asset, retaining some salary and trading him to one of the teams in need of goaltending. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, ChiLla said:

For sure, it’s definitely the right signal. Maybe we can also turn Mason into another asset, retaining some salary and trading him to one of the teams in need of goaltending. 

It's possible. Perhaps he works with our goaltending coach and finds his game again. Maybe there's a deadline deal to be made here. Or maybe Niemi gets traded.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ChiLla said:

No doubt, looks like MB made smart use of our Cap space for once. Especially since Stastny seems willing to stay in Winnipeg... plus I do like Armia. We really seem to be after guys from Finland these days ?

 

Fans:  "We need guys who can finish!"

MB:  "How about I do you one better and get you some guys who actually ARE Finnish."

 

The Finnish line:  Lehkonen-Kotkaniemi-Armia

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, ReadySetGo72 said:

 

Fans:  "We need guys who can finish!"

MB:  "How about I do you one better and get you some guys who actually ARE Finnish."

 

The Finnish line:  Lehkonen-Kotkaniemi-Armia

But, can they finish? :rolleyes:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...