The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Free Agent Frenzy

Predictions:

- Habs sign Plekanec.

- Habs sign a veteran LHD like Enstrom, Garrison, Sbisa, Stoner, Holden, Hickey, or a repatriated Alexei Emelin. 1 or 2 year deal for most of the guys, maybe 3 for Sbisa or Hickey.

- Habs offer a contract to David Perron... not sure if he signs here, depending on other offers. I would give him 10% odds of coming here, but I think the Habs will make an offer. Reportedly, we have some interest in Rieder and maybe Duclair but not sure how many 3rd line wingers we can have...

- I wouldn't be surprised if they also look at Joe Colborne. Big 28 year-old center, previously in the Bruins organization, so Claude might know a bit about him.

- And Emile Poirier could be a guy they sign to a two-way AHL deal.

If he can find a diamond in the rough young center with some offensive upside you never know what might happen it is not like we are short on decent wingers add that one center to our line up and we are midpack add two decent centers and a left d to play with Webber and we could make the playoffs and perhaps do a round. the question is, is that all they want or have they finally seen how pooched we are and do this right? probably not but you never know because i don't think MB knows either.

Mike Green signs 2 year extension with Det for 5.4M per season.

Logan Couture signs an 8 x 8 year extension with SJ. Same age as Pacioretty, very similar numbers over their careers. Again, if we can trade Weber or Price or both for a great return, it's not unreasonable to re-sign Max to a long-term deal.

Reaves and Pirri re-sign in Vegas. So off the market, not that we had interest in either one.

Rieder was rumored to be a possible match with the Canucks, but Sportsnet now reporting he's leaning towards another team. I know we had shown some interest there.

Tavares still hasn't committed, but many people feel like if he doesn't decide tonight, it means the 8-year possibility is off the table with the Isles, and if he let that ship sail, it means he likely isn't headed back to NY. Apparently, his teammates are rumored to believe he isn't returning. A lot of rumors that Toronto is the leading candidate right now, followed by San Jose.

Does anybody know just what condition Joe Thortons knees are in? When I look at the list of available FA's, all I see is a bunch of red flags. Not that Thorton doesn't come with his own red flags, but with him being so close to retirement I can't imagine he would come with much more than a two year commitment, possibly even a large one year contract. At least if we did nothing else but that he would provide some shelter for Drouin. If we do find a way to pull off a trade for ROR, even better. I just really don't want to see Drouin have to shoulder it all himself over the next couple of years. Preferably I'd like to see him not have to play center at all.

just picture it...

Pacioretty/Thorton/Gallagher

Drouin/ROR/Domi

Hudon/Danault/Lehkonen

Byron/Shaw/Scherbak

Assuming Thorton has another year or two in the tank, that could be really fun to watch.

As for our gaping hole on LD, I can't see anything that would help us in the slightest. Might be best to role with what we have and hope that by winning more faceoffs and controlling the puck more often it would have a trickle down effect on our defense. I would like to see a little more of what Reilly has to offer.   

As far as anyone knows, JT didn't sign an extension before midnight (necessary to get the 8 years only the Isles could offer), suggesting he's probably moving on from the Islanders. James Mirtle (largely a Leafs writer) says something is "close" and Christ Johnston saying Leafs appear to be the front-runner.

Although I'm not sure how JT fits in with Toronto in the long-run, at least immediately things may be getting even worse for us.

55 minutes ago, Graeme-1 said:

As far as anyone knows, JT didn't sign an extension before midnight (necessary to get the 8 years only the Isles could offer), suggesting he's probably moving on from the Islanders. James Mirtle (largely a Leafs writer) says something is "close" and Christ Johnston saying Leafs appear to be the front-runner.

Although I'm not sure how JT fits in with Toronto in the long-run, at least immediately things may be getting even worse for us.

Will JT be happy being playing second fiddle to Mathews? 

7 hours ago, Regis22 said:

JVR to Philly

Rumored 5 years at 7M. The cap hit is what I thought it would be, but surprised it's only 5 years... I thought 6 or 7 would be JVR's demand, and he was sightly sought-after.

5 hours ago, Graeme-1 said:

The Leafs definitely need D more than centers. They're actually pretty stacked at center already. However, I wonder if this signing means someone else is available, be it Kadri or Nylander or someone else. If you're Toronto, you sign the all-star you can get for free without giving up assets, then you work on making a trade to acquire the part you can't sign (no elite D men on UFA market).

Yes, Karlsson is out there as a trade option, but he's a UFA after this season, the Leafs would never be able to afford a 10-14M salary on him thereafter, and they'd certainly be unable to take on Ryan as part of the deal. I don't see any way those teams could work out a deal. This is where I'll come back to the Habs. Babcock loves Weber. He's drooled over him in the media repeatedly. I could without a doubt see Toronto being over the moon sliding Weber in next to Rielly on their top pairing. And frankly, we need to get out from that contract, which would allow us to re-sign Pacioretty long-term too.

I have no interest in Kadri. He's already 27, which is too old a player to acquire if your Cup window target is in 3-4 years. So the guy you target has to be Nylander. He would give us a right-handed top 6 center. He's an RFA who will probably get 4-5M per year on his deal, and the Leafs had already been entertaining the idea of trading him for D help last year. If they get Tavares and have Matthews and Kadri down the middle too, I think that could be what pushes them to make the trade. I also think that signing JT would make them feel they're really close to a Cup, and they may be more willing to overpay for what they might view as "the last missing piece" in Weber. We know Babcock has been heavily involved in meeting UFA's this off-season, so he's obviously got some pull in the decision-making with the young GM. Dealing Weber for a package that includes Nylander just makes a lot of sense for both teams. So I'd propose

Weber for Nylander, Tor's 1st in 2019, and one of Liljegren or Sandin (Tor's choice of who they want to give us).

Toronto gives up futures with a legit Cup shot for the next few years. We get room to realistically sign Pacioretty and acquire assets for Cup runs in a couple of years. MB pulled off the type of trade with Wpg I suggested, and if he's reading this, Toronto signing Tavares would be exactly the thing to put us in great position to deal them Weber for Nylander plus.

28 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

The Leafs definitely need D more than centers. They're actually pretty stacked at center already. However, I wonder if this signing means someone else is available, be it Kadri or Nylander or someone else. If you're Toronto, you sign the all-star you can get for free without giving up assets, then you work on making a trade to acquire the part you can't sign (no elite D men on UFA market).

Yes, Karlsson is out there as a trade option, but he's a UFA after this season, the Leafs would never be able to afford a 10-14M salary on him thereafter, and they'd certainly be unable to take on Ryan as part of the deal. I don't see any way those teams could work out a deal. This is where I'll come back to the Habs. Babcock loves Weber. He's drooled over him in the media repeatedly. I could without a doubt see Toronto being over the moon sliding Weber in next to Rielly on their top pairing. And frankly, we need to get out from that contract, which would allow us to re-sign Pacioretty long-term too.

I have no interest in Kadri. He's already 27, which is too old a player to acquire if your Cup window target is in 3-4 years. So the guy you target has to be Nylander. He would give us a right-handed top 6 center. He's an RFA who will probably get 4-5M per year on his deal, and the Leafs had already been entertaining the idea of trading him for D help last year. If they get Tavares and have Matthews and Kadri down the middle too, I think that could be what pushes them to make the trade. I also think that signing JT would make them feel they're really close to a Cup, and they may be more willing to overpay for what they might view as "the last missing piece" in Weber. We know Babcock has been heavily involved in meeting UFA's this off-season, so he's obviously got some pull in the decision-making with the young GM. Dealing Weber for a package that includes Nylander just makes a lot of sense for both teams. So I'd propose

Weber for Nylander, Tor's 1st in 2019, and one of Liljegren or Sandin (Tor's choice of who they want to give us).

Toronto gives up futures with a legit Cup shot for the next few years. We get room to realistically sign Pacioretty and acquire assets for Cup runs in a couple of years. MB pulled off the type of trade with Wpg I suggested, and if he's reading this, Toronto signing Tavares would be exactly the thing to put us in great position to deal them Weber for Nylander plus.

I agree that this would make a lot of sense for both teams. But TO's cap situation and decision recently have baffled me as much as MB. They are good because they were bad for so long but signing Marleau and letting JVR walk is a mistake and going after Tavares to risk losing Nylander and not getting the help you need on D is also a mistake. So who knows what they are thinking

5 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

So,,,,,, MB's #1 priority at 12:01 today,,,, resign Pleky. At 12:02,,,, hold a press conference to tell us how hard it is to make deals with UFA's

I mean that would be fine with me, I'd give him all the money he wants to thank him for his service. So long as we are in rebuild mode and not trying win with Plekanec 

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

Holy crap.

Should be the other way around , Weber  , draft picks & another player for Nylander .

I don't hate the guy  but people think the Habs got fleeced on the Weber trade straight up for PK . Now we're suggesting  a 33 yr old WEBER for a three young players , picks and or prospects. I think we're going on his reputation . He's not Karlson, Doughty , PK, Burns , or any other number of guys .I just find that ALOT to give up for him . Just my opinion but what do I know .

Keep track of all the latest news and rumours with TSN.ca's free agency live blog. The Vegas Golden Knights are the front runner to land Winnipeg Jets centre Paul Stastny, TSN Hockey Insider Bob McKenzie reports. Also, the Erik Karlsson trade watch is back on

16 minutes ago, habsisme said:

Pleks signed for one year by habs, no info on salary yet

awesome. There's the 2nd line C . ANy other team he'd be a 4 th