Jump to content
The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Free Agent Frenzy


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Graeme-1 said:

I don't even think it would be that strange (like Colorado or Vegas this year was shocking, I don't think Montreal getting in would be shocking).

With that said, if we get into the playoffs without Price being at least a top-ten goaltender, then I'd be shocked.

I agree. 

With the way this team is right now, with good health, i think there's a decent chance we make it into the playoffs as a wildcard, which is really almost the worst case scenario. 

Ideally we move some vets and get back prospects/picks so we can write off this season and look to a proper rebuild over the next few years.  I dont think MB will do that though. I think Weber and Price are here for the long haul.  I can see he moving some vets (Patches, obviously, maybe Byron or Petry) but the guys who really need to be moved now - in order to maximize value - i think will be here this time next year too. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Habs_Hockey_Nutz said:

UFA's can still be signed in the coming days and weeks... this is not over yet

Ya, but who's left that could be an asset to us?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

Ya, but who's left that could be an asset to us?

I'm pretty sure I'm the only one on here tooting this guys name, but has Thorton resigned with the Sharks yet? On a one year deal, I think he would be worth a look as long as his knees are okay. Stick him between Pacioretty and whoever else we might want to trade at the deadline, might be a great way to maximize their trade value, while protecting Drouin from having to bare the load of being our #1 center. Other than that, I don't see to much on the list. That and maybe more cap trades like the one we made with Winnipeg.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, MALMACIAN_CRUNCH said:

I'm pretty sure I'm the only one on here tooting this guys name, but has Thorton resigned with the Sharks yet? On a one year deal, I think he would be worth a look as long as his knees are okay. Stick him between Pacioretty and whoever else we might want to trade at the deadline, might be a great way to maximize their trade value, while protecting Drouin from having to bare the load of being our #1 center. Other than that, I don't see to much on the list. That and maybe more cap trades like the one we made with Winnipeg.

Pretty sure he's the best of the lot. A big center, can still contribute, a year, maybe 2, why not? We certainly won't make the POs with what we have. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

Pretty sure he's the best of the lot. A big center, can still contribute, a year, maybe 2, why not?

I'd be down. On short term, nothing to loose. Plus, it would be cool to see. I doubt it will happen, since San Jose didn't land Tavares, they'll probably just re-up him. Still fun to think about though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Graeme-1 said:

We've had scoring issues pretty much since I've started following the team, we've made the playoffs plenty of times and even won a few rounds. That 2016 team didn't exactly have Alex Ovechkin. And at this point, we still have Pacioretty who is one of the more consistent snipers in the league. Point is, if you can keep the puck out of your own net, scoring by committee can get you into the playoffs (getting far once you're there may be another story).

And remember this is the NHL, not the NFL or MLB. Over 50% of the league makes the playoffs, you don't have to be all that good.

I have been a habs fan my whole life. I know they cannot score. But there making it worse every year. I don't see price bouncing back. The team in front of him is horrible 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, jwlk said:

I have been a habs fan my whole life. I know they cannot score. But there making it worse every year. I don't see price bouncing back. The team in front of him is horrible 

I agree. Great goalies have been known to steal games many times but none have been able to score also. Our problem is they want Price to be all world every game, despite how poor the team is in front of him and that is ridiculous and then they have the audacity to blame it on attitude. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, East_Coast_Juggalo_13 said:

Anyone else get the impression that Bergevin acquiring Armia was to convince Kotkaniemi to play in MTL this season.  I’m game for a Finnish line of Lehkonen, Kotkaniemi, Armia.

I wonder too.   He said at his presser that Kot would be given a chance to prove he can play here next year.  Gosh i hope they dont rush him if he's not 100% ready though 

 

33 minutes ago, Habs_Hockey_Nutz said:

There was speculation Bergevin was interested in Duclair and De Haan...

Yup. He (MB) said he talked to Duclair & they have mutual interest.  He said De Haan wants term. Sounds like we've offered a deal to him but in a typical "take it or leave it" type of offer. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Habs_Hockey_Nutz said:

UFA's can still be signed in the coming days and weeks... this is not over yet

For sure, but it wasnt  a super good crop & I dont think we were ever really in on many of them. I am still (slightly) hopeful MB will make some non-boneheaded trades...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Regis22 said:

Did the Habs get better or are we banking on a lot of the guys who had sub par seasons to bounce back  and come back with the right attitude

and

Did any of the teams who made the playoffs last year get worse >?

This is a bad hockey club that has become progressively worse each year under MB .

There is nothing , except hope, to suggest , next year will  be better .

Colorado trade Duchene for futures, in theory that made them worse. 2016 Canadiens traded PK for Weber, in theory making them worse

The Habs did not get better, on paper they almost certainly got worse, but that doesn't mean they won't make the playoffs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, jwlk said:

I have been a habs fan my whole life. I know they cannot score. But there making it worse every year. I don't see price bouncing back. The team in front of him is horrible 

My thoughts also. Im guessing CP knows it too, hence the " attitude "

This has been a borderline PO team for years , the only thing making them a PO team is CP

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, East_Coast_Juggalo_13 said:

Anyone else get the impression that Bergevin acquiring Armia was to convince Kotkaniemi to play in MTL this season.  I’m game for a Finnish line of Lehkonen, Kotkaniemi, Armia.

If it is , MB is really pushing it .  Not like that line would light the league on fire

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, tony5775 said:

Daniel Carr also signs with Vegas. Bet you he has a great season.

So Carr isn't good enough for the high scoring habs, but good enough for the lowly Knights - makes sense.

  :5785:  (in lieu of head bashing into brick wall)

I'm starting to think Molson has financial problems. Why else would he be hanging on to MB?

And yes, add Carr's name to the growing list of ex-habs we'll be following and cheering for.  :6280:

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On the Plekanec trade: meh. We don't need him, I think it sets other players' development back (e.g. maybe Jake Evans doesn't make the squad because of this), and we overpaid for him when you compare his deal to other 35+ veterans. His bonuses are relatively easy to meet, so he'll make over 3M by the time this is done. Bad move, albeit the season is a write-off to begin with.

On Weber: I think the JT signing with Toronto is the best landing spot for us possible, in terms of now being able to pitch the Weber for Nylander plus deal, as well as maybe pushing San Jose to up their bid for Pacioretty. On Weber, the reasons I think he'll fetch more than just Nylander:

1. Weber is still widely thought of around the league as a top 10 defenceman. Look at the NHL players survey and how many players love him as a teammate. Babcock also loves him and I think would urge Dubas to overpay for him.

2. The D market is dry. Try finding big names available, other than Karlsson (who is attached to Ryan and not signed past this season). Doughty is off the market. As is OEL. Carlson too. And even Mike Green. The Leafs have desperately been looking for a right-handed D man who can quarterback a PP and play alongside Rielly. Not too many names that fit that bill. Supply and demand says if we make Weber available now, at a time when there's little competition, we can get a huge haul. Toronto doesn't have to be the only suitor. I think Edmonton will bid. Maybe Philly again. Maybe Minnesota. Maybe Buffalo. Maybe the Isles.

3. The Tavares signing, I think, really ups the ante for the Leafs to win now. Matthews and Marner and Kapanen and Carrick are all due raises next season. Big ones in the case of the first two. Gardiner is a UFA after next year. They'll get Marleau and Horton and Martin off the books in two years, but as it stands, they'll want to push to win in 2019. I've said this before, but if you're that close to contending, you pay extra to give you the last piece or two to push you to the top. You don't half-ass it. That's your window, you go all in, and the windows in the NHL these days are short because you just can't keep a team together in a cap era.

4. Nylander is already an RFA. Would be tough to pay him 4.5-5M now and then have to sort out the rest without addressing your D.

So I think if the Habs came along with a Weber for Nylander and a 1st and a prospect, they might not like it, but the alternative is getting a 2nd-tier guy. Those pieces don't mean much down the line if you blow your window now. I think we hold the power in this one. We're not forced to deal, but we can benefit from it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, rocketbelifleur said:

So Carr isn't good enough for the high scoring habs, but good enough for the lowly Knights - makes sense.

  :5785:  (in lieu of head bashing into brick wall)

I'm starting to think Molson has financial problems. Why else would he be hanging on to MB?

And yes, add Carr's name to the growing list of ex-habs we'll be following and cheering for.  :6280:

 

Either that or he isn't very bright.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

On the Plekanec trade: meh. We don't need him, I think it sets other players' development back (e.g. maybe Jake Evans doesn't make the squad because of this), and we overpaid for him when you compare his deal to other 35+ veterans. His bonuses are relatively easy to meet, so he'll make over 3M by the time this is done. Bad move, albeit the season is a write-off to begin with.

On Weber: I think the JT signing with Toronto is the best landing spot for us possible, in terms of now being able to pitch the Weber for Nylander plus deal, as well as maybe pushing San Jose to up their bid for Pacioretty. On Weber, the reasons I think he'll fetch more than just Nylander:

1. Weber is still widely thought of around the league as a top 10 defenceman. Look at the NHL players survey and how many players love him as a teammate. Babcock also loves him and I think would urge Dubas to overpay for him.

2. The D market is dry. Try finding big names available, other than Karlsson (who is attached to Ryan and not signed past this season). Doughty is off the market. As is OEL. Carlson too. And even Mike Green. The Leafs have desperately been looking for a right-handed D man who can quarterback a PP and play alongside Rielly. Not too many names that fit that bill. Supply and demand says if we make Weber available now, at a time when there's little competition, we can get a huge haul. Toronto doesn't have to be the only suitor. I think Edmonton will bid. Maybe Philly again. Maybe Minnesota. Maybe Buffalo. Maybe the Isles.

3. The Tavares signing, I think, really ups the ante for the Leafs to win now. Matthews and Marner and Kapanen and Carrick are all due raises next season. Big ones in the case of the first two. Gardiner is a UFA after next year. They'll get Marleau and Horton and Martin off the books in two years, but as it stands, they'll want to push to win in 2019. I've said this before, but if you're that close to contending, you pay extra to give you the last piece or two to push you to the top. You don't half-ass it. That's your window, you go all in, and the windows in the NHL these days are short because you just can't keep a team together in a cap era.

4. Nylander is already an RFA. Would be tough to pay him 4.5-5M now and then have to sort out the rest without addressing your D.

So I think if the Habs came along with a Weber for Nylander and a 1st and a prospect, they might not like it, but the alternative is getting a 2nd-tier guy. Those pieces don't mean much down the line if you blow your window now. I think we hold the power in this one. We're not forced to deal, but we can benefit from it.

Problem with that is MB will NOT let Weber go. Nor Price, nor Shaw, nor Alzner, nor Hemsky.

We are screwed. :blink:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

12 minutes ago, Habs=stanleycup said:

Problem with that is MB will NOT let Weber go. Nor Price, nor Shaw, nor Alzner, nor Hemsky.

We are screwed. :blink:

Well Hemsky is UFA so i think we're good on that, but the others, I agree.  I think he might move Alzner if there was a market, but i dont believe there is one.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, FireHabs said:

Well it’s good to have him finish his career in Montreal.  Maybe they can treat somebody the right way!  If it keeps up maybe we can sign some hockey players and stop giving them away all the time?

His career was over 2 years ago.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...