The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Rate Bergevin's Work Over The Past Year

Noob616

Rate Bergevin's Moves Over The Past Year  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Grade His Moves Since Oct 2017

4 hours ago, Graeme-1 said:

If the criteria is since Oct 2017, I'll give a "C". I know that sounds crazy, but think about it, in that time period he didn't: 

a.) trade our all-star defenseman for and older and less useful defenseman

b.) trade our best prospect to add another player at a position of strength

c.) play hardball with 2 important players and lose both of them

d.) Give a long-term 10.5 million contract to a 30 year-old, injury prone goaltender.

e.) Somehow screw up the draft

f.) Sign Karl Alzner

g.) Completely ignore the problems with our farm team. 

And he even got a 2nd rounder for Tomas Plekanec. Sure, the Galchenyk trade doesn't look great. But there's that saying about the best moves being the ones you don't make, and Bergevin didn't do any of the above in that time period.

I agree with this as stated. The draft was actually good and the Galchenyk trade though I didn't like it is to be determined as Domi may do well here. Anyway the whole point is this thread is since Oct. 2017. So Subban or Eller or anything else outside of this time period shouldn't be considered as hard as it may be. Or rename the thread.

1 hour ago, CaptWelly said:

I agree with this as stated. The draft was actually good and the Galchenyk trade though I didn't like it is to be determined as Domi may do well here. Anyway the whole point is this thread is since Oct. 2017. So Subban or Eller or anything else outside of this time period shouldn't be considered as hard as it may be. Or rename the thread.

Yeah that was my intention for the thread but I think for a lot of people it's impossible to separate the two. I guess you could argue that the only reason MB has had to make generally good decisions of firing coaches and replacing with a new staff and drafting well with a #3 pick are because of his past mistakes, but I kinda intended the thread to just be about the last 8-12 months or so. 

1 hour ago, Noob616 said:

Yeah that was my intention for the thread but I think for a lot of people it's impossible to separate the two. I guess you could argue that the only reason MB has had to make generally good decisions of firing coaches and replacing with a new staff and drafting well with a #3 pick are because of his past mistakes, but I kinda intended the thread to just be about the last 8-12 months or so. 

Even over the last 12 months he's done some brutal work.

- Sergachev for Drouin (ok that was 13 months ago)
- Not resigning Markov or filling the hole that he left
- Not resigning Radulov or filling the hole that he left
- Signed Alzner
- Signed Streit
- Signed Hemsky

- Devalued a whole bunch of players including his 2 biggest trade chips (Galchenyuk & Pacioretty)
- Said "blame me" and then threw everyone else under the bus. 

I agree that since the end of the regular season he has only made one move that is of major concern but aside from the Armia move, there hasnt been a whole lot of "wow, that was a really good move."  I agree that doing nothing is better than doing something bad, but he's dug himself such a big hole that doing nothing is still pretty bad in its own rights. 

So for this offseason on, I rate him a D.  if we're talking last 12 months, i change my vote from a D to an F. 

This is by no means a complete list, but here are some of the lies Bergevin and company have told us:

- I will not trade PK Subban. I am not trying to trade PK Subban. (Subban then traded)

- This isn't Michel Therrien's fault. If you want to blame someone, you should blame Marc Bergevin. (Therrien fired, Bergevin still here)

- We want players here who hate to lose. We want players with good character. (trades for Shaw, Drouin, etc.)

- I can't tell you why I had to trade for John Scott (discussing the John Scott trade. Still waiting for the "reasons")

- Carey has a minor injury, he'll be back in a week (nope)

- Carey's injury was a little worse than we thought, but he'll be back this year (still nope)

- Our goal is to make the playoffs, we will be competitive this season (forgot to mention Shea Weber is out for 6 months, #transparency)

- We made Radulov the same offer as Dallas (Radulov and certain media reports say the offer was only upped after Radulov told MB he had accepted the Stars' offer)

- Markov wanted a two-year contract (Markov says he initially wanted 2 but told MB he was willing to take 1; he also says he only left because of how MB mistreated him)

- Younger players need to prove themselves before we give them a long-term contract (applied to Eller and Subban and Galchenyuk, but apparently not to the likes of Gallagher, who didn't have to take a bridge deal; also trades for Drouin, who had accomplished less than AG and yet got a long-term deal before stepping on the ice here)

- I am not willing to trade any of out top prospects (shortly after, he said bye bye Sergachev)

- It's hard to make trades (hmmm)

- The players had a bad attitude (Joe Morrow actually called him out on this and said Bergevin had no clue what was happening in the room)

Anyways, just a partial list, but a flavor of why I don't trust anything that comes out of this man's mouth.

27 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

This is by no means a complete list, but here are some of the lies Bergevin and company have told us:

- I will not trade PK Subban. I am not trying to trade PK Subban. (Subban then traded)

- This isn't Michel Therrien's fault. If you want to blame someone, you should blame Marc Bergevin. (Therrien fired, Bergevin still here)

- We want players here who hate to lose. We want players with good character. (trades for Shaw, Drouin, etc.)

- I can't tell you why I had to trade for John Scott (discussing the John Scott trade. Still waiting for the "reasons")

- Carey has a minor injury, he'll be back in a week (nope)

- Carey's injury was a little worse than we thought, but he'll be back this year (still nope)

- Our goal is to make the playoffs, we will be competitive this season (forgot to mention Shea Weber is out for 6 months, #transparency)

- We made Radulov the same offer as Dallas (Radulov and certain media reports say the offer was only upped after Radulov told MB he had accepted the Stars' offer)

- Markov wanted a two-year contract (Markov says he initially wanted 2 but told MB he was willing to take 1; he also says he only left because of how MB mistreated him)

- Younger players need to prove themselves before we give them a long-term contract (applied to Eller and Subban and Galchenyuk, but apparently not to the likes of Gallagher, who didn't have to take a bridge deal; also trades for Drouin, who had accomplished less than AG and yet got a long-term deal before stepping on the ice here)

- I am not willing to trade any of out top prospects (shortly after, he said bye bye Sergachev)

- The players had a bad attitude (Joe Morrow actually called him out on this and said Bergevin had no clue what was happening in the room)

Anyways, just a partial list, but a flavor of why I don't trust anything that comes out of this man's mouth.

A very good highlited compilation of MB's failures although not the complete list.

What bothers me the most is that the foxhole mentality continues between him & Molson; it's an adversarial, dishonest and condescending attitude towards the fans and against most hockey experts.

If Molson is willing to gamble his alliance with Bergevin against the fanbase, he will be the sorest loser in the end.

45 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Because he's always trading from a position of weakness . Other GM's knew he wanted to get rid of PK, AG and now MAx . Instead of trying to build up the player you're trying to trade , he continually says negative things . Dumb butt ! 

8 minutes ago, Habs=stanleycup said:

A very good highlited compilation of MB's failures although not the complete list.

What bothers me the most is that the foxhole mentality continues between him & Molson; it's an adversarial, dishonest and condescending attitude towards the fans and against most hockey experts.

If Molson is willing to gamble his alliance with Bergevin against the fanbase, he will be the sorest loser in the end.

The longer Molson keeps Bergevin around the more stupid he's gonna look.

11 hours ago, maas_art said:

- Signed Alzner
- Signed Streit
- Signed Hemsky

- Devalued a whole bunch of players including his 2 biggest trade chips (Galchenyuk & Pacioretty)

I agree that since the end of the regular season he has only made one move that is of major concern but aside from the Armia move, there hasnt been a whole lot of "wow, that was a really good move."  I agree that doing nothing is better than doing something bad, but he's dug himself such a big hole that doing nothing is still pretty bad in its own rights. 

So for this offseason on, I rate him a D.  if we're talking last 12 months, i change my vote from a D to an F. 

In addition to the Armia move, I also liked his Plekanec rental move, I guess I'm fine with the Kotkaniemi decision, and I'm fine with the move of bringing Plekanec back especially if we can rent him out again.  Alzner falls out of the 12 month period I think, but that was a large fail that will hopefully be over by the time we emerge from our rebuild (along with Shaw).

The only reason I'm trading Pacioretty is because we need picks and prospects. If he stays with Montreal, he'll only score goals and slow down the rebuild.

We still have 3-4 very attractive roster pieces: Pacioretty, Weber, Price and Gallagher.  I'd love to keep Gallagher and make him the new captain, but regardless, we need to get some real value back for our big chips.

IF Kotkaniemi develops into the C they think he will be . Based on past drafts we'll have to see , this organization hasn't been very good at doing that

bringing Plekanec back especially IF we can rent him out again. Personally even if they are able to trade him at the deadline will it make a difference . The two guys they got from the Leafs will probably IMO end up in Laval

I'd love to keep Gallagher and make him the new captain.Ugh worst Captain in the history of the Team

- Signed Alzner
- Signed Streit
- Signed Hemsky

Ya starting from October skips a whole lot of badness last summer.  I actually kind of liked the Hemsky signing at the time for what it was, and the Streit signing was at least intriguing for all its desperateness (and neither one were high risk). But the rest hurt ...

Was that only a year ago? The days of Bergevin accepting any responsibility seem like so long ago.

Ya doing nothing is a bit easier to justify if your the Jets GM. I like that Bergevin is willing to take some risks, but does he have to keep taking such stupid ones?

2 minutes ago, habby67 said:

I cannot believe some people voted A??!!!

1 person ... could it be

a.) Marc Bergevin is a member of the forums?

b.) Geoff Molson is a member of the forums?

c.) ironic vote; or

d.) fat-fingerred vote

The things that puzzle me are if suddenly this year's draft picks pan out and some trades go in our favour (for once) then why all of a sudden is he finding a recipe for success? The fear of losing your job? So what, the first bunch of years were practice? Or you weren't taking it seriously enough Sounds like a teenager who you threaten punishment over and over again when they don't clean their room....

3 hours ago, Regis22 said:

IF Kotkaniemi develops into the C they think he will be . Based on past drafts we'll have to see , this organization hasn't been very good at doing that

bringing Plekanec back especially IF we can rent him out again. Personally even if they are able to trade him at the deadline will it make a difference . The two guys they got from the Leafs will probably IMO end up in Laval

I'd love to keep Gallagher and make him the new captain.Ugh worst Captain in the history of the Team

Yeah the leading scorer on your team who outworks everyone else on the ice would make a bad choice for captain.

8 hours ago, Windoe said:

Yeah the leading scorer on your team who outworks everyone else on the ice would make a bad choice for captain.

don't care . Not captain material for the Montreal Canadiens 

7 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

don't care . Not captain material for the Montreal Canadiens 

So what exactly is captain material?? 

The hardest working player should be the captain, he does everything the team could ask for and would be a perfect example for future players.  Hard work pays off

13 hours ago, Windoe said:

In addition to the Armia move, I also liked his Plekanec rental move, I guess I'm fine with the Kotkaniemi decision, and I'm fine with the move of bringing Plekanec back especially if we can rent him out again.  Alzner falls out of the 12 month period I think, but that was a large fail that will hopefully be over by the time we emerge from our rebuild (along with Shaw).

Yes, sorry I was only keying in on his bad work because I was trying to show the volume.  Definitely he did some good things - Armia, Plekanec, I liked Reilly for a 5th also - just no where near as much as the bad stuff. 

12 hours ago, Graeme-1 said:

Ya doing nothing is a bit easier to justify if your the Jets GM. I like that Bergevin is willing to take some risks, but does he have to keep taking such stupid ones?

I would argue they havent even been "risky" trades, they've just been downright bad.   Lets back up to the subban deal. If MB felt like our window to win was then, then moving SUbban for a guy like Weber  AND Mike Fisher, maybe one other vet - makes some sense.  You are saying: we'll give up a little in years but Weber can take up most of the slack of Subban for a couple of years.  We'll then fill some of our other holes with guys like Fisher, or James Neal etc.  Boston did this in the Joe Thornton trade.  They traded 1 great player for several good players, fleshed out their roster & won a cup.   Instead we gave up a better asset, 1 for 1.  Not risky, just stupid.

Likewise Galchenyuk.  AG is the more proven commodity, the flashy player, the better goal scorer.  I can see acquiring Domi + pick or Domi + a prospect - that would be a risky move but calculated.  1 for 1 its dumb.  Even if Domi ends up being the better player, at the time of the deal, we traded a loonie for three quarters.

A risky move was Drouin for Sergachev - but not from our standpoint - it was risky for Tampa, who was giving up a known commodity for a very high end prospect.  So far it looks like they won on that gamble. 

2 hours ago, 26NCounting said:

So what exactly is captain material?? 

The hardest working player should be the captain, he does everything the team could ask for and would be a perfect example for future players.  Hard work pays off

No one on the current Habs except maybe Weber or Price

I d rather not have a captain go before reporters and whine about a player on another team

15 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

I d rather not have a captain go before reporters and whine about a player on another team

I might have been on board with gallagher if it wasnt for that debacle. that was embarrassing. imagine that was reversed, and how slaughtered p.k would have been in the media and don cherry and everyone about how selfish and childish that game and those comments were.

29 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

12 minutes ago, jeff33 said:

I might have been on board with gallagher if it wasnt for that debacle. that was embarrassing. imagine that was reversed, and how slaughtered p.k would have been in the media and don cherry and everyone about how selfish and childish that game and those comments were.

Captain is a tricky thing because i really have no idea how much affect it has or how good someone is behind closed doors. Gallagher is a fierce competitor but i agree i have reservations about having him as captain.  That said, Weber has won the Messier leadership award and continually ranks in those player-voted polls, so you have to think he's the logical choice assuming MB wont trade him.

I do like the suggestion that BigTed made of Danault.  He's a hard worker, skilled enough, plays a 2 way game and tends to shoot from the hip.   Additionally he's french which cant hurt.  

• H_T_L locked this topic