The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Rate Bergevin's Work Over The Past Year

Noob616

Rate Bergevin's Moves Over The Past Year  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Grade His Moves Since Oct 2017

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

I would argue they havent even been "risky" trades, they've just been downright bad.   Lets back up to the subban deal. If MB felt like our window to win was then, then moving SUbban for a guy like Weber  AND Mike Fisher, maybe one other vet - makes some sense.  You are saying: we'll give up a little in years but Weber can take up most of the slack of Subban for a couple of years.  We'll then fill some of our other holes with guys like Fisher, or James Neal etc.  Boston did this in the Joe Thornton trade.  They traded 1 great player for several good players, fleshed out their roster & won a cup.   Instead we gave up a better asset, 1 for 1.  Not risky, just stupid.

Likewise Galchenyuk.  AG is the more proven commodity, the flashy player, the better goal scorer.  I can see acquiring Domi + pick or Domi + a prospect - that would be a risky move but calculated.  1 for 1 its dumb.  Even if Domi ends up being the better player, at the time of the deal, we traded a loonie for three quarters.

A risky move was Drouin for Sergachev - but not from our standpoint - it was risky for Tampa, who was giving up a known commodity for a very high end prospect.  So far it looks like they won on that gamble. 

I'll personally agree on he Weber trade, although there are people who think in the short-term Weber was a better dman gave us a better shot at a cup (I don't agree with that perspective, but if someone does, Weber for Subban 1-1 can be defended as trading an older but better player for a younger but inferior player). So I guess I see this more as bad talent evaluation than anything - MB didn't seem to realize what we had in Subban.

On the Galchenyk trade, I think it might more be the case where we have something we think is worth a loonie but the market is telling us it's only worth 3 quarters. If that's true, I'd have just held onto Galchenyk, but Domi does have enough upside for me to kind of understand the gamble. I don't like it, but plenty of trades in history look bad that end up working out (if MB had a better track record I might give him the benefit of the doubt on this one).

Drouin for Sergachev was absolutely a gamble from our end - unless you're trading an 18 year old Sidney Crosby, the chance prospects are a full or partial bust is always a consideration in their trade value (otherwise trading Sergachev is basically the same as trading PK Subban, and absolutely no one here would have supported a Subban for Drouin deal). And to add, it's not like Drouin was a fully known commodity after a couple NHL seasons - a big part of that deal was the hope he'd continue to improve. The deal looks fairly bad in early hindsight due to Sergachev's early success and Drouin not improving on his prior season, and a GMs job is to win more of those than he loses. However, many people defended it at the time, and I maintain the biggest issue with it was it didn't address a clear need (were Drouin a natural center, I'd probably defend the trade as a smart gamble we lost), along with the fact that related moves in the past year meant defense was no longer a position of strength for us. 

Not that I like any of those trades, my main point was just that I dislike when GMs are afraid to make trades because they worry about criticism if they lose. But the trades need to be smart ones with proper upside (Johansen for Jones is a trade kind of like Drouin for Sergachev that made sense since Nashville traded a prospect from a position of strength for a younger player at a position of need).

I gave Bergy a -B. Despite some big trades (PK,  Drouin, Galchenyuk) I think Bergevin is a rather cautious GM and if I am assessing him since the fall I think he has done a good job on the return for and resigning of Plecky, and a bad job continuing with our AHL staff although this has now been rectified and an excellent job getting and amassing draft picks.

The signing of Jerabek was a good gamble, but the signing of Streit was a joke. Hemsky and Schlemko were useless, The Galchenyuk trade is a bit of  a wash (I would give that a -B) Alzner has to be better but gave us about 25% of what we needed. I would give him a  -D.

While his management wasn't great the injuries really hurt. When you lose two all stars in Price and Weber it is tough to improve. I haven't liked the number of newcomers that have been coming into the organisation every year and think it doesn't help team chemistry. We appear to be rectifying this now with more  and more prospects coming up within the organization +B. I like the deal for Armia but thought we could get something for Carr. 

The two things Bergevin has been very successful at is getting us picks and having a large amount of cash for signing players (of course it would be nice if he used it).

Our budget

4 hours ago, Habberwacky said:

The two things Bergevin has been very successful at is getting us picks and having a large amount of cash for signing players (of course it would be nice if he used it).

That large amount of cash is gonna be sitting there for quite a while until we have a team capable of attracting good free agents. Unless of course MB signs some 35 year old has beens to lucrative contracts just to say to the fans "Look, I'm trying."

sorry for the late reply, and in being late, reading most of your posts I'll try to stay objective to my own opinion, for I have read many good and bad reasons to (dis)like him.

how has MB done this last year? ..

quite well actually .. he is taking good care of himself, .. and seems to be planning ahead.

although this is about t the last year or so, I can't seem to shake that he has strayed from a contender to a there's nothing left team.

the only way he now can go is up. hauling in prospect's like it's Christmas Eve, and now saying we need 3-5 years to develop.

how long is he signed for? .. he's already leaning towards an extension by convincing Molson & Montreal that this team will only be good right after he signs another term. - so from his personal point of view, he'll be running towards an A or B.

as for the team, he has not done much more than anyone else in his position, picking a lot of picks, and I'm sorry, but with the cap MTL has left, I still believe he could have done something more.

he in one way or another is trying to convince us of something we already knew (the team is not well), and blames everything on something or someone else. he still does, hence the T-shirts. miracle on ice is what you look for when you do not have talent, talented players come with certain attitude, they can afford to.

anyway, all in a nutshell, I'll go for an E, as he has done nothing more than speculate.

i will say though, that coaching may improve due to the last signings, but that too will have to be seen.

2 hours ago, Habberwacky said:

Dannault at years for 3 per is not bad. I thought he would have got a little more considering Shaw and Alzner but maybe Bergy is figuring it out. Or perhaps he is low balling his french talent.

Phillip Danault just completed the second year of his two-year bridge deal that paid him on average $912,000. This new contract gives him a significant raise, to $3.083 million and secures one year of unrestricted free agency.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/24189603/nhl-rebuild-rankings-which-teams-closest-returning-stanley-cup-contention

Yes, it's true they're going to be a bit younger, and landing Kotkaniemi in the draft might give the Canadiens the center that has eluded them. (He has been compared to everyone from Ryan O'Reilly to Anze Kopitar.) But look no further than Cayden Primeau and Charlie Lindgren as the encapsulation of Montreal's plight: They're arguably two of the team's top 10 prospects (even though Lindgren is 24), but they're both goalies and therefore stuck behind a guy signed through 2026 at $10.5 million against the cap.

On tsn today: JvR thankful for Leafs' clarity before July 1

Essentially it says that Toronto manned up and and told JVR, with plenty of lead time, that they would not be resigning him.  He was able to get his head clear, consider what he wanted & move on with the flyers.    

This is in stark contrast to how MB handles things:  Here's my offer, take it or leave it. I dont care if you played with us for 16 years. If i wanted loyalty id get a dog. 

What dark times we live in when the leafs seem to be doing everything right & we are just terrible at every aspect of building a team. 

7 hours ago, maas_art said:

On tsn today: JvR thankful for Leafs' clarity before July 1

Essentially it says that Toronto manned up and and told JVR, with plenty of lead time, that they would not be resigning him.  He was able to get his head clear, consider what he wanted & move on with the flyers.    

This is in stark contrast to how MB handles things:  Here's my offer, take it or leave it. I dont care if you played with us for 16 years. If i wanted loyalty id get a dog. 

What dark times we live in when the leafs seem to be doing everything right & we are just terrible at every aspect of building a team. 

Show players respect and word will get out. Other players will want to come and play here. Unfortunately, MB has been exactly the opposite: arrogant towards fans, media, and players alike. Here we are as a result.

2 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Show players respect and word will get out. Other players will want to come and play here. Unfortunately, MB has been exactly the opposite: arrogant towards fans, media, and players alike. Here we are as a result.

Yup, and yet our hapless owner backs Bergevin up 100%. A disgusting mess.

They deserve each other but they certainly don`t deserve to own and manage our CH.

Amateur hour in Habs Nation. 

• 1 month later...

Attitude........

Truth be told, it’s entirely possible the Habs will end up being worse, and that may not be all that bad for the long-term health of the organization. But the Habs, who have said on multiple occasions they’re aiming to make the playoffs, are either lying or mentally ill on a systemic level right now. They need help, and no one Bergevin acquired is in a position to give it.

If they’re just lying, so be it, but it’s hard to give out a grade based on what you think someone is trying to accomplish. Intentions are hard to predict, much like most everything else. Bergevin probably knows that already, though. He’s had six offseasons of practice (and everything in between). This one was unfortunately par for the course.

1 hour ago, Regis22 said:

Attitude........

Truth be told, it’s entirely possible the Habs will end up being worse, and that may not be all that bad for the long-term health of the organization. But the Habs, who have said on multiple occasions they’re aiming to make the playoffs, are either lying or mentally ill on a systemic level right now. They need help, and no one Bergevin acquired is in a position to give it.

If they’re just lying, so be it, but it’s hard to give out a grade based on what you think someone is trying to accomplish. Intentions are hard to predict, much like most everything else. Bergevin probably knows that already, though. He’s had six offseasons of practice (and everything in between). This one was unfortunately par for the course.

I'm fine with being bad for 1-2 years more if it helps us take shots at Hughes and Lafreniere and be good in the medium-to-long term. The problem is that MB's actions say he isn't doing this. If Bergevin believed we were re-tooling, he would have traded Price and Pacioretty and be looking to trade Weber upon his return. He wouldn't have re-signed Plekanec to take ice time away from younger guys. I think there simply isn't a plan. It's one move for this plan and two moves for another plan and then one move back the other way. No order. And certainly no respect for fans or players as he does this.

7 hours ago, maas_art said:

Even Serge Savard has criticism for him...

You lie to fans. You disrespect players. You trade away all the fan favorites. You get older, slower, and less skilled. You have old guys signed to long-term deals. You've sat back on your friends as coaches for too long and crippled the development system. Not a lot to like about the mess Bergevin has created, This year's draft will help down the line, but it's several years of misery to undo what he's done, and most importantly, he blew a solid Cup window that we'll never get back.

• H_T_L locked this topic