Larry-Launstein-Jr

State Of The Habs 2018-19

1,809 posts in this topic

Nice pic: Heckle and Jeckle running the show in Habsland.

hkn-canadiens-wrap-201804092.jpg?quality=80&strip=all&w=840&h=630&crop=1

Image result for heckle and jeckle

19 hours ago, Habs=stanleycup said:

Image result for heckle and jeckle

The look on Molson's face ... "but MB told me PK for Weber straight up was a steal for us ... what do you mean he's older and slower?"

MB's face "Stop bringing up facts to Mr Molson!"

Definitely believe Hudon can break out. He's got 25-goal potential IMO. I think Lehkonen will also be better, I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up between 18-24 goals.

That said, even though we have adequate wingers, we have too little down the middle or on D. FWIW, nhl.com just ranked us 31st and dead last in their power rankings.

4 hours ago, HabsAlways said:

The look on Molson's face ... "but MB told me PK for Weber straight up was a steal for us ... what do you mean he's older and slower?"

MB's face "Stop bringing up facts to Mr Molson!"

:4224:

Also their resemblances are an uncanny caricature, and fit very well with the whole new attitude is what will make us win paradox.

It`s so foxholish, it reeks of similarity. :blink:

Edited by Habs=stanleycup

On 7/17/2018 at 9:53 PM, Habs=stanleycup said:

Molson just saw the Habs ranking on NHL.com. Yeah Geoff, we're 31!!

The state of the habs in not entirely bad they could have a decent lineup with a few changes.

1 Get rid of Bergevin he has not found a number 1 center in 6 years he isn't going to.

2 Make a Blockbuster trade using Pacioretty and Weber to land a reliable number one defenseman and a draft pick or 2

3 Make an offer to free agent William Nylander of the leafs he will not get the chance to be a number one center in Toronto so he may be interested in a change in scenery to      get that spot

with all of these changes the playoffs are not out of the question with the rest of the lineup remaining the same

Has Nylander been playing center in Toronto?

If a team were to "offer sheet" him I'm assuming it would be in the range of $4-6 million. The return for Toronto would be a 1st and 3rd. I'm pretty sure Toronto would just elect to match that offer and keep Nylander.

1 hour ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Has Nylander been playing center in Toronto?

If a team were to "offer sheet" him I'm assuming it would be in the range of $4-6 million. The return for Toronto would be a 1st and 3rd. I'm pretty sure Toronto would just elect to match that offer and keep Nylander.

Yeah, i honestly cant see a scenario where an offer sheet ever really works.  There are just too many variables.

Nylander has mostly played wing at the NHL level but has shown he's a competent centre. I think that if Bergevin wasnt so stubborn you could easily build a deal around Weber for Nylander (other pieces included almost certainly) because right now, Toronto is on the cusp of being a cup favourite.  Put a #1D on that roster, and they probably are the cup favourite right now.  

Maybe, if Price stands on his head & we look ok without Weber till decemeber, Bergevin will consider it?  Probably not. 

8 hours ago, campabee82 said:

The state of the habs in not entirely bad they could have a decent lineup with a few changes.

1 Get rid of Bergevin he has not found a number 1 center in 6 years he isn't going to.

2 Make a Blockbuster trade using Pacioretty and Weber to land a reliable number one defenseman and a draft pick or 2

3 Make an offer to free agent William Nylander of the leafs he will not get the chance to be a number one center in Toronto so he may be interested in a change in scenery to      get that spot

with all of these changes the playoffs are not out of the question with the rest of the lineup remaining the same

I would consider the season a failure if the Habs don't finish in 31st place. All the hard work by Bergevin and Molson would be for nought.

We will need a lot of grit character and Carey to survive the start but if we can get towards mid November in descent shape I  think we will be in a competitive state the rest of the way. If Carey cannot carry the load for the first month and a half it will be curtains which is too bad. So the mentality of the coaches at the start of the year will be interesting. Do they stick with experience early to try and get a grasp on things (although that failed miserably last year) or do we see what we have.  I think we need to let Patches go before the start of the year for this (and some other reasons) reason. He helped to set what appeared to be an awful tone for the season last year  along with some others. Julien cannot afford to let that happen again because Bergy cannot fire himself yet. If we are healthy we are too good to miss the playoffs. (sorry NHL prognosticators but Rags , Sens  and a few others will ensure that.

I understand that the leafs would have the opportunity to counter offer on any Nylander offer sheet and would love to keep him however I am not entirely sure they could match the offer especially after landing Tavares contract so there is that and Nylander has a faceoff wining percentage of about 52% so yes he is a competent center and we all know he has first line skill so the real question is does Bergevin have the brains and fortitude to make the team better or does he slink back into the shadows and keep the team on the downward spiral it's on and miss the playoffs again!!!!

Also if you were to trade Weber for Nylander and that works out then the only Patciorety trade option would be for a number one dman

10 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

Also if you were to trade Weber for Nylander and that works out then the only Patciorety trade option would be for a number one dman

I read this from Puck Daddy:

"Saw something on TSN the other day that the Canadiens and Senators may be able to solve each other’s problems by just trading their captains.

Obviously that couldn’t be a 1-for-1 deal because Erik Karlsson has a lot more value than Max Pacioretty, but it’s, uhh, intriguing for sure. With Shea Weber out until December, the Habs need a high-end defender and they don’t come much higher-end than Karlsson. And while the Senators would probably want a defenseman in addition to some scoring pop, there aren’t many guys who score at the rate Pacioretty does.

But could this actually work? The Senators would, once again, be kicking the can down the road because much like Karlsson and Kyle Turris before him, Pacioretty would want big money next summer and why would anyone on earth choose to tether themselves to this franchise long-term? Can you imagine if the Sens traded a generational talent for a good goalscorer who would almost certainly want out immediately?

Plus, for the Habs, why on earth would Karlsson sign there after this season? And are the Habs on Karlsson’s no-trade list? (Pacioretty doesn’t have any trade protection, not that he cares too much right now, you figure.)

You’re just swapping problems to divisional rivals in what are almost certain to be lost seasons for the respective franchises. It’s an interesting idea but that doesn’t mean it’s a good one for either team. Which, hey, given how these teams are run, is why it’s probably going to happen."

Bold is mine.

Who knows,,,, stranger things have happened. 

Problem with trading captains is there is no way that the sens  want Karlson to play in the same conference let alone the same division. I don't see the habs wanting that with Paciorety either

Edited by campabee82

Any way you look at it the season could work out to be a winner if we could get a center somewhere, Price can stay healthy and we can get a reliable dman. The rest of the lineup has the talent to be playoff bound if we can get what we need. Those are huge if's but it's not entirely impossible. I also think that if Price wants to stay in Montreal he is going to have to work out his recent injury plague quickly

59 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

Problem with trading captains is there is no way that the sens  want Karlson to play in the same conference let alone the same division. I don't see the habs wanting that with Paciorety either

Karlson wants out (or the Sens can't afford him), and everyone knows that Max will be traded. Weber is over the hill, and Karlson "could" be our saviour to get out of the last place rankings.

8 hours ago, campabee82 said:

Any way you look at it the season could work out to be a winner if we could get a center somewhere, Price can stay healthy and we can get a reliable dman. The rest of the lineup has the talent to be playoff bound if we can get what we need. Those are huge if's but it's not entirely impossible. I also think that if Price wants to stay in Montreal he is going to have to work out his recent injury plague quickly

This team needs more than " a " centre , it needs a couple  . And the D still s*cks . Even putting those pieces in place what do you have , you have team that will need to fight or the final playoff spot . Just screw it and suck all year , gt a top pick next year and build properly

7 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

Karlson wants out (or the Sens can't afford him), and everyone knows that Max will be traded. Weber is over the hill, and Karlson "could" be our saviour to get out of the last place rankings.

I get that Karlson wants out and Paciorety will be traded but in todays NHL there is not a whole lot of trading going on within the divisions because of the tight playoff races. No team wants to be out of the playoffs because of a guy they traded within the division. I would love to see a deal for Karlson and Paciorety there are just two problems there. The first being like I said trading within the division doesn't happen that often and the second is Bergevin doesn't really make GOOD trades. The Suban for Weber trade was the second worst trade in Habs history only to the Roy for Thibault

9 hours ago, campabee82 said:

I understand that the leafs would have the opportunity to counter offer on any Nylander offer sheet and would love to keep him however I am not entirely sure they could match the offer especially after landing Tavares contract so there is that and Nylander has a faceoff wining percentage of about 52% so yes he is a competent center and we all know he has first line skill so the real question is does Bergevin have the brains and fortitude to make the team better or does he slink back into the shadows and keep the team on the downward spiral it's on and miss the playoffs again!!!!

Toronto has more cap space than we do right now.

Yeah, sure... Matthews is going to get a massive extension starting next season, but that gives them an entire season to figure out their cap situation. No one is going to get Nylander with an offer sheet unless the contract is way, way over-valued.

7 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

the only way I do this is if Karlson will sign before the trade and that will mean I will need to dump some salary to make it happen Like offer up Alzner beside Patches and if that was the case likely another roster player and draft pick or prospect. The big question is would Karlson want to signs here.

3 minutes ago, Habberwacky said:

Like offer up Alzner beside Patches and if that was the case likely another roster player and draft pick or prospect. The big question is would Karlson want to signs here.

LOL. you're going to need to offer way more than that. Alzer is like  ' here take this off our hands "

Alzner is

5 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

This team needs more than " a " centre , it needs a couple  . And the D still s*cks . Even putting those pieces in place what do you have , you have team that will need to fight or the final playoff spot . Just screw it and suck all year , gt a top pick next year and build properly

Ok don't know what your talking about the Habs already have great young talent in Hudon, Lindgren, and Mete. Karlson would add valued experience on defense and a number one center would provide much needed offense not to mention being able to start with the puck more often which is key to nay good offense. the role players could get a bit bigger but the acquisition of Armia and Domi provide scoring depth. if the Habs could land Karlson then I see him playing with Mete and Petry splitting time along side Juulsen/Shlemko and Alzner and Benn stay together that D would be a top defense in the NHL on paper anyway.  If the Habs could land a number one center then Drouin could move back to the wing where he is better suited and the best line combo could be as follows (for presentation we will use Karlson and Nylander filling in the spots as examples)

Drouin-Nylander-Gallagher

Domi-Danault-Armia

Byron-Plekanec-Hudon

Lehkonen-De La Rose-Shaw (Lehkonen would be interchangeable between top 3 lines to create options)

Karlson-Mete

Petry-Juulsen/Shlemko

Alzner-Benn

Price

Niemi

cant say that team won't make the playoffs

18 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Toronto has more cap space than we do right now.

Yeah, sure... Matthews is going to get a massive extension starting next season, but that gives them an entire season to figure out their cap situation. No one is going to get Nylander with an offer sheet unless the contract is way, way over-valued.

Yeah I saw Toronto had more cap space and it would be hard to sign Nylander as a free agent as a result so maybe a trade would work but I doubt the leafs would even go for that.

42 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

Ok don't know what your talking about the Habs already have great young talent in Hudon, Lindgren, and Mete. Karlson would add valued experience on defense and a number one center would provide much needed offense not to mention being able to start with the puck more often which is key to nay good offense. the role players could get a bit bigger but the acquisition of Armia and Domi provide scoring depth. if the Habs could land Karlson then I see him playing with Mete and Petry splitting time along side Juulsen/Shlemko and Alzner and Benn stay together that D would be a top defense in the NHL on paper anyway.  If the Habs could land a number one center then Drouin could move back to the wing where he is better suited and the best line combo could be as follows (for presentation we will use Karlson and Nylander filling in the spots as examples)

Drouin-Nylander-Gallagher

Domi-Danault-Armia

Byron-Plekanec-Hudon

Lehkonen-De La Rose-Shaw (Lehkonen would be interchangeable between top 3 lines to create options)

Karlson-Mete

Petry-Juulsen/Shlemko

Alzner-Benn

Price

Niemi

cant say that team won't make the playoffs

I still think that line-up is pretty bad. Nothing to say yet whether Nylander can step into a 1C role, he's been protected in the Leafs line-up and hasn't had to take on the top dog spot. and then going down the rest of the center ice position, Danault (ideally a 3C), Plekanec (ideally a 4C), and DLR (a 4C at best) are all likely to be asked to do more than they're capable of. Even with Nylander, the middle of the ice is awful. The wingers are fine, but after all is said and done, we've dealt away our best scorers and are left with a collection of undersized puck distributors and no pure snipers. And on D, Karlsson-Petry would pack a fantastic 1-2 punch, but no matter how good your top 2 is, you're going to give up scoring chances and goals if you plan on playing Alzner, Benn, and Schlemko. Juulsen and Mete, while promising, still need to prove they can reproduce what they did last year and still need to show they can play a full year in the top 4. And Price, already having played like he was distracted last year, is now expecting a second kid and really has to prove he can bounce back too.

So sure, some decent players to build around, but unfortunately, way too many holes in the line-up in key positions and way too many question marks in others.