Larry-Launstein-Jr

State Of The Habs 2018-19

1,456 posts in this topic

Giving up scoring chances by a 2 to 1 margin.  

I am really impressed with what this team has accomplished this year. Even when they are struggling or falling behind in games their tenacity and desire to win keeps them fro giving up unlike in past years. The style of play and level of intensity this year has made for some very very entertaining hockey. I hope that we make the playoffs so that we can see just how far that determination and intensity can carry them. I believe deep down that if we can make the playoffs this season we have a great shot of making it to the second round, anything after that would just be a bonus. Thank you to all the players who have made this a season to remember when all the stats and projections said we couldn't compete with the best yous have not only quieted them but also proved them all wrong. Keep up the good hard work and we will go far.

Failure to follow up on their fast start.  

Gah that game against Flyers.    Outshot them heavily through the first period and most of the 2nd ... dominated the play.    Then collapsed.    Real pity since it would have put them ahead of Laughs in standins :P

2 hours ago, HabsAlways said:

Gah that game against Flyers.    Outshot them heavily through the first period and most of the 2nd ... dominated the play.    Then collapsed.    Real pity since it would have put them ahead of Laughs in standins :P

Hmmm maybe the key is to not outshoot our opponents?

I thought Hudon had a strong game last night, with a few scoring chances. If i'm CJ,,,, he plays vs the Yotes.

9 hours ago, CaptWelly said:

Hmmm maybe the key is to not outshoot our opponents?

I think so too...a lot of our shots are half-hearted attempts,,seems like

Another big miscue from the Habs in terms of their treatment of fans today... went to their skills competition, which was stated as starting at 10AM. What happened? They brought out 8 year-old kids and had them play a full three-period game over about 35 minutes. Then they played a bunch of video clips, many of which you can already find on line and even zambonied the ice twice. Once before and once after the Habs' players came out for a 5 minute warm-up skate. So the actual skills competition and seeing the players do things didn't actually get going until maybe 11:45. Not only a terrible waste of fans' time, but a real lowlife move when you have so many young kids in the audience. Most of us there got the feeling this wasn't about the fans. It was about adding a little more revenue to the coffers, maybe moreso for concessions since the tickets weren't a bomb. It was about misleading fans by printing 10AM on the tickets and not announcing the actual players wouldn't be out for an hour and a half. Don't get me wrong, it's nice for the little kids to get to play at the Bell Center, but if I wanted to watch a full peewee league hockey game, I can go down to the local arena and do that for free on my own time for free. Instead, they made 12,000 people trek through the snow to waste their time with this and with watching clips on the jumbotron. Really disappointed and upset about how the Habs treated their fans today and I for one won't be going back to any of these events. Already stopped buying game tickets a while ago and decided to give the team another chance without having to pay the exorbitant game ticket prices. But here it is, another big giant fail on how they treat fans yet again.

14 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Another big miscue from the Habs in terms of their treatment of fans today... went to their skills competition, which was stated as starting at 10AM. What happened? They brought out 8 year-old kids and had them play a full three-period game over about 35 minutes. Then they played a bunch of video clips, many of which you can already find on line and even zambonied the ice twice. Once before and once after the Habs' players came out for a 5 minute warm-up skate. So the actual skills competition and seeing the players do things didn't actually get going until maybe 11:45. Not only a terrible waste of fans' time, but a real lowlife move when you have so many young kids in the audience. Most of us there got the feeling this wasn't about the fans. It was about adding a little more revenue to the coffers, maybe moreso for concessions since the tickets weren't a bomb. It was about misleading fans by printing 10AM on the tickets and not announcing the actual players wouldn't be out for an hour and a half. Don't get me wrong, it's nice for the little kids to get to play at the Bell Center, but if I wanted to watch a full peewee league hockey game, I can go down to the local arena and do that for free on my own time for free. Instead, they made 12,000 people trek through the snow to waste their time with this and with watching clips on the jumbotron. Really disappointed and upset about how the Habs treated their fans today and I for one won't be going back to any of these events. Already stopped buying game tickets a while ago and decided to give the team another chance without having to pay the exorbitant game ticket prices. But here it is, another big giant fail on how they treat fans yet again.

That would suck if you needed to be somewhere at 1 pm.

Can anyone explain to me why we continue to dress Deslauries over Hudon??  Between the pair of them I would think Hudon can bring more to the plate than Deslauries.

1 hour ago, 26NCounting said:

Can anyone explain to me why we continue to dress Deslaurier over Hudon??  Between the pair of them I would think Hudon can bring more to the plate than Deslaurier.

Deslaurier was given a contract extension by Marc Bergevin don't you know :5141:

1 hour ago, 26NCounting said:

Can anyone explain to me why we continue to dress Deslauries over Hudon??  Between the pair of them I would think Hudon can bring more to the plate than Deslauries.

Maybe Hudon is terrible in practice? I doubt we'll ever know why Hudon has been benched more often than not. One thing I will say is, it always seems like we place more value than deserved on players like Hudon. We did the same thing with Scherbak. Maybe Hudon is just not consistent (or not good) enough to play regular NHL minutes. Julien must see something negative in his game that warrants constant benching.

As a note, last season Hudon scored 30 points in 72 games (0.42 PPG). This season he is 4 points in 25 game (0.16 PPG). I'd be interested in seeing how his overall minutes have changed from 2017-2018 to 2018-2019 in the games that he is playing in.

3 hours ago, 26NCounting said:

#bromance. 

1 hour ago, jennifer_rocket said:

As a note, last season Hudon scored 30 points in 72 games (0.42 PPG). This season he is 4 points in 25 game (0.16 PPG). I'd be interested in seeing how his overall minutes have changed from 2017-2018 to 2018-2019 in the games that he is playing in.

Well its not just minutes this year, its assignments and line mates.

I can totally buy the arguement that he is not good enough to be in our top 9 this year (even though he was by far a top 9 forward last year) because we added more scoring depth and dont have the injuries of last season - but - that only explains why he's not in the top 9. It does not explain to me why he is passed over for Deslauriers, Chaput and Agostino. 

He is easily among our top 12 forwards so for him to be the most quickly scratched forwards is a confusing one for sure. 

27 minutes ago, maas_art said:

I can totally buy the arguement that he is not good enough to be in our top 9 this year (even though he was by far a top 9 forward last year) because we added more scoring depth and dont have the injuries of last season - but - that only explains why he's not in the top 9. It does not explain to me why he is passed over for Deslauriers, Chaput and Agostino. 

He is easily among our top 12 forwards so for him to be the most quickly scratched forwards is a confusing one for sure. 

Its a little confusing, yes... But I haven't seen Hudon put a whole lot on display this season. Admittedly, I have only watched 20-25 games, so I probably haven't seen him as much as others. It just doesn't appear that he's a core element this team needs on the ice in any position. Why he's behind Deslauriers, Chaput, or Agostino... I have no idea? The coaching staff has made the decision. I assume they have a decent reason for doing so. It's not like they're sitting a 20 goal scorer.

Edited by jennifer_rocket

47 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Its a little confusing, yes... But I haven't seen Hudon put a whole lot on display this season. Admittedly, I have only watched 20-25 games, so I probably haven't seen him as much as others. It just doesn't appear that he's a core element this team needs on the ice in any position. Why he's behind Deslauriers, Chaput, or Agostino... I have no idea? The coaching staff has made the decision. I assume they have a decent reason for doing so. It's not like they're sitting a 20 goal scorer.

As for the why, the general feeling seems to be that Julien always wants a crash and bang, defensively responsible 4th line.  It gives him flexibility and suits his systems.  He's pretty much always had one, everywhere he's coached.  Even though he's tried, Hudon doesnt really fit that role.  So for him to be a regular, he has to wrestle a spot out of the top 9 and I just dont see that happening right now unless there are a rash of injuries.

The good news is that our top 9 is deep enough that Charles Hudon doesnt have a spot in it.  The bad news is that we're probably going to end up squandering another middle six player because we stockpiled too many and didnt trade them while their values were higher.    Charles Hudon in April last year, 30 points as a rookie playing good minutes would probably have fetched a decent return but sometimes you dont know whether a guy is in your long term plans or not.

Will be interesting to see if he's still here in March. 

21 hours ago, maas_art said:

As for the why, the general feeling seems to be that Julien always wants a crash and bang, defensively responsible 4th line.  It gives him flexibility and suits his systems.  He's pretty much always had one, everywhere he's coached.  Even though he's tried, Hudon doesnt really fit that role.  So for him to be a regular, he has to wrestle a spot out of the top 9 and I just dont see that happening right now unless there are a rash of injuries.

The good news is that our top 9 is deep enough that Charles Hudon doesnt have a spot in it.  The bad news is that we're probably going to end up squandering another middle six player because we stockpiled too many and didnt trade them while their values were higher.    Charles Hudon in April last year, 30 points as a rookie playing good minutes would probably have fetched a decent return but sometimes you dont know whether a guy is in your long term plans or not.

Will be interesting to see if he's still here in March. 

Well he has been given a spot on the second power-play and keeps his spot in the line-up for now instead of Peca... when Byron returns?

2 hours ago, Habs_Hockey_Nutz said:

Well he has been given a spot on the second power-play and keeps his spot in the line-up for now instead of Peca... when Byron returns?

I like Hudon but it's his opportunity to do something with his chance. Be nice to see a goal or a set up or at least some good inspired play and no defensive lapses.

He looked decent last game and had a few chances. The challenge is maintaining it.

Big win tonight takes us out of the wildcard spots. Yes I know,,,,,, everyone has games in hand on us, but it's still nice to see at the AS break. We have a tough Feb and March coming up.

2 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

Big win tonight takes us out of the wildcard spots. Yes I know,,,,,, everyone has games in hand on us, but it's still nice to see at the AS break. We have a tough Feb and March coming up.

The 1st 5 games back are at home, so there's that. 

7 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

The 1st 5 games back are at home, so there's that. 

We pay for it later. We have two stretches of 3 games in 4 nights, all on the road, to look forward to in Feb.  and another one in March

On 1/22/2019 at 0:16 PM, maas_art said:

I will tell you why, Julien favours bigger, stronger, more physical, defensive, responible forwards on his 4th line. And because we have 3 lines capable of scoring that is not a bad thing. He wants them to be heavy on the puck exert physical play all over the ice for 45 seconds and not give up a goal. Hudon although better skilled player, is not that great defensively, does not have great size and is more a perimeter type player. So unless he can beat out one of the top 9 he will not likely get much time with the 4th line. 

I thought Hudon looked alright last night. However... is Byron back next game? Looks like one of Peca or Hudon may have to sit. I guess Julien will have ample time to decide with such a long lay-off upon us.