Larry-Launstein-Jr

State Of The Habs 2018-19

1,453 posts in this topic

37 minutes ago, Noob616 said:

I don't really care at all about the trade itself because they moved 10-15 spots back very late in the draft, just disappointing that it's going to mean an ostensibly "defensive" 4th line of coke machines that can't actually defend. 

Yeah im not really sure why CJ has such a fetish for a grinding 4th line.  He's always done well assembling his top 9 but his bottom 3 is always this same mold. I guess it is what it is. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, H_T_L said:

I'm thinking Hudon is still on the market. Like you,,, i think DLO is a lifer here for whatever reason.

Ive heard a few people speculate that they think Peca will be waived.  At $1.3m there's some thought that he makes too much money for most teams to be interested.

Others think someone will be traded before the 5pm deadline.   Apparently MB is shopping Hudon fairly aggressively (per the CBC guys on saturday).   

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Per Eric Engels:

"Canadiens won't confirm, but I was just told Michael Chaput is in fact the player who has been designated as non-roster. He will be on waivers at noon tomorrow @Sportsnet."

 

 

The "canadiens wont confirm" part is weird.  Wonder if this means MB is trying to get a deal done before they have to submit waivers tomorrow? 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Per Eric Engels:

"Canadiens won't confirm, but I was just told Michael Chaput is in fact the player who has been designated as non-roster. He will be on waivers at noon tomorrow @Sportsnet."

 

 

The "canadiens wont confirm" part is weird.  Wonder if this means MB is trying to get a deal done before they have to submit waivers tomorrow? 

Chaput might be the type of player that teams would bite on if they have a roster spot,,,, depth Centerman. I would think Peca would have a better chance at clearing, but that's just my opinion. At least it means Hudon is still in the plans,,, or at least until they reactivate Byron. I hate to lose any young guy because of a 34 year old RFA though. Different story if we were trying to protect another young player.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

Chaput might be the type of player that teams would bite on if they have a roster spot,,,, depth Centerman. I would think Peca would have a better chance at clearing, but that's just my opinion. At least it means Hudon is still in the plans,,, or at least until they reactivate Byron. I hate to lose any young guy because of a 34 year old RFA though. Different story if we were trying to protect another young player.

Agreed - especially with the bold.  Chaput, Agostino etc - they are useful pieces, although obviously the type of player that is pretty easy to pick up in the summer. 

Ultimately i dont have a problem with MB tinkering & trying to make us a little better going into the post season.  But i dont want to do it at the expense of any young players, picks, etc. - whether its losing them via trade or waiver. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

So,,,,, Chaput gets waived.

Not surprising. Will be interesting to see if he's picked up. He's a fringe 4th liner but has a decent amount of experience on what, 4 different teams?  

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, maas_art said:

Not surprising. Will be interesting to see if he's picked up. He's a fringe 4th liner but has a decent amount of experience on what, 4 different teams?  

Anybody looking for a depth Center could bite. I'm less confident that he'll clear as opposed to Agostino, and we know what happened there. Hoping he goes through because we need some warm bodies on the farm.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, H_T_L said:

Anybody looking for a depth Center could bite. I'm less confident that he'll clear as opposed to Agostino, and we know what happened there. Hoping he goes through because we need some warm bodies on the farm.

He was ok but we saw what he had and i found it underwhelming really. i would prefer we move on to another young player for next year who may be better, guys like him are easy to find.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

He was ok but we saw what he had and i found it underwhelming really. i would prefer we move on to another young player for next year who may be better, guys like him are easy to find.

I agree.  Im not positive if Thompson is truly an upgrade on the 4th line but if they believe he is for this year's post season run then so be it.  We gave up virtually nothing to get him & hopefully will have better options than him or Chaput etc next season. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, maas_art said:

I agree.  Im not positive if Thompson is truly an upgrade on the 4th line but if they believe he is for this year's post season run then so be it.  We gave up virtually nothing to get him & hopefully will have better options than him or Chaput etc next season. 

I agree, I see him as a this year playoff help. He has size (depending on who you play can help) right hand draw with a good face off percentage. I don't see him beyond this seasons playoff run, we have centers coming in , so I'm okay with it. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, CaptWelly said:

I agree, I see him as a this year playoff help. He has size (depending on who you play can help) right hand draw with a good face off percentage. I don't see him beyond this seasons playoff run, we have centers coming in , so I'm okay with it. 

yes good short term fix to take us into the post season.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chaput clears waivers.  Im glad - i like him & think he's a useful depth player - and although it wouldnt have been the end of the world to lose him, its good for Laval that we didnt. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Chaput clears waivers.  Im glad - i like him & think he's a useful depth player - and although it wouldnt have been the end of the world to lose him, its good for Laval that we didnt. 

Yup. Happy he cleared too.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Habs PP is at 21% in the last 6 games.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

Habs PP is at 21% in the last 6 games.

Small sample size, but... POSITIVE!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

Habs PP is at 21% in the last 6 games.

 

1 hour ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Small sample size, but... POSITIVE!

Definitely.  Baby steps & hopefully it will be ready for the post season. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Habs have changed around their 4th line yet again and like Noob mentioned, it feels a lot like when MB added Ott, Martinsen, and King and tried to get heavier but did so by adding goons rather than skilled players with size. Yes, Thompson wins draws to some degree but I don't see him as being a huge upgrade and the benefit of winning draws has been proven to be limited in most cases. The issue with Weise is that he mainly had success here playing with players with some amount of skill, be it Desharnais or Pacioretty or Fleischmann or so on. I'm not sure he's going to get a lot of looks at the net playing with Deslauriers or Thompson, and the Weise we had before was pretty weak defensively, so he's not helping us there either. Yes, Weise is likely more useful to us than Schlemko (or hurts us less by being in the line-up than Schlemko), so I don't mind the trade in itself, but I'm just not sold on this new 4th line as doing anything more for us int he long run than the last 4th line. The biggest problem with the 4th line, FWIW, has been Deslauriers anyways, and he's still there as the one constant. Until they ditch all these Deslauriers/King/Brown/Martinsen/Laraque/Parros types, I doubt the 4th line will give us much long-term anyways.

If it were up to me, the 4th line, when everyone is healthy would feature 3 guys with at least some amount of skill. Right now, that might be something like Byron-Peca-Hudon, albeit I wouldn't be against giving Jake Evans a shot there too in place of Peca. For now, I don't see Weise-Thompson making a huge difference compare to Peca-Hudon or Chaput-Agostino.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

The Habs have changed around their 4th line yet again and like Noob mentioned, it feels a lot like when MB added Ott, Martinsen, and King and tried to get heavier but did so by adding goons rather than skilled players with size. Yes, Thompson wins draws to some degree but I don't see him as being a huge upgrade and the benefit of winning draws has been proven to be limited in most cases. The issue with Weise is that he mainly had success here playing with players with some amount of skill, be it Desharnais or Pacioretty or Fleischmann or so on. I'm not sure he's going to get a lot of looks at the net playing with Deslauriers or Thompson, and the Weise we had before was pretty weak defensively, so he's not helping us there either. Yes, Weise is likely more useful to us than Schlemko (or hurts us less by being in the line-up than Schlemko), so I don't mind the trade in itself, but I'm just not sold on this new 4th line as doing anything more for us int he long run than the last 4th line. The biggest problem with the 4th line, FWIW, has been Deslauriers anyways, and he's still there as the one constant. Until they ditch all these Deslauriers/King/Brown/Martinsen/Laraque/Parros types, I doubt the 4th line will give us much long-term anyways.

If it were up to me, the 4th line, when everyone is healthy would feature 3 guys with at least some amount of skill. Right now, that might be something like Byron-Peca-Hudon, albeit I wouldn't be against giving Jake Evans a shot there too in place of Peca. For now, I don't see Weise-Thompson making a huge difference compare to Peca-Hudon or Chaput-Agostino.

I think their plan, when everyone is healthy, will be Byron - Thompson - Weise.    Its better than what we've had for most of the year but still not as a good as it could be with some of the players we have in our system who are not playing. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, maas_art said:

I think their plan, when everyone is healthy, will be Byron - Thompson - Weise.    Its better than what we've had for most of the year but still not as a good as it could be with some of the players we have in our system who are not playing. 

My guess is that when everyone is healthy, the top 9 is composed of 8 of the guys who are currently there and then one of Byron or Shaw. You would think Byron is a better option for top 9 than Shaw, except that Shaw has played well with Domi, so who knows... I agree with you that Thompson seems to have the 4C spot to lose, and then I don't know how they will handle Weise vs. Deslauriers. I think Peca and Hudon are clearly thought of as leftovers, and I think the odds are high MB deals Hudon away for a mid-round draft pick at the deadline.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

My guess is that when everyone is healthy, the top 9 is composed of 8 of the guys who are currently there and then one of Byron or Shaw. You would think Byron is a better option for top 9 than Shaw, except that Shaw has played well with Domi, so who knows... I agree with you that Thompson seems to have the 4C spot to lose, and then I don't know how they will handle Weise vs. Deslauriers. I think Peca and Hudon are clearly thought of as leftovers, and I think the odds are high MB deals Hudon away for a mid-round draft pick at the deadline.

I think because Byron has shown he scores at basically the same rate on any line, while Shaw plays considerably better with better linemates, byron is the guy we will play on the 4th.  If everyone is healthy I think Julien goes with :

Drouin - Danault - Gallagher
Tatar - Domi - Shaw
Lehkonen - JK - Armia
Byron - Thompson - Weise

I would definitely be playing Hudon over Weise - or even possibly Thompson (since Hudon has played centre in the past) but it is what it is.  Its still better than Therrien's lines. 

 

 

 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, maas_art said:

I think because Byron has shown he scores at basically the same rate on any line, while Shaw plays considerably better with better linemates, byron is the guy we will play on the 4th.  If everyone is healthy I think Julien goes with :

Drouin - Danault - Gallagher
Tatar - Domi - Shaw
Lehkonen - JK - Armia
Byron - Thompson - Weise

I would definitely be playing Hudon over Weise - or even possibly Thompson (since Hudon has played centre in the past) but it is what it is.  Its still better than Therrien's lines. 

 

 

 

 

Yes i think i like those lines

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, maas_art said:

I think because Byron has shown he scores at basically the same rate on any line, while Shaw plays considerably better with better linemates, byron is the guy we will play on the 4th.  If everyone is healthy I think Julien goes with :

Drouin - Danault - Gallagher
Tatar - Domi - Shaw
Lehkonen - JK - Armia
Byron - Thompson - Weise

I would definitely be playing Hudon over Weise - or even possibly Thompson (since Hudon has played centre in the past) but it is what it is.  Its still better than Therrien's lines.

FWIW, Shaw is one of the better face-off men on our team and a right-handed shot, which means he could also be a viable option as a 4th line center. That said, I do like what Shaw has brought with Domi and he's also previously done well with Danault and Lehkonen too, which is a line I keep coming back to. And I would personally still love to see JK get a shot playing with more offensive players too, so I'd wonder about

Drouin-Kotkaniemi-Armia

Tatar-Domi-Gallagher

Lehkonen-Danault-Shaw

Byron-Hudon-Weise

I think that gives us a strong top 6 offensively. It gives us a fantastic shut-down 3rd line. And it gives us a 4th line that can create offence and pairs Weise with players who can actually feed him the puck.

 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

FWIW, Shaw is one of the better face-off men on our team and a right-handed shot, which means he could also be a viable option as a 4th line center. That said, I do like what Shaw has brought with Domi and he's also previously done well with Danault and Lehkonen too, which is a line I keep coming back to. And I would personally still love to see JK get a shot playing with more offensive players too, so I'd wonder about

Drouin-Kotkaniemi-Armia

Tatar-Domi-Gallagher

Lehkonen-Danault-Shaw

Byron-Hudon-Weise

I think that gives us a strong top 6 offensively. It gives us a fantastic shut-down 3rd line. And it gives us a 4th line that can create offence and pairs Weise with players who can actually feed him the puck.

 

 

Yeah, i totally agree with what you're saying. I think there are combinations that could work better than what we're doing but at least - aside from DLo - we actually have pretty much our best roster on the ice, which is something we havent said very often the last 6-8 years!!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.