Larry-Launstein-Jr

State Of The Habs 2018-19

1,825 posts in this topic

I feel like our projections of Josh Brook, Cale Fleury, Alexander Romanov, and Noah Juulsen are a little premature. Yeah, sure, Juulsen will probably be an NHL regular, but his future role with Montreal is certainly up for debate. Brook, Fleury, and Romanov have never played an NHL game. I think it's funny to just assume in a few years they'll be running our whole blue line. We overhype our prospects way too much.

2 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I feel like our projections of Josh Brook, Cale Fleury, Alexander Romanov, and Noah Juulsen are a little premature. Yeah, sure, Juulsen will probably be an NHL regular, but his future role with Montreal is certainly up for debate. Brook, Fleury, and Romanov have never played an NHL game. I think it's funny to just assume in a few years they'll be running our whole blue line. We overhype our prospects way too much.

Exactly, I'm just hoping one reaches his ceiling, two misses his ceiling but is still serviceable, and the final one never really becomes anything more than an AHL player/#7 D. That would be awesome if it happened! That's success!

3 minutes ago, habsisme said:

Exactly, I'm just hoping one reaches his ceiling, two misses his ceiling but is still serviceable, and the final one never really becomes anything more than an AHL player/#7 D. That would be awesome if it happened! That's success!

I won't even be really interested in Romanov until he signs a contract with the team. We all thought Alexei Emelin was this beast of a player in Russia before he got here, too.

Josh Brook and Cale Fleury probably need some professional games in Laval before getting time with Montreal. They might be in the AHL for the entire 2019-2020 season without a sniff of NHL action. Let them come to camp and work hard to try to earn a spot. Juulsen has to do that, too.

5 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I don't think anyone should be guaranteeing those rookies will be top 4 guys either, BUT the points I'd make are the following:

1. Juulsen was already better than Benn in his first year.

2. Brook plays a style of game that translates better to success in today's NHL. I'd rather have puck-moving D men instead of slower players who are on the back end of their careers and finding it hard to keep up.

3. Brook or Juulsen or Romanov COULD become a top 4 D man. We already know Benn can't play anywhere above the bottom pairing without being grossly overmatched.

4. There's no need to sign 4th liners and 3rd-pairing D men to long-term deals (3 years or more). If Benn wants 2.2-3M a year for 3 years, why pay that out and have a question as to whether he will hold up or decline when you can pay 1M to a younger guy and see if he meets or exceeds expectations. There's a chance a younger player gets better, which is not the case for Benn or Folin really.

5. If we lose Benn, he's easy to replace. Look at how easily MB finds D men in the scrap-heaps every year. So why pay Benn? Let him walk if he wants too much money or term. Try out Fleury or Brook or Juulsen or whoever, and if they don't work out, then I'm pretty sure we'll be able to go out and trade for another veteran D man without giving up much.

5 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

We do it  , every year, with a different set of prospects .

Tinordi, Pateryn, Nathan Beaulieu , , Brett Lernout, Rinat Valiev, Hudon , Scherback, Galchneyak , Sven Andrighetto, Renway , Louis Leblanc, Guillaume Latendresse, Sergei Kostitsyn

22 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

I don't think anyone should be guaranteeing those rookies will be top 4 guys either, BUT the points I'd make are the following:

1. Juulsen was already better than Benn in his first year.

2. Brook plays a style of game that translates better to success in today's NHL. I'd rather have puck-moving D men instead of slower players who are on the back end of their careers and finding it hard to keep up.

3. Brook or Juulsen or Romanov COULD become a top 4 D man. We already know Benn can't play anywhere above the bottom pairing without being grossly overmatched.

4. There's no need to sign 4th liners and 3rd-pairing D men to long-term deals (3 years or more). If Benn wants 2.2-3M a year for 3 years, why pay that out and have a question as to whether he will hold up or decline when you can pay 1M to a younger guy and see if he meets or exceeds expectations. There's a chance a younger player gets better, which is not the case for Benn or Folin really.

5. If we lose Benn, he's easy to replace. Look at how easily MB finds D men in the scrap-heaps every year. So why pay Benn? Let him walk if he wants too much money or term. Try out Fleury or Brook or Juulsen or whoever, and if they don't work out, then I'm pretty sure we'll be able to go out and trade for another veteran D man without giving up much.

Agreed on all points.

Brook is probably the defensive prospect I am most interested in learning more about and seeing play (in camp, or in Laval).

There's no way we should be resigning Benn after signing Folin. And one-year for Folin was enough.

Benn getting hated? Second best perfotmance according to his contract and expectations and responsibilities . 

3 hours ago, dreegking said:

Benn getting hated? Second best perfotmance according to his contract and expectations and responsibilities . 

I love Benn, I hope they sign him. I think part of the disliking of Benn is what we think his contract will look like and if it will stifle the younger players. 

Benn is a great bottom pairing d man, you don't pay bottom pairing d men big money. If his AAV isn't ~1.5 then no, we can't keep him. But if it is, I don't see what the issue is in signing him. 

As for letting young guys play, Alzner is in the minors, if that doesn't give you confidence that young guys will play IF they are actually ready, then I don't know what will. I heard the same whining about Plekanec, and did it stop young guys from playing? No. 

On 4/21/2019 at 11:36 AM, habsisme said:

Weber is 34 this year and Petry 32 this year............................

NO way I trade any of our young dee prospects, if you want to move a forward for a left dee go for it

Great we have some potential Deeman in the pipe line on the right side.........if you want a young deeman for the left side move a forward, or one of the old guys.....

Let them Develop in the AHL, Cale Fleury another Year - Josh Brook a full season below...Julsen is already a go at the NHL level....

You have Mete, and Kulak now, Romanov in two years, who knows what you get in the draft this year...

Maybe Edmonton would do Drouin for Klefbom or Anaheim for Fowler or Philly for  Ghost

Or take a lower tier route Droiun for  Hayden Fleury/Pick in Carolina, Jonas Brodin in Minnesota

Its easier to sign a free agent forward then to get a deeman, SAVE the prospects on dee...

Move a forward and some picks if you need to for a LF deeman...

CGY is most likely looking to move James Neal.  MTL has forward depth and right shot depth to spare.  Would you perhaps be interested in:

TO MTL:  James Neal, Noah Hannafin

TO CGY: Paul Byron, Arturi Lehkonen, Noah Juulsen

Posted (edited)

30 minutes ago, East_Coast_Juggalo_13 said:

CGY is most likely looking to move James Neal.  MTL has forward depth and right shot depth to spare.  Would you perhaps be interested in:

No ... Habs shouldn't be getting any veteran players.   We should be building up a core of young guns with staggered ELC's

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey/successful-nhl-teams-get-big-contributions-from-players-on-entry-level-contracts-why-cant-the-edmonton-oilers

The recipe for a succesfull team in the modern NHL is to have some strong vets (Danault, Tatar, Gallagher, Domi, Shaw for example), some mid range talent (Lehkonen, Armia, Byron) and some young top prospects that contribute heavily.   

While Hanafin is enticing, Neal is not.   And especially not for 2 guys who would be considered part of our core and one of our top RD prospects.    We shouldn't be dealing ANY D prospects when Weber and Petry are both 32+

Edited by HabsAlways

44 minutes ago, East_Coast_Juggalo_13 said:

Hanafin would be a terrific add but Neal is basically a negative value at this point. He's signed for what the next 4 years? Thats a lot to take on.

Byron, Lehks and Juulsen are all quality players.  I understand you have to give to get but IMHO if you're taking Neal with Hanafin you're actually expecting to take Hanafin at a lower price (because of the poor value of Neal).  So Id consider it for Byron + Lehks but no more.  If they want an add on defenseman then someone like Reilly maybe but im not giving up Juulsen who i still think has #2-4 potential if i have to take back Neal too. 

2 hours ago, East_Coast_Juggalo_13 said:

Calgary has Tkachuk and Bennett to sign along with others and only have ~10 mil in cap, so I think you're onto something but I wouldn't be giving them much if you're taking on Neal and his 4 years at 5.75. Alzner in place of Juulsen and arturri would be my offer.

14 hours ago, HabsAlways said:

Doesn't sound too serious. I wonder if perhaps it was slowing him down later in the season, though. It seems like Julien was using him less as the season came to a close. I wonder if the injury may have been part of the reason.

So, if the Leafs get rid of Babcock do the Habs make a pitch?

2 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

he's already said that he doesn't speak french well enough to coach in Montreal, McGill Alumnus too

25 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

NOOOO!!! Don't want or need the guy, unless we want to go another 10 years of not making the playoffs or having an early exit. Look at his record for the last 10 years it sucks.

Friedman reports in his latest "31 Thoughts" article that the team is in the mix for Russian defenseman Alexander Yelesin from the KHL's Lokomotiv. 

Yelesin is just 23 years old and is looking to make the jump over to the NHL. 

He registered four goals and six assists for 10 points in 55 games last year for Lokomotiv. 

Friedman adds that the Calgary Flames, Arizona Coyotes and Ottawa Senators are all in the mix as well. 

21 hours ago, habs1952 said:

I think that ship has sailed. I'd actually rather have Ducharme or Bouchard take over from Julien if it came to that. Would move on from some of the coaches whose coaching styles are becoming a bit antiquated.

3 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

Friedman reports in his latest "31 Thoughts" article that the team is in the mix for Russian defenseman Alexander Yelesin from the KHL's Lokomotiv. 

Yelesin is just 23 years old and is looking to make the jump over to the NHL. 

He registered four goals and six assists for 10 points in 55 games last year for Lokomotiv. 

Friedman adds that the Calgary Flames, Arizona Coyotes and Ottawa Senators are all in the mix as well. 

Look i dont buy into rumors much but since Julien arrived we've basically gotten rid of every single russian we had on our roster.   Im not saying it couldnt happen (Romanov is clearly in our plans, Markov was a favourite etc) but it sure seems like that was a whole lot of coincidences. I think it would take a very special Russian player to win Julien over. 

1 minute ago, BigTed3 said:

I think that ship has sailed. I'd actually rather have Ducharme or Bouchard take over from Julien if it came to that. Would move on from some of the coaches whose coaching styles are becoming a bit antiquated.

Me too. Julien and Babcock are still good coaches but it seems like they both make decisions that would have made more sense 5-10 years ago.  

I also don't see what the attraction of Alexander Yelesin would be? We're not in need of bottom pairing assistance on the right side. He's also doesn't seem offensively inclined based on his career point totals.