The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

State Of The Habs 2018-19

Ok, I tried to be optimistic up until now but with the Pacioretty trade things have gone downhill fast, I regretfully am coming to the rebuild side. There is little hope now of making the playoffs even as a wildcard team. I don't think that we can give up too much more this season without ruining the careers of the prospects before they start. its hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel now

12 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

This organization has become so petty

https://montrealgazette.com/sports/hockey/nhl/hockey-inside-out/stu-cowan-whats-in-a-number-at-canadiens-rookie-camp

Markov and Subban are two players Canadiens management would like to forget even though they both never wanted to leave Montreal and Markov would still love to come back. With Shea Weber out until December following foot and knee surgery, the 39-year-old Markov could probably still fill the No. 2 spot on the Canadiens’ weak blue line beside Jeff Petry, but that won’t happen with Markov now starting his second year with Ak-Bars in the KHL after posting 5-28-33 totals in 55 games last season.

Melancon and Brook didn’t choose numbers 79 and 76, they were given to them at rookie camp. Maybe I’m reading too much into it, but it seems like the Canadiens are putting unnecessary added pressure on those two defencemen while also sending a message to Markov and Subban, who had personality conflicts with GM Marc Bergevin.

Markov is the only player in Canadiens history to have No. 79, wearing it with pride for 16 seasons before getting into a contract dispute with Bergevin and going to Russia. The only other Canadiens player to wear No. 76 besides Subban — who was traded to the Nashville Predators two years ago for Weber — is Jozef Balej, who wore it for four games during the 2003-04 season.

I was actually wondering about #76 and #79 when watching the highlights of those two rookie games... that's such a weird thing to do. Seriously, why would you do that?

5 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Why cant you let someone else have an opinion?   Do you need to drag everyone down with your crap attitude?   We get it, you hate the habs.   

Hey bud , you're an Administrator  you should be nicer than that .

I didn't write anything bad ,

My " attitude " ( do you work for MB , LOL   ) is my opinion , and IMO , I could be wrong , but this team is crap .

You think they could surprise us , great. 

My opinion is differs than yours .

No need for personal; attacks

23 minutes ago, maas_art said:

I actually think you guys are going to be surprised at how this team does this year.   

I mean yes, we're essentially the same team as last year but I also think we had a ridiculous string of bad luck to start the season & they just never fully recovered.  I wouldnt be surprised at all to see us as a wildcard team.   Id rather see us as a lottery team, mind you, but i think we'll be better - a lot better- than what we showed last year. 

I think our defence is simply too bad for this team to make the playoffs but hey, it's definitely possible. There's so much parity in the league now and with so many teams making the cut, there's a chance of riding a hot goalie and going on a streak at the right time to squeeze in. Still though, this roster has a ton of holes and question marks. I'd be a little more optimistic with a healthy Shea Weber in the lineup I suppose.

6 minutes ago, ChiLla said:

I think our defence is simply too bad for this team to make the playoffs but hey, it's definitely possible. There's so much parity in the league now and with so many teams making the cut, there's a chance of riding a hot goalie and going on a streak at the right time to squeeze in. Still though, this roster has a ton of holes and question marks. I'd be a little more optimistic with a healthy Shea Weber in the lineup I suppose.

Even with Weber healthy its hard at this point to imagine that this team will make the playoffs we have no scoring forwards, at this point in time. Depending on how things go with either Suzuki or Kotkaniemi we could be looking at a different situation later in the year though.

Just now, campabee82 said:

Even with Weber healthy its hard at this point to imagine that this team will make the playoffs we have no scoring forwards, at this point in time. Depending on how things go with either Suzuki or Kotkaniemi we could be looking at a different situation later in the year though.

I don't think that Suzuki or Kotkaniemi will make the team this season, at least I hope they don't. Let's give them time to develop and learn to play center at the pro level, I don't think there's any need to rush them.

Last year i would have said that keeping them in the AHL to develop was a lost cause with SL. Hopefully a different story with the new staff in place. Bouchard reamed out his team vs T.O. for not reacting to their teammate being nailed. That's a good sign in my books. I'm hoping he's a positive influence on the kids.

6 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

Suzuki is 19 and probably closer to NHL ready than Kotkaniemi but I agree about letting them develop at the AHL level but then again I am not MB. And you know as well as he does that his job is on the line at this point so it would not surprise me in the least for both of them to make the team.

If MB couldn't get himself fired after last years disaster, i fear his job is no less secure if he goes with the current roster minus any kids or several of them. As long as his T-shirt press (attitude) is in working condition, i suspect he has Molson's blessings to do what he pleases.

1 minute ago, campabee82 said:

I think you will see at least one of the two make the team as MB needs a #1 centre now not later and he has saw how McDavid and Mathews played right out of the draft and thats what he is banking on with at least one of the two Suzuki or Kotkeniemi.

A real GM would leave that decision to his coach. Molson needs to get on that.

33 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

If MB couldn't get himself fired after last years disaster, i fear his job is no less secure if he goes with the current roster minus any kids or several of them. As long as his T-shirt press (attitude) is in working condition, i suspect he has Molson's blessings to do what he pleases.

100% Agreed unfortunately.

1 hour ago, ramcharger440 said:

just had a look at the roster here on the site......kind of makes the blood run cold!

With the Pacioretty trade, only two players left on the roster from the pre-Bergevin 2011-12 line-up... Carey Price and Tomas Plekanec, the latter of whom was already traded as well.

8 hours ago, maas_art said:

I actually think you guys are going to be surprised at how this team does this year.   

I mean yes, we're essentially the same team as last year but I also think we had a ridiculous string of bad luck to start the season & they just never fully recovered.  I wouldnt be surprised at all to see us as a wildcard team.   Id rather see us as a lottery team, mind you, but i think we'll be better - a lot better- than what we showed last year. 

64e8d4d1e06c3e6f2d4ac1e7396beabd--charli

3 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

just had a look at the roster here on the site......kind of makes the blood run cold!

I grew up in the Lafleur, Shutt, Savard , Lemaire, Robinson, Dryden  era

And no matter what every year since,  there was always a  player ( or players ) I liked .

Markov was the last guy

I can say that aside from Price , there is no one on this year's team who excites me. I guess I have a bad attitude :(

3 hours ago, Regis22 said:

And no matter what every year since,  there was always a  player ( or players ) I liked .

Markov was the last guy

I can say that aside from Price , there is no one on this year's team who excites me. I guess I have a bad attitude :(

Nope, you don't have a  bad attitude. . I am sure that many of us long timers will never see a SC, in our ifetime

11 hours ago, Regis22 said:

Markov was the last guy

I feel the same way. No one excites me on the team. Maybe someone will have a breakout year and create some excitement, but... I don't see it happening. Domi, Drouin, Lehkonen?

• H_T_L locked this topic