The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

State Of The Habs 2018-19

20 hours ago, Regis22 said:

I grew up in the Lafleur, Shutt, Savard , Lemaire, Robinson, Dryden  era

And no matter what every year since,  there was always a  player ( or players ) I liked .

Markov was the last guy

I can say that aside from Price , there is no one on this year's team who excites me. I guess I have a bad attitude :(

agree,

I grew up watching Beliveau retire, The Pocket Rocket wearing the C, F. Mahovlich coming over from Toronto, Y. Cournoyer being nick-named the Roadrunner, Dryden as a champion Rookie, Lemaire and Lafleur in their starting years, Laperierre on defense,  and then some.

for most of us older viewers (I believe) you are right by stating more names than the one or two.

Montreals "Golden Years" were accompanied by good and great(er) players.

in the Golden years, there was no speaking of making the play-offs, the NHL knew (even with Bobby Orr) that Montreal would be a team to face come play-off time - and even Boston had more than just Esposito and Orr -

after 6 years of madness we start a rebuild, a team trying to make the play-offs. (how often I have tried to close that book)

a contender these days has at least 2 elite players, and decent back-up. we need still to find what we have. so I must agree, though Pacioretty now gone, a rebuild is all that is left. and about the trades, .. like the young guns up-coming, we'll just have to wait and see.

we lost our first 2 games of their try-outs, at least we scored a goal a game (yawn) ..

the one light I do see, is that we can only go up from here, .. and let's hope they can start to excite us again. hopefully soon.

I found this interesting from the Halifax Herald:

"Ad prices plummet for Montreal Canadiens games after dismal season.

MONTREAL — Advertising rates for Montreal Canadiens games have plummeted due to audience fallout after the Habs' lacklustre performance last season, one media company says.

The RDS and TVA Sports channels — which fall under the umbrellas of BCE Inc. and Quebecor Media Inc., respectively — saw advertisers paying for a per-minute viewership assessed at about 200,000 for the 25-54 age demographic.

That's down from last fall's initial viewership estimate of about 295,000 and 275,000 for RDS and TVA Sports, respectively.

Omnicom Media Group said pricing for a 30-second ad placement this fall dropped to about $5,000 from roughly $7,000 last year as a result of the shift.

Last month, TVA Sports announced revenues fell by 60 per cent for a net loss of $9.7 million in the second quarter.

The channel, along with Quebecor chief executive Pierre Karl Peladeau, have blamed the Canadiens' failure to make the playoffs for a major hit to the Montreal-based communication giant's ad revenues"

Marc Bergevin seems to have a new fetish (not just LWs anymore)  Now he's hoarding former first round draft picks.   At training camp this year:

Jesperi Kotkaniemi (3rd OVA)
- Jonathan Drouin (3rd)
- Carey Price (5th)
- Karl Alzner (5th)
- Max Domi (12th) 
- Nick Suzuki (13th)
- Joel Armia (16th)

- Hunter Shinkaruk (24th)
- Mike McCarron (25th)
- Noah Juulsen (26th)
- Nikita Scherbak (26th) 
- Phillip Danault (26th)
- Simon Després (30th)

Obviously guys like Suzuki & Domi were traded for based on their abilities but there are some interesting reclamation projects in the bunch.  Im especially interested in Armia and Shinkaruk.   Chances are neither pans out the way hopes were when they were drafted but there's definitely some ceiling there. 

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

Marc Bergevin seems to have a new fetish (not just LWs anymore)  Now he's hoarding former first round draft picks.   At training camp this year:

Jesperi Kotkaniemi (3rd OVA)
- Jonathan Drouin (3rd)
- Carey Price (5th)
- Karl Alzner (5th)
- Max Domi (12th) 
- Nick Suzuki (13th)
- Joel Armia (16th)

- Hunter Shinkaruk (24th)
- Mike McCarron (25th)
- Noah Juulsen (26th)
- Nikita Scherbak (26th) 
- Phillip Danault (26th)
- Simon Després (30th)

Obviously guys like Suzuki & Domi were traded for based on their abilities but there are some interesting reclamation projects in the bunch.  Im especially interested in Armia and Shinkaruk.   Chances are neither pans out the way hopes were when they were drafted but there's definitely some ceiling there. 

They had Armia playing with domi and drouin and apparently he played well. I want to see armia on the team this year, as well as scherbak. Im so happy we gave up 2 2nd rd draft picks for a guy with grit who I barely see a roster spot for at this point ANYWAY

the other guy is despres. He was an established NHL dman before his concussion problems. If he could get it back it would be really nice to have a huge lefty with some skill instead of schlemko or whoever.

This is a transcript from an interview with Bergevin by Marinaro (I believe it was from a couple of weeks ago - before patches was traded, but may not have aired till yesterday): 

- I asked Marc Bergevin if he has any regrets with how Galchenyuk was brought along. Bergevin says he has no regrets with his decision to have Galchenyuk play in the NHL as an 18 year old

- Marc Bergevin sayst if the Habs had #1 pick in 2012 NHL Draft that he was never going to draft Nail Yakupov

- Bergevin said there was trade request by Pacioretty. Days ago Pacioretty said it was a matter of interpretation. I asked Bergevin what Pacioretty meant by that & he said you'd have to ask Max. Bergevin says he will repeat what he said last week & that is Max requested a trade

- Last wk, Pierre McGuire told @HunterZThompson that 1 team offered Bergevin more for Pacioretty. I asked Bergevin if its true. He says Pierre couldn't be more wrong. Says what he got last week from Vegas in the trade is by far best trade offer he received for Pacioretty

- Marc Bergevin tells me even if Andrei Markov wanted to come back to Montreal it was almost impossible. Says Markov would have to clear waivers last year before returning to Montreal. Says NHL is business and the other NHL teams would not do MTL Canadiens any favors.

- Marc Bergevin says he asked CPrice last season what was going on w/him. Price told him some games he was moving too much & lost his net. Says when season got away Price tried to do too much. Says he lost his bearing, lost confidence at that point & could never get it back

- I asked Marc Bergevin if he will consider trading Shea Weber seeing as he wants to make team younger. Bergevin says he wants a culture. Says young players need a pro, a mentor. Says it is very important to have a guy like that part of your team. And they have that with Shea Weber

So, is punching a reluctant opponent in the face and getting a hearing with the player safety department the type of attitude and character Bergevin wants? If so, MAKE DOMI CAPTAIN NOW! I don't understand why Max did this. There was really nothing in the build-up and punching someone who has clearly decided NOT to engage in a meaningless preseason fight is moronic.

12 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

So, is punching a reluctant opponent in the face and getting a hearing with the player safety department the type of attitude and character Bergevin wants? If so, MAKE DOMI CAPTAIN NOW! I don't understand why Max did this. There was really nothing in the build-up and punching someone who has clearly decided NOT to engage in a meaningless preseason fight is moronic.

Yeah, quite the debut. It's one thing to step up for your teammates like Byron did, but Domi's antics actually hurt the team. I'm also a little surprised about Drouin saying that it was partially Ekblad's fault for not protecting himself.

4 minutes ago, ChiLla said:

Yeah, quite the debut. It's one thing to step up for your teammates like Byron did, but Domi's antics actually hurt the team. I'm also a little surprised about Drouin saying that it was partially Ekblad's fault for not protecting himself.

I wouldn't be surprised. It's not like Drouin is a class-act. He did, after all, act like a complete child when he didn't get his way in Tampa Bay with the Lightning. I don't know what kind of team Bergevin is building, but I don't really see any leadership here... This season is going to be spectacularly brutal.

35 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

Very reminiscent of Shaw's first game as a Hab. Just what we need. :rolleyes:

But, lets remember what a calming influence Julien had on Shaw.  Lets give Julien some time, Im sure he is NOT happy about Domi's actions & will try to right the ship.

It was stupid and gutless but I am sure born out of the desire to "make an impact"... unfortunately for all the wrong reasons. 

14 minutes ago, maas_art said:

But, lets remember what a calming influence Julien had on Shaw.  Lets give Julien some time, Im sure he is NOT happy about Domi's actions & will try to right the ship.

It was stupid and gutless but I am sure born out of the desire to "make an impact"... unfortunately for all the wrong reasons. 

Lets hope so. Couldn't stand his father and yesterday's antics left the same bad taste in my mouth.

1 minute ago, H_T_L said:

Lets hope so. Couldn't stand his father and yesterday's antics left the same bad taste in my mouth.

He's a much better player than his father, skill-wise which should help - Domi Sr. needed to play that way because there really wasnt much else there.  I think Max clearly has some of his dad's antics in him but at 23 hopefully he just needs to do a little more maturing. 

Im positive Julien wont be happy.  Bergevin, i dunno. He probably thinks thats "toughness" or something. 

So, our shortcomings have certainly been documented and discussed at length; terrible management, weak on defence, lack of top 6 centres, too many bottom 6 forwards etc. My question is, what excites you about this team? What do you see that makes you optimistic in the short term (besides tanking to get a top pick) and what excites you in the long term?

10 hours ago, MuddyWaterMoose said:

What do you see that makes you optimistic in the short term (besides tanking to get a top pick) and what excites you in the long term?

The thing that excites me the most from watching the preseason games so far is the energy that both preseason teams have had. They may not be the best players in the world and we will have to trim down the team a lot but for the most part everyone on the team is realizing that there are a lot of roster spots open so that has gotten them motivated to play harder. once the roster is set and the season is underway though the dynamic will change and we may do exactly what everyone is expecting but there is the outside chance that this team continues to play hard and score by committee. I still don't see them making the playoffs and IF they somehow do they will probably be a first round exit but the energy level is good thus far.

11 hours ago, MuddyWaterMoose said:

So, our shortcomings have certainly been documented and discussed at length; terrible management, weak on defence, lack of top 6 centres, too many bottom 6 forwards etc. My question is, what excites you about this team? What do you see that makes you optimistic in the short term (besides tanking to get a top pick) and what excites you in the long term?

I haven't watched any preseason games, but... the younger guys who make the big club will excite me. Maybe Suzuki or Kotkaniemi can get a longer look. I like Lehkonen. I will be excited to see how he does this season! I'm hoping Mete and Juulsen get regular NHL minutes!

17 hours ago, MuddyWaterMoose said:

Tomas freaking TATAR!!! did you guys watch that washington game??? dude could have had 5 points! stretch passes,creating turnovers, dangling guys....this guy didmore things in one game than I saw from captain invisible all year last year. 

Im excited about the turnover Im seeing. If we had a good GM it could happen even faster and we would be a new and more competetive team a lot faster but its still slowly happening.

18 hours ago, MuddyWaterMoose said:

Im excited for a few things:

1) I think Price will be back to MVP Price. I think its going to derail our #loseforhughes but I think Price is going to single-handedly try to save the season for the team.

2) I think our forwards will surprise us. We clearly wont have a 1st line (unless Kotkaniemi or Suzuki makes a huge jump in the next few weeks) but I think we're going to roll 4 lines evenly and will get scoring by committee

3) Even though our defense looks like a tire-fire, I think that the added coaches - along with MB clearly thinking rebuild - means we might actually have a fighting chance at icing a competent group.   Last year we saw guys like Alzner, Benn and Schlemko get played more than younger options but this year I think (ok, i hope) that guys like Ducharme, Richardson and co. will help persuade Julien to put the best 6 on the ice each night, not the 6 most experienced and/or highest paid.

4) Im looking forward to finally having a farm development team that doesnt scare the crap out of me.   If they hadnt cleaned house this summer I wouldnt have wanted guys like Kotkaniemi going anywhere near that group!

My enthusiasm is tempered mind you. I do think we're going to suck. I just dont think we're going to be as bad as a lot of people think we will.    Thats a double edged sword of course because id really like to get a top 5 pick next year but i also hate to see a season like last year where we were just abysmal. 

Always get pumped up when a new season starts. 

I believe that Domi will be better then most expect him to be. He will learn from his poor judgement in the Florida game and that is all we can ask.

Mete looks like he is one of those guys who keeps getting better and better each year. So looking forward to his progression.

Your trust in Price is the only thing that would worry me. If he falters yet again, could be another long season. Hope I am wrong on that one.

• H_T_L locked this topic