The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

State Of The Habs 2018-19

18 hours ago, jeff33 said:

Tomas freaking TATAR!!! did you guys watch that washington game??? dude could have had 5 points! stretch passes,creating turnovers, dangling guys....this guy didmore things in one game than I saw from captain invisible all year last year. 

Im excited about the turnover Im seeing. If we had a good GM it could happen even faster and we would be a new and more competetive team a lot faster but its still slowly happening.

Tatar was good in Detroit and was a huge surprise in Las Vegas. This could be a good move for the Habs down the road.

Extending Byron is an excellent idea. He shows up every night will likely get his 20 goals (plus a few shorties here and there) and his speed should help him maintain his play. The money is also not going to block him from being traded either. His play this preseason has been excellent and there are not too many who have had a better camp than him and Gallagher. Congrats on the contract and securing your spot for the foreseeable future.

10 minutes ago, Habberwacky said:

Extending Byron is an excellent idea. He shows up every night will likely get his 20 goals (plus a few shorties here and there) and his speed should help him maintain his play. The money is also not going to block him from being traded either. His play this preseason has been excellent and there are not too many who have had a better camp than him and Gallagher. Congrats on the contract and securing your spot for the foreseeable future.

I think signing Byron for 4 years/13.6 mil is gonna go over like a lead balloon around this forum.

I just don't see the need to offer a bottom 6 player a long-term deal like this. Yet at the same time, MB plays hardball with Subban, Pacioretty, Radulov, Markov, Galchenyuk, Eller, etc. Why try so hard to stick it to your best players yet cave in and give long-term deals like Prust, Byron, Alzner, and so on. I'm tired of MB's infatuation with role players and contempt for guys with elite skill.

1 hour ago, habs1952 said:

I think signing Byron for 4 years/13.6 mil is gonna go over like a lead balloon around this forum.

:4224: nice one!

uh yes you are correct. this deal is fine at this exact second right now. we have a glut of kids who are byron juniors (small , good skaters, 20g potential) scherbak, hudon, lehkonen, chaput,possibly suzuki , shinkaruk, armia, plus 3 guys locked in already, so what when they are ready? I guess the best part is theres no stupid NMC or anything but really this should be the year to trade guys like him and shaw and why its stupid we signed plekanec. we need to turn this roster over and open up spots for prospects, not be locking in mediocre veterans

anyway thats typical bergevin managing so whos even a little surprised

52 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

Only way I see this one working out is as trade bait. They now have him locked into a 4 year deal and will get decent return for him at this point. Maybe MB is looking at him as a possible package deal for a 1 or 2 dman or d prospect. That is the only way this signing makes sense.

MB doesn't have that kind of foresight so obviously the only thing that makes sense is that this deal makes no sense. Our GM at his best once again.

4 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

I just don't see the need to offer a bottom 6 player a long-term deal like this. Yet at the same time, MB plays hardball with Subban, Pacioretty, Radulov, Markov, Galchenyuk, Eller, etc. Why try so hard to stick it to your best players yet cave in and give long-term deals like Prust, Byron, Alzner, and so on. I'm tired of MB's infatuation with role players and contempt for guys with elite skill.

The saving grace is there's no clauses.   I can see a spot on this roster for Byron for a year or maybe two.  But i think its crucial if we trade him, we need to do so before his value drops.   

I really like Byron. My problem is that  guys like him shouldn't be getting long term deals. Unfortunately, MB is one of those few GM's who just don't understand that it's not a wise policy to lock up aging 3rd and 4th liners to long lucrative deals. I could get behind an extension of 1 and maximum 2 years, but I just don't see the upside to locking up Paul until he's 34/35 years old, when we should be doing our utmost to follow the trend towards youth that every other team seems to be adapting. I imagine Ward will be his next target. Wouldn't shock me to see him get a 2 year deal. 

7 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

I really like Byron. My problem is that  guys like him shouldn't be getting long term deals. Unfortunately, MB is one of those few GM's who just don't understand that it's not a wise policy to lock up aging 3rd and 4th liners to long lucrative deals. I could get behind an extension of 1 and maximum 2 years, but I just don't see the upside to locking up Paul until he's 34/35 years old, when we should be doing our utmost to follow the trend towards youth that every other team seems to be adapting. I imagine Ward will be his next target. Wouldn't shock me to see him get a 2 year deal. 

He's a high-end bottom six guy though. He is a fabulous PKer and can actually fill in on the top 2 lines when needed. Its not like he's Deslauriers.   The bigger problem for me is his age. At 29 I just cant see he'll be great value in the last few years of the deal but i also dont think MB is long-sighted enough to move him before that happens.   The lack of a NMC leaves a glimmer of hope. 

Just now, maas_art said:

He's a high-end bottom six guy though. He is a fabulous PKer and can actually fill in on the top 2 lines when needed. Its not like he's Deslauriers.   The bigger problem for me is his age. At 29 I just cant see he'll be great value in the last few years of the deal but i also dont think MB is long-sighted enough to move him before that happens.   The lack of a NMC leaves a glimmer of hope. 

It's the last couple of years in the deal that I really have issues with. I can't understand why MB feels he needs to sign him until he's 34/35. I would bet Byron would have jumped at a 2 year extension.  

8 hours ago, Habberwacky said:

Fully agree.  Now that he is a known commodity, he's tradeable when the time is right. I doubt he'd have jumped at a 2 year deal, I bet he would have gone UFA.  He isn't a waiver pickup anymore, he's now a solid NHL player.  Its a fair contract dollar amount and term.  He'll be with us until MB gets what he wants in a trade.  

I dont get the complaining, you get a really good 2 way play, back to back 20 goal seasons.

On average you get 100,  20 goal scores in the league per years,  around 3 or 4 per team. We have one, just over 3 milion per year. That.s a great deal.

With his speed at 29 your still going to have the same player for the next 4 years, maybe even a better player each year but not worse. 

All the complaining about goal scoring we sign a 20 goal scorer, great penalty killer and we complain. I am left scratching my head???

Tell me who else you are going to give the money too?

11 hours ago, caperns61 said:

I dont get the complaining, you get a really good 2 way play, back to back 20 goal seasons.

On average you get 100,  20 goal scores in the league per years,  around 3 or 4 per team. We have one, just over 3 milion per year. That.s a great deal.

With his speed at 29 your still going to have the same player for the next 4 years, maybe even a better player each year but not worse. 

All the complaining about goal scoring we sign a 20 goal scorer, great penalty killer and we complain. I am left scratching my head???

Tell me who else you are going to give the money too?

How about, Kotkaniemi or Suzuki, or Poeling, or any other number of younger players with the same or better skill set. The problem isn't his value right now the problem is his age at 29 he may have at best 2 or 3 years before his speed starts to wear off then all your left with is a Plekanec type of player trying to keep up with the pace and being realitivly ineffective.

I'm okay with the Byron deal. He's a good 2nd/3rd line player. I thought we would be looking to deal him around the deadline, but... I guess Bergevin sees him in our long-term plans. Remember... it's not a rebuild, it's a RETOOL. :lol: Byron won't make or break this team in the next few years, but he could be a decent piece to have around in 3-4 years if we can get back to being competitive.

41 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

How about, Kotkaniemi or Suzuki, or Poeling, or any other number of younger players with the same or better skill set.

Im not justifying the Byron signing  but those you mention don't require pay increases for a good couple of years still  , probably not until Bryan contract is up and some other young guys ( Hudon, Artturi Lehkonen  ) I think still need to prove themselves

Wasn't saying increases as far as I know none of them is even under contract with the habs. I was just saying that the money would be better suited to go towards ELC for one or more of those players while at the same time by not resigning Byron you open another roster spot for one of them. Also my post did say OR one of any OTHER younger player with the same or better skill set. I didn't think I would have to name them ALL.

/whispers - Byron is more of a low-end 1st line scorer and a high-end 2nd liner, not a "good bottom sixer". He was 74th in ES goals last year, and getting that for 3.4M is good value.

Considering net on-ice performance/impact he's legitimately the 2nd best forward on the team right now unless Tatar/Domi/Drouin prove otherwise. I'm lukewarm on this, I don't really love the deal for the Habs because it's another example of the team not really committing to the rebuild, but I do understand the importance of keeping some veterans around and I think Byron is perfect in that role. Keep in mind that Byron at 29 is the 2nd oldest forward on the team this year and the next oldest is Tatar at 27. This is a very very young team already and I think there's a lot of value in keeping a guy like Byron around because you can make a line of Byron + any two idiots and they'll be effective, and he's incredibly versatile. 

I agree that it probably would make more sense for the Habs to trade him but I also think Byron is getting heavily underrated here. It's easy to talk about Lehkonen and Hudon and Scherbak and McCarron and Shinkaruk and Evans etc etc and say we shouldn't be blocking a prospect but none of those guys have proven themselves to be on Byron's level. If we want to gripe about blocking spots from good young players let's talk about DLR, Shaw, and Deslauriers, not a highly versatile 90th percentile ES goal scorer that can play up and down the linuep and excels on the PK and drives possession.  

I agree that there's a few too many forwards right now but in the long term I think it's overstated. Shaw is bordering on permanent LTIR status at this point and I don't think we can pencil him in as a player in the long term. DLR is gone unless he takes a spot. Deslauriers has a contract but he's gone in an instant if they need to clear a roster spot. Plekanec is gone at the end of the year and unlikely to come back. There's going to be lots of spots available next season for prospects, and Byron is the perfect veteran linemate to insulate those guys too. I can see why people are frustrated but I'm kinda evaluating these moves in terms of "do they create a mess for the next GM" at this point, and I think Byron at this price is a good thing in the short and long term and he'll always be tradeable. 

2 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

If he goes on waivers and clears, his trade value increases.

Why would that increase his trade value? Because you could trade him to another team (while still on the AHL squad) and they could leave him in their system & then call him up & not worry about waivers?   I mean, I guess that is helpful but really if thats an incentive I cant see him having much more value than say a 4th rounder at best. 

• H_T_L locked this topic