Jump to content
The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

State Of The Habs 2018-19


Recommended Posts

14 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

Wouldn't be admitting his mistake? :7072:

yes but he did admit that it was "probably a mistake" just a couple of weeks ago. I think that is very positive because he might well actually do something about it.

Weber for Subban, for example, I think he still sees as a win. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, maas_art said:

yes but he did admit that it was "probably a mistake" just a couple of weeks ago. I think that is very positive because he might well actually do something about it.

Weber for Subban, for example, I think he still sees as a win. 

I have no doubt he'd love to correct that blunder. Every game he sits makes him look bad. I think even Copperfield would have problems making that deal disappear. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, H_T_L said:

I have no doubt he'd love to correct that blunder. Every game he sits makes him look bad. I think even Copperfield would have problems making that deal disappear. 

Pretty positive its going to have to be a multiplayer swap with us including someone like Scherbak. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

Pretty positive its going to have to be a multiplayer swap with us including someone like Scherbak. 

it may be a good way to get a good pick and or prospect. i would be less interested in a player for now though as i really want to see al of the guys we have finally get an honest shot so we can really see what we have before making any long term moves

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, ramcharger440 said:

it may be a good way to get a good pick and or prospect. i would be less interested in a player for now though as i really want to see al of the guys we have finally get an honest shot so we can really see what we have before making any long term moves

If we send say Alzner + another roster player Ideally we would get back someone waiver-exempt.  Then we potentially free up two roster spots. 

Will be interesting to see how MB tries to get out of this mess. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, maas_art said:

If we send say Alzner + another roster player Ideally we would get back someone waiver-exempt.  Then we potentially free up two roster spots. 

Will be interesting to see how MB tries to get out of this mess. 

I think the moved getting Kulak and Olofsson were to give MB options.    With those two, both NHL ready,  he can trade Alzner and one of DLR/Scherbak ... Deslauriers, whomever he keeps out of DLR/Scherbak, and Kulak/Olofsson get called up as 7th D and we're at 23 without exposing anyone to waivers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, HabsAlways said:

I think the moved getting Kulak and Olofsson were to give MB options.    With those two, both NHL ready,  he can trade Alzner and one of DLR/Scherbak ... Deslauriers, whomever he keeps out of DLR/Scherbak, and Kulak/Olofsson get called up as 7th D and we're at 23 without exposing anyone to waivers.

Totally agree.  No way do i expect both of those guys to remain in Laval all year.  I think he would have taken one or both off waivers if he didnt have to put them right on the NHL roster.
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, maas_art said:

yes but he did admit that it was "probably a mistake" just a couple of weeks ago. I think that is very positive because he might well actually do something about it.

Weber for Subban, for example, I think he still sees as a win. 

And I bet there's quite a few antiquated GMs/Coaches who also see Weber for Subban as a win for MB.      It's not, but they probably see it as such.    

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bob McKenzie is following the same thinking you guys are discussing above... he says the Habs soon expect to have 16 forwards and that MB is quietly passing the word around the NHL that other GMs should contact him if they have interest in one of his players. So here are MB's options if he wants to make a deal:

1. Trade an extra guy, like a Plekanec or Scherbak or DLR or Deslauriers, in exchange for a waiver-exempt minor leaguer or draft pick.

2. Package two or more players for less players (e.g Scherbak + DLR for one prospect/player +/- a pick)

3. Make a true hockey trade whereby he swaps a forward for a LHD. But that being said, I don't think he's going to be willing to part with anyone who's going to being a LHD back who'll be better than Kulak or Olofsson in the minors, so this is less likely.

Otherwise, he could demote Kotkaniemi or he could simply expose a guy to waivers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, maas_art said:

Based on our roster, i think the following forwards are safe:

Gallagher, Drouin, JFK, Domi, Lehkonen, Byron, Tatar, Danault, Shaw, Armia.  I would hope that Hudon is on that list too, but surprised he's playing so far down the lineup - i guess there's only so many top 9 spots. 

That leaves  Peca, Plekanec, DLR, Deslauriers and Sherbak vying for 1 spot in the lineup and 3 total roster spots.  The thing is, the 11 players listed above are 8 wingers and 3 centres, so that last spot - unless they plan on shifting someone to centre is either Peca or Plekanec's.

I cant see them waiving Peca or Deslauriers and they'd be foolish to waive Scherbak.      As you said, its nothing to lose sleep over but was obvious even before the season started that we had too much bottom 9 depth.

Hopefully it gets sorted in a positive way but i have my doubts. 

 

As for Alzner, i think there's a legit chance he's not on this roster by Christmas.  Im not sure how they heck MB will pull that rabbit out of his hat but I am positive he's trying hard to make something happen. I mean MB does not like admitting he's wrong (which he actually did publicly a few weeks ago re: alzner)  so i am sure he wants to fix that asap. 

 

And I'm sure every other GM noticed what MB said. A GM would need to be desperate for a D-man to trade for Alzner.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Watching the game vs. the Kings was a downer that reminded me of the Habs performances in the past vs, bigger teams.

That said, execution was just not where it was in the first two games... including Carey Price at key moments early on IMO.

I expect the struggles to continue vs. the Penguins next game... though they may rebound slightly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Habs_Hockey_Nutz said:

Watching the game vs. the Kings was a downer that reminded me of the Habs performances in the past vs, bigger teams.

That said, execution was just not where it was in the first two games... including Carey Price at key moments early on IMO.

I expect the struggles to continue vs. the Penguins next game... though they may rebound slightly.

While the result was a loss, there was a huge difference ... 

Last year, down 2-0 we would have turtled and just given up.  Our play would have gotten worse and we would have lost 4 or 5-0.     The guys however made an effort, and while they couldn't solve that goalie (who played really well), overall I think we played a good game.   The lack of call on Doughty and a few other missed calls in the first allowed the Kings to set the tone of the game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, HabsAlways said:

While the result was a loss, there was a huge difference ... 

Last year, down 2-0 we would have turtled and just given up.  Our play would have gotten worse and we would have lost 4 or 5-0.     The guys however made an effort, and while they couldn't solve that goalie (who played really well), overall I think we played a good game.   The lack of call on Doughty and a few other missed calls in the first allowed the Kings to set the tone of the game.

Agreed. This is not last year's team.   They fought hard.  Its pretty obvious from last night that without gamebreaking talent we will have nights where our rushes of speed just cannot beat the oppostion but if they keep playing like that I think they will be more successful than not & its a lot more fun to watch for sure. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 6:12 PM, CANADIENS27 said:

No power play last night.  

 

 

When Weber comes back he should help in that regard.(As long as he doesn't kill Gallager in the process !) Teams have to respect his shot which should open up some down low play and cause rebounds.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've been pleasantly surprised by a few things this year. Especially that at least so far the youth/speed movement seems to be more than just lipservice. They've scratched Alzner all season which I'm happy to see, and I was impressed that Plekanec played under 9 minutes last night and was basically just used a a defensive zone faceoff guy when Domi/Danault needed a rest and Julien didn't want Kotkaniemi's line taking a defensive zone faceoff vs. Crosby or Malkin. That's the exact role he should be used in at this stage and I'm glad they aren't trying to use him in the top 9, and I get the impression that even if they send Kotkaniemi back they're going to use Peca as the other top 9 center and keep Plekanec in this defensive role. 

Team still really suffers from being completely outclassed by most teams in the league in terms of pure skill/gamebreakers, the Habs have 4 good lines with some offensive ability but the only guys on the team with any track record of good ES scoring are Gallagher and Byron which is an issue. 

57 minutes ago, CaptWelly said:

When Weber comes back he should help in that regard.(As long as he doesn't kill Gallager in the process !) Teams have to respect his shot which should open up some down low play and cause rebounds.

Maybe but tbh I'm more worried when Weber gets back that the PP will be even worse. The powerplay was substantially better last season (like in Jan-Apr 2018 the Habs PP was top 5 in the league with Petry instead of Weber) after Weber got hurt because when Weber (or Subban/Markov/Souray) are on the Habs PP this franchise has a consistent issue with literally not being able to stop themselves from running the entire PP through telegraphed slapshots from the point.The problem on the PP right now is there's no Galchenyuk type shooting threat on the right side for Petry/Drouin to pass to and punish teams for overplaying Drouin/Petry. I'd like to see Kotkaniemi in that spot honestly. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Noob616 said:

I've been pleasantly surprised by a few things this year. Especially that at least so far the youth/speed movement seems to be more than just lipservice. They've scratched Alzner all season which I'm happy to see, and I was impressed that Plekanec played under 9 minutes last night and was basically just used a a defensive zone faceoff guy when Domi/Danault needed a rest and Julien didn't want Kotkaniemi's line taking a defensive zone faceoff vs. Crosby or Malkin. That's the exact role he should be used in at this stage and I'm glad they aren't trying to use him in the top 9, and I get the impression that even if they send Kotkaniemi back they're going to use Peca as the other top 9 center and keep Plekanec in this defensive role. 

Team still really suffers from being completely outclassed by most teams in the league in terms of pure skill/gamebreakers, the Habs have 4 good lines with some offensive ability but the only guys on the team with any track record of good ES scoring are Gallagher and Byron which is an issue. 

Maybe but tbh I'm more worried when Weber gets back that the PP will be even worse. The powerplay was substantially better last season (like in Jan-Apr 2018 the Habs PP was top 5 in the league with Petry instead of Weber) after Weber got hurt because when Weber (or Subban/Markov/Souray) are on the Habs PP this franchise has a consistent issue with literally not being able to stop themselves from running the entire PP through telegraphed slapshots from the point.The problem on the PP right now is there's no Galchenyuk type shooting threat on the right side for Petry/Drouin to pass to and punish teams for overplaying Drouin/Petry. I'd like to see Kotkaniemi in that spot honestly. 

I'll echo your sentiment in bold. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, MuddyWaterMoose said:

I didn't expect the Habs to win many games this season, and it's still too early to think otherwise, but what I will say is that, win or lose, they are playing exciting hockey to watch.

I'll echo this. I thought we would generate chances but not finish very well, and I thought we would have more difficulty on defence. What I didn't expect was a change in team philosophy to do things like keeping Kotkaniemi and benching Plekanec and Alzner in favor of younger, skilled players. This is the type of thing fans have been calling for for a while, and it's paying dividends. I'm not really into this season for winning. I don't think we can win a Cup and I'm still hesitant to say we can compete for a playoff spot. But I'll take playing youth and playing fast exciting hockey as a win.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

I'll echo this. I thought we would generate chances but not finish very well, and I thought we would have more difficulty on defence. What I didn't expect was a change in team philosophy to do things like keeping Kotkaniemi and benching Plekanec and Alzner in favor of younger, skilled players. This is the type of thing fans have been calling for for a while, and it's paying dividends. I'm not really into this season for winning. I don't think we can win a Cup and I'm still hesitant to say we can compete for a playoff spot. But I'll take playing youth and playing fast exciting hockey as a win.

Maybe our GM has finally stopped micro-managing our Coach.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We just played some really solid teams and we did ok. i have to say i am surprised, i felt we would get smoked pretty good right out of the gate and be behind all year. now is when it will get interesting  i think as we will have to make some decisions quite soon, we have a lot of forwards and frankly a surprisingly good and mobile defence i love our speed and we are playing a much better system this year so a couple of tweaks to trim our roster and keep the right players in the right places could make this a good team not great but good.i am sad about a couple of players though, imagine if we had Max now at the begining of his career and if Chuck got here this year with the system and puck moving D we have at the moment! and although i do like Webber PK would look awesome on this team! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • H_T_L locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...