The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

State Of The Habs 2018-19

2 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

Ok, then put him on waivers, and if he's picked up, great, if not, then he can play in Laval. 

NO team will pick up that albatross contract. Do we really want this guy taking up a roster spot from one of our kids? I know I don't. The only way to ditch this guy is by eating a good portion of his salary in a trade. The other option is to leave him on the bench at all costs this year. The cap is not an issue at this point. 

15 hours ago, ChiLla said:

As good as his numbers may have been last season, he is what he is and frankly we don't need him to dress regularly. Keep him in the press box and for the love of god, let's not scratch Hudon because of him.

Exactly. Deslauriers had a year last year like when Moen had one really decent year scoring goals or like Dale Weise when he potted a bunch... but just not an overly useful player in the big picture of things in today's NHL and now largely overrated because everyone loves his energy and the fact he scored a few goals once in his career at the right time. Meanwhile, Hudon has shown actual talent and can't seem to buy a spot in the line-up on a regular basis. If you want to pressbox Hudon because you have 12 guys like Drouin, Gallagher, Lehkonen, etc. then I understand. But to bench him while you play Shaw, Armia, Peca, Plekanec, DLR, or Deslauriers just didn't and doesn't make any sense.

So... I think I would rather have Hudon back in the lineup over Shaw. Shaw took a couple of dumb penalties last night. An offensive zone penalty in the first period and an unsportsmanlike call later in the game. I believe he was grabbing onto to someone's visor and wouldn't let go. Seems like Hudon is the better option.

4 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

So... I think I would rather have Hudon back in the lineup over Shaw. Shaw took a couple of dumb penalties last night. An offensive zone penalty in the first period and an unsportsmanlike call later in the game. I believe he was grabbing onto to someone's visor and wouldn't let go. Seems like Hudon is the better option.

From what i've seen, my choice would be Hudon over Deslaurier but that won't happen after that extension MB threw at him last year. Shaw is capable of elevating his game, but haven't seen it yet this year. They even gave him some PP time last night over JK. That was a mistake.

37 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

So,,,,, Deslaurier gets 7:21 in ice time last night and that includes killing penalties. If CJ is so uncomfortable with giving him the minutes, then why is he in the lineup? Still looks slow and far from game shape IMO.

It could have something to do with the cage. 

2 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Yes.  If we assume our top 9 are a given (although honestly I would try Scherbak over Armia)  then the guys fighting for those last 3 spots are:

Hudon, Peca, Plekanec, DLo, Shaw  and Scherbak.     I would rank them in this order:    Hudon - Peca - Scherbak - Shaw - Pleakenc- DLo    

The fact that Hudon is a healthy scratch is nuts, unless we're planning on trading someone like shaw or Dlo but i doubt it. 

8 hours ago, maas_art said:

Yes.  If we assume our top 9 are a given (although honestly I would try Scherbak over Armia)  then the guys fighting for those last 3 spots are:

Hudon, Peca, Plekanec, DLo, Shaw  and Scherbak.     I would rank them in this order:    Hudon - Peca - Scherbak - Shaw - Pleakenc- DLo    

The fact that Hudon is a healthy scratch is nuts, unless we're planning on trading someone like shaw or Dlo but i doubt it. 

I'm also not sold on Armia deserving a guaranteed spot in the top 9, nor do I think Byron is a lock there, even if he's played well. But if I'm ranking the same 6 guys you put up, I'd agree for the most part with the exception of the fact that I'd swap Scherbak and Peca... I simply see a need for a guy who can score goals by shooting and give us a better shot on the PP.

But all in all, the point remains the same: we have better options than Deslauriers and maybe even Shaw and yet we aren't using them. Ditto on D when we insert Alzner and Benn ahead of Mete and maybe even Kulak. As I've said, for a team without top-end talent, we simply can't afford to not have superior depth and the ability to play skill at the bottom of our line-up. By removing Hudon and Mete and so on in favor of slower less-skilled players, we're killing our major advantage. Sad that management/coaching decisions could sink us when the players have played well and so many other things have been done right this year.

Did Mete miss the recent games because of illness? I believe he was right back in afterward, no?

Although, I would be quite disappointed if he were removed from the lineup because of a coaching decision... even if we were trying to "showcase" Alzner for a trade (yeah, right...! :lol:).

I like mass_art's idea to try Scherbak on the Byron and Kotkaniemi line instead of Armia. At least for a couple of games. I haven't watched enough to know if Armia has been good or poor overall, but I do know Scherbak on that line could be an interesting experiment.

23 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Did Mete miss the recent games because of illness? I believe he was right back in afterward, no?

Although, I would be quite disappointed if he were removed from the lineup because of a coaching decision... even if we were trying to "showcase" Alzner for a trade (yeah, right...! :lol:).

I like mass_art's idea to try Scherbak on the Byron and Kotkaniemi line instead of Armia. At least for a couple of games. I haven't watched enough to know if Armia has been good or poor overall, but I do know Scherbak on that line could be an interesting experiment.

Actually I think Armia has played well enough on the third line with Kotka... but rather feel Paul Byron has not, Not that Byron is bad, just not as dangerous as he had been previously. I think that perhaps moving Lehkonen to that line would be a better idea. So flip Byron and Lehkonen IMHO. There is still the option of a more offensive speedy 4th line minus Deslaurier and even Shaw... Hudon-Peca-Sherbak for example

1 hour ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Mete was not out for illness it was a hand injury, so I think the idea of playing on the third pairing was, one to limit his minutes as he has missed a couple of games and two to get Alzner and Petry playing together for a bit so when Weber gets back they have already had some playing time together.

36 minutes ago, Habs_Hockey_Nutz said:

Actually I think Armia has played well enough on the third line with Kotka... but rather feel Paul Byron has not, Not that Byron is bad, just not as dangerous as he had been previously. I think that perhaps moving Lehkonen to that line would be a better idea. So flip Byron and Lehkonen IMHO. There is still the option of a more offensive speedy 4th line minus Deslaurier and even Shaw... Hudon-Peca-Sherbak for example

Armia is not skilled enough to play on the third line he missed 2 or 3 glorious setups from Kotkaniemi last night alone, he also had a hard time carrying the puck into the offensive zone once put him back a line and put Schebak in

I like Armia and think he's definitely good enough to play on the third line. Besides, if we're going by missed scoring chances, Lehkonen probably shouldn't be in the discussion for a top 6 gig either. I think Armia complements Kotkaniemi quite well for now, I'd rather try someone else instead of Byron on that line though. Like HHN has said, maybe even Lehkonen for a stretch? That would still give us the option of a Drouin-Domi-Scherbak experiment, even if it's just for a few games. The kid has to play at some point and I don't think the 4th line is the right place for him.

Armia is essentially what McCarron could/should be, a bottom six winger with good size who can chip in with a bit of offense here and there.

3 minutes ago, ChiLla said:

I like Armia and think he's definitely good enough to play on the third line. Besides, if we're going by missed scoring chances, Lehkonen probably shouldn't be in the discussion for a top 6 gig either. I think Armia complements Kotkaniemi quite well for now, I'd rather try someone else instead of Byron on that line though. Like HHN has said, maybe even Lehkonen for a stretch? That would still give us the option of a Drouin-Domi-Scherbak experiment, even if it's just for a few games. The kid has to play at some point and I don't think the 4th line is the right place for him.

Armia is essentially what McCarron could/should be, a bottom six winger with good size who can chip in with a bit of offense here and there.

Yeah i could live with either of them (Armia or Byron) getting replaced on JK's line.  I just dont get a feel than any of the 3 are really working well together - even though I do like all of them for different reasons.    Byron is a garbage goal scorer.  He will be effective playing anywhere but I dont think he'll be more effective by playing with a skilled centre.  Armia is a great defensive player who has terrific speed but seems to lack offensive vision.    So I think either one of them is a partial compliment to JK (and allows him to make the occasional mistake on the defensive side of his game) but the other winger should be someone who thrives next to JK. Someone who is always looking to shoot or make an offensive play.  We have two potential guys (without messing with the other lines) in Hudon or Scherbak.   If we dont want to go that route then put Lehkonen there as I assume a different winger will have equal success next to Drouin-Domi. 

I dont think our lines need a ton of tinkering although i would most definitely be keeping DLo and possibly Shaw out of the lineup unless there are injuries. 

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

Yeah i could live with either of them (Armia or Byron) getting replaced on JK's line.  I just dont get a feel than any of the 3 are really working well together - even though I do like all of them for different reasons.    Byron is a garbage goal scorer.  He will be effective playing anywhere but I dont think he'll be more effective by playing with a skilled centre.  Armia is a great defensive player who has terrific speed but seems to lack offensive vision.    So I think either one of them is a partial compliment to JK (and allows him to make the occasional mistake on the defensive side of his game) but the other winger should be someone who thrives next to JK. Someone who is always looking to shoot or make an offensive play.  We have two potential guys (without messing with the other lines) in Hudon or Scherbak.   If we dont want to go that route then put Lehkonen there as I assume a different winger will have equal success next to Drouin-Domi. 

I dont think our lines need a ton of tinkering although i would most definitely be keeping DLo and possibly Shaw out of the lineup unless there are injuries. 

I agree the chemistry is Just not where it should be on that line maybe replace both Byron and Armia for a game or two to see how Byron-Kotkaniemi-Scherbak work out and slide Byron and Armia back with Peca. I feel like that would boost everyone's play cause both are fast enough to play on Peca's wing and all three would still be a threat to score. I just don't feel like Armia and Byron are good enough of offensive threats to pull attention away from Kotkaniemi and other teams realize that to shut that line down their main objective should be to cover the kid.

• H_T_L locked this topic