The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

State Of The Habs 2018-19

From The Athletic, which has us ranked 30th out of 31 teams in terms of front office (as quoted by The Gazette):

Bergevin took a team with a young core featuring a future Hart winner, future Norris winner, future four-time 30-goal-scorer and a third overall pick and he completely ran it into the ground. The big issue with Montreal is that the team seemingly lacks any vision or plan, and that’s become painfully clear over the last few off-seasons where the team has made a large number of directionless moves, just for the sake of shaking things up rather than actually improving the on-ice product.

2 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

From The Athletic, which has us ranked 30th out of 31 teams in terms of front office (as quoted by The Gazette):

Bergevin took a team with a young core featuring a future Hart winner, future Norris winner, future four-time 30-goal-scorer and a third overall pick and he completely ran it into the ground. The big issue with Montreal is that the team seemingly lacks any vision or plan, and that’s become painfully clear over the last few off-seasons where the team has made a large number of directionless moves, just for the sake of shaking things up rather than actually improving the on-ice product.

Probably the most succinct paragraph Ive seen written about the Bergevin tenure. 

https://montrealgazette.com/sports/hockey/nhl/montreal-canadiens/what-the-puck-canadiens-management-gets-a-failing-grade

What the Puck: Canadiens management gets a failing grade

Harsh criticism is coming fast and furious from many quarters, including ESPN and the Athletic.

First came ESPN’s ranking of how various teams are doing in their rebuild. The Canadiens came in sixth out of nine teams that scribe Greg Wyshynski considered to be in rebuild mode. He perfectly captured their rebuild strategy in one word: “denial.” So right. Bergevin has stubbornly refused to use the R-word — and maybe with good reason, because they’re actually not in a rebuild. Wyshynski notes that Carey Price is turning 31 in August and Shea Weber, who just underwent two surgeries, is celebrating his 33rd birthday the same month. He also highlights uncertainty surrounding the future of Habs captain Max Pacioretty, who will turn 30 in November.

His paragraph on whether the strategy is working is a beautiful piece of sarcastic writing: “Clearly, as Marc Bergevin still has a job, and wouldn’t he have been unceremoniously fired by now were this not the case? Um, right? Anyone? Is this thing on?”

Like most Habs fans and hockey pundits, Wyshynski is perplexed that Bergevin is still gainfully employed after all the damage he has caused.

36 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

Due MB great asset management

Solving the Canadiens’ Waiver Wire Dilemma

https://thehockeywriters.com/canadiens-waivers-scherbak-reilly-mccarron/

Most of the players listed in this article aren't that great. The one guy they really can't expose to waivers is Scherbak, but other than that, none of them really jumps out as a potential impact player. I still think it's silly to lose guys like McCarron or DLR or Rychel or Ouellet while giving roster spots to Alzner, Plekanec, and Deslauriers, but that'a another issue. This author says our prospect pipeline is deep, but if this is what they're referring to, all I'll agree on is that it's full of something!

This team has turned into an egocentric struggle of massive proportions with nothing to show for it. Paccioretty, Price, Weber. All washed up and should be gone IMO. VS the egocentric Management of Bergevin & Molson who focus on intangible excuses. This year's latest being the attitude of the players.

These two clowns are reducing our once proud Habs to a shameful state of affairs and have turned us into the NHL's laughingstock. Bergevin & Molson are the face of losers, not winners and they should be long gone.

The focus must change with a new GM who not micromanage, but instead make our priority of winning the Stanley Cup the number one goal. Start fresh with new blood, a total rebuild and an commitment to the fans of creating a professional, non political, winning culture.

How long is this circus going to be allowed to continue?

21 hours ago, Habs=stanleycup said:

This team has turned into an egocentric struggle of massive proportions with nothing to show for it. Paccioretty, Price, Weber. All washed up and should be gone IMO. VS the egocentric Management of Bergevin & Molson who focus on intangible excuses. This year's latest being the attitude of the players.

These two clowns are reducing our once proud Habs to a shameful state of affairs and have turned us into the NHL's laughingstock. Bergevin & Molson are the face of losers, not winners and they should be long gone.

The focus must change with a new GM who not micromanage, but instead make our priority of winning the Stanley Cup the number one goal. Start fresh with new blood, a total rebuild and an commitment to the fans of creating a professional, non political, winning culture.

How long is this circus going to be allowed to continue?

Until we can get an owner who can stand up to the French media.  

22 hours ago, CANADIENS27 said:

Until we can get an owner who can stand up to the French media.  

i think if MB did not have so long left on his contract he would be fired, that's alot of money to eat, but i'm hoping molson is seeing that players don't want to play here, well the good ones.

MB gave this organization a bad name, let's hope when he's fired it goes with him

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 2:25 PM, jwlk said:

i think if MB did not have so long left on his contract he would be fired, that's alot of money to eat, but i'm hoping molson is seeing that players don't want to play here, well the good ones.

MB gave this organization a bad name, let's hope when he's fired it goes with him

How much does Bergevin have left on his contract?  

It will never happen

https://montrealgazette.com/sports/hockey/nhl/hockey-inside-out/what-the-puck-here-are-a-few-ideas-to-lift-the-habs-from-the-gutter

What the Puck: Here are a few ideas to lift the Habs from the gutter

Montreal Canadiens management needs to stop living in the past, add a president of hockey operations, and stop worrying about language

After 25 years of underachieving, maybe the time has to come to radically change the way the Montreal Canadiens are managed.

Given that I and most other fans are not keen to match the Toronto Maple Leafs’ stunning record of 50 years of failure, I’ve decided to make a few modest proposals that would help pull this once-storied franchise out of the gutter.

The most important thing is that Habs executives must learn to live in the present and not in the past. You might think the idea to be obvious, but the reality is that for a quarter century, successive owners and managers have spent way too much of their energy looking back at the glories of years past and have often built their business model around selling nostalgia to fans.

When Canadiens president Ronald Corey hired Réjean Houle as GM and Mario Tremblay as coach back in 1995 — one of the dumbest decisions in the history of the team — there was a lot of boasting about how the management and coaching team had won some 20 Stanley Cups.

And we all know how that worked out. In other words, it is idiotic to hire old Habs legends and assume the magic of their hockey-playing lives will rub off on your team.

2 hours ago, Regis22 said:

So training camp starts in Sept and the Habs are still a bad hockey club .

If you were expecting improvement you're cheering for the wrong team. I've resigned myself to the fact I'll never see the Habs win another Stanley Cup in my lifetime.

2 hours ago, habs1952 said:

If you were expecting improvement you're cheering for the wrong team. I've resigned myself to the fact I'll never see the Habs win another Stanley Cup in my lifetime.

I agree. UNLESS of course there's a drastic change in our management, ie: bye bye Bergevin and a new owner who can recognize a lousy product and turn it around. Then I'd be more hopeful of seeing our Stanley Cup coming back home in our lifetimes.

• H_T_L locked this topic