Jump to content
The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

State Of The Habs 2018-19


Recommended Posts

46 minutes ago, habsisme said:

I think Hudon will be gone, i don't think he wants to stay, but I'd give him another chance. Hudon had a bad year, previously he showed promise. Personally I would like to see Thompson, Weal and Benn  return at about 1.5 million or less on a 2-3 year deal (1 year deal for Thompson) and I think that will happen. I don't see any reason not give McCarron a contract, its not going to cost much. Not sure about Reilly.

Yup, I think Hudon has soured on the Habs and will seek employment elsewhere. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

IDK, methinks than Benn could be a serviceable 3rd pairing. 

Absolutely

4 hours ago, habsisme said:

I agree, he's been great in that role, i'm a bit dumbfounded by all the hate for him

As I am for the disregard for Folin as his Partner, who in my opinion showed hockey smarts in terms of passing during breakouts

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Habs_Hockey_Nutz said:

Absolutely

As I am for the disregard for Folin as his Partner, who in my opinion showed hockey smarts in terms of passing during breakouts

I don't these guys are going to be expensive. We have to worry about giving playing time to Juulsen but no one else is really breaking through. We need depth at D and these are solid bottom pairing guys

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, habsisme said:

I don't these guys are going to be expensive. We have to worry about giving playing time to Juulsen but no one else is really breaking through. We need depth at D and these are solid bottom pairing guys

But with Brookes, Reilly, Fleury and Juulsen all available I don't see why we need to resign either of them especially if the plan is to get a #1 LHD this off season

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

IDK, methinks than Benn could be a serviceable 3rd pairing. 

 

4 hours ago, Habs_Hockey_Nutz said:

Absolutely

As I am for the disregard for Folin as his Partner, who in my opinion showed hockey smarts in terms of passing during breakouts

 

2 hours ago, habsisme said:

I don't these guys are going to be expensive. We have to worry about giving playing time to Juulsen but no one else is really breaking through. We need depth at D and these are solid bottom pairing guys

 

55 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

But with Brookes, Reilly, Fleury and Juulsen all available I don't see why we need to resign either of them especially if the plan is to get a #1 LHD this off season

 

Yeah i think you're all right to a degree.  I think we need some insurance so I wouldnt be surprised if a guy like Folin or Benn gets resigned & then either press-boxed or sent to the minors.   Coming into next year we have:

Right D:   Weber, Petry, Juulsen, Brook, Fleury  ... there's really no need for a depth guy here.
Left D:  Mete, Kulak, Reilly (?), Others?

So there's a need on LD - and more importantly - none of those guys on LD are as good as our top 2 - maybe even top 3 - RD.  So its not even so much that we need lots of options at LD is that we need a clear-cut #1 at that position.   I think that between Mete, Kulak and maybe a guy like Olofsson (if we resign him) who may actually be better than Kulak if he can ever stay healthy - we should be fine at #2-3 LD  But we need that #1.   That isnt coming internally - at least not for a few years. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, maas_art said:

 

 

 

 

Yeah i think you're all right to a degree.  I think we need some insurance so I wouldnt be surprised if a guy like Folin or Benn gets resigned & then either press-boxed or sent to the minors.   Coming into next year we have:

Right D:   Weber, Petry, Juulsen, Brook, Fleury  ... there's really no need for a depth guy here.
Left D:  Mete, Kulak, Reilly (?), Others?

So there's a need on LD - and more importantly - none of those guys on LD are as good as our top 2 - maybe even top 3 - RD.  So its not even so much that we need lots of options at LD is that we need a clear-cut #1 at that position.   I think that between Mete, Kulak and maybe a guy like Olofsson (if we resign him) who may actually be better than Kulak if he can ever stay healthy - we should be fine at #2-3 LD  But we need that #1.   That isnt coming internally - at least not for a few years. 

Romanov is coming next year, and he's coming in with some experience, not an 18 year old. But aside from that, we have no hope of filling the position internally 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, habsisme said:

Romanov is coming next year, and he's coming in with some experience, not an 18 year old. But aside from that, we have no hope of filling the position internally 

I believe MB said at his presser that there's basically zero chance Romanov is with the team next year.   He said he tried everything he could to get him out of his KHL contract but its not happening

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, maas_art said:

I believe MB said at his presser that there's basically zero chance Romanov is with the team next year.   He said he tried everything he could to get him out of his KHL contract but its not happening

 

yes, sorry, I'm already seeing 2019-2020 as THIS year lol, I mean he will be here 2020-2021, just one year away. And he will be 20-21 then so there is chance he could hit the ground running as a rookie (similarly to how I feel about Poehling)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, habsisme said:

yes, sorry, I'm already seeing 2019-2020 as THIS year lol, I mean he will be here 2020-2021, just one year away. And he will be 20-21 then so there is chance he could hit the ground running as a rookie (similarly to how I feel about Poehling)

Oh gotcha.  Yes I think in one year we'll be in better shape.  I wouldnt be surprised at all if Juulsen and maybe even Brook cement themselves on the main roster by then. 
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Oh gotcha.  Yes I think in one year we'll be in better shape.  I wouldnt be surprised at all if Juulsen and maybe even Brook cement themselves on the main roster by then. 
 

Brook has apparently played the LHD quite a few times these past 2 years and was very effective there ... so you could see :

Mete - Weber

Brook - Petry

Kulak - Juulsen

and Folin/Benn as the 7th guy

There's also Gustav Olofsson who's a LD, Cale Fleury on the right ... we've got a glut of D prospects it seems

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Worst case scenario this season was realized, would have been better to miss by a long shot then to get a 50-50 15th pick.  Making the playoffs may have been MB's goal at the beginning of the season but definitely was not at the deadline, I can see why you'd sit on your hands if your team had no fight, just totally laid an egg but to reward your players with nothing after the year they put in for you is a slap in the face.  I am losing faith in that MB guy again. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, HabsAlways said:

There's also Gustav Olofsson who's a LD, Cale Fleury on the right ... we've got a glut of D prospects it seems

Olofsson really intrigues me. Unfortunately he seems to be made of glass because if he were healthy I think he'd easily be one of our top 2 LHD.  He's better than Kulak and probably better than Mete at this point but can never stay healthy!  Wonder if we will qualify him?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, FanFromAB said:

Worst case scenario this season was realized, would have been better to miss by a long shot then to get a 50-50 15th pick.  Making the playoffs may have been MB's goal at the beginning of the season but definitely was not at the deadline, I can see why you'd sit on your hands if your team had no fight, just totally laid an egg but to reward your players with nothing after the year they put in for you is a slap in the face.  I am losing faith in that MB guy again. 

Actually at the deadline we were in a playoff spot. I think as he said he wasn't going to mortgage the future but also he gave faith into the guys that got them there. I think believing in the guys you have says more than I'll get you help because I don't feel you can make it without. I believe there was a lot of us that thought we are going to make it in. I'm glad he didn't give away 1st or 2nd rounds picks or good prospects because it probably wouldn't of got us far enough to waste it. The team this year sort of grew together also and believed in each other. I would of liked to seen him give Lingren a chance though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, CaptWelly said:

Actually at the deadline we were in a playoff spot. I think as he said he wasn't going to mortgage the future but also he gave faith into the guys that got them there. I think believing in the guys you have says more than I'll get you help because I don't feel you can make it without. I believe there was a lot of us that thought we are going to make it in. I'm glad he didn't give away 1st or 2nd rounds picks or good prospects because it probably wouldn't of got us far enough to waste it. The team this year sort of grew together also and believed in each other. I would of liked to seen him give Lingren a chance though.

I only have two complaints about GM/Coaching. 1) he should have either given Lindgren a chance or got a better back up at the deadline. 2) They needed to something about that powerplay. If ONE of those two would have happened, I have no doubt we would be in the playoffs

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, campabee82 said:

But with Brookes, Reilly, Fleury and Juulsen all available I don't see why we need to resign either of them especially if the plan is to get a #1 LHD this off season

Because these guys are better. Reilly is clearly stunted and missed his trajectory for years. Juulsrn has a lot to prove. And injuries seem commonplace for him. Is he durable or just two soft. 

Fluery? A lot to prove still. 

Keep the guys that are better. And add a good FA D. Chase Forward and D players. And these guys will be affordable. Folin’s ee r t price was good. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, dreegking said:

Because these guys are better. Reilly is clearly stunted and missed his trajectory for years. Juulsrn has a lot to prove. And injuries seem commonplace for him. Is he durable or just two soft. 

Fluery? A lot to prove still. 

Keep the guys that are better. And add a good FA D. Chase Forward and D players. And these guys will be affordable. Folin’s ee r t price was good. 

Reilly is probably out yes.   From Feb 25th to end of season he appeared in one game.

Juulsen yes had two unrelated injuries this year and last year, so a bit unfair to say they are "commonplace".   And I don't think he has anything to prove, he was far better than Benn or Folin this year and the 3rd RD spot is his to lose.  Folin's signing is in case any of the top 6 go down.      You have 3 other prospects currently slated for Laval :  Fleury, Brook and Olofsson.      

Now Olofsson, it's probably fair to say he is made of glass.   Season ending injuries in 2014/15.   Missed 20 games in 2015/16.    Season ending inury 2017/18 and again in 2018/19 and I suspect we don't qualify him unless MB believe he can be a top 1 or 2 pairing LHD.

Brook looks near NHL ready and at most needs a season in Laval.   Fleury is probably there as well.

You can't leave your prospects on the farm forever.   At some point they need to make the jump to the next level and the only way you can assess that is time with the big club.   If MB fills the D spots with UFA's there's zero fiscal reason to call up the rookies and they languish in the AHL.  So unless the Habs sign a top pairing LD for next season ... your D corps most likely includes one of Brook or Fleury, most likely :

Mete - Weber

Kulak - Petry

Brook/Fleury? - Juulsen

Folin

Now if they sign Benn as well ... then I'm just at a loss, because that means they'll have to play one of Benn or Folin ... which a far worse lineup than above.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, HabsAlways said:

Reilly is probably out yes.   From Feb 25th to end of season he appeared in one game.

Juulsen yes had two unrelated injuries this year and last year, so a bit unfair to say they are "commonplace".   And I don't think he has anything to prove, he was far better than Benn or Folin this year and the 3rd RD spot is his to lose.  Folin's signing is in case any of the top 6 go down.      You have 3 other prospects currently slated for Laval :  Fleury, Brook and Olofsson.      

Now Olofsson, it's probably fair to say he is made of glass.   Season ending injuries in 2014/15.   Missed 20 games in 2015/16.    Season ending inury 2017/18 and again in 2018/19 and I suspect we don't qualify him unless MB believe he can be a top 1 or 2 pairing LHD.

Brook looks near NHL ready and at most needs a season in Laval.   Fleury is probably there as well.

You can't leave your prospects on the farm forever.   At some point they need to make the jump to the next level and the only way you can assess that is time with the big club.   If MB fills the D spots with UFA's there's zero fiscal reason to call up the rookies and they languish in the AHL.  So unless the Habs sign a top pairing LD for next season ... your D corps most likely includes one of Brook or Fleury, most likely :

Mete - Weber

Kulak - Petry

Brook/Fleury? - Juulsen

Folin

Now if they sign Benn as well ... then I'm just at a loss, because that means they'll have to play one of Benn or Folin ... which a far worse lineup than above.

I would sign both. There is going to be an injury at some point and Brook/Fleury will be there when it happens. Giving these guys a little over a million is not going to stop the younger guys from beating them for their jobs. I don't see the risk. They played well for us and they are not OLD, 28 and 31, for D men means they could be part of this team in 3-4 years still. 

Maybe I dont know enough about Brook or Fleury but looking at their stats, I think I'm still waiting for Romanov. Brook played 7 games in AHL last season and was -2, had 10 penalty minutes and 1 assist. I'm certain Benn or Folin are better. 

Fleury is another matter, I certainly want to give him a chance to compete, but he's a right shot and only played one season in the AHL. He absolutely deserves some playing time in the NHL this year, but I see him needing another year of minutes in the AHL. There are going to be injuries, and we can rotate Benn, Folin, and Brook (even Juulsen). Plus are we sure Kulak will be as good as last year?

If we trade for or sign an LD then you shouldn't sign both, but otherwise I would

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, HabsAlways said:

Reilly is probably out yes.   From Feb 25th to end of season he appeared in one game.

Juulsen yes had two unrelated injuries this year and last year, so a bit unfair to say they are "commonplace".   And I don't think he has anything to prove, he was far better than Benn or Folin this year and the 3rd RD spot is his to lose.  Folin's signing is in case any of the top 6 go down.      You have 3 other prospects currently slated for Laval :  Fleury, Brook and Olofsson.      

Now Olofsson, it's probably fair to say he is made of glass.   Season ending injuries in 2014/15.   Missed 20 games in 2015/16.    Season ending inury 2017/18 and again in 2018/19 and I suspect we don't qualify him unless MB believe he can be a top 1 or 2 pairing LHD.

Brook looks near NHL ready and at most needs a season in Laval.   Fleury is probably there as well.

You can't leave your prospects on the farm forever.   At some point they need to make the jump to the next level and the only way you can assess that is time with the big club.   If MB fills the D spots with UFA's there's zero fiscal reason to call up the rookies and they languish in the AHL.  So unless the Habs sign a top pairing LD for next season ... your D corps most likely includes one of Brook or Fleury, most likely :

Mete - Weber

Kulak - Petry

Brook/Fleury? - Juulsen

Folin

Now if they sign Benn as well ... then I'm just at a loss, because that means they'll have to play one of Benn or Folin ... which a far worse lineup than above.

I feel the same way. We aren't winning the cup next year so let's get our youngsters some experience in the big league. Having said that, we do need a #1 left D-man.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, habsisme said:

 

Maybe I dont know enough about Brook or Fleury but looking at their stats, I think I'm still waiting for Romanov. Brook played 7 games in AHL last season and was -2, had 10 penalty minutes and 1 assist. I'm certain Benn or Folin are better. 

 

Brook .. 7 games in AHL yes, after 59g and 75pts in WHL tied for WHL lead with 9 games less played than the other guy due to WJC.

Scouting reports are very favourable on Brook ... he potentially will be a top 1 or 2 RD (possibly LD) ... Fluery on the other hand will be a 2nd or 3rd pairing guy at best.

So in 4-5 years 

Romanov - Brook

Mete - Juulsen

?? - Fleury 

I

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, HabsAlways said:

Brook .. 7 games in AHL yes, after 59g and 75pts in WHL tied for WHL lead with 9 games less played than the other guy due to WJC.

Scouting reports are very favourable on Brook ... he potentially will be a top 1 or 2 RD (possibly LD) ... Fluery on the other hand will be a 2nd or 3rd pairing guy at best.

So in 4-5 years 

Romanov - Brook

Mete - Juulsen

?? - Fleury 

I

Potentially and i think he's a good prospect. I just don't think we should get rid of guys who have been good for us. We need depth too

Is Alzner still playing as a bottom 2 dman? If brook is better, Benn's 1.5 million dollar contract will not hurt us. And he's tradable, he will get other offer if he is unsigned on July 1st

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, habsisme said:

Potentially and i think he's a good prospect. I just don't think we should get rid of guys who have been good for us. We need depth too

Is Alzner still playing as a bottom 2 dman? If brook is better, Benn's 1.5 million dollar contract will not hurt us. And he's tradable, he will get other offer if he is unsigned on July 1st

Benn is getting older. Highly unlikely that at this point in his career, coming off as good a season that he's ever had and maybe heading towards his last contract, that he accepts a one-year deal. He's going to want 3 years and probably 2.2-3M a season. Not sure that's a fully tradeable contract if we sign him and decide we don't want him. Just look at what we had to take back to rid ourselves of Schlemko.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, BigTed3 said:

Benn is getting older. Highly unlikely that at this point in his career, coming off as good a season that he's ever had and maybe heading towards his last contract, that he accepts a one-year deal. He's going to want 3 years and probably 2.2-3M a season. Not sure that's a fully tradeable contract if we sign him and decide we don't want him. Just look at what we had to take back to rid ourselves of Schlemko.

Yup.   As much as I like Benn over Folin ... Benn is going to want 2-3m over 3 years to get him to retirement.    

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, HabsAlways said:

Yup.   As much as I like Benn over Folin ... Benn is going to want 2-3m over 3 years to get him to retirement.    

well then no, I'm not signing him. I don't mind 3 years but it has to be between ~1.5AAV otherwise I absolutely agree we shold move on. You can't pay bottom pairing defenseman that kind of money, no matter who it is

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • H_T_L locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...