The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

State Of The Habs 2018-19

4 hours ago, habs1952 said:

If you were expecting improvement you're cheering for the wrong team. I've resigned myself to the fact I'll never see the Habs win another Stanley Cup in my lifetime.

Same here. The best we can hope for a to somehow sneak into the POs for 4 games in the next 2 years.. <_<

1 hour ago, Noob616 said:

Valiev, Shinkaruk, and Olofsson...Olofsson alone is significantly more valuable than Plekanec.

I don't follow prospects , so will any of these make the big club . Im going with probably not to no

https://montrealgazette.com/sports/hockey/nhl/montreal-canadiens/what-the-puck-the-time-has-come-for-canadiens-fans-to-fight-back

Look at the roster … and cry. Here’s a note I got from hardcore fan John Anderson on Monday: “Just glanced at the roster — which hasn’t changed since early July. Holy God. This team is going to be terrible, especially once Max is gone. You know they won’t get the better end of that one. They’ll take the first deal they can get for him. But, in any case, the roster! Oh, man.”

Can you really disagree with John? After this joke of a past season — the second time in three seasons nos Canadiens missed the playoffs — team president Geoff Molson stood before the cameras looking solemn and stony-faced and said this simply wasn’t good enough, that they would do everything to make sure the Habs were better come October.

Guess what? It’s the same C-list team, maybe even worse. Only the cheerleaders think trading Alex Galchenyuk for Max Domi is a game-changer. The nhl.com piece previewing the Habs season is seriously depressing.

Coach Claude Julien actually says in that piece that he likes Domi because he “has a lot of character, grit in his game.” Julien has clearly ingested the Marc Bergevin Kool-Aid and I expect him to appear at training camp wearing one of Bergy’s designer “Attitude is Everything” T-shirts.

It would be funny if it weren’t so sad. Other teams realize getting great players is the key to success, while Bergevin and Julien continue to live in a cartoon world where Steve Ott is the ultimate hockey icon.

It’s simple. The Canadiens were one of the worst teams in Gary Bettman’s league last season and even the most delusional Bergevinite can’t possibly argue that the lineup has been significantly improved over the summer. So they will probably be one of the worst teams once again this coming season and at best, if Price stands on his head, they’ll be middling.

57 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

https://montrealgazette.com/sports/hockey/nhl/montreal-canadiens/what-the-puck-the-time-has-come-for-canadiens-fans-to-fight-back

Look at the roster … and cry. Here’s a note I got from hardcore fan John Anderson on Monday: “Just glanced at the roster — which hasn’t changed since early July. Holy God. This team is going to be terrible, especially once Max is gone. You know they won’t get the better end of that one. They’ll take the first deal they can get for him. But, in any case, the roster! Oh, man.”

Can you really disagree with John? After this joke of a past season — the second time in three seasons nos Canadiens missed the playoffs — team president Geoff Molson stood before the cameras looking solemn and stony-faced and said this simply wasn’t good enough, that they would do everything to make sure the Habs were better come October.

Guess what? It’s the same C-list team, maybe even worse. Only the cheerleaders think trading Alex Galchenyuk for Max Domi is a game-changer. The nhl.com piece previewing the Habs season is seriously depressing.

Coach Claude Julien actually says in that piece that he likes Domi because he “has a lot of character, grit in his game.” Julien has clearly ingested the Marc Bergevin Kool-Aid and I expect him to appear at training camp wearing one of Bergy’s designer “Attitude is Everything” T-shirts.

It would be funny if it weren’t so sad. Other teams realize getting great players is the key to success, while Bergevin and Julien continue to live in a cartoon world where Steve Ott is the ultimate hockey icon.

It’s simple. The Canadiens were one of the worst teams in Gary Bettman’s league last season and even the most delusional Bergevinite can’t possibly argue that the lineup has been significantly improved over the summer. So they will probably be one of the worst teams once again this coming season and at best, if Price stands on his head, they’ll be middling.

Excellent article. Basically says it all.

Molson's beer products are bad enough. Now the Habs are his second-most failure IMO.

5 hours ago, Regis22 said:

So what did the Habs get for trading  TP to the Leafs. N O T H I N G :)

5 hours ago, Noob616 said:

Valiev, Shinkaruk, and Olofsson...Olofsson alone is significantly more valuable than Plekanec.

Don't forget we also got Plekanec back for free! I don't know that that's a good thing, but we basically got those prospects for nothing. The question is really what alternative trade MB could have made for Plekanec, but personally, I think MB made a good move. The 2nd alone was good value.

As for Shinkaruk, sounds like we traded a dime for two nickels. Doubt Rychel or Shinkaruk amounts to a lot, but I do feel like he dealt Rychel because they couldn't come to terms (maybe Rychel wanted more money, maybe he wanted a one-way deal, etc.), so Bergevin agreed to take a player back who would sign here for his terms. Which isn't to say the trade is a loss or a win, but it's another example of MB maybe making a trade based on things other than who's better on the ice. Same old same old.

16 hours ago, Regis22 said:

I don't follow prospects , so will any of these make the big club . Im going with probably not to no

I just don't really get this criticism of the trade, I don't know what you expected to get for an expiring 35 year old Plekanec. Nobody is giving away young NHL-ready talent for 35 year old Plekanec as a rental. Would you trade Lehkonen for Brian Boyle? Juulsen for Dan Hamhuis? Of course not. 

They got a 2nd for him and took Jacob Olofsson in this year's draft. He's an excellent prospect, 6'2" center that had 22P in 41GP in the Allsvenskan last season while playing in a heavy defensive role on a team that got promoted to the SHL and looked excellent as the matchup center against Jack Hughes in the U20 showcase Sweden-USA games. Of course he's not guaranteed to be an NHL player - no 2nd round pick is, but he's a really strong prospect with a unique combo of size, skill, hands, and excellent defensive play from such a young age.  

Valiev is a solid top 4 AHL defenseman with decent NHL potential, I wouldn't be shocked if he emerges as the clear best out of the collection of Ouellet/Benn/Alzner/Reilly/Schlemko/Despres at training camp, and even if he's just in the AHL that's fine depth to have. Rychel and Shinkaruk are long shots, they're unlikely to be NHLers but again they're fine to have as AHL depth and have an outside shot at being NHL contributors. 

13 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Don't forget we also got Plekanec back for free! I don't know that that's a good thing, but we basically got those prospects for nothing. The question is really what alternative trade MB could have made for Plekanec, but personally, I think MB made a good move. The 2nd alone was good value.

Yeah just the 2nd was great value and it happened to turn out even better by getting a prospect as strong as Olofsson. I still have decent hopes for Valiev, he has some potential and he could be the best of the collection of 3rd pair LDs at camp, and even if not he's a good player to have in Laval. 

13 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

As for Shinkaruk, sounds like we traded a dime for two nickels. Doubt Rychel or Shinkaruk amounts to a lot, but I do feel like he dealt Rychel because they couldn't come to terms (maybe Rychel wanted more money, maybe he wanted a one-way deal, etc.), so Bergevin agreed to take a player back who would sign here for his terms. Which isn't to say the trade is a loss or a win, but it's another example of MB maybe making a trade based on things other than who's better on the ice. Same old same old.

Meh, I bet both players just wanted a shot at a new team, I think Rychel saw that Deslauriers is blocking him from being the token gritty 4th liner and Shinkaruk was probably getting squeezed out of Calgary since they want grit in their bottom six. Neither player has much more than an outside shot, at least Shinkaruk is the better skater while Rychel has a lot of overlap with McCarron stylistically. 

17 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Sometimes the better on the ice when its fringe or maybe players. If Rychel did only want a one way contract that actually is a big deal at this time because of all the guys were having fighting for those few spots and then to have to clear waivers. I would actually have to defend MB on this one.

6 hours ago, Noob616 said:

Yeah just the 2nd was great value and it happened to turn out even better by getting a prospect as strong as Olofsson. I still have decent hopes for Valiev, he has some potential and he could be the best of the collection of 3rd pair LDs at camp, and even if not he's a good player to have in Laval. 

Meh, I bet both players just wanted a shot at a new team, I think Rychel saw that Deslauriers is blocking him from being the token gritty 4th liner and Shinkaruk was probably getting squeezed out of Calgary since they want grit in their bottom six. Neither player has much more than an outside shot, at least Shinkaruk is the better skater while Rychel has a lot of overlap with McCarron stylistically. 

Could be, but odd to acquire Rychel and then feel he's struggling so much that he needs a change of scenery after such a short stint. Not sure I can buy that argument. Again, not to say the trade is a loss, just a little odd to acquire a guy and then flip him so quickly without much of a chance.

2 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Could be, but odd to acquire Rychel and then feel he's struggling so much that he needs a change of scenery after such a short stint. Not sure I can buy that argument. Again, not to say the trade is a loss, just a little odd to acquire a guy and then flip him so quickly without much of a chance.

Maybe MB wanted another smurf.

A big change is coming to the Bell. This year at center ice, there will be one huge Habs logo, instead of 2 smaller ones. I know, I know, it's not the change we've all been hoping for, but it's starts with baby steps. :P

ch.jpg

• H_T_L locked this topic