The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

State Of The Habs 2018-19

Im starting to think the same

https://montrealgazette.com/sports/hockey/nhl/hockey-inside-out/what-the-puck-canadiens-brass-shanks-one-with-pacioretty-golf-tourney

The worst thing to do is hide under your desk — or bend the truth. It’s going to be a long, tough year for the Canadiens’ executives. In all likelihood, the team will be a failure on the ice, my money says Carey Price will remain troubled if for no other reason than the fact he has a pathetic defence corps in front of him, and if Patches isn’t traded, he and team management will have to face daily questions about his contract status.

7 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

A big change is coming to the Bell. This year at center ice, there will be one huge Habs logo, instead of 2 smaller ones. I know, I know, it's not the change we've all been hoping for, but it's starts with baby steps. :P

ch.jpg

Like the salary cap, this is just another way to save money. Use less paint.

9 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

A big change is coming to the Bell. This year at center ice, there will be one huge Habs logo, instead of 2 smaller ones. I know, I know, it's not the change we've all been hoping for, but it's starts with baby steps. :P

ch.jpg

Maybe Molson told Bergevin that if he wanted to keep his job, he had to shore up the situation at center...

On 08/24/2018 at 9:12 PM, Regis22 said:

Im starting to think the same

https://montrealgazette.com/sports/hockey/nhl/hockey-inside-out/what-the-puck-canadiens-brass-shanks-one-with-pacioretty-golf-tourney

The worst thing to do is hide under your desk — or bend the truth. It’s going to be a long, tough year for the Canadiens’ executives. In all likelihood, the team will be a failure on the ice, my money says Carey Price will remain troubled if for no other reason than the fact he has a pathetic defence corps in front of him, and if Patches isn’t traded, he and team management will have to face daily questions about his contract status.

They will also be wishing they did not sign Price to that horrible contract. They are in big trouble this season.

2 hours ago, Larry-Launstein-Jr said:

They will also be wishing they did not sign Price to that horrible contract. They are in big trouble this season.

(THEY) As in Bervevin & Molson are responsible for this horrible contract. They are both intransigent and arrogant and don't care what we think of as fans.

You're right, our team is in big trouble this upcoming season.

Hopefully it will be enough to effect major changes.

1 hour ago, Habs=stanleycup said:

(THEY) As in Bervevin & Molson are responsible for this horrible contract. They are both intransigent and arrogant and don't care what we think of as fans.

You're right, our team is in big trouble this upcoming season.

Hopefully it will be enough to effect major changes.

Molson has backed Bergevin so many times I wouldn't expect any changes until the 2022/23 season lest Molson embarrass himself and admit he royally screwed up.

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

2018-19: Lose for Hughes

2019-20: La Derniere, Pour Lafreniere

Holey crap, this kid is amazing. 80 PTs. in the Q as a 16 year old???? Just watch a Youtube on him. :4845:

26 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

Holey crap, this kid is amazing. 80 PTs. in the Q as a 16 year old???? Just watch a Youtube on him. :4845:

Where have you been! Marc Bergevin has been selling Geoff Molson on sucking big time for the next two years just to get this kid... how else do you reason his decisions? :)

3 hours ago, CANADIENS27 said:

Would anyone be surprised if someone else signs Pacioretty as a UFA?  Or is Bergevin just waiting for someone to make an offer he can't refuse?  

He'll screw this up, too.

I took a bit of a break from hockey over the summer. I wanted to red team my opinions about the team to make sure I wasn't falling into a loop. And to be honest, I wanted to be a little less annoyed and frustrated. The future of this team still looks profoundly bleak, and I have no faith in the front office.

You cannot, in today's NHL, pay goalies and defencemen as much as this team does and rebuild.45% of the cap. Rebuilding by definition requires flexibility. At any time you can have high-level talent fall into your lap, whether via drafting or high risk/high reward trades. We cannot make the kind of all-in moves you have to be open to. So even if (and it's a big if, at this point) we get extremely lucky with drafting or trading in the next 2-3 years, we will almost certainly only be able to do it once. Our hands will be tied by the Price, Weber, and Alzner contracts.

How is Claude Julien going to handle a team spinning its wheels? I like the man, and I think he's legitimately a high-end coach in the NHL. This isn't a great situation for him to be in, however.

The Pacioretty stuff.

I'm still probably going to buy Centre Ice this year, but I don't know how much fun it's going to be. It's so irritating to see the team where it is now, totally unnecessarily. All unforced errors.

Go Habs Go.

1 hour ago, habs_93 said:

I took a bit of a break from hockey over the summer. I wanted to red team my opinions about the team to make sure I wasn't falling into a loop. And to be honest, I wanted to be a little less annoyed and frustrated. The future of this team still looks profoundly bleak, and I have no faith in the front office.

You cannot, in today's NHL, pay goalies and defencemen as much as this team does and rebuild.45% of the cap. Rebuilding by definition requires flexibility. At any time you can have high-level talent fall into your lap, whether via drafting or high risk/high reward trades. We cannot make the kind of all-in moves you have to be open to. So even if (and it's a big if, at this point) we get extremely lucky with drafting or trading in the next 2-3 years, we will almost certainly only be able to do it once. Our hands will be tied by the Price, Weber, and Alzner contracts.

How is Claude Julien going to handle a team spinning its wheels? I like the man, and I think he's legitimately a high-end coach in the NHL. This isn't a great situation for him to be in, however.

The Pacioretty stuff.

I'm still probably going to buy Centre Ice this year, but I don't know how much fun it's going to be. It's so irritating to see the team where it is now, totally unnecessarily. All unforced errors.

Go Habs Go.

I'm not so upset about paying goalies and defencemen as I am about who those goalies and defencemen are and what age they are for the amount of term that was given to them. A team can go out and pay a core of Subban-Josi-Ellis-Ekholm or Jones-Werenski-Bobrovsky or so on. You roll with the opportunities you have, and I actually believe building your team around an elite D corps can be just as promising as building around elite centers. D men spend a lot more time on the ice.

The problem is when you're paying a past-prime 33 year-old defenceman top dollar for another 8 years. The problem is when you have a 31 year-old who's the highest-paid goalie and signed for another 8 years too. The problem is thinking Alzner is an elite free agent worthy of a long-term overpayment. The problem is believing you can trade Sergachev and Beaulieu and let Markov walk because Schlemko, Benn, and Alzner are better (or at least suitable NHLers when they aren't).

If we had Subban, Sergachev, Petry, and Seth Jones as a top 4, I'd be perfectly okay with paying them 45% of our cap. If we had a 26 year-old Carey Price whom we believed to be elite, I'd be fine with his making 10M for the next 8 years. The problem is that Bergevin has no clue what constitutes talent and as such, he's traded away guys at their lowest possible value and filled the holes with plumbers and grinders. Paying those guys is what hurts, because they don't have the talent or because they're past prime and we're paying them for what they used to be instead of what they will do for us. I've said all along that anyone can be GM and just award contracts based on last year's performance. It takes a GM who can correctly predict where players' career paths are going to make it work.

9 hours ago, habs_93 said:

It's so irritating to see the team where it is now, totally unnecessarily. All unforced errors.

This is the key for me & why this is the most difficult it has ever been for me as a habs fan.  We didnt need to be in the position we're in right now.  We're exponentially worse because of the moves MB has made.  Had we fired Gauthier and hired a GM that did NOTHING for 6 years we'd be in a better position right now. Its so incredibly frustrating & 100% on bergevin and Molson. 

Another excellent article by Brendan Kelly. He tells it like it is, and as most of us see it. Is Brendan Kelly one of our members in disguise? ;)

What the Puck: Canadiens' noxious atmosphere has fans, players gasping

Pretty well all the pundits are predicting that it's going to be a terrible season for the Montreal Canadiens. The only people who don't agree are the Habs' managers.

This Montreal Canadiens season is going to be just about as bad as most of us expect.

“Aside from right-wingers led by Brendan Gallagher, Montreal ranks in the bottom 10 at every position.”

The Athletic also had its annual piece where an executive, a player and a coach evaluate the 31 teams’ chances this year. In this piece, our beloved Habs end up in the lowest-of-the-low category, appropriately named Lose For Hughes. The most interesting comment comes from the anonymous player, who says: “There’s so many moving parts and a lot of question marks. The way they’ve treated Pacioretty, it’s such a weird culture there.”

And it is such a weird culture. I think we Habs fans have become so used to the bizarre world of the Montreal Canadiens under general manager Marc Bergevin that we have almost begun to think it’s normal. Well this player quote is our reality check. It isn’t normal. It’s totally mucked up.

The bleu-blanc-et-rouge finished 28th in a 31-team league last season and Bergevin, in front of team owner Geoff Molson, said the main cause of that apocalyptic collapse was the players’ attitudes. Think about that for a second. Bergevin has managed the team for six seasons, so it is unquestionably his team and his roster, yet rather than be an adult and take responsibility for his failure, he blames it on the players he chose.

So most everyone, except Molson and Bergevin, expect the team to tank. Worse, they probably won’t even finish last and have a good shot at hot prospect centreman Jack Hughes, projected by many as the No. 1 pick in the 2019 NHL Entry Draft. I say that because if Carey Price is even half of his usual old self, they will land higher than last season.

Meanwhile the Max Pacioretty saga just gets worse and worse. On Friday, Patches’s agent, Allan Walsh, told Mitch Melnick on TSN 690 that the rumour that his client had asked for a trade was simply not true, a story put out there by Canadiens management.

“Max Pacioretty has never, never ever, requested a trade out of Montreal, period,” Walsh told Melnick. “End of story. And I’ll say something else. Two very well-respected and well-known journalists in the province contacted me over the last few days, telling me that the Montreal Canadiens were shopping a story to them personally about how Max had requested a trade in previous years.”

I tend to believe Walsh simply because it is one mighty odd coincidence that the story about Patches requesting a trade just happened to hit the media exactly when the heat was being turned up on Bergevin & Co. for their handling of the affair. And that story once again comes back to what the anonymous player said about the Canadiens’ weird culture.

Why is the atmosphere so poisonous surrounding the team? This isn’t new. In fact, to be fair, it goes back to before Bergevin, under the reign of Pierre Gauthier. What if the real reason high-profile players won’t come to Montreal is because they talk to their friends — players such as P.K. Subban, Andrei Markov, Lars Eller, Devante Smith-Pelly, Alexander Radulov etc — and hear just how unpleasant it is to play here.

https://montrealgazette.com/sports/hockey/nhl/hockey-inside-out/what-the-puck-canadiens-noxious-atmosphere-has-fans-players-gasping

ok just throwing this idea out there not like anyone in management would actually attempt this, but what does everyone think of making the Senators an offer that would be hard to refuse for Karleson. Say sand Pacioretty, Byron and Danault to the Sens for Karlson and a draft pick. Then make up the following lines.

1. Drouin, Kotkaniemi, Gallagher

2. Lehkonen, Peca, Sherbak

3 Domi, Plekanec, Armia

4. De La Rose, Freose, Shaw

D

1. Karlson, Weber (interm Petry)

2. Mete, Petry, (interm Alzner)

3. Alzner Benn (interm Juulsen) then depending on how Juulsen preforms sending him to Laval or trading Benn for draft picks at a later date

G

1. Price

2. Niemi

3. Mason

1 hour ago, campabee82 said:

ok just throwing this idea out there not like anyone in management would actually attempt this, but what does everyone think of making the Senators an offer that would be hard to refuse for Karleson. Say sand Pacioretty, Byron and Danault to the Sens for Karlson and a draft pick. Then make up the following lines.

I think it would be easy to refuse as they have been purportedly been getting lots of good offers for multiple young pieces.   We are just in too similar a position as ottawa.  They need to trade with a contending team that would offer up the future to win now.  

Only way you're getting Karlsson on this roster, most likely, would be an offer of Kotkaniemi + Mete + Danault + pick.     Maybe - maybe - you could appeal to Melnyck's cheap side & orchestrate a deal involving Weber for Karlsson (they get a top pairing dman whose actual salary goes down and down while his cap hit stays high) but even then I think you'd have to throw in a top quality prospect like Mete or Poehling.

I dont think they'd have any interest in older players like Byron and Pacioretty and I just dont think we are a good fit for a swap. 

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

Only way you're getting Karlsson on this roster, most likely, would be an offer of Kotkaniemi + Mete + Danault + pick.     Maybe - maybe - you could appeal to Melnyck's cheap side & orchestrate a deal involving Weber for Karlsson (they get a top pairing dman whose actual salary goes down and down while his cap hit stays high) but even then I think you'd have to throw in a top quality prospect like Mete or Poehling.

Yeah, I suppose your right but we also are too weak at center to offer up a legitimate number 1 NHL ready center for Karlsson. However I do like the idea of Weber and Mete for Karlsson. Would not like to see Poehling in there either though. At least that way you can get a decent reliable defense men who is not out injured more than he is playing.

• H_T_L locked this topic