The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Poll: What to do with Pacioretty?

BigTed3

If these are your only options, which of the following would you choose aas GM?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. If these are your only options, which of the following would you choose aas GM?

• Trade Pacioretty for a 2019 2nd rounder, 2019 3rd rounder, and 2020 2nd rounder
    • Re-sign Pacioretty for 7 years at 7.5M
    • Let him play out his current contract and try to trade him at the deadline

On 8/13/2018 at 1:29 PM, habs1952 said:

Why should I believe what management tells me? Management has been telling me a lot of things over the past few years and yet the team gets worse every year. It's profit over product for the Habs and it's pretty much been that way since 1993.

Good answer for the post below

9 hours ago, jwlk said:

just don't like giving excuses for the poor team, this team by managements own mouth is what they put together to compete, saying there rebuilding gives them an out when this team crashes again. 

Does it really matter what the excuse will be? If it is up to Marc Bergevin he'll have one/some... valid or not depends on what people accept as believable.

• 2 weeks later...

I definitely believe the Habs are in full rebuild mode. As we have seen through the efforts to trade him last season, there just isn't much of a market for him unless he has a big season. His track record has shown that he's capable of it, but I don't see it happening on this team. And since there appears to be a full rebuild going on, I say trade him for the draft picks and go from there. I believe it's a numbers game and the more players they can actually get in and develop, the better. They might actually get some good players with those picks, but don't bet the farm on it given MB's current track record.

I wonder if Max still wants to stay and believes he can outlast Bergevin? Like, does Bergevin potentially get canned after this season... because it seems like it's going to be another down year. Does a potential new G.M. consider keeping Pacioretty in town? As years come off of Bergevin's contract, Molson's patience will eventually run short... especially as we keep missing the post-season. Can Pacioretty prove his value and then make his way back here in July 2019?

2 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I wonder if Max still wants to stay and believes he can outlast Bergevin? Like, does Bergevin potentially get canned after this season... because it seems like it's going to be another down year. Does a potential new G.M. consider keeping Pacioretty in town? As years come off of Bergevin's contract, Molson's patience will eventually run short... especially as we keep missing the post-season. Can Pacioretty prove his value and then make his way back here in July 2019?

Obviously if Max wants to stay on this version of the Habs he can't be very motivated to win a cup because this team isn't going anywhere but down.

38 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

Obviously if Max wants to stay on this version of the Habs he can't be very motivated to win a cup because this team isn't going anywhere but down.

I don't know... He clearly loves Montreal and wants to be here. Maybe he believes the team will turn around in 2-3 years and that he can be apart of that.

On 23/08/2018 at 10:49 AM, jennifer_rocket said:

At the end of the day he wants 8 million and hes absolutely not an 8M player. let someone else make that mistake. we have to get something for him, and even if thats gonna be below market value , just take it and lets get this over with.its been bungled enough til now. 

5 hours ago, jeff33 said:

At the end of the day he wants 8 million and hes absolutely not an 8M player. let someone else make that mistake. we have to get something for him, and even if thats gonna be below market value , just take it and lets get this over with.its been bungled enough til now. 

I think he's worth 8M on the open market now. I don't think he's worth 8M in 4 years or in 6 years, if he wants a long-term deal, and is he the right guy to build around? Like you, I have doubts about that. But that being said, the counter points are these:

1. We have no scoring from elsewhere, so it's a big dump to just let him go for little to nothing.

2. Re-signing him doesn't mean you have to keep him for the entire length of his deal. If his trade value us rock bottom now, it might be better with a contract under him (if you don't screw up the negotiation) and I'm almost certain he'll rebound and score well this year. Or, like I've stated as my preference, you don't deal him now and you let him play into the season and see if his value jumps towards the midway point or trade deadline. If all we're getting now is a 2nd rounder or so, it's virtually guaranteed you'll get the same or better by the deadline (Plekanec got a better package for Pete's sake!).

I think it's the wrong move to panic and trade him just to move him. He's a valuable asset, if not to us than to someone else, and it would be a mistake to sell low on him like we've done with so many others. Build him up, trade him when his value peaks more.

Max had his golf tournament today. Molson, Bergevin, and Julien all showed up, albeit their interaction with Max seemed brief and forced. Max confirmed for the media that the Habs have not made him an offer and that there have been no negotiations despite his wish to stay in Montreal long-term. His new agent Allen Walsh stated the same thing. The ball appears to be in Bergevin's court at this time, and he has still yet to make any public comment on why there have not been any negotiations.

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

Max had his golf tournament today. Molson, Bergevin, and Julien all showed up, albeit their interaction with Max seemed brief and forced. Max confirmed for the media that the Habs have not made him an offer and that there have been no negotiations despite his wish to stay in Montreal long-term. His new agent Allen Walsh stated the same thing. The ball appears to be in Bergevin's court at this time, and he has still yet to make any public comment on why there have not been any negotiations.

no matter the end game (trade him, trade and sign, sign him) its just flat out dumb to play it how Bergevin has. 

he's going to need to get very lucky to get out from under this situation on the winning side of things. 

UPDATE - Habs new transparency

https://www.tsn.ca/pacioretty-s-agent-takes-aim-at-habs-over-sources-1.1165072

Obvious these “sources” are coming from the club. Max will always take the high road and repeats again, he is ready to sign an extension with Montreal TODAY. It was Montreal that traded Max to LA at the draft and it was a DONE DEAL subject to Max signing an extension with LA.

Per Marc De Foy of Le Journal de Montreal, Pacioretty’s camp will not negotiate in-season, which means if the winger is traded after this month it will most likely be as a rental.

Its an understandable play from Patches' camp who must feel like he's sort of in no-man's land but it sure hurts our odds of getting a decent return.  

Interestingly, Serge Savard yesterday mentioned how he felt this was similar to the Claude Lemieux issue when he was GM and Savard said he "made one of the worst trades of my life. I had to rush and trade, but this is a completely different situation."   Savard was quite critical of Bergevin which is interesting as he was one of the guys who was pushing for him to be hired in the first place.   Everyone, except for molson, seem to be turning on MB... 

With both Pacioretty and Karlsson being in identical situations and adding Byron and Danault to the deal both teams would feel like winners even if either team is unable to sign the respective players next year. however because of the proximity of Ottawa to Montreal it would mean both families would not have to completely uproot and move far which would also be a positive selling point to the players. The deal could work out IF both sides could see the benefits and get past the players playing in the same division which in today's NHL GM's don't like to do.

3 hours ago, maas_art said:

Per Marc De Foy of Le Journal de Montreal, Pacioretty’s camp will not negotiate in-season, which means if the winger is traded after this month it will most likely be as a rental.

Its an understandable play from Patches' camp who must feel like he's sort of in no-man's land but it sure hurts our odds of getting a decent return.  

Interestingly, Serge Savard yesterday mentioned how he felt this was similar to the Claude Lemieux issue when he was GM and Savard said he "made one of the worst trades of my life. I had to rush and trade, but this is a completely different situation."   Savard was quite critical of Bergevin which is interesting as he was one of the guys who was pushing for him to be hired in the first place.   Everyone, except for molson, seem to be turning on MB... 

He had 1 job to do really this offseason. We had 3rd overall pick, you cant help but take someone good. We (the fans) didnt expect or really even want any of the UFA out there, aside from Tavares, and he was such a big fish no one is mad we didnt get him. All this guy had to do was make a good trade for pacioretty, that was his one real job. COMPLETE botch job. I mean maybe some team surprises us with an offer but at this point....Id say we are officially screwed. its time to accept we are getting pennies on the dollar and just take it. How this man has a job still is mind boggling to me. 

23 minutes ago, jeff33 said:

He had 1 job to do really this offseason. We had 3rd overall pick, you cant help but take someone good. We (the fans) didnt expect or really even want any of the UFA out there, aside from Tavares, and he was such a big fish no one is mad we didnt get him. All this guy had to do was make a good trade for pacioretty, that was his one real job. COMPLETE botch job.

Totally agree.    It sounds like he had a deal in place from LA and then when that fell through - poof. No more. No more leads, no more offers. nothing.  One has to question how creatively MB was marketing Patches or if it he was simply waiting for the deals to come to him. 

23 minutes ago, jeff33 said:

I mean maybe some team surprises us with an offer but at this point....Id say we are officially screwed. its time to accept we are getting pennies on the dollar and just take it. How this man has a job still is mind boggling to me.

Only way we luck out is if two teams are vying for Patches.   if there's only one interested team we're royally screwed.   If two or more teams are putting in offers there's still a chance we walk away with something good but I think MB needs to be able to think outside the box.  Accept the best package available and flip it if necessary. Involve a 3rd team.  Do something.

Despite what Walsh says, Yvon Pedneault insists that Pacioretty did ask for a trade last year - sort of.  He (Pedneault) says that Pacioretty said effectively "well maybe a trade is for the best" to Molson after MB had floated the idea to the player.  So its sort of a 'each side trying to blame the other' type deal to save face with the fans.  Ultimately it sounds like MB and the team grew tired of Patches before he did the team.   The crap part (and MB bungling thing once again) was not moving him before it became a distraction and MP's value was lowered

Pednault suggests that a trade may well come before training camp, possibly in the next few days. He believes MB is  busy on the phones right now.  
https://www.journaldemontreal.com/2018/08/31/pacioretty-en-transit

Brendan Kelly suggesting that there are offers coming in for Patches but that they are all quite low.   He didnt mention any names and right now i think its pure speculation.  The only thing Ive heard is Vegas offering Shea Theodore but im not sure if thats just a fan's suggestion because he would be a good fit. Obviously Montreal would want a lot more and unless Vegas could resign Patches, im not sure LV would offer much more. 

2 hours ago, maas_art said:

Despite what Walsh says, Yvon Pedneault insists that Pacioretty did ask for a trade last year - sort of.  He (Pedneault) says that Pacioretty said effectively "well maybe a trade is for the best" to Molson after MB had floated the idea to the player.  

lol........that';;s not asking for a trade

Leave it Pedneault to kiss MB's butt

6 hours ago, maas_art said:

Totally agree.    It sounds like he had a deal in place from LA and then when that fell through - poof. No more. No more leads, no more offers. nothing.  One has to question how creatively MB was marketing Patches or if it he was simply waiting for the deals to come to him. 

Only way we luck out is if two teams are vying for Patches.   if there's only one interested team we're royally screwed.   If two or more teams are putting in offers there's still a chance we walk away with something good but I think MB needs to be able to think outside the box.  Accept the best package available and flip it if necessary. Involve a 3rd team.  Do something.

Patches isn't going anywhere unless he gets an extension of 7 years at 8 mil/per yr. And that's what he's going to be demanding from the Habs. He'll be a free agent next summer.

21 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

Patches isn't going anywhere unless he gets an extension of 7 years at 8 mil/per yr. And that's what he's going to be demanding from the Habs. He'll be a free agent next summer.

I think he'll take 7 x 7M at this point. But agreed, he wants stability on a long-term deal and he wants to be in a location of choice. Maybe he wants a long-term NTC here. Maybe he'd accept going to New York or Florida or Tampa or something like that. I don't believe he won't negotiate in season, I think that's just a ploy from Walsh to force the Habs' hand. If the Habs present a sign-and-trade whereby Pacioretty gets himself 8 years at 7M or 7 years at 7.5M and it's to a team he'd be okay with signing with, I think he'd take that security and move on. At the end of the day, I think he likes Montreal and I think he especially loves being captain of the team and doesn't want to give that up, so I think he's sign right away if we offered him 7 years at 7+M. I think he's less certain about sticking around with MB here and I wonder if MB has threatened to take away the captaincy and whether that's caused any of the rift.

Habs must get a fair return for Pacioretty, no way can we let him play out the remainder of his contract and get nothing in return .

Bergevin has no choice but to try & get as much as he can in such a tight market .

No more waisting time, now is the time to trade or get a good pick or two for the future .

On 9/5/2018 at 8:20 AM, maas_art said:

1 hour ago, CANADIENS27 said:

Pacioretty now says he will not negotiate an extension once the season begins saying he wants to minimize distractions.  

Interesting, where have we heard that before? :rolleyes: