2018-19 If I were GM

819 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Barring any major trades, you have at a minimum

Mete-Weber

Reilly-Petry

Kulak-Juulsen

Brook or Fleury

I'd already take that top 6 without Benn ahead of him right now, notwithstanding whoever else is able to make the jump or whoever else we sign. I can't envision a situation where I feel a need to bring Benn back. At his age, he'll be the same or worse going forward, and I'd rather give a younger guy experience and get a better puck-mover in to help the forwards. That's my 2 cents on this.

Yup....and at his age Benn will be looking for more than a 1 or 2 year deal.

2 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Barring any major trades, you have at a minimum

Mete-Weber

Reilly-Petry

Kulak-Juulsen

Brook or Fleury

I'd already take that top 6 without Benn ahead of him right now, notwithstanding whoever else is able to make the jump or whoever else we sign. I can't envision a situation where I feel a need to bring Benn back. At his age, he'll be the same or worse going forward, and I'd rather give a younger guy experience and get a better puck-mover in to help the forwards. That's my 2 cents on this.

And those 8 don't even include Romanov as our potential 1 LHD or Olofsson who could play bottom pair right now cause he has NHL experience

25 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

And those 8 don't even include Romanov as our potential 1 LHD or Olofsson who could play bottom pair right now cause he has NHL experience

The chance of Romanov coming to the NHL within the next two years is nearly zero.  Romanov has a KHL contract that is valid for the 2019-20 season.  A player with a valid KHL contract can not break this contract in order to go to the NHL.  Theoretically Montreal could 'compensate' the KHL team (like LV did for Shipachyov) but its highly unlikely for a player like Romanov right now. 

Even if there was an NHL/KHL agreement, because he was picked in the 2nd round (not the first) he cant be "forced over" - the term they use for 1st rounders like JK -  despite a valid Liiga contract.

In the meantime his KHL team can negotiate a new contract with Romanov at any given time, Montreal can not.

I still think Romanov will come over but its EXTREMELY unlikely it will be in the next 2 - 3 years. 

1 minute ago, maas_art said:

The chance of Romanov coming to the NHL within the next two years is nearly zero.  Romanov has a KHL contract that is valid for the 2019-20 season.  A player with a valid KHL contract can not break this contract in order to go to the NHL.  Theoretically Montreal could 'compensate' the KHL team (like LV did for Shipachyov) but its highly unlikely for a player like Romanov right now. 

Even if there was an NHL/KHL agreement, because he was picked in the 2nd round (not the first) he cant be "forced over" - the term they use for 1st rounders like JK -  despite a valid Liiga contract.

In the meantime his KHL team can negotiate a new contract with Romanov at any given time, Montreal can not.

I still think Romanov will come over but its EXTREMELY unlikely it will be in the next 2 - 3 years. 

If I was MB I would attempt to buy out his KHL contract. Also there is no rule saying that MB can't talk to the kid and tell him we want you and we want you as our #1 LHD essentially negotiating with the kid but not technically. So IMHO I would at least try and get him over here for next season cause you WILL NOT succeed if you don't even try.

11 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

If I was MB I would attempt to buy out his KHL contract. Also there is no rule saying that MB can't talk to the kid and tell him we want you and we want you as our #1 LHD essentially negotiating with the kid but not technically. So IMHO I would at least try and get him over here for next season cause you WILL NOT succeed if you don't even try.

Sorry to be clear what I meant was compensate the KHL team not buyout his contract

I would love to have Edmonton's 1st rounder. They can use a winger. Someone like Tatar or Shaw, add Hudon, a 4th rounder (we have 2 2nds, 4ths and 5ths), you may be able to dump a Schlemko or Benn (retain salary on Schlemko). Probably still not enough, add Lindgren? I don't know if its possible, they could probably get more of a piece from someone else (Simmonds) but we can offer them 2 or 3 pieces with term (just not at the same level). With our prospect pool, walking in to next years draft with 2 1sts (possibly both lottery picks) and 2 2nds would really be something

4 hours ago, habsisme said:

I would love to have Edmonton's 1st rounder. They can use a winger. Someone like Tatar or Shaw, add Hudon, a 4th rounder (we have 2 2nds, 4ths and 5ths), you may be able to dump a Schlemko or Benn (retain salary on Schlemko). Probably still not enough, add Lindgren? I don't know if its possible, they could probably get more of a piece from someone else (Simmonds) but we can offer them 2 or 3 pieces with term (just not at the same level). With our prospect pool, walking in to next years draft with 2 1sts (possibly both lottery picks) and 2 2nds would really be something

Problem is the Oilers would need to dump cap space to sign anyone so you may have to take back Lucic as well

Hmm. Romanov definitely won't be playing in Montreal next season. Brook... I suppose it's possible, but I'm skeptical. Even this season we saw how Mete and Juulsen looked ready for prime-time and were both returned to the minors. Yes, Mete is back now, but there's no guarantee he makes the opening night roster next season (however, I believe he will). I honestly don't mind the idea of Benn back as the 7th D. Assuming Bergevin doesn't do anything else to improve the D, that is.

Mete - Weber

Reilly - Petry

Kulak - Juulsen

Benn

You are always going to have players in and out of the line up for a variety of reasons. So if we could sign Benn for no more than two years at 1.5 - 2 per I'd take him back. He has looked a lot better recently and I think he can remain decent if used properly. Early this season without Weber back our d didn't look near as good. With a healthy full d it puts players back where they can do better. 

Could we pitch Karl Alzner to the Ottawa Senators? If Stone and Duchene leave before the deadline, they'll have approximately $34 million in cap space for next season. Karl Alzner and Columbus's second round draft choice for, like... Ottawa's seventh round draft choice?

55 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Could we pitch Karl Alzner to the Ottawa Senators? If Stone and Duchene leave before the deadline, they'll have approximately $34 million in cap space for next season. Karl Alzner and Columbus's second round draft choice for, like... Ottawa's seventh round draft choice?

Don't know if it's just me, but if i'm a GM from ANY other team i would only consider that deal for a mid to high 1st round pick and a chunk of salary (30% minimum ) retained. Yes,,,Alzner is that bad. 

1 hour ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I don't see why we need to do that. We don't need the cap space. Would rather keep Alzner and then buy him out if we ever need the money.

If anything I want to receive second round picks for taking on bad contracts

2 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Ottawa is one of the places that i think might be interested in Alzner - but maybe not quite yet. 

His cap hit is $4.6m but after next season he gets paid like $3m or something a season (he had a front-loaded deal).  So a guy always looking to save actual dollars like Melnyck may well be interested in Karl.

The real problem is that he doesnt appear to be an NHL quality defensman anymore.  Even if it was say #4-6, despite a contract that pays him like a #2-3 a cheap owner may like that contract but if you cant play him at all, there's no point in adding him.   

I think it would be a really tough sell to move Alzner unless we either take back another really bad deal, add a huge incentive to take him, or its part of some big 6-8 player swap which i would definitely stay away from based on the chemistry this team is showing right now. 

Mass_art, Beyond Thomas Chabot, what does the rest of Ottawa's defensive core look like? Are they all noticeably better than Alzner? If so, point taken... but maybe they have terrible defenders too? :D

Habsisme, but maybe (just maybe) we MIGHT need some cap space next season? Who knows? Having more of it wouldn't be a bad thing, especially if we're trying to acquire a top-4 LD. We also need to resign Lehkonen, Armia, and Kulak. None are likely to make BIG money, but I would guess they will each be receiving a raise.

5 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Mass_art, Beyond Thomas Chabot, what does the rest of Ottawa's defensive core look like? Are they all noticeably better than Alzner? If so, point taken... but maybe they have terrible defenders too? :D

Habsisme, but maybe (just maybe) we MIGHT need some cap space next season? Who knows? Having more of it wouldn't be a bad thing, especially if we're trying to acquire a top-4 LD. We also need to resign Lehkonen, Armia, and Kulak. None are likely to make BIG money, but I would guess they will each be receiving a raise.

Sure but is that maybe worth giving up a second round pick? Not to me. Worry about it when we need it and right now probability is that we don't

14 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Chabot is obviously miles ahead of him and id say Ceci, Lajoie, Jaros are all quite a bit better.   Depth guys like Demelo and Borowiecki are better - maybe not a lot - but make a ton less money.

They also have some good young prospects like Englund, Bergman and Tychonick coming up through the ranks, although some of them wont be ready for a few years. 

The other thing to remember is that there's been talk about Karlsson still really loving Ottawa.  Ive heard some analysts speculate that - at very least - he will wait to hear what offer Ottawa makes this summer before deciding where to go, so its possible, if Melnyck opens the purse stings a little, that EK comes back to the sens. 

I think that you could make a case for trading say, Alzner 1 for 1 for Bobby Ryan, although he's had a bit of a resurgence this year so maybe not.   The difference here is that Bobby Ryan makes a lot more money (and his cap hit is actually lower than his salary) but is still a useful player. Alzner's cap hit is quite a bit higher than his salary (at least after next year) so that could be enticing to Melnyck.  Ryan is owed $22.5m over the next 3 seasons after this one.  Alzner is owed $11.1   Both are way overpaid obviously but i think you could make an argument for Ryan being an upgrade over some of our RW while Alzner is worse than anyone else on our blueline. 

If I were GM I would be looking to bolster my roster to make sure that we make the playoffs, falling just short of the playoffs at this point would be the worst case scenario IMO. 

I do not know who exactly but a proven player that can score, plays PP and is responsible 2 way player, that shoots right...

I am ok with the D as is, as I think they have proven that they can hang with the best of them when healthy but if a LHD with term is available then I would jump at that too.

It might seem costly(and an unpopular opinion) but I would even give up our first rounder for one of those two players (or get both from one team maybe?) 

I do not think that this team is one or two players away from being a contender but I do believe that anything can happen in the playoffs, and even if we get bounced in the first round then you have some young guys that just garnered a taste of PO experience to go along with this successful season. 

The only other option is to sell, sel,l sell, and tank, tank, tank (imagine how your players would respond to this though).

At this point finishing last in the NHL is  better than just missing the playoffs for these habs (or just about anyone for that matter) 

I think the players have earned themselves a push from the GM, what do you guys think? 

Lots of rumors out of Florida about Huberdeau being on the block. Boughner didn't deny it when asked about it, which is never a good sign for a player... if I were MB, I'd ask them if they were interested in flipping Huberdeau for Drouin straight up. Don't really know what Florida wants, other than to maybe shake up their line-up a bit and not get too old doing it.

26 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Lots of rumors out of Florida about Huberdeau being on the block. Boughner didn't deny it when asked about it, which is never a good sign for a player... if I were MB, I'd ask them if they were interested in flipping Huberdeau for Drouin straight up. Don't really know what Florida wants, other than to maybe shake up their line-up a bit and not get too old doing it.

The rumors are they want Panarin and Bobrovsky so they need to make cap space & for whatever reason, Huberdeau is the guy they are thinking about moving. It seems like an odd move but if thats the case, i feel like they'd want someone cheaper. 

If he's truly on the block, I believe a deal centred around Huberdeau for Gallagher would probably work. 

29 minutes ago, maas_art said:

The rumors are they want Panarin and Bobrovsky so they need to make cap space & for whatever reason, Huberdeau is the guy they are thinking about moving. It seems like an odd move but if thats the case, i feel like they'd want someone cheaper. 

If he's truly on the block, I believe a deal centred around Huberdeau for Gallagher would probably work. 

I wouldn't give up our hardest working player for Huberdeau. Gallagher is pretty well the heart and soul of this team imagine how the others around the room would react to the loss of him

After watching last nights performance I have think it's time to send Niemi to retirment and bring up Lindgren.  The team doesn't seem to have any confidence in him, and Price can't play every game.  I know we all say we need a forward but man I think I would rather see a deal for a D man, 

2 hours ago, 26NCounting said:

After watching last nights performance I have think it's time to send Niemi to retirment and bring up Lindgren.  The team doesn't seem to have any confidence in him, and Price can't play every game.  I know we all say we need a forward but man I think I would rather see a deal for a D man, 

Yeah, Niemi's performances have been... Unpredictable this season. He's had a few heroic moments to go along with many, many poor outings. If Price gets injured before the season ends, I don't have much confidence in Niemi being able to win many games.

21 hours ago, campabee82 said:

I wouldn't give up our hardest working player for Huberdeau. Gallagher is pretty well the heart and soul of this team imagine how the others around the room would react to the loss of him

i agree with this. He is one of the engines that drive this team. With all the young players we have coming to this team over the next few years Gallagher if exactly the player oi want to keep........ Anyone of  Droiun, SHaw, Byron, Lekonen, and a pick if they want or a second tier prospect like jake evans. nop deeman though....

22 hours ago, maas_art said:

Agreed that they may want to dump salary to some degree, but the fact they're silently shopping Huberdeau also tells you they deem him to be expendable.

I know there is some dissent as to whether we should deal Gallagher for Huberdeau, but I'd do it for the following reasons:

1. Huberdeau is a tad younger, but not by much so that doesn't factor in a whole lot. What worries me more about Gallagher is his style of play and durability in the long run. I think he's a great player and he's on a fantastic contract, but I've always liked Huberdeau, so to me this is more about the guy you're acquiring and the fact you're giving up a guy whose health could be a question down the line (much like Shaw's).

2. This team has a wealth of smaller forwards... Gallagher, Domi, Byron, Hudon, Drouin, and so on. Huberdeau is a little big bigger and uses his size better, and I think he could be a better complement to the rest of the roster. If the Panthers prefer to go prospect and pick, I'd gladly give up our 1st rounder this year and a guy like Lehkonen, Hudon, Evans, Ikonen, or so on to get a deal done. Huberdeau is one player who would be worth it. Acquiring Huberdeau for other assets would also free you up to trade Drouin in a separate deal then, which might accomplish the same thing as trading them straight up against each other.