H_T_L

2018-19 If I were GM

819 posts in this topic

I'm wondering if Ryan Murray could be available... pending RFA who hasn't lived up to his draft position. Injuries are a real concern but maybe we could get him without giving up too much. He won't put us over the top but he's mobile and plays smart, even though there doesn't seem to be much offence he'd probably be our #1 LHD by default. I'd prefer Werenski but I don't see CLB trading him unless you totally blow them away with an offer.

Just an outside the box thought.  What if you were to sign say a Connor Mackey out of Minnesota State.  He’s 22 could fit in well on either side of Petry or Weber.  If we’re going to keep the youth movement going and Romanov isn’t ready to make the jump.  I mean sure we can overspend on an NHL ready UFA or overpay on a trade, but grabbing a college UFA (ala Will Butcher) could potentially be the answer for MTL.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=187536

Posted (edited)

I read an opinion article somewhere that Montreal should chase after Shayne Gostisbehere. Left-handed, 26 years old, signed to a reasonable cap hit... He certainly checks a lot of the boxes. Seems like he will consistently put up 35+ points. Is his defensive work any good? I feel like it would take a pretty enticing package to pull him out of Philadelphia.

Edited by jennifer_rocket

15 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I read an opinion article somewhere that Montreal should chase after Shayne Gostisbehere. Left-handed, 26 years old, signed to a reasonable cap hit... He certainly checks a lot of the boxes. Seems like he will consistently put up 35+ points. Is his defensive work any good? I feel like it would take a pretty enticing package to pull him out of Philadelphia.

I think it would be a good pick up but is he available? I doubt it. All these opinion pieces make little sense to me, I haven't heard of any LD being available. The only one that I can think of that seems reasonable is Olli Maatta but I wouldn't be super excited to get him, but we could probably get him for cheap

12 minutes ago, habsisme said:

I think it would be a good pick up but is he available? I doubt it. All these opinion pieces make little sense to me, I haven't heard of any LD being available. The only one that I can think of that seems reasonable is Olli Maatta but I wouldn't be super excited to get him, but we could probably get him for cheap

I mentioned Maatta once before in exchange for either Hudon and Reilly or Hudon and McCarron.  The 2 factors that work in our favor is that Pitt is tight to the cap and have such a depleted prospect pool from 4 straight years of going all in that McCarron and Hudon would actually be an upgrade.  BTW-Otto Leskinen just signed a 2 year contract with us.  He could be a dark horse to make the club. 

25 minutes ago, habsisme said:

Yeah, I guess the foundation for the whole idea is based on Philadelphia and Montreal both missing the playoffs. I suppose sometimes people assume that means a team is willing to make a big change. Probably not founded on anything else. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what MB decides to do as the draft approaches.

The tough position we are in is that we have some decent defensmen. I think everyone can agree that our right side is stacked.  On the left side though, we do have some quality.  Mete & Kulak as well as a handful of other players should provide ample depth for positions #2LHD and #3LHD.   The problem is #1.   We need someone who is demonstrably better than Mete or Kulak. Someone as good Petry and Weber.   Maybe we have that guy in our system already (or will draft him this year) but he's clearly not going to be ready next year - or likely even the year after - and Im not sure we've even identified him yet (Maybe Romanov? Maybe someone else? dunno).

So the quetion is, do we try to get a guy like  Murray or Mackey or Maata etc and try to fill that LHD side by committee (hasnt worked great for us so far) or do we swing for the fences and trade a top 6 foward to get a top 3 LHD?   Or, the other option is that we try to land a "Jeff Petry Type" Player - over 30 still seems to have wheels - and hope he has a few good years left in him. 

Im personally leading towards the middle option (go after a Ghost, Nurse, Werenski, Klefbom etc - by moving one of our wingers (a strength) but not sure at all what MB is going to do. 

I feel like he's most likely going to play it safe. He'll probably sign an UFA LHD, and maybe make a few trades that bring us in another couple of depth dmen.  

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

The tough position we are in is that we have some decent defensmen. I think everyone can agree that our right side is stacked.  On the left side though, we do have some quality.  Mete & Kulak as well as a handful of other players should provide ample depth for positions #2LHD and #3LHD.   The problem is #1.   We need someone who is demonstrably better than Mete or Kulak. Someone as good Petry and Weber.   Maybe we have that guy in our system already (or will draft him this year) but he's clearly not going to be ready next year - or likely even the year after - and Im not sure we've even identified him yet (Maybe Romanov? Maybe someone else? dunno).

So the quetion is, do we try to get a guy like  Murray or Mackey or Maata etc and try to fill that LHD side by committee (hasnt worked great for us so far) or do we swing for the fences and trade a top 6 foward to get a top 3 LHD?   Or, the other option is that we try to land a "Jeff Petry Type" Player - over 30 still seems to have wheels - and hope he has a few good years left in him. 

Im personally leading towards the middle option (go after a Ghost, Nurse, Werenski, Klefbom etc - by moving one of our wingers (a strength) but not sure at all what MB is going to do. 

I feel like he's most likely going to play it safe. He'll probably sign an UFA LHD, and maybe make a few trades that bring us in another couple of depth dmen.  

It's funny you Mention Darnell Nurse, because I got wondering the other day if Ken Holland would be interested in bringing Tuna to Oil town

Well... We signed Otto Leskinen to a two-year entry-level contract. I guess he's expected to provide some LD depth in Laval.

2 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Well... We signed Otto Leskinen to a two-year entry-level contract. I guess he's expected to provide some LD depth in Laval.

Yes I think there's still an outside chance he's a #4-6dman in the NHL but he wont solve our problems right now.  Was interested in him last year too but it sounds like he's still pretty raw defensively. If thats true, no way Julien & co let him play on the bigs until he's been conditioned for a bit in the minors. 

Meanwhile, with the "new" coaching staff in Philly (read: Dinosaurs) it may well be worth trying to sell them some 'quality vets with grit" to try to get a kid like Ghost or Sanheim off their roster.

2 hours ago, maas_art said:

Yes I think there's still an outside chance he's a #4-6dman in the NHL but he wont solve our problems right now.  Was interested in him last year too but it sounds like he's still pretty raw defensively. If thats true, no way Julien & co let him play on the bigs until he's been conditioned for a bit in the minors. 

Meanwhile, with the "new" coaching staff in Philly (read: Dinosaurs) it may well be worth trying to sell them some 'quality vets with grit" to try to get a kid like Ghost or Sanheim off their roster.

Shawzie for Sanheim?

37 minutes ago, East_Coast_Juggalo_13 said:

Shawzie for Sanheim?

Andrew Shaw probably does have some value right now. He had injury problems, but he also produced really well when he was in the lineup. 47 points in 63 games is pretty impressive. If there was ever a time to sell Shaw, it's now.

4 hours ago, East_Coast_Juggalo_13 said:

It's funny you Mention Darnell Nurse, because I got wondering the other day if Ken Holland would be interested in bringing Tuna to Oil town

I feel like MB may like Tuna too much cause he sells tickets and is a fan favorite like Gallagher. I wouldn't be opposed to going Tuna + ? For Nurse or Klefblom just don't know if MB would

1 hour ago, East_Coast_Juggalo_13 said:

Shawzie for Sanheim?

I think we might have to sweeten it but I could totally see Philly being into Shaw.  

Maybe Shaw + Prospect for Sanheim

39 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Andrew Shaw probably does have some value right now. He had injury problems, but he also produced really well when he was in the lineup. 47 points in 63 games is pretty impressive. If there was ever a time to sell Shaw, it's now.

I agree. I really like shaw. His game last year was outstanding, but i am still totally worried about his longevity.

That said, I feel like MB wont trade him. I think a year ago, when his value was at an all time low he might have but now that he's coming off a .75PPG season MB wont trade him.  

43 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

I feel like MB may like Tuna too much cause he sells tickets and is a fan favorite like Gallagher. I wouldn't be opposed to going Tuna + ? For Nurse or Klefblom just don't know if MB would

Sorry I'm lost, who is tuna?

43 minutes ago, maas_art said:

I think we might have to sweeten it but I could totally see Philly being into Shaw.  

I agree. I really like shaw. His game last year was outstanding, but i am still totally worried about his longevity.

That said, I feel like MB wont trade him. I think a year ago, when his value was at an all time low he might have but now that he's coming off a .75PPG season MB wont trade him.  

I don't know, i think he might. I really like Shaw too. I'm certainly not trying to get rid of him but our top 9 is full as it is and thats not including Suzuki or Poehling.  Shaw, Drouin are players I could definitely see leaving and I think MB would make that move if it was for a good LD

7 minutes ago, habsisme said:

Sorry I'm lost, who is tuna?

I don't know, i think he might. I really like Shaw too. I'm certainly not trying to get rid of him but our top 9 is full as it is and thats not including Suzuki or Poehling.  Shaw, Drouin are players I could definitely see leaving and I think MB would make that move if it was for a good LD

Tuna is Tatar...I got thinking now that ex-Wings GM Ken Holland is now the GM in EDM that maybe he'd be interested in re acquiring Thomas Tatar for Darnell Nurse.  I don't see it happening but it is fun to speculate.

4 minutes ago, East_Coast_Juggalo_13 said:

Tuna is Tatar...I got thinking now that ex-Wings GM Ken Holland is now the GM in EDM that maybe he'd be interested in re acquiring Thomas Tatar for Darnell Nurse.  I don't see it happening but it is fun to speculate.

ah yeah I could see that

Tuna is staying here unless someone offers us something stupidly amazing for him he is a great player.

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, maas_art said:

What about Shaw + Juulsen for Provolov? I hate to give up Juulsen but if it means we get Povolov or Sanheim or even Gostisbehere I would be open to it cause we have others who can step into the 3rd pairing RD with ease. Then maybe we can get a winger like Ehlers or Skinner to play with Drouin and Domi

Edited by campabee82

9 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

What about Shaw + Juulsen for Provolov? I hate to give up Juulsen but if it means we get Povolov or Sanheim or even Gostisbehere I would be open to it cause we have others who can step into the 3rd pairing RD with ease. Then maybe we can get a winger like Ehlers or Skinner to play with Drouin and Domi

I would do it but if players aren't available its hard to make a deal. I don't think Flyers are interested in giving up those players. Ditto for Ehlers. I'm on board for trying to sign Skinner though

1 minute ago, habsisme said:

I would do it but if players aren't available its hard to make a deal. I don't think Flyers are interested in giving up those players. Ditto for Ehlers. I'm on board for trying to sign Skinner though

Ehlers may be available for the right price as the Jets only have (I think) something like 15-20 mil to resign Liane, Conner, Tanev, Trouba, Meyer and others

If no contract is signed before the 1st I would have an offer sheet in front of Marner so fast, give up the picks.  I truly believe the kid has the talent and drive to build the team around.

1 minute ago, 26NCounting said:

If no contract is signed before the 1st I would have an offer sheet in front of Marner so fast, give up the picks.  I truly believe the kid has the talent and drive to build the team around.

I agree but I don't think he would come to Montreal being that he was born in Toronto but who knows maybe he would

1 minute ago, campabee82 said:

I agree but I don't think he would come to Montreal being that he was born in Toronto but who knows maybe he would

yeah I don't think so either, and while I'd love to have Marner, 4 first round picks would be a pretty steep price to pay. Given the Leafs cap situation, they may not match and just take the picks 

Given everyone that has been signed over the last month or so of the 7 remaining FA's on our roster I only see Armia, Lehkonen and Kulak as likely to be resigned if we could do it for say 2 mil each for Armia and Lehkonen and 2.5 mil for Kulak. We will need to trim the roster down for opening day, the list of players I would be trying to move would be Weise, Shaw, Deslauriers, Peca for sure but also would look at moving Tatar, Drouin, Byron, Thompson and Lehkonen of the forwards for a top pairing LHD. On D its a little more complicated I would consider anyone on the right side and anyone from Kulak on back as long as the return was a #1 LHD +